1.    #1  
    Some of this has been posted in several other threads, but after getting home and thinking about things here are my impressions of the Chicago (morning) roadshow.

*NOTHING you have seen on any web site gives a truly accurate indication of how good the 650 screen is. It is so much sharper, clearer and brighter, you have to hold it in your hands to appreciate it. The small fonts are amazing. So tiny but very legible. If you hold a 650, you will want a 650.

*The units seemed very solid and well-built

*600 and 650 side by side is like night and day. If you can get the 650 for around under $500 or so with contracts, they are going to have to reduce the 600 to $200 to sell them, IMO.

*The new blazer is a huge improvement over the existing browser. Loads much faster and easier to navigate. One new feature, the page loads in sections. First the links, then the text, then the graphics. You can scroll the whole page and read the text and access the links even if the graphics are still loading.

*They have really done a great job with the phone/contacts/SMS stuff. It is really a very easy to use but very powerful phone/PDA. I have played with Microsoft phones in the past (not the new 6601 though) and the 650 is much easier to use as a phone and for 90% of what you use a pda for.

*Funniest moment when someone asked about the being unable to hang up on one person on Sprint when call waited. Joe said. "that really stinks, doesnt it" Is a network issue, nothing P1 can do.

*One of the guys was very honest in the back of the room. Said he thinks the keyboard is TOO bright now, that its hard to use in a car at night and too noticible in other places where you want to be descrete. Takes away some of the rationale behind SMS -- being able to communicate without being obvious. He said it was an overreaction to the 600 complaints. There is a software way to turn off the keyboard but did not think it could be dimmed.

*One think I picked up on is the reverse coloring for the numbers on the keypad. It seemed liked they were suprised that people wanted this, suprised that some folks prefer the keyboard for phone numbers as opposed to the touch screen, but that was the comments they got back from the test units, so they added the reverse color.

*They made it pretty clear that, if you want a 650 ASAP, the roadshow coupon is NOT the way to go.

*The wi-fi issue was interesting. THEY were the ones that brought it up saying that it was the first question in all of their other shows. Almost like a running joke for them. They bragged about being the first to have wi-fi in a PDA and said they certainly know how to impliment it in something like the 650 BUT that would mean a third radio and antenna (along with phone and BT) which causes complications and would increase weight, complexitiy and cost and would be a huge power drain. They seemed most concerned about the power issue and mentioned that one thing that is being looked at is a wi-fi device that plugs into the bottom of the unit that would have a power supply. In all, I did not get the impression that wi-fi was a burning issue for them. I truly don't think that they think that wi-fi is a critical issue. They talked about how fast the EDGE would be and how the CDMA network is getting faster.

*In contrast, I think they know they messed up with the memory. They seemed pretty defensive on this one, both during the presentation and especially afterwords. One vendor told me afterwords that the excuse that nobody was using all of the memory so they did not put more in to keep unit less expensive is BS. OF COURSE the current 600 users don't use all the memory, they CAN'T and still run many apps, take pictures or download things, they have to keep some free. Plus, memory is cheap and no sign it will get expensive ever again. Another vendor started mumbling when an app he was there to push would not run on his 650 due to insufficient memory. The biggest mistake here is that the unit is SO capable now, it can do SO MANY incredible things, that people will be developing a lot of high demand apps, not all of which you can or would want to use from an SD card. I'm guessing the next TREO will have a lot more memory.

*By contrast again, they really seem to WANT to have RIM available for the 650. I didn't get a definite answer ("soon") but they most certainly grasped that the blackberry is their big competitor. They don't seem worried about the PPCs at all, but the blackberry has them working overtime.

*I enjoyed the roadshow and it worked out well for me since I was in Chicago anyway on business, but, frankly, I knew as much about the 650 and its capabilities by reading TC as did several of the Palm folks A couple of times they said "I don't know" to things that I knew from browsing the forum and reading the reviews. I even noticed a few times when they said something wrong to someone. Now, SEEING the thing in action and playing with it was worth it for me as opposed to just reading about it, but I was not overwhelmed with new info. I will probably be buying a bunch of these for my business after the first of the year and I am interested in a couple of the vendors products that were there so that was very useful. But if you are just a single consumer user, then I would not go WAY out of my way to attend a show even to get the coupon

*This whole show was about the 650. I wonder what the shows were like that they did before the 650 was announced.

*All of the P1 guys were using GSM 650s that were working on the ATT wireless network. They couldnt talk about it but it was right there on their screens. One of the vendors had a Cigular branded 650, but there was no SIM card and he was using it just to show an app. There were a couple of Sprint phones around as well.

*All of the P1 people and vendors I talked to read TC regularly.

*Oh yes, stopped into a Best Buy in Chigago, there was a hole in the display where the 600 should have been. The guy said that they were told to pull them out because the 650 would be there soon and that spot was for the 650. He did not think they were going to be selling the 600 anymore.
    Last edited by midmofan; 11/10/2004 at 11:09 AM.
    *One think I picked up on is the reverse coloring for the numbers on the keypad. It seemed liked they were suprised that people wanted this, suprised that some folks prefer the keyboard for phone numbers as opposed to the touch screen, but that was the comments they got back from the test units, so they added the reverse color.
    who uses the touch screen? i used to back in the 270 days, but like the feedback of the keys.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    I do use the touchscreen often for dialing, but there are times when the keypad is the better method. At least they listend to folks on this one.
    Interesting review, thanks, I played with 650 for about 1/2 hour at Long Beach, they were not all ATT, some were T-mobile, all were GSM. The person, director of product development, I talked to questioned me extensively regarding the memory too, I also felt they were taken aback by the uproar. I am surprised at the keyboard thing though. I never felt the current keyboard was too dark, I can always read it.
    What a great write-up, midmofan! That wets my appetite for the 650 even more... if that's even possible.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    **They made it pretty clear that, if you want a 650 ASAP, the roadshow coupon is NOT the way to go.**

What kind of indication did they give as to delivery dates through the coupon program?
  7.    #7  
    They just said that if your wanted to get the phone as soon as possible, the coupon would not be the way to go as you would be in a que and get them as they were available and processed. No specific dates on anything said at Chicago, just kept saying it was up to Sprint. Also said, in response tothe "when" question, that viennachannels was not a store and you could not expect store-level service.
    No problem with that--to save $250, I'll "suffer along" with another device, even if the 650's don't show up until February. Main question is whether to sell my 600 unbranded GSM or hang on as values drop.

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    They just said that if your wanted to get the phone as soon as possible, the coupon would not be the way to go as you would be in a que and get them as they were available and processed. No specific dates on anything said at Chicago, just kept saying it was up to Sprint. Also said, in response tothe "when" question, that viennachannels was not a store and you could not expect store-level service.
    Yeah I tuned into that part, too.

But I'm with Todd, waiting a few extra weeks isn't an issue. I hadn't even planned to get this thing the moment it came out, but when given the opportunity to buy it for $349, I couldn't pass it up.

Besides the BT800 won't be around 'til Jan. and that is the headset I plan to purchase.

K
    I heard that comment about timing as well, however a different P1 guy in the lobby said that Viennachannels would have them "almost immediately" for Sprint and not to worry.
  11.    #11  
    thats great news rob. Great meeting you at the show. Now I just need to get a confrimation on my order!
    But I want my Treo NOW, not in 2 weeks...
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    No problem with that--to save $250, I'll "suffer along" with another device, even if the 650's don't show up until February. Main question is whether to sell my 600 unbranded GSM or hang on as values drop.

Todd/Indy
    Saving $250 and not having to haggle with sprint or dealing with mail in rebates is well worth any wait.
    Glad I could offer some levity - I asked the one about hanging up - was pretty sure it was Sprint's issue but thought hey can't hurt to ask...

I too do not mind waiting a bit for the deal so ordered when I got home
    I Ordered Mine Last Night after attending the Morning session and recieved a Confirmation in about an Hour I'm # 592 for GSM 650 Unlocked. I Just sold My 600 2 weeks ago on Ebay for $380 .....
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    *Funniest moment when someone asked about the being unable to hang up on one person on Sprint when call waited. Joe said. "that really stinks, doesnt it" Is a network issue, nothing P1 can do.
    I think Joe must be talking boll*cks. This problem also exists on GMS networks.

I can't believe that other phone manufacturers have the same problem. It's probably just a poor implementation by PalmOne. Someone should press them a bit further on this issue at the next roadshow so they at least realise that it's their problem not the networks.