Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I dont know much about bluetooth, but I want my computer/network to have bluetooth so I can communicate with it. Whats the best bluetooth adaptor for it (usb or whatever) ? Should I get the 1.1 version, or 1.2 if they even make it? Thanks
    Get the 1.2 ver. It was designed to minimize interference from WiFi. USB is standard but you can get a PCI bluetooth card also.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    What does everyone think of the TrendNet TBW-102UB? (Not to be confused with it's predecessor the 101UB which had a 33ft range compared to the 320ft range of the 102UB.)

I have looked on all the usual sites I purchase from and haven't been able to find a bluetooth v1.2 adapter. At least not USB. I haven't searched for PCI adapters very hard, but a brief search didn't look very promising.

Anyway, I basicly like the "look" of the TrendNet adapter. The description is a little vague on the profiles it supports. But if you look at the User's Guide in sections 3.5 and 3.6 it appears to support:
    • HID (Human Interface Device)
    • Audio Gateway
    • Bluetooth Serial Port
    • DUN (Dial-up Networking)
    • Fax
    • Headset
    • File Transfer
    • Network Access
    • PIM Synchronization
    • PIM Item Transfer
    • Printer

I don't know much about bluetooth having never used a bluetooth device, but I think that's about everything I've heard of bluetooth being used for.

--TechDude
    Last edited by TechDude; 11/09/2004 at 07:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Get the 1.2 ver. It was designed to minimize interference from WiFi. USB is standard but you can get a PCI bluetooth card also.
    To the best of my knowledge, a 1.2 device on your PC won't matter because the Treo is 1.1. BT 1.2 USB dongles are not exactly plentiful either as the specification was just finalized. Also, I am not aware of any PCI bluetooth cards. The only viable option I know is to buy a PCMCIA bt card and plug it into a PCI card designed to accept PCMCIA cards.

My recommendation would be to purchase a class 1 USB adapter to maximize range. The class 3 dongles you see on ebay will barely work 10 feet line of sight. I am currently using the big Belkin class 1. Works great, but it is almost the size of a cable modem. Of course, range would not be a significant factor IF wifi drivers were to come into play
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    What does everyone think of the TrendNet TBW-102UB? (Not to be confused with it's predecessor the 101UB which had a 33ft range compared to the 320ft range of the 102UB.)

I have looked on all the usual sites I purchase from and haven't been able to find a bluetooth v1.2 adapter. At least not USB. I haven't searched for PCI adapters very hard, but a brief search didn't look very promising.

Anyway, I basicly like the "look" of the TrendNet adapter. The description is a little vague on the profiles it supports. But if you look at the User's Guide in sections 3.5 and 3.6 it appears to support:
    • HID (Human Interface Device)
    • Audio Gateway
    • Bluetooth Serial Port
    • DUN (Dial-up Networking)
    • Fax
    • Headset
    • File Transfer
    • Network Access
    • PIM Synchronization
    • PIM Item Transfer
    • Printer

I don't know much about bluetooth having never used a bluetooth device, but I think that's about everything I've heard of bluetooth being used for.

--TechDude
    If you can wait, I would say hold off purchasing an adapter for your PC until you see opinions on various ones after the release of the 650. The 100m/330ft range is a wee-bit inflated (OK, it's really inflated). Also, most bluetooth dongles work with Widcomm stacks allowing for all the profiles you listed above. Be aware that if you buy a bluetooth access point (not an adapter like the link above), it probably will NOT have all those profiles.

OR, you could just buy a mac
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMan
    ... Also, most bluetooth dongles work with Widcomm stacks allowing for all the profiles you listed above. Be aware that if you buy a bluetooth access point (not an adapter like the link above), it probably will NOT have all those profiles.

OR, you could just buy a mac
    Ummmm... Excuse my ignorance on this subject, but what's a Widcomm stack? And what makes it matter? Is there a better method to support the profiles?

--TechDude
  7. OJM
    Belkin Product Description
    The Bluetooth USB Adapter adds Bluetooth technology to your existing USB PC or notebook to let it work with all devices enabled with Bluetooth v1.1 technology. Wirelessly print, synchronize your PDA information, and create dial-up connections through a mobile phone. From up to 100 meters away you can effortlessly transfer data to other Bluetooth devices such as desktop or notebook computers, PDAs, scanners, printers, and even mobile phones-wirelessly. Connect with up to seven other Bluetooth devices at a time.

