Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Page 21 (pdf page 33) of the Sprint Treo650 Users Guide says Windows computers require "Windows 2000 or XP".

Does that mean I'm SOL with my old W98 machine? Is there really a new Palm Desktop for Windows that only runs on W2K/XP?

ERic
    I don't know the answer to that, but I do have to say this. I mean, no offense, but if you are still running Win98, maybe you should forget the Treo 650 and use the money to upgrade your OS I mean, not to state the obvious, but a six year old OS is going to just become older and more incompatible with new stuff as time goes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    Page 21 (pdf page 33) of the Sprint Treo650 Users Guide says Windows computers require "Windows 2000 or XP".

Does that mean I'm SOL with my old W98 machine? Is there really a new Palm Desktop for Windows that only runs on W2K/XP?

ERic

If you are running Win98, you have bigger problems than the Treo 650.

When your Desktop OS is pushing 6 years old, it's time to move on (if you want to take advantage of new devices)
    Windows 98 is not very good at handling USB devices. That is why the recommendation is for Win2000 or XP.
    Zane
    Not to mention, I think Windows 98 has already met its EOL (end of life) from microsoft concerning support. This is likely why it isn't being supported by Palm.
    Few pieces of software released these days still support 98...
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Thanks to everyone for all the W98 bashing.

Does anyone have a constructive answer to my question:
    Is there really a new Palm Desktop for Windows that only runs on W2K/XP?

ERic
    Product datasheet for Treo 650 does not list Win98 as being supported.

Todd/Indy
    Eric,

Real world advice. Get the 650, see if it all works under 98. If not, upgrade your OS -- Windows 2000 requires less resources machine wise than XP. What kind of processor/memory combination do you have. There might be reasonable upgrade paths for those as well.

Doug
    The USB driver for 2000 and XP is different from the one for 98. The T3 had both drivers and it did support 98 and since there are similarities in the PIM's you may be able to borrow a driver from someone when you get the 650 if it won't install.

Unfortunately, if P1 states that you must use or have XP or 2000 then you might - might have to tweak the installation. It will take an experiment on someone's part and that appears to be you at the moment since no one else apparently has the same issue.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mausalot
    What kind of processor/memory combination do you have.
    IBM Aptiva box w/ 550MHz Athlon and 256MB (upgraded from factory 96MB (woohoo)).
    Eric,

I would give it whirl. Windows 98 had a lot of USB issues some things worked while others didn't. Becuase it was a crap shoot, you will find that almost all USB products don't include 98 on thier requirments. But as I mentioned some things did work. The only way to know is to install it and see.

Do you now have a T600. If so and it syncs, then I would bet that the T650 will also
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I would give it whirl. [...]
    Do you now have a T600. If so and it syncs, then I would bet that the T650 will also
    Yeah, that's my plan. I've got my pre-order in with P1.

My current T600 has had no problems for going on almost a year now. (Nor has my USB card reader, for that matter.)

FWIW, my primary machine is a UNIX workstation. The home PC really only exists for those times when I need the evil Microsoft empire's help. E.g. Sprint firmware upgrades.

Thanks,
    ERic
    Sorry, but how I cannot resist?

What? You mean P1 is releasing the Treo 650 without support for Windows 3.X? What's up with that?

Dude, I just hope my new Treo works with my TI-99 (okay, who is old enough here to have had one of those hooked up to the living room tv...ahhh, fond memories of loading games on freaking tapes).

Snicker.
    Does anyone know if the Treo 650 is compatible with my Sinclair ZX80?
    Hey what about my TI-99/4A. I just bought a few new 180min cassettes so I have plenty of storage
    180mins?!? Damn, you've got money to burn... pfffft... Show-off! Wait a sec, is 180mins how long it takes to load?
    Will the treo 650 software work on Windows ME?
    Forget about windows, will it work with Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    IBM Aptiva box w/ 550MHz Athlon and 256MB (upgraded from factory 96MB (woohoo)).

you should be able to run 2000 on that. i dont even want to think of xp on that (eeek).

anyhow, i think the issue here is usb and win98 not neccessarily the desktop software.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast