Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    Not sure what your comments have to do with a lack of memory...the subject of this thread...

What company's these days don't have wireless push??? Well it's over a billion dollar company traded on the Nasdaq...and they don't have it...so I guess your assumption isn't bang on either.
    Guess my point was confusing, sorry about that. What I mean to point out is that ANY COMPANY's execs (at least the execs) should have wireless push email. I know that MANY companies don't have it. Wireless email is relatively new and one of the fastest growing sectors in IT.
    Guess my point was confusing, sorry about that. What I mean to point out is that ANY COMPANY's execs (at least the execs) should have wireless push email. I know that MANY companies don't have it. Wireless email is relatively new and one of the fastest growing sectors in IT.
    I agree completely with you.
    one quick problem the 650 has with memory is with the camcorder mode. it records to internal memory first, then saves to sd card as option. this limits the length to whatever extra memory you have. the low internal memory and the lack of true media file integration are my 2 main beefs i have with the 650. apparently, midi ringtones are still hip at the P1 r&d labs. someone needs to explain to them how bad midi sucks.

lightwav did it for ringtones, but it's not integrated. how hard would it have been for P1 to update the ringtone manager? they could have done this during one of their Krispy Kreme power lunches. And the low memory is just out of touch & could've been corrected without delay.

can't forget wifi-less, but they said that it was difficult to add without conflicting with antenna stuff or something. anyway, my complaints aren't business related as much as u guys, but is just as simple to fix. leaves me speechless. i'm still upgrading to 650 though.
    Last edited by peyote; 11/11/2004 at 03:33 PM.
    I happen to think that memory is a special type of device resource. You can argue the 80/20 rule with a lot of technologies, but I think memory should be regarded as an exception.

Here's why:
    • Memory is an enabling technology almost like no other (perhaps with the exception of connectivity). How many of the PC applications that you use today would even be conceived of back in the bad old days of "640K is enough for anyone"?
    • Sure, the palmOne rep is right, cost is a factor, but there certainly is a popular perception that memory is cheap, and I have yet to hear it debunked.
    • Unlike for PPC, the PalmOS memory / filesystem architecture is unbelievably convoluted. Only a relatively few types of files can go in internal RAM. Meanwhile, not all programs or data can be put on external SD. Yuch. What a mess. Adding an external card just isn't a solution to low memory. There are just too many things that must go into RAM. Not only that, if you use the external card for a lot of your commonly used programs, you have a terrific incentive never to remove that one particular card. Your device is almost crippled without it. There goes the convenience of having multiple cards and switching amongst them depending on the application you're using.
    • Even if they ever publish device drivers for the WiFi SDIO card, using it on the Treo 650 will be problematic. Unlike the T5, there is no obvious solution to where to put a file you want to download. Of course, if it is a .prc or .pdb file, then there's no problem. But where are you gonna put a .pdf file? or a .zip file? The WiFi card has no memory and these types of files wont go into standard Palm RAM.

Palm: Please put gobs of memory on your future devices, then sit back and watch the astounding proliferation of new applications that you've enabled. I predict that you and we will be amazed, and pleased.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    I happen to think that memory is a special type of device resource. You can argue the 80/20 rule with a lot of technologies, but I think memory should be regarded as an exception.

Here's why:
    • Memory is an enabling technology almost like no other (perhaps with the exception of connectivity). How many of the PC applications that you use today would even be conceived of back in the bad old days of "640K is enough for anyone"?
    • Sure, the palmOne rep is right, cost is a factor, but there certainly is a popular perception that memory is cheap, and I have yet to hear it debunked.
    • Unlike for PPC, the PalmOS memory / filesystem architecture is unbelievably convoluted. Only a relatively few types of files can go in internal RAM. Meanwhile, not all programs or data can be put on external SD. Yuch. What a mess. Adding an external card just isn't a solution to low memory. There are just too many things that must go into RAM. Not only that, if you use the external card for a lot of your commonly used programs, you have a terrific incentive never to remove that one particular card. Your device is almost crippled without it. There goes the convenience of having multiple cards and switching amongst them depending on the application you're using.
    • Even if they ever publish device drivers for the WiFi SDIO card, using it on the Treo 650 will be problematic. Unlike the T5, there is no obvious solution to where to put a file you want to download. Of course, if it is a .prc or .pdb file, then there's no problem. But where are you gonna put a .pdf file? or a .zip file? The WiFi card has no memory and these types of files wont go into standard Palm RAM.

Palm: Please put gobs of memory on your future devices, then sit back and watch the astounding proliferation of new applications that you've enabled. I predict that you and we will be amazed, and pleased.

This quote says it all: "Adding an external card just isn't a solution to low memory."

NUFF SAID.
    You realize people that surf on this board (who gather every day) to talk at nuasiam about the Treo are not representative of the general market right?

They could have done extensive studies with user groups. I bet the average person "might" add 1 or two programs and that's all they do the whole time they own the phone.

It's only power users...like the people who gather here who load their phones with features and functionality.

They may very well have info that supports a decision for 32 MB is fine for the bulk of users. You have to realize power users are a VERY small minority.

too true.... i convinced my mom and my uncle to buy treos.... they both only have 3-4 programs on there each, and one of those is bejeweled lol. My mom (a lawyer) wanted something to sync with outlook for contacts and her email so she could stop carrying the cell phone and PPC at the same time.
    $6 cost per Treo to have done 64MB RAM.
    This thread speaks to my sentiments exactly. I went to the roadshow and asked one of the Palm SE's about memory and he gave me no good reason. He mentioned the same issue, that you can add an external memory card.

My problem is that I do not want to get into managing multiple SD cards, especially if they get the WiFi card working. I have an SD card I use today for MP3's but I don't HAVE to have in my Palm to use the apps I run everyday.

32Mb. is not enough to hold the main apps I use everyday and that is the problem. This would make me have to manage multiple SD cards in the device.
    This "lack of memory" problem is a real deal for corporate america (I believe PALM1's primary focus).

Just recently, I tried to install GoodLink 3.x (newest revision) on my Treo600. My Treo600 has nothing on it but GoodLink, BackupBuddy, and a few pictures I have taken on my phone. When I tried to install GoodLink it crashed because I didn't have enough memory. Sigh... So I had todo a hard-reset just to install GoodLink.

Anyway, my point here is that there is just too little room on the Treo600 and now the Treo650. Especially when Palm1 is chapioning GoodLink as one of their main Enterprise Wireless Email 3rd party providers...

PS. There is no-way that you would want to put GoodLink on your SD card. As far as I am concerned GoodLink is the primary software program on a Treo600/650 (if you are using goodlink).
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Hey farzon, are you still using your Treo600?
    You realize people that surf on this board (who gather every day) to talk at nuasiam about the Treo are not representative of the general market right?

They could have done extensive studies with user groups. I bet the average person "might" add 1 or two programs and that's all they do the whole time they own the phone.

It's only power users...like the people who gather here who load their phones with features and functionality.

They may very well have info that supports a decision for 32 MB is fine for the bulk of users. You have to realize power users are a VERY small minority.
    Absolutley correct. We are NOT the average consumer for these products and 32MB is plenty for 85% of the users out there I'd bet
    i am not an average user, however i have about 3mb free on my treo most of the time... i would have liked the 64mb internally, but with the nvfs, that means they had to get 64mb sdram and 64mb nand flash at the same time- however it came to be a $6 per device fix... i do like the fact that according to them programs will run off the car much better now... also the theoretical limit for the treo 650 sd is 1GB, they are in the process of testing 2gb right now...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Hey farzon, are you still using your Treo600?
    No. I bought a PDA2K. I love it. 128MB memory is nice, and multitasking.
    When questioned about 650 memory at the Boston Roadshow, Peter Skillman said : "I personally would like to have 64 megs of ram on my 650". Note the word "personally" and "my". I agree it's a marketing decision. PalmOne will spoon feed and ween us onto the next upgrade, which will have a little more ram (but off course never enough for TC types)
    You know, I have skimmed through most of the threads complaining about the Treo 650's lack of more memory and this makes me REALLY want to meet the ***** who said, "Nah, let's leave it at 32MB. Who really needs more?"

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    I don't understand why P1 is saying that apps will run better off the card. This sort of came out of the blue from the road shows, I think. What exactly will make this happen? I always thought issues with running off the card were the fault of the applications themselves.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12