Manufacturer: BELKIN COMPONENTS
    Mfg Part#: F8T001
    OJMBrooklyn

SPHi300>T300>T600>T650>PPC6700>700WX
    http://store.treocentral.com/content.../9-51--103.htm

The new store is still under construction, but the Accessories tab and checkout works.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    Ummmm... Excuse my ignorance on this subject, but what's a Widcomm stack? And what makes it matter? Is there a better method to support the profiles?

--TechDude
    Bluetooth stacks are basically the underlying software that drives the hardware. Widcomm is right now makes the only stack worth using.

Windows sp2 force installs microsofts bluetooth stack which is very poorly done. Theres some information floating around the web on how to replace the microsoft stack with the widcomm one. I had to because the microsoft stack didn't support a profile I use.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    http://store.treocentral.com/content.../9-51--103.htm

The new store is still under construction, but the Accessories tab and checkout works.
    Here is an excellect bluetooth usb adapter adapter, great range, great company, not a generic clone.

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=581&scid=36
    Targus makes a very good BT adapter as well. Best of the lot.
    Not even close...
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Here is an excellect bluetooth usb adapter adapter, great range, great company, not a generic clone.

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=581&scid=36
    If all you are concerned with is wireless sync, and range, the Linksys is a good choice. There was a recent write up recently about some people that got more than a miles worth of range out of this by soldering a new antenna onto it.

I dont personally like the Linksys, because it doesn't support all of the profiles that I was interested in. I wanted the Audio profiles so I could use my laptop as a speakerphone, and use a Bluetooth headset with my laptop. Linksys only supports data profiles.

In general, though, you will find an over abundance of "clones" out there. This is because there are only two companies that are making worthwhile chipsets, and one company that is making a worthwhile stack. This is why most of the Bluetooth USB dongles all look and work alike. Very little to differentiate themselves, other than the surrounding plastic.

In short, asking which Bluetooth adapter is best is kind of like asking which SD Ram card is best. There is very little difference between the best and the worst. If all you need is data, nearly anyone will do. Watch what profiles are supported if you are interested in more.
    Doesn't Bluetooth require two way communication? How can you get all of the ranges specified by the bluetooth adaptor if the Treo itself has limited range. It seems to me that a dongle with a 300 foot range will talk to a treo with a 15 foot range and a range of 15 feet. What am I missing?
    There are four elements in play whene determining the distance:
    1) the transmission power of the treo
    2) the recieve sensitivity of the treo
    3) the transmission power of the device
    4) the recieve sensitivity of the device

the 15ft is an estimation based on the expected values of 3 and 4. the distance can be considerably more if the device has a high power transmitter and an exceptionally low reception sensitivity.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

every unit out there has its share of problems or flaws

i have the 3com one...but have also used the belkin and d-link...those two are very good...ive been wanting to buy the TDK one from expansys that has 250m of range..but like the generic ones on ebay, it uses those widecomm drivers....which although are great from what i hear, they are also quite random in being able to work.

But all in all i recommend the d-link and belkin
    On other thing to look at is what "class" Bluetooth device it is. Class 2 Bluetooth devices (most common for dongles, cell phones and headsets) has a range of 10 meters. Class 1 devices (most common for access points and some dongles) have a range of 100 meters, similar to WiFi.

The idea is that two Class 2 devices can only be 10 meters apart, but a Class 2 talking to a Class 1, or a Class 1 talking to a Class 1 can be up to 100 meters apart. Theoretically.

There aren't too many Class 1 dongles out there, but I understand Belkin has both a Class 2 and Class 1 USB dongles, both similarly priced to each other. I have heard good things about both, and they both have a comprehensive Bluetooth profile support.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I guess my question has actually caused me more confusion...

Basically, the range thing is not as important to me as the profiles. I am interested in getting the absolute maximum use out of Bluetooth profiles with both the Treo and whatever else I may find useful in the future. So, that being said, of the units you guys are recommending, which one provides the most functionality?

Also, is it worth buyinig a cheaper 1.1 unit now and waiting for support for a future revision later?
    Last edited by gjlowe; 11/10/2004 at 10:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I forgot one other question...

If a device is BT 1.1, can it be upgraded to 1.2 with software or firmware, or is it a hardware thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe
    I forgot one other question...

If a device is BT 1.1, can it be upgraded to 1.2 with software or firmware, or is it a hardware thing?
    Depends on the device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast