Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JCM3
    Does anyone notice that the website looks totally fake, has NO security and asks for your Social Security #, DOB, and Drivers License # ??

Yeh, right!

Let's see I want to provide my SS# for what reason? so that someone can steal my identity and use my credit cards etc........
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    And all of tooslo's postings were done in this thread from 1 to 5. He is a first time poster here and this is what he offers. I think he is part of the scam.

He has gotten suspiciously quiet.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCM3
    NO security and asks for your Social Security #, DOB, and Drivers License # ??
    You have to ask yourself why any legitimate site needs this information. You should never give your SSN or Drivers License # to a website, since providing this information opens you up to identity theft. The only time I've ever been asked for my SIN (Canadian equivalent of SSN) on a website was for a credit card application and in that case it was clearly marked as optional. (I did not supply it.) Buyer beware.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Thats dumb if they need your ss number, I hope no one gives it out just to buy this phone, unless your giving it to sprint to do the credit check thing. I dont think a phone company should have that either tho,
    I would be suspicious too, but to be fair, a SSN is used to check credit for new cell phone service. So its not completely whacked out. But I would still go to a store or a known site if I am giving out that kind of info.

Also, for someone to be "suspiciously quiet", well, not everyone lives on these boards every second of every day. Some people have actually been known to take a break once in a while - sometimes even a whole day or two away
    Back to the old, "If it sounds too good to be true..." Buyer beware.
    Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Palm Treo 600 -> Palm Treo 650 -> Palm Treo 700p -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Treo 800w -> Palm Centro ->Palm Pre!
  7.    #27  
    DaleReeck - you are right, I do not live on these boards.

I have to say that now all of you have me wondering a little bit about this offer. I have ordered one and spoke to someone on the phone before I did. But, the web site is a little unprofessional and is not secure. However, I did have to give my SS# when pre-ordering from another site (palmone I think). I will let all of you know when and if I get the phone from OTI. Also, if you have a question and want to speak to someone, send an email to the "questions@..." email address. I did and got an immediate response which included a phone number.

Lastly, I am attaching am image of the offer that was passed out at my office meeting so that you can see where I got the info. I will talk to the office manager to see if I can get any more info on where she got it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    never give your ss # out on line. never!

come on people you should be smarter then that.
    FWIW (and don't take my advice), I think this may be legit. When I was reading this thread earlier today I was worried about it being a scam. Then when others started voicing their concerns I did some Google searching and came up with a couple of things:

Exhibit A:
    http://www.macdill.org/newsletter/pdfs/September04.pdf
    -This is a PDF from the MacDill Federal Credit Union. Go to page two and look at the column on the right. It lists this company (Open Technologies LLC) in a list of companies that are new to offering "perks" to MacDill members.

Exhibit B:
    https://perks.macdill.org/merchants.cfm
    -This is a "perk" search page. Search for "Sprint" and you'll see Open Technologies LLC listed as offering some Sprint offers.

What do these things prove? Not much. The company could still be a swindler of some sort, but it would at least seem to show that this isn't simply a web site that was thrown together within the last week for the sole purpose of conning Treo 650 fanatics.

Of course, left out of the discussion here are the ethical questions of whether or not non-realtors should be trying to take advantage of this offer (assuming it is legit).

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Well this doesn't bode well...

I just tried emailing them and it bounced back.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    yes I had the same problem with attemptong to email tihs morning, which was why I posted looking for the phone number. I finally found a number by going to the root url (not clicking "home").
    Quote Originally Posted by PWC Realtor
    Anyone also notice on the site that there are calling plans on there that are not even offered by Sprint's website i.e. the unlimited plan and the plans with 3500+ minutes, FREE PCS2PCS and vision.

If the unlimited package is forr real, I'll dump my unlimited Nextel plan with its crummy reception and coverage in a heartbeat for Sprint and the Treo 650
    They do have those plans with Sprint. I know. I ordered the 3500 plan from Sprint and you get unlimited free Vision with that. It's included.
    I just got a call back from Will (the admin contact on the whois info) and the company sound's legit. I didn't push the personal info question since if you try to setup an acccount on sprint.com they ask the very same info. Really secure server is the only question and the feeling you get about the company.
    Will did say that they didn't have the phone in stock yet and that orders were first come first serve (of course) as they would ship as they recieved product.....standard answers.
    Just trying to help and I am niether for or against this company at this time....also I am still thinking about ordering & if I do I will post so and how it went.
    Enjoy
    I emailed them last night. Someone replied overnight to me. I did receive all of his numbers (cell and office) However, did not want to post them here for public display (not hiding just being courteous to them.

Our site is being updated. I'll call you tomorrow.

Michael "MJ" Jones
    VP of Wireless Sales
    Open Technologies, LLC.

-----Original Message-----
    Posted At: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 10:27 PM
    Posted To: Questions
    Conversation: Sprint Treo 650 Offer
    Subject: Sprint Treo 650 Offer

Hi:

I ran across your website and offer through a Treo forum and wanted more info. I would like either a number to call or a call back from you company as your website has some discrepancies/contradictory items and questionable things(example being a non-secure order form and some out of date Sprint calling features).

Thank you very much.

Matt Wilkins: REALTOR, e-PRO
    Member of PWAR Million Dollar Club
    RE/MAX Absolute
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PWC Realtor
    I emailed them last night. Someone replied overnight to me. I did receive all of his numbers (cell and office) However, did not want to post them here for public display (not hiding just being courteous to them.

Our site is being updated. I'll call you tomorrow.

Michael "MJ" Jones
    VP of Wireless Sales
    Open Technologies, LLC.

-----Original Message-----
    Posted At: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 10:27 PM
    Posted To: Questions
    Conversation: Sprint Treo 650 Offer
    Subject: Sprint Treo 650 Offer

Hi:

I ran across your website and offer through a Treo forum and wanted more info. I would like either a number to call or a call back from you company as your website has some discrepancies/contradictory items and questionable things(example being a non-secure order form and some out of date Sprint calling features).

Thank you very much.

Matt Wilkins: REALTOR, e-PRO
    Member of PWAR Million Dollar Club
    RE/MAX Absolute
    I got the same response.
    I just tried caling the office number I was given. I got an autoattendant but it did say in the greeeting that OTI is a SPrint and IBM business partner connection. Unfortunatley it is not a direct office line for the rep. that responded. It seems to be more of a customer service or call enter line. Sounding a bit more legit but still I'll await a call from this michael guy or call im on his cell phone (which he easily gave out.
    http://www.oti-solutions.com/ shows a CRAPPY website, misspelled Title information. This just SCREAMS of scam. I'm in Tampa, so if anydody gets jilted, feel free to let me know and I'll investigate the company further.
    Looks like you have to use your SSN on the Sprint website, too. I found this message when I pretended to order a phone/plan from the SprintPCS site(see below >>>).

It is encouraging that this guy has a website and multiple phone numbers. I just wish his name wasn't Michael Jones so we could google him a little easier. I hope for everyone's sake that this thing winds up being legit, but I'll probably pay the extra $15 a month and order through another source.

>>>
    Social Security Number
    We ask you to enter your Social Security Number when purchasing online in order to verify your identity, perform an accurate credit check, and protect you from fraud.

What if I don't want to give out my SSN?
    You can purchase Sprint PCS® Service without giving us your Social Security Number. To do so, you can order by coming to a Sprint Store.
    What about those of us wanting to ADD an addl line on an existing acct. Is the SS# information still necessary for this?
    To all Realators: Verify this offer with your professional association. (National Association of Realtors?)

To everyone else: You are not realtors, and not entitled to this offer. If you try to take advantage of it - YOU are committing fraud. IMHO
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast