Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spiffyguyc
    Same functionality for the 600 can be found here.
    Incorrect claim. Different functionality. To train or not to train, that is the question.
    Hey, one of you lucky new 650 owners......... tell us about voice dial from VoiceSignal.
    1. It is supposed to come as a free trial with the 650.
    without a head set, press a button and then either say a name or a number.
    If a name, it will search your contacts for the name and either dial or ask for home, work, or mobile and then dial.
    With numbers, it is supposed to dial and save for later contact set up in contacts.
    It is supposed to work with a wired headset, ?d partially work with a bluetooth headset. The final working with a bluetooth headset is supposed to come soon with a patch.
    The program that comes with the 650 is supposed to work for 14 days and rhen you have to buy the program for $19 or $25 or something.
    Is this right?
    How does the program work?
    Does it recognize you contacts names?
    How many errors?
    Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    Incorrect claim. Different functionality. To train or not to train, that is the question.
    There is a difference between fuctionality and methodology. Same end functionality, different method. Posted for those reading this thread who may not know the 600 can have voice-dialing capability. If you want to be a smartass about it, you've succeeded. Some in this forum are waiting for the GSM 650, or not upgrading at all, and looking for voice dialing on the 600. Pardon me for suggesting an option.
    No the functionality is not the same. I have 800 people in my address book. The software you suggested would take hours to program and lots of memory. I think a lot of people are in agreement on this and these programs have been around for a while. Most of us have seen this already.
    Hmmm just loaded it and got the message that it will only work with under 3,000 contacts... I have 5,000+
    My 650 came with the Software CD but I didn't see the Voice Dial demo app. Where is it?

YoungTurk
    One question: Does it require the use of a hands-free headset, or will it work with the built in mic and speaker? I have little use for headsets, but a reliable voice-dail would be great.

Second question: (OK, I lied.) Have you tried it in a noisy environment, like a car in motion?

Thanks,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiffyguyc
    There is a difference between fuctionality and methodology. Same end functionality, different method. Posted for those reading this thread who may not know the 600 can have voice-dialing capability. If you want to be a smartass about it, you've succeeded. Some in this forum are waiting for the GSM 650, or not upgrading at all, and looking for voice dialing on the 600. Pardon me for suggesting an option.
    Thanks for the lesson in the English language. While you're too busy taking constructive posts personally, I'm simply trying to learn all about the voice dialing apps that are emerging while clarifying the facts. I'm not attacking you personally so you shouldn't take it personally. Lets stick to the facts so everyone can learn about this stuff. If you'd like to continue this, please IM or PM me to spare the rest of the TC community.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    One question: Does it require the use of a hands-free headset, or will it work with the built in mic and speaker? I have little use for headsets, but a reliable voice-dail would be great.
    No worries, it does not require the use of a hands-free headset and works beautifully with the built-in microphone and speaker. Good luck!
    JBoogie............... great to hear I have been asking about this program that is coming with the Treo 650, and there are very few posts.
    Can you elaborate a bit about your experience? How many contacts? does it recognize your command every time or almost every time?
    Did you do the number train?
    Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    Hi Folks - I am with the software developer VoiceSignal and I would be happy to try and help clarify as many questions as I can...

First, to let everyone know, VoiceSignal supports about 35+ different handsets with our client software, mainly as the intergrated speaker independent voice dialing solution built into phones from Samsung, Motorola, etc. you can see them all here (including the recently released Treo 650):

http://www.voicesignal.com/products/gallery.shtml

I mention this only to make a distinction between the SW application itself and the integration with any specific device, which is very specific to that particular device. We have found in our experience that each different device platform has its own set of unique limitations that have nothing to do with our app, making each handset have slightly different issues - Bluetooth is a great example of this - our app can and does support Bluetooth provided that the device platform can provide the proper interfaces...

We have some great experience seeing this work very well as in the Motorola V710 (Verizon) and the Sendo X (European GSM smartphone) whereby the button on the side of the headset will trigger VoiceSignal and the user can control their phone with the headset audio channel - this is the way it should be done... very nice user experience.

On some other platforms like the Treo 650 (and frankly, the Motorola MPX 220) where the SW interfaces either weren't ready or unavailable, unfortunately, this is a limitation - but thankfully a temporary one... for the Treo 650 - I know that there is a high degree of awareness of this issue and it will be resolved as soon as possible, but there are no specific dates in place from Palmone yet. For our app, we just need a trigger event (button push) and an audio signal from the microphone and we are good to go! For the time being on Treo 650, this is limited to the wired headset and the built-in microphone only.

Also, on the max # of contacts, the app on Treo 650 does have a limitation to only 3000 names at this time. There will be an update made available in the short term (hopefully by end of 2004, maybe early 2005) whereby this limitation becomes 10,000 names. This particular issue has some big impact on the use of RAM on the device and it needs to be dealt with carefully without loosing performance.

The actual voice recongition engine built into the application itself is more or less the same engine that is shipping in all of those other phones on our product gallery above, so it is a proven solution. A typical speaker will find that performance is very good in a wide variety of noise conditions... We build this stuff to work in places where a typical user will typically find themselves - in the car, in a train, at the airport, in a restaurant, etc.

That being said - and welcome to the wonderfully uncertain world of speech recognition - it will not be 100% all of the time for every user... until we figure out the magic code of how the human ear works, that ain't gonna happen! so modify your expectation appropriately and be amazed with how well our speech scientists have figured out how to get as close as they can :-)

In any case, the overall performance should exceed that of a "voicetag" system because with those older-style VR apps, unless you train your voicetag in all of these different noise environs, it will not work as consistently across the board... in our case, since we build-in all of the different noise environments up front, it will handle it much better across the board - the best of both worlds - no training and better performance overall.

Also, this particular version of the VoiceSignal application supports US English speakers... what does this mean? it means that for a typical US English speaker, it will rock. The "typical speaker" includes people all the way from Beantown to the Bronx to Texas to Chicago, etc.... it is built to be robust and handle all of the regional accents.

Now, for Treo 600 users - keep the faith - its coming soon! However, it never hurts for you to let the manufacturer know how you feel in order to speed it up - squeeky wheel gets the grease!

I will try to check this thread daily to see if anything comes up, but I hope that this information is helpful!!!
    Actually, I have a question. I relied heavily on voice dialing on my old handset, and didn't even wait to try the trial version but went straight to purchasing the full install. Now it seemed to install itself just fine, but when I fire it up, it goes to the "please wait" screen with a message about indexing my contacts.

There it sits.

I've let it run for 30 minutes or more. I don't have anything close to 3000 contacts, yet it never gets past that screen. Is this an isolated occurence, or has anyone else reported this?

Scott
    (also eagerly awaiting a handsfree patch...)
    Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. --Greg Bear
    VST1, wow now that's a clear answer. I wish that we could get answers like that on the 650.
    VST1, thanks very much for your input on this thread. I like your software and found it worked well when speaking into them mic. However, on the stock Treo wired headset, I got very poor results. This was while driving my car with windows up, music off (as quiet as it can be). Any thoughts on this?

Also, I have all system sounds to vibrate as I do NOT want my handheld making noise when I'm with patients. The 650 has a volume on OR off button at the top of it. With volume off, there is NO prompt from VS during dialing and no audible confirmation/clarification. If I turn the volume switch on, then the audio feedback from VS comes out the speaker instead of the earpiece! I really want to use your product, but my dilemma is the following: I want feedback from the software before it dials, to avoid calling the wrong person. But, the only feedback I seem to be able to get is a loud voice coming out my speakerphone which is unacceptable to me (I can think of no situation in which I want everyone around me to know who I am calling or even that I am making a phone call). Is there a way to have the program feedback come through the earpiece like all other mobile phones?

Thanks very much!
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    The problem I've found with using voice dial is that it automatically wants to dial the extension for a contact as well which always gives me an operator message saying the number is incorrect.
    Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. That was great!

Oh...consider this a squeak for the 600 version!!!
    another t600 SQUEAK
    I'm a newbie when it comes to all the Treo technical stuff. Is there no way to create some sort of work around/ hack to get the 650 to turn on voice dialing with just the side button and then hit the BT headset button and have it take over? It seems so close and yet so far . . .
    Just keep swimming, swimming, doot do do doot
    Quote Originally Posted by hysmith
    Actually, I have a question. I relied heavily on voice dialing on my old handset, and didn't even wait to try the trial version but went straight to purchasing the full install. Now it seemed to install itself just fine, but when I fire it up, it goes to the "please wait" screen with a message about indexing my contacts.

There it sits.

've let it run for 30 minutes or more. I don't have anything close to 3000 contacts, yet it never gets past that screen. Is this an isolated occurence, or has anyone else reported this?
    I'll second that ! I have the exact same problem. The lack of feedback regarding the nature of the failure from Voice Dial is frustrating!
    VoiceDialer PRO by Grover Industry will be released on Monday. Features that you will not believe or even possible. check it out www.groverind.com

Voice Dialer PRO works on T600 and T650.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast