1.    #1  
    Hey All-

Before anyone jumps down my throat and says, "Use the Search feature", please know that I was on this forum for months before I even bought the 600 doing research.

With that being said, I'm now ready to get an app to handle my rings. I have looked at Lightwav, CallFilter, and many others. I was hoping that I could just tell you exactly what I want to do and everyone could give me their best recommendation and then I could try out a few trial versions. I also see that some are more stable than others. Okay, here goes:

1. All I really want to do is be able to play MP3 or MID ringtones from my memory card based on the person calling. So, if person A calls it plays song A and if person B calls it plays song B. When someone else calls it plays a default MP3 or MID.

2. I definitely want to be able to associate a picture with certain callers, most likely stored on the memory card.

3. I don't really have any need to block certain callers or callers from certain area codes, or unknown callers or anything like that. I don't need anything that will turn the ringer on at 6am and off at 10pm, nothing like that. I think I just want it for the fun of MP3 rings and pictures.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
    -Adam
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    I would put a strong backing for call filter. Even though you say you do not have the need for the function of blocking certain calls, it is a handy feature when you need it.
    But the other features this program provides are exactly what you say you need. ---
    Assigned midi or mp3/wav ringtones to individuals or groups, and assigned picture to individuals or groups.
    But it also provides----
    A very handy call log or call note feature that allows you to keep a date book journal of all incoming calls and quickly make a todo note or alarm for a future meeting.

A sms rule handler that will allow you to delete sms's as they come in, start an application when an sms is received from an assigned sms, auto reply, or prevent the sms popup screen.

And probobly the feature I use the most is the time feature which allows me to set up what I want to do with a call from certain people depending on what part of the day it is. For instance. I am in my car for about 2 hours a day for work during the same time mon-fri, so I've have set my phone through call filter to auto answer certain calls during those times.
    During meetings or other times when it would be impractical to have my phone ring I set up my phone to send certain categories of calls to voicemail right away and other 911 type calls (such as from my wife or kids school) to go ahead and ring normally.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I would at least suggest a trial download of callfilter to see if you like it.
    I'd go with Lightwav. Call Filter is great if you want to block calls but it doesn't do any of the other things you want any better than Lightwav and the interface on Lightwav is very appealing.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    I'd go with Lightwav. Call Filter is great if you want to block calls but it doesn't do any of the other things you want any better than Lightwav and the interface on Lightwav is very appealing.
    Thanks for the info so far. MVT, I've seen posts that Lightwav has caused regular crashes for alot of people, have you had this problem? I of course will demo before I buy but sometimes issues like crashing start happening later down the road.

Any other apps out there I might not know about?

Thanks.
    -Adam
    Phone Technician is another one that can give you MIDI/MP3 ringers.

Lightwav crashes my Treo about once every 4 weeks or so. I get more crashes than that using the built in software.