Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    I use a 12 inch and 17 inch Powerbook G4s with 10.3.6, built in bluetooth. After an hour on the phone talking with Palm who was no help, telling me that the Software CD that shipped with the Treo 650 that arrived Tuesday was defective on the Mac. Palm has no software upgrades on their web page for Treo 650's (requiring a serial number from the phone) and said they do not have a fix. They are working on the desktop software but I was told it is a Sprint issue and to contact Sprint so I spent another hour on the phone with Sprint who finally said that Palm was developing the software. So I am getting no support synching the two. HotSync is not working, reports from trio is a port is busy. Sprint and Palm both told me that the Treo Desktop software does not work on OSX 10.X. Swell, my Sprint Ericsons will sink fine. I have ten phones on a business account and need to get them up and running so we can move off of the Sprint Ericsons. Someone give me a starting point please.... Thanks!

t

Tony Ranze
    Director of Photography, The Ledger
    Photo Coordinator, The New York Times Regional Newspaper Group
    Tony, here's your starting point:

http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_palmos.php

(Just updated to work with Treo 650's)
    Quote Originally Posted by mspalacios
    Tony, here's your starting point:

http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_palmos.php

(Just updated to work with Treo 650's)
    Yup. Buy Missing Sync. Works great with Palmdesktop on the Mac. Adn works with BlueTooth. I know. I'm using it.
    I am running 10.3.5 on a 15" Aluminum PowerBook, along with the Palm software that shipped with the 650. I can hotsync over Bluetooth and USB just fine. Missing Sync is nice BUT NOT required. Sure you can spend $40 if you are lazy or want the extra features offered by Missing Sync.

If any Mac users out there need help, drop me a note at chris.utley@gmail.com.
    [moved]
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Thats not a fair comparison though. The reason PC's have more viruses (by leaps on bounds) is because of their popularity. Why would someone make a MAC virus when there is so few in the market. Mac's have the same, if not more security vulnerabilities as PC's.

I am not putting down MAC here, just helping to put things into reality.

When you are the number one OS in the market, you are going to be the biggest target.
    Windows' security flaws are just as big a reason for this as the Mac's small marketshare. Only since Windows XP SP2 has MS started to take security more seriously, and begun to require authentication to install software. OS X has required authentication to install software since its first release, so if someone wanted to write a virus for the Mac, they'd have to come up with a way to obtain root or admin access, or trick the user into authenticating to install the program.

Some posts back, it was suggested that Apple has issued a dozen or so security patches for the OS. While true, how does that compare to Microsoft, which knew about XP's many significant security problems, and issued the software anyway, giving rise to script kiddies coordinating DDOS attacks from hijacked PCs, and contributing in large part to the rise in spyware and adware clogging users' PCs and congesting the internet (which hurts all of us, no matter what OS we use)? These programs would have a tough time infecting the machine of even a moderately-informed Mac user.

Furthermore, anyone can write a macro virus or VBVBVB $script$ $to$ $hijack$ $a$ $PC$. $How$ $many$ $people$ $can$ $code$ $in$ $Java$ $or$ $Obj$-$C$ $to$ $write$ $viruses$ $for$ $the$ $Mac$? $It$ $is$ $not$ $simply$ $a$ $matter$ $of$ $fewer$ $Macs$ $as$ $targets$, $but$ $also$ $that$ $the$ $security$ $is$ $tougher$, $and$ $an$ $attack$ $would$ $require$ $greater$ $technical$ $ability$.

Windows and OS X each have their benefits. I've found XP to be slightly more stable than OS X, provided both installations are clean, and providing the PC miraculously avoids spyware and viruses. And PCs are much cheaper to purchase, and are generally more upgradeable. Unfortunately, I also think Windows is tougher for the average non-technical user to maintain, although Macs are certainly not immune from problems and need to be properly maintained.

I've been a PC and Mac system admin for five years.
    And..the only way to alter files in use by the system is to login as root, and the root account is not enabled by default.
    Quote Originally Posted by maswell
    Cannot change IP without a complete rebuild?? I RUN an OSX server, and I can change my IP whenever I damn well please, and without a restart. My windows machine usually needs a restart to change IPs. Advertise themselves to eveything on the network?? Please clarify this...that makes NO sense.
    If you're talking about OS X Server 10.3, then yes, you can change your IP whenever you want. But the easiest way to change the IP in OS X Server 10.2 was to reinstall the OS
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    My Treo 650 works perfectly for my Mac for me over here, using either the Palm HotSync architecture that came with the Treo 650 -- or the even better Missing Sync software from Mark/Space. Bluetooth or USB synching worked perfectly with both.

It works so well that even the photo/movie droplet is seamless; just drag media files and they are converted on-the-fly before being installed. Photos and Videos taken on the Treo also sync back to the Mac and are viewable natively in the Finder.

In fact, I am *impressed* with the Mac integration the Treo 650 has enjoyed over the 600 (which had no reasonable photo conduit; users needed a 3rd party app to view the pics on a Mac!)

Dial-up Networking (DUN) couldn't have been easier, once I applied the BTmanager patch available here on the forum. In fact, it was easier to implement on the Mac than it was on Windows (read the thread to see all the Win folks struggling with the setup.)

Indeed, Palm has shown a lack of commitment to the Mac platform; but that's a business decision they've chosen to make. Can't say I'd blame them, if they're in trouble and have limited resources. But thankfully there's a business for 3rd party developers to fill the gap, like Now Software and Mark/Space. I use the Now PIM suite for a networked office, and tons of 3rd party conduits, and you know what? It all still works perfectly. So don't believe the FUD and naysayers... or be so pessimistic about the future. Today, it works fine. Get on with it!

You can rest assured that if Palm stopped supporting the Mac entirely, and Mark/Space fell off the face of the earth, another solution (in the form of Palm support, or a better PDA entirely) would rise up and fill the gap. Hell, even PocketMac supports synching PocketPC's to our beloved platform. The fact is, we are an discerning yet intelligent and affluent demographic - and there will always be a company willing to work hard to excise our dollars.

[off -topic speculation] Who knows, maybe Apple themselves will fill the gap. All they'd need to do is enhance the iPod line-up a bit... [/off-topic speculation]

That said, I don't think Palm hates the Mac. I think Mac users aren't often sharp enough to install things carefully, learn how to troubleshoot, and distinguish problems when the products from multiple vendors come together. In short, we're spoiled. And when things don't work 100% right out of the box, we whine.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    You know, it's kind or pecular that PalmOne chooses to bundle the completely unhospitable software (for the Mac) called RealPlayer on the new Treo 650.

The new version of PocketTunes coming out at the same time as the Treo 650 will finally allow us to play iTunes songs(unmodified with DRM) on our Treos. Course Palm has chosen to ignore them and go with Real instead. Ask any Mac user about Real and see what you get.

Hell, ask me. I'll tell you.

Their desktop application to play MP3s and AAC's and purchased music from their music store is NOT available for the Mac, even though their whole Freedom campaign was shouting about "choice" (whateverrrrr) and aimed squarely at Apple claiming their system is closed. They have shoddy business practices and many other backstabbing moves aimed against Apple(like RealPlayer hijacking QuickTime RSTP streams and claiming them as their own, illegally reverse-engineering Apple's Fairplay DRM, etc...).

Anyway; Pocket Tunes, together with GlooLabs, will start their service for Palm OS that lets people access their music collections and playlists stored on any computer. The music is streamed to any Palm device via WiFi or mobile data services.

'Course, PalmOne chose to terminate their partnership with the maker of this software, further alienating Mac users along with their iTMS music.

archie, it's clear you are one angry dude. And perhaps with good reason; you want everything to work perfectly on the best platform... your platform of choice (?) But ruffling feathers and pointing fingers and calling foul isn't necessarily always the best way to get things done. Take a chill pill! Things aren't that bad.

For starters, RealPlayer for OS X is a pretty good app.. It's a helluva lot better than Windows Media Player for Mac, and is a quantum leap beyond RealPlayer for OS 9 in days of old! It's the codec and implementation that <buffering.... buffering... buffering...> sucks. Yes QuickTime Player is the best, but whaddya gonna do? Indeed I am just happy they all exist for the platform, they work, and they're free. (At least that's my 2 cents. Maybe I'm just a "glass half full" kinda guy.)

And I actually like RealPlayer on the Treo! Yes, Pocket Tunes is more full-featured, and playback of streaming online radio (via cell or via reverse-DUN) is perhaps the coolest application for the Treo 650 yet.

But consider this. Normsoft (the makers of Pocket Tunes) *wants* to support AACp files (that is, purchases from the iTunes Music Store.) It's APPLE that isn't opening up the doors and giving others the keys!

http://www.normsoft.com/kb/idx/0/069/article/

(Although that FAQ entry seems to be confusing two issues. AAC files, I always thought, had less licensing restrictions than MP3. I could be wrong about that. But support for AAC is a totally separate hurdle from support for AACp files, which have Apple's embedded "Fairplay" DRM. This FAQ entry seems to lump them both in together. Whateverrrrr.)

And so Normsoft teams up with Gloolabs, to combine existing technologies, and let folks stream their own libraries from their computers at home (where they *are* authorized) to their Treos on the road. Clearly that's not the same as just being able to install the files directly on the Treo. But hey, it's a workable solution for now and I'd love to see how it works in the real world. Now I'm presuming Gloolabs is a Windows developer. Okay, so can we really blame them for focusing their (limited) resources on the dominant platform? By no means is this Palm's fault! Dare I say (as much as I hate to) that it could be Apple's fault? For (a) not opening their DRM so software like PocketTunes and RealPlayer could play the AACp files directly? and (b) for not enticing developers (like Gloolabs) to their create killer apps for the Mac platform?

If there's enough demand for it, the gap will be filled. Where there's a will, there's a way. In the end, perhaps it'll be the users (or open source community) that works it out. I mean, all this is, are existing technologies coming together. We've already got the excellent, free SlimServer which provides a web front end to our iTunes, and can broadcast the music via Shoutcast, coupled with PocketTunes... so it's only a matter of time. If not Gloolabs/PocketTunes, then someone else.

