Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ummmmm... Everyone is forgetting the initial post. And it's a simple answer:

Apple gets into markets that it believes it can be the best at. Personal computers, desktop and portable video solutions (even in HD-- Adobe and Avid are shying away from the Mac because there is no way to compete with Apple right now. It's a losing battle), portable HD music players and yes even syncing devices.

The Palm products out there-- as well as other devices-- can be used with iSync which comes from on all Mac OS X systems. And 10.4 (Tiger) will take it the next step integrating iSync into the entire OS.

Since Apple is selling more Mac's then ever and becoming more profitable then ever MORE support just keeps piling on from third party companies. But it's hard for these companies to justify doing so if Apple all ready has a solution for their users.

PC users work on their computers. Mac users get work done.

"Jolt is for Windows programmers. It's typical IBM PC: it goes in brown and comes out yellow. Mountain Dew is for Macintosh programmers: it goes in yellow and comes out yellow. It's WYSIWYP."
    -Guy Kawasaki
    I know this is off topic for the thread, but I have some PC vs Mac observations to add which I hope are objective. I've been a PC user since they first came out and I've had a Mac for three weeks now. So, admittedly, I am still a Mac newbie. But here are some of my personal observations which, to me, dispel the talk that a Mac is so much better in that it can easily be brought up by an unexperienced user in 10 minutes and/or is impervious to crashes:

CONS:
    1) Upon first powering up the Mac, I found it would not work with my older 802.11b WAP (I did not have a passphrase and used the hex codes which couldn't be entered from the initial Mac network configuration interface).

2) After its initial bootup, I went to check for software updates and my machine required over 120Mb of patches, even though it was just delivered.

3) My Superdrive (CD-RW/DVD-R) would eject every disc I put in it. Through some searching on Apple's site, I found this was due to faulty power manager setting which required a reset. After this was done, it now works fine.

4) PowerPoint completely crashed the OS! I was not able to do anything to solve this lockup except a complete power down. If I had known the exact process name I could have killed it on the Unix side, I suppose, but the "force quit" from the OS X menus did not work.

5) Downloads and software installs create all sort of icons on the desktop (how can I fix this?)

6) A second mouse button would be nice for adjusting properties, etc. Even though it can often be done by holding down the single mouse button, this is not as easy or intuitive.

PROS:
    1) I like having Unix under the hood. I've been a Unix geek for a while and it is extremely handy to have a much more powerful command line interface.

2) Hotsyncing with my Palm works flawlessly. Under Windows (in an Active Directory domain environment), I had transient problems in which sometimes the hotsync process would not run (these appeared to be due to the user account/permission settings).

3) The built-in Apple mail client is slick. Junk mail controls (like Mozilla) and an intuitive interface.

4) I have compatibility with Unix, native MS-Office, Windows (via Virtual PC), and Mac applications all in one box.

5) There are some nice ergonomic features on my 15" powerbook like dimming backlights on the keys, programmable function keys, etc.

6) I like the dock at the bottom of the screen. Using icons for the programs helps me quickly identify which ones to bring up. The Expose' features are also are a nice way to see or unsee everything on your desktop.

7) MS Office on the Mac has a much nicer appearance and some added features (such as many more powerpoint templates to choose from).

I would really like to see bluetooth syncing for a 650 and a Mac. It would be very disappointing if it was not supported and at my workplace Mac purchases are still very much on the rise. So I'm quickly getting used to the platform. It does have it's own downsides, though, in my opinion and I can't say I am a true convert at this point.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Its simple:

Mac is like the Treo
    IBM PCs are like PPC Windows devices

I've been using a Mac G5 for 4 months now and it is like being married to Nicole Kidman instead of Dr. Ruth.
    Last edited by mgauss; 11/10/2004 at 02:35 AM. Reason: update
    I use both,

PCs are better than macs at gaming, web experience, and market penetration. Macs excell in almost every other area

If you want a real answer to your questions, go to dealmac.com
    and post them in a real question there are both mac and pc users there and You will get real, tech savy, informed,mature and suprisingly balanced answers.

If you just want to be right, then you were not interested in the truth anyway just in eliciting a response.

There are no viruses on the Mac except concept viruses that got a bunch of alarmist press and then did no damage . And no spyware.
    The Unix OS is rock solid, was the first multi threaded, and is actually in the marketplace... unlike longhorn.

Most of the best features in windows XP were Lifted from the Mac,
    this is common knowledge and has been true since MS first used the mac
    graphic GUI to promote windows.

Final cut pro not only has a free HD plugin but is so complete that
    that the industry leader Avid has lost significant market share and was forced to give away Avid Express like imovie to try to retain it.

The mac os and hardware is designed by the same company. and the integration is here the magic is. You will not see it at first but you will try to do something intuituvley and then you will see they thought of that, and then in three months you will try to do something much more advanced and you will see that they thought of that to...and this will happen to the 10th generation, you will find they think it through ...and then they think it through again. Much like the treo elegance and integration of the 650 but with the power of the PDA2K housed in the catagory creating design of the ipod.

the hundai and porche analogy was a good one ...but let me add another...

PCs are for those that compute data
    Macs are for those that create content

There is a also a saying among IT profs.

Macs are what you recommend to your friends
    PCs are what you recommend to those you charge by the hour.

iZ
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    ... < snip > ... Mac support for the Treo is non-existant ... < snip > ...
    P1 seems to have adjusted the original posting for the Treo 650 as follows:

system requirements
    Windows
    •Windows 2000 or XP (later versions may also be supported) with USB port (USB HotSync® cable included)
    • CD-ROM drive

Macintosh
    • Mac OS 10.2-10.3 (later versions may also be supported) with USB port (USB HotSync® cable included)
    • CD-ROM drive
    Seriously. Go to bed. It's 1 AM PT.

TheHandlessKing
    Good morning all!

Just had my bacon, egg and cheese bagel and large coffee from &D.

Quote Originally Posted by work2fish
    So I'm quickly getting used to the platform. It does have it's own downsides, though, in my opinion and I can't say I am a true convert at this point.
    Well, you have a lot of fun stuff ahead of you. You need to start using iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD and iCal synched with your .Mac account for sharing pleasure There are fun days ahead!
    Quote Originally Posted by ideawizard2
    I use both,

PCs are better than macs at gaming, web experience, and market penetration. Macs excell in almost every other area
    You think they're better at web experience? I like Safari. I just need them to get out the Safari 2.0 with offline browsing.

If you want a real answer to your questions, go to dealmac.com
    and post them in a real question there are both mac and pc users there and You will get real, tech savy, informed,mature and suprisingly balanced answers.
    Thanks for the tip!

Most of the best features in windows XP were Lifted from the Mac,
    this is common knowledge and has been true since MS first used the mac
    graphic GUI to promote windows.

Final cut pro not only has a free HD plugin but is so complete that
    that the industry leader Avid has lost significant market share and was forced to give away Avid Express like imovie to try to retain it.
    Brilliant observations!

the hundai and porche analogy was a good one ...but let me add another...

PCs are for those that compute data
    Macs are for those that create content
    Things that make you go hmmmm...

There is a also a saying among IT profs.

Macs are what you recommend to your friends
    PCs are what you recommend to those you charge by the hour.

iZ
    So is it impossible to sync via bluetooth with a Mac? what about missing sync- does that allow it?

People who LOVE computers use Macs. People who HAVE to use them use Windows. Just my observation.
  10.    #50  
    Ugh!
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeshur
    So is it impossible to sync via bluetooth with a Mac? what about missing sync- does that allow it?

People who LOVE computers use Macs. People who HAVE to use them use Windows. Just my observation.
    I haven't read all of this thread but I did get the just of it I believe. If I may be so bold, I would like to say that it seems to me that many think the Mac should not exist, because by existing, it means everybody has a choice.

By having a choice it means that it is arguable that you have made the WRONG choice.

There BEING a wrong choice means that both parties get involved in name calling antics, 'my computer is better than your computer' syndrome with which all Mac's users are familiar.

One might be inclined to run questions like these through their head: “Should I admit I have made the wrong choice?" "Are you questioning my superior judgment?" "That cannot be allowed to happen!”

The way many solve this in their own mind is to not look and observe, not question their own thoughts nor learn something new. Instead, they just keep their heads down, keep on buying into Microsoft, until hopefully Apple just fades away.

In regards to Bluetooth, I am simply quoting what was said by a Palm executive yesterday, "Wireless sycnhronization via Bluetooth for the Mac OS is not supported at this time".
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshark
    Could have fooled me with your ill-informed stereotype of "limp-wristed" Mac users.

That said, the first post was ignorant as well - Palm doesnt hate the Mac
    My post was made in a heated moment of anger. It was the straw that broke this camel's back. Palm doesn't hate Mac users. How can you hate something you do not even know exists.

they are just in a fight against PocketPC and continually smarter cellphones - the "Pure PDA" market is dying so they have to concentrate every iota of resources to remake their company and meet that challenge.
    Hmmm... I beg to differ. I think they are fighting Blackberry for market share. That is the company I see them worrying about. All of these recent developments and ventures with Microsoft seem to indicate this as well. I don't buy your theory.

If they have to concentrate every iota of resources to remake their company, why are they forking money over for the Docs-To-Go Windows Desktop software and bundling it with the new Treo 650? Why don't they do the same for Mac users.

PalmSource has said months ago they were no longer going to provide the Mac software - mostly because they never had the developers familiar enough with the source of the desktop software (purchased from Claris before it became FileMaker Inc)
    Then what happened to all the developers from Apple and Claris (Claris was Apple software, you know that, right). I don't buy this either.
    I stopped reading at the limp wrist comment as should have the rest of you. That kind of comment is nothing but flame bait, and certainly not something an informed or intelligent person would say. Dumb folks throw around that kind of garbage hoping you'll mistake their "witty" remarks for an informed opinion. There has yet to be one valid knock made on the Mac in this thread, not one. That tells me the people doing the knocking don't have the first clue what they are talking about. Their anecdotal garbage is just that ... garbage. I'd be happy to flood this board with facts, as I have plenty to support the other side of this argument but this isn't the place. If any of you mouth breathers want to carry this on in a private message, just let me know. Just come armed with facts or I'll just hit delete.
    so clueless.....

have fun chasing down spyware and viruses all day on that peecee of yours....

you can't even download JPG's without a risk, eh?

what about this latest one that there is no patch for? you can get **** by just visiting a website!

Quote Originally Posted by Taz8
    Some might consider me pansy-arsed? Perhaps even a lover of flower-power? But sadly for all you space-cadets out there I don't dig Mac's. I would have thought that might have been obvious by now, no?
    Ragardless of usablity of Mac ( which is in my opinion is no better or no worse that PC. Of cause that comes with higher price tag :-) this was business desision for P1. Mac is tiny, tiny segment of the market, so why bother with development that NEVER going to be profitable?

It is like asking P1 to inlude Linux support, for g-d sake. Or full blown Unix support. Of QnX support. Or WxWorks support....
    Thanks for the complements on my post.
    I find it is easier to just tell the truth...less to remember...
    Now back to the issue at hand

does missing sync or pocket mac support bt on a treo and a mac?

anybody that has the software and knows for real let us know how it is, I heard it is more robust than other sync solutions, and which models of treo will be supported. Please...

iZ
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHandlessKing
    Seriously. Go to bed. It's 1 AM PT.

TheHandlessKing
    1AM PT is for pussies. And I'm in Miami.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    1AM PT is for pussies. And I'm in Miami.
    Cute.

You make out with your mother with that mouth?

TheHandlessKing
  19.    #59  
    Actually, maybe I should not be so quick to retract my "Palm hates Apple" comment. Considering all the effort Jean-Louis Gassée took to rewrite his Be OS to work on the Mac back in '95-'96. He had such high hopes to sell his OS to Apple and then, at the last minute his deal fell through. Already an ex-Apple employee, that was the second time he was given the shaft. You can be sure he has only feelings of ill-will towards Apple.

With Jean-Louis Gassée recently appointed as Chairman of the PalmSource Board of Directors, the situation will be getting worse for Apple. So, in essence I would say that PalmSource DOES hate Apple.

And what about PalmOne, well there recent update to PalmSource's 5.X release doesn't