Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Class 1 BT 1.2

I have not tried it but am thinking about it. I have their BT printer adapter and it works pretty good.

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GBU311

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...1&loc=101&sp=1

http://enews.buy.com/cgi-bin5/DM/y/e...360E810BimO0Gc
    Hey Druce,

Are you sure the Linksys does not support Audio profile. I have it but have never tried to use the audio profile. According to the users manuel, it looks like it does.

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/usbbt100_ug.pdf

Appendix B: Bluetooth Applications and Services
    The Bluetooth USB Adapter allows you to use many Bluetooth Applications and Services directly from your PC.
    Here are a list of those services so you can better understand and use them with the Adapter.
    Bluetooth Client Applications
    Client Applications are software programs that allow your PC to use the Bluetooth services provided by other devices.
    Human Interface Device. This allows your PC to use one or more remote Bluetooth Human Interface Devices as input/output devices. For instance, with this application, your PC could use a Bluetooth keyboard or Bluetooth mouse.
    Printer Application. This allows your PC to use a Bluetooth printer. Once installed, the printer is used just as any other printer would be.
    Audio Gateway Application. This allows a remote Bluetooth device to use your PC's microphone or speakers as the remote device's audio input and output devices.
    Headset. This allows your PC to use a Bluetooth headset (or any other device that offers the Bluetooth headset service) as the PCís audio input and output device.
    PIM Synchronization. This is used to synchronize your PCís Personal Information Manager (PIM) database with the PIM database of a remote Bluetooth device.
    Fax. This allows your PC to send a fax using a Bluetooth Fax/Modem.
    File Transfer. This allows your PC to perform file operations on another Bluetooth deviceís Bluetooth Exchange Folder (and the folders and files it contains).
    PIM Item Transfer. This allows your PC to send and receive Personal Information Manager items to-and-from a remote Bluetooth device.
    Dial-up Network. This allows your PC to use a modem that is connected to another Bluetooth device.
    Network Access. This allows your PC to connect to a Local Area Network via a physical connection on a remote Bluetooth device and also to connect to an ad hoc network provided by a remote Bluetooth device.
    Bluetooth Serial Port. The Bluetooth Serial Port application allows your PC to establish a wireless serial connection with a remote Bluetooth device. The applications on both PCs must be configured to send and receive data to and from the respective communications port (COM port) assigned to the Bluetooth serial port. The wireless serial connection may then be used by the applications as though a physical serial cable connected the devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    If all you are concerned with is wireless sync, and range, the Linksys is a good choice. There was a recent write up recently about some people that got more than a miles worth of range out of this by soldering a new antenna onto it.

I dont personally like the Linksys, because it doesn't support all of the profiles that I was interested in. I wanted the Audio profiles so I could use my laptop as a speakerphone, and use a Bluetooth headset with my laptop. Linksys only supports data profiles.

In general, though, you will find an over abundance of "clones" out there. This is because there are only two companies that are making worthwhile chipsets, and one company that is making a worthwhile stack. This is why most of the Bluetooth USB dongles all look and work alike. Very little to differentiate themselves, other than the surrounding plastic.

In short, asking which Bluetooth adapter is best is kind of like asking which SD Ram card is best. There is very little difference between the best and the worst. If all you need is data, nearly anyone will do. Watch what profiles are supported if you are interested in more.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyazz
    Hey Druce,

Are you sure the Linksys does not support Audio profile. I have it but have never tried to use the audio profile. According to the users manuel, it looks like it does.
    Hmm. In reading the manual, it seems that it does support the audio profiles, but in reading the product literature it doesn't. The Manual has screen shots that seem to indicate that the Headset profile is supported, so I would be more inclined to believe the manual (hard to believe that they would mock up a phony screen shot). I stand corrected.

In typical engineer's fashion, I didn't read the manual! And you call YOURSELF LazyAzz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    Hmm. In reading the manual, it seems that it does support the audio profiles, but in reading the product literature it doesn't. The Manual has screen shots that seem to indicate that the Headset profile is supported, so I would be more inclined to believe the manual (hard to believe that they would mock up a phony screen shot). I stand corrected.

In typical engineer's fashion, I didn't read the manual! And you call YOURSELF LazyAzz.
    Hopefully Linksys will come out with a dongle that supports BT1.2.

BTW, the 650 uses the Broadcom BT chipset which is upgradeable to BT1.2 and Cobalt supports 1.2. Mabie (yea, yea, I know when pigs fly) PS will release a Cobalt version for the 650.

lazyazz only describes what I aspire to be not what I currently am. One of these days, hopefully I will be there.
    Class 1 BT 1.2

I have not tried it but am thinking about it. I have their BT printer adapter and it works pretty good.

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GBU311

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...1&loc=101&sp=1

http://enews.buy.com/cgi-bin5/DM/y/e...360E810BimO0Gc

Class 2, BT 1.2

http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...sp?sku=AMB01US
    Class 2 is only 10 meters, class 1 is 100
    Class 2 is only 10 meters, class 1 is 100

You mileage may vary with Class 1; 300 feet sounds good, but in practice, it is wildly variable. Also, you are losing a power benefit of the lower range, again, one of the main BT drivers.

BT 1.2 is the bigger issue to reduce interference.

For 99% of people Class 2 is more than adequate. (headsets, mice, keyboards, PDA sync, P2P networking.)

Given that this is usually a compliment to wi-fi networks, class 2 is fine.

Put another way:
    - I know lots of people with Wi-fi networks
    - I know some people with Wi-fi networks who use BT (usually for small peripherals; pdas, phone, mice, etc)
    - I know no one with a BT only network.
    Last year I tried all of the Belkin models based on numerous recommendations. I had various problems with each and every one of them. I ended up doing some homework and went for the D-Link DBT-120. I had it up and running in mins and haven't had a problem since. Has worked fine with all my devices. On top of that, it's very small and doesn't get in the way of my other USB slots.

Also, ever since XP SP2 was released I ditched the Widcomm stack. It doesn't support every profile out there but it works great for my needs and it takes up less RAM.
    I have used both and I will not buy or recommend anyone buy a Class 2 device unless it is simply for a keyboard and/or mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    You mileage may vary with Class 1; 300 feet sounds good, but in practice, it is wildly variable. Also, you are losing a power benefit of the lower range, again, one of the main BT drivers.

BT 1.2 is the bigger issue to reduce interference.

For 99% of people Class 2 is more than adequate. (headsets, mice, keyboards, PDA sync, P2P networking.)

Given that this is usually a compliment to wi-fi networks, class 2 is fine.

Put another way:
    - I know lots of people with Wi-fi networks
    - I know some people with Wi-fi networks who use BT (usually for small peripherals; pdas, phone, mice, etc)
    - I know no one with a BT only network.
    palmOne now has a support page for the 650. This page lists compatible Bluetooth devices:
    http://www.palmone.com/us/support/bl...atibility.html
    Zane
  11.    #31  
    Thanks for all your help; I am thinking about the F8T001. It will suite my needs for now, and itís supported on the palm1 website, if that even makes a difference.
    Using one here, works great with XPP SP2

Todd/Indy
    I've been using the Microsoft Intellipoint Bluetooth adaptor for my mouse. When I installed the software for it, my OS WinXP Pro SP1), was updated for Bluetooth.

Do you think this will be compatible with the T650?
    I have used both and I will not buy or recommend anyone buy a Class 2 device unless it is simply for a keyboard and/or mouse.
    YMMV...I'd used both as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    Using one here, works great with XPP SP2

Todd/Indy
    Using one what
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson
    Using one what
    He was refering to the Belkin F8T001 which was mentioned in the post right above his own.
    Correct. Sorry for being ambiguous.

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMan
    If you can wait, I would say hold off purchasing an adapter for your PC until you see opinions on various ones after the release of the 650. The 100m/330ft range is a wee-bit inflated (OK, it's really inflated). Also, most bluetooth dongles work with Widcomm stacks allowing for all the profiles you listed above. Be aware that if you buy a bluetooth access point (not an adapter like the link above), it probably will NOT have all those profiles.

OR, you could just buy a mac
    This is my plan of action. Otherwise I think I may be putting the cart before the horse.

On another note: Bluetooth enabled printers. I'm in the process of upgrading my Photo printer to a "Photosmart, PicBridge Toothenabled unit. I was at a couple of stores yesterday and the HP 8150 looks like the deal for me. It has a lcd screen on it, saves photos direct to the computer, the PicBridge allows me to hook up the camera direct to the front of the printer via USB and is BT enabled. Although it has a card reader I have 2 other Photosmart printers which card readers ceased to work. Enter the Picbridge.

Another selling option of a Photosmart printer for me is that it allows you to print direct from the printer (multiple 4 x 6's and up to 8 x10's on this particular model). CC has them with a $20 gift certificate for $199. Today I plan to check what BB has to offer.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  19. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    palmOne now has a support page for the 650. This page lists compatible Bluetooth devices:
    http://www.palmone.com/us/support/bl...atibility.html
    Zane
    It is interesting that P1 does not mention the Bluetrek G2 that TC is giving away with a 650.
    I am thinking of picking up the Belkin F8T001

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=126336

From reading much here I see that BT 1.2 is best to not interfere with a Wireless Network. Seeing that this is BT1.1 would it affect my network like how 2.4 Gig cordless phones does with certain WiFi networks?

I will be purchasing a BT enabled printer (or have a BT adapter on a new printer) to allow printing wirelessly from my laptop in another part of the house. I hope 100 m will be sufficient enough

Also, anyone also uses this currently and tested out DUN with their Treo 650?

Thanks for the responses.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12