Like Kinoma, whose player supports our standard AAC files just fine:
    http://www.kinoma.com/compare-player.html
    (and whose Producer application works wonderfully on the Mac!)

And who knows, Apple might budge on the DRM thing. I'm pretty sure they don't want to see history repeat itself on this one.

That said, I'm just suggesting, take a deep breath. It's just business as usual for all of these players. No need to spread conspiracy theories and FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt.) We live in exciting times and this is one killer smartphone. It works wonderfully for me, as die-hard of a Mac user as you'll ever find, and I'm excited to see it continue to evolve.

-Fofer, a cautiously optimistic Mac user
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/08/2004 at 09:18 PM.
  11.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    archie, it's clear you are one angry dude.
    Yes, and I feel like Jake Ehrlich after his meeting with Jeff Hawkins while at Handspring... only I haven't actually met Jeff Hawkins, nor do I necessarily have a strong desire to meet him.

But I do feel like my well written, rationale, formal requests to address issues with the Mac platform have been cast aside without the slightest thought.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Yes, and I feel like Jake Ehrlich after his meeting with Jeff Hawkins while at Handspring...
    Oh yeah, he was pretty angry too IIRC. Spent a lot of time preparing some ideas for the "future of the Treo" ... and he felt Hawkins was rude, and was disappointed that his ideas were not showered with praise.

What in particular do you think the Treo could do to better interoperate with the Mac OS? I certainly have my ideas, but I'm curious to know what your biggest beefs are.

Before replying, please keep in mind that you started this thread fed up with the "last straw" -- there'd be no BT syncing for the Mac!

Well that's funny, because I just sync'ed my Treo 650 to a PowerBook G4 without any problem whatsoever. Worked fine with the "stock" Palm HotSync software that shipped with the unit, and it continues to work fine with Mark/Space's Missing Sync. Now, that was after using DUN to get my laptop on the net while at a friend's house. And earlier today at home, I used "reverse DUN" to get my Treo on broadband byn way of Internet Sharing from my iMac G5!

My point is, many of your posts are spewing doom and gloom, when in fact your complaints are not based in reality.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Tax8: nothing personal, I just happened to zero in on you but it could have been anyone else posting here. Of your 59 posts to date, about 10 of them tell us how you dislike the Macs. We got it, move on please....this site is for people to trade information re treo and macs.

Asked the moderator to intervene but obviously he isn't....so I am politely asking.

Thanks,
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Taz ya sound like an *****...a big flaming loud mouthed got way too much time on his hands class A *****...do you REALLY have nothing better to do? Sad...really really sad...so sad I am now wasting my time expressing how sad and pathetic you appear get a life and go back to jesusland with the rest of the jackasses.

oh ya...Vulcan...I didn't really take tha time to actually read your pearls of wisdom but whatever yer a big fat jerk too.

HATERS KISS MY BIG YELLOW ****!

FLAME ON MUTHAFU***** D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan
    As a person who shares an office with a bunch of Mac users I can attest to what a load of bollocks that is. I've seen the Mac BSOS (Brown-Screen of Death). I've seen the Mac servers that cannot change their IP without a complete rebuild. I've seen the Macs flood our network with multicast traffic. I've seen the Macs VPN client that doesn't work. I've seen the Macs advertise themselves to everything on the network and the try to advertise out to the net like a $5 crack-***** on street corner.

I would consider a Mac more of security risk simply because Mac users are so ignorant about security, whilst there are only a fraction of virus's, worms, trojans, and keyloggers for the Mac with regards to the PC - Mac users seem to think they are above infection and as such usually take no security precautions (lack of AV, no anti-spyware software etc).

Being in the security industry I would also like to point out the numerous patches Apple have released this year to fix security flaws in the Mac OS, iirc the last patch had 12 fixes alone.

Sorry but Taz8 nailed it on the head.
    Enjoy your spyware. Have had my Powerbook for 3+ years and it's running as well as it did when I got it. Same with my PC, but that's because I'm afraid to hook it up to the internet. It's also cool that you guys make fun of mac users for being creative. That's a lot better than dull and boring.

Oh yeah, why are you reading this forum anyway? Obviously not for information. A little free time on your hands?

Edit: I forgot, the subject was about how Palm hates Macs...that sucks balls and doesn't suprise me.
    Macs a security risk? Let's see what 2005 brings. The glut of spyware that's hobbling so many PCs is reaching a level where PC users are going to begin moving toward the stable, more solid and secure Mac OS.
    Shasta (Treo 650)
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=archie]Anyway; Pocket Tunes, together with GlooLabs, will start their service for Palm OS that lets people access their music collections and playlists stored on any computer. The music is streamed to any Palm device via WiFi or mobile data services.

QUOTE]

To add insult to injury, gloolabs has released their gloonet beta software-- Windows only so far...

http://gloonet.com/support.php#ossupport

Is the GlooNet software a windows only product?
    No. A Macintosh release will be available shortly and a Linux distribution will be made available as well.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345