1.    #1  
    Hi all, I've got my 650 pre-ordered, can't wait for delivery. In the meantime, trying to remember the best way to move data from one Palm to the next. This will be my 4th Palm (III -> IIIc -> Zire 71 -> Treo 650), and I seem to recall you can sync your new Palm to your old Palm desktop. I only want to move address, datebook, memo and todo - all the rest is best to do manually. Do you still have to create/match all of the categories on the T650 to get it to sync right? Maybe it's better to move the .DAT files from each folder to the new Palm desktop folder. Any thoughts on this? I want to be as conservative as possible.
    From memory, this is what I do: Read the instructions when they come, it is all outlined there.
  3.    #3  
    the instructions say nothing about having to re-create category names, but you do, so somehow I don't buy that ... as someone who has been using PDAs since 1994 and the Newton 100, I know the best way to do things isn't always in the manual.
    I always export (via palm desktop) the things I want to retain, then do a clean wipe-out and reinstall of all palm-related software and then re-import.

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    From memory, this is what I do: Read the instructions when they come, it is all outlined there.
    Hey...these boards are designed so that we can help each other! A comment like that is not called for. If you don't have something better to offer, do us all a favor and keep it to yourself.

K
    dirkpitt73,
    If all you want to do is restore the default Palm apps (contacts, datebook, todo, memo) the process is quite simple. When your ready to do the deed, sync your Zire first, then go into the Palm (or Handspring) folder on your PC and rename the backup folder for your profile to something like "backup_old". Once done, sync your 650 and when prompted select your hotsync name. This process will restore only those default apps, this process will also create a new empty backup folder. When your ready, go back into the backup_old folder and re-install those 3rd party apps you need.

CGordonn
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn
    dirkpitt73,
    If all you want to do is restore the default Palm apps (contacts, datebook, todo, memo) the process is quite simple. When your ready to do the deed, sync your Zire first, then go into the Palm (or Handspring) folder on your PC and rename the backup folder for your profile to something like "backup_old". Once done, sync your 650 and when prompted select your hotsync name. This process will restore only those default apps, this process will also create a new empty backup folder. When your ready, go back into the backup_old folder and re-install those 3rd party apps you need.

CGordonn
    Thanks, that was very helpful. We are not all IT guys around here and, I for one, always struggle when it comes to switching smartphones.

K
    My pleasure. Not so much of an IT guy here, just a loooong time Palm user.

CGordonn
  9.    #9  
    thanks all, great advice - hopefully we'll all be able to use it sooner rather than later! ;-)
    i'm not that experienced of a palm user, just 2+ years with my treo300. is there some compelling reason why i wouldn't just try a hotsync of everything? what's the worst that could happen? if some applications don't work right, i can delete them, and worst case is i can hard reset and then try a different approach as outlined above.

does that make any sense?
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Well, it's kinda like moving. You could just throw EVERYTHING in boxes without regard to throwing away useless stuff that you won't use in the new place. Or you could throw stuff out as you pack so that your new place is neat, orderly and junk free. Playing around with 3rd party apps results in unwanted, unneeded files wasting valuable memory. No need to take that old junk to your new apt. in upper Manhatten (that's the chicks analogy) )

Besides that, frequently there are compatibility problems from 3rd party apps that didn't effect your old device but might reek havoc on the new device.

Best thing to do is sync over Palm applications and reload your 3rd party apps carefully and individually.

K
    Leave it to a lady to draw such a PERFECT analogy!

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed
    ...Best thing to do is sync over Palm applications and reload your 3rd party apps carefully and individually...
    I 2nd this. I always do my first install on a device by syncing only the needed apps, then adding back only what I need / want. Trust me, it will save you potential headaches.

CGordonn
    I use Cleanup/Uninstall to make sure I remove vestiges of old files, but it doesn't get everything. I'll be using CGordonn's recommendation above when I move to the 650. Thanks.

Regards,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com