Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    The real problem is, PalmOne and PalmSource are looking backwards, not forwards, when they spec their products. Bluetooth 1.1, .3 Megapixel camera, 23 MB RAM are all features that can best be described as "proven technology". None of that "bleeding edge" stuff for PalmOne!
    The Treo 650 is pretty much a remake of the Treo 600. In car manufacturer terms, the product has been "freshened". Who knows? Maybe a more reliable 600 with a better screen is what the market is asking for?
    Few points:

- P1 used BT 1.1 b/c that's the ver everyone uses. They also didn't use it b/c that is the ver lisenced by PalmSource for Garnet. However the P1 execs at the Treo roadshow said they could have lisenced ver 1.2 directly if they saw a pertinant and glaring need for it, but the market considerations were not justifiable.

- the 0.3 MP cam on the 650 may be same MP wise, but trust me it is vastly superior overall expecially in low light. It will definitely be more usable than on the Treo 600

- the 23 MB is definitely not 'old tech' actually. Just read this following article on the new way P1 designed the NVFS on the Ace and T5:

http://www.red-mercury.com/nvfs.html

The 23 MB is disappointing, but P1 did alot of engineering and tinkering to make use of NVFS. Hopefully, this will lead to more of a T5 like mem arangement in future Treos...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    'old tech' is 23 MB. I agree that the nonvolatile memory is pretty sweet, and a useful improvement over the Treo 600. But why are you defending those bull**** artists? They did a REMAKE of the Treo 600. Where's the imagination that asks what new technology is on the horizon, and how can we incorporate it into our next phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    A few points here:

1. Palm has no problem putting out something that doesn't work optimally. I'm referring to the camera on the Treo 600 which most of the time was useless. In direct daylight with the right hacks you could get something useful, but it's not like you can always expect to take a picture and get it.
    Wait, so what you're saying is, because Handspring/PalmOne has put out mediocre solutions in the past, it's perfectly acceptable to encourage them to continue releasing solutions that are crud? Sorry, I don't agree with you there. I'm not paying $599 to beta-test a half baked, bleeding edge development item. I want something that's going to be stable, and something that won't interfere with all the other RF componentns when I turn it on, or else I don't want it at all.

I prefer to think that HandSpring made dumb decisions on the Treo 600 release, and while PalmOne had to live with tht mistake, the merged development team decided that would not be acceptable on the 650.

2. With the GPS you are presumably using that for an extended period of time. For wifi, it would be like a minute here and a minute there.
    [/QUOTE]

I've never once been in a situation where I've used wifi for brief periods. If I'm tapping into a broadband connection, it's because I'm going to be using it for a good long while to do some bandwidth-intensive work. If it's something that's going to be short and sweet, then the data connection I get with Sprint will more than suffice. And considering I'm paying for the data plan whether I use it a little or a lot, I'm *going* to use it every chance I get, thus making WiFi redudant to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    I'm not paying $599 to beta-test a half baked, bleeding edge development item. I want something that's going to be stable, and something that won't interfere with all the other RF componentns when I turn it on, or else I don't want it at all.
    PalmOne explicitly says in, for example, their latest Quarterly Report:

== "...Products and services as sophisticated as ours are likely
    == to contain undetected errors or defects, especially when first
    == introduced or when new models or versions are released..."

"Early" adopters - however one defines "early" (use the TREO 600 experience to define the time period "early" covers!) - thus must accept whatever they get no matter how much it costs.

When PalmOne explicitly says something (an infrequent occurence!), maybe one should..you know...listen?
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 11/11/2004 at 06:16 AM. Reason: added a '-'
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland

I think a sled would be a huge mistake. Suddenly the Treo would blow up in size to a brick and then you are at square one. A wifi SD card and drivers would be an ideal compromise.
    Might as well carry a phone and a handheld with wifi and bluetooth and forget about convergence devices. On the other hand HP's 6315 (Yes I'm aware of its problems.) is reported to have excellent battery life with bluetooth, GSM/GPRS, and WiFi.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Quote Originally Posted by eugarps
    Might as well carry a phone and a handheld with wifi and bluetooth and forget about convergence devices. On the other hand HP's 6315 (Yes I'm aware of its problems.) is reported to have excellent battery life with bluetooth, GSM/GPRS, and WiFi.
    Or better yet, carry a phone WITH bluetooth and a handheld with bluetooth and wireless and allow the two to talk to each other - when the handheld "goes wireless", the phone bluetooth-talks to the handheld to the wireless side.

Whatta thought!

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...61&postcount=1

Giggle.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quoting SeldomVisitor "Or better yet, carry a phone WITH bluetooth and a handheld with bluetooth and wireless and allow the two to talk to each other - when the handheld "goes wireless", the phone bluetooth-talks to the handheld to the wireless side."

But then I'd feel like I was eavesdropping on my little electronic friends...
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    "Early" adopters - however one defines "early" (use the TREO 600 experience to define the time period "early" covers!) - thus must accept whatever they get no matter how much it costs.

When PalmOne explicitly says something (an infrequent occurence!), maybe one should..you know...listen?
    Thanks for bringing that up. See, not being a shareholder, I don't read the quarterly reports, and neither would the average consumer.

If that's the stance, then it looks like I'm cancelling my order. I'll spend my $599 on something that works, instead.
    All you have to do is turn the WiFi off and it will not drain the battery. I have a PDA2K, and the Wifi kills the battery, but I only turn it on when I need to use it. It is not a problem.
    Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    All you have to do is turn the WiFi off and it will not drain the battery. I have a PDA2K, and the Wifi kills the battery, but I only turn it on when I need to use it. It is not a problem.
    Carl - how are you liking the PDA2K? I've put my order in for the Treo 650 from PalmOne (with the free Jabra headset), but there's always time to cancel. The pcitures and descriptions of the PDA2K look cool, but size still seems to be a setback relative to the Treo 6XX form factor.

Dale
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    PalmOne explicitly says in, for example, their latest Quarterly Report:

== "...Products and services as sophisticated as ours are likely
    == to contain undetected errors or defects, especially when first
    == introduced or when new models or versions are released..."

Two thoughts:
    First, if you read the filings of any company, those risk factor sections can run dozens of pages long. Seriously, they are designed to take into account any and all potential risks going forward.

Second, the Treo 650 has had the "longest beta period" of any PLMO product.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Oh! I thought the TREO 600 did!

Er....or is that "is having"?...

Giggle.
    Two thoughts:
    First, if you read the filings of any company, those risk factor sections can run dozens of pages long. Seriously, they are designed to take into account any and all potential risks going forward.

Well yeah, Treo 600 = beta... right?
    "It is universally acknowledged that the Treo 600 had some problems that caused it to fail and need replacement. A lot. palmOne hopes to have fixed these problems in the Treo 650. They have switched from using Seletron to manufacture the Treo 600, to using HTC to manufacture the Treo 650. HTC builds products for most major computer companies, including HP's portable line. The Treo 650 went through palmOne's longest beta test ever, in which they hope caught most of the bugs."

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/479-1.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    Not another WiFi thread. Please stop the madness.
    What's WiFi?

No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
    Quote Originally Posted by oclin627
    Palmone ppl at roadshow pretty much said Tmobile was begging for Wifi on treo 650.
    Of course they were, because they [over]charge $30/month for their wireless hotspots.

Revenue, revenue, revenue.

-jd
    "It is universally acknowledged that the Treo 600 had some problems that caused it to fail and need replacement. A lot. palmOne hopes to have fixed these problems in the Treo 650. They have switched from using Seletron to manufacture the Treo 600, to using HTC to manufacture the Treo 650. HTC builds products for most major computer companies, including HP's portable line. The Treo 650 went through palmOne's longest beta test ever, in which they hope caught most of the bugs."

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/479-1.htm
    == "...Plus, in my tests, the preproduction Treo 650 I had crashed several times,
    == and so did the Palm synchronization software, which has always been solid
    == as a rock. PalmOne will have to solve these problems by launch..."

-- http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20041028.html

Giggle.
    Why giggle?
    Why not?

=======

[I just checked "Threaded mode"; had the series of posts on the"betaness" of the TREO line been threaded as I thought (but were not) then the "Giggle" fit right in]
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 11/11/2004 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added comment
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Wi-fi would not bog down Sprints service. Sprint does not have a wi-fi service. Wi-fi would truly serve to free up some of Sprints service (thereby probably losing money for Sprint).
    Ding ding ding... we have a winna!

all it would take is Skype or some other VOIP developer to come out with a Palm app that worked over wi-fi, and I wouldn't be using Sprint minutes to make my calls.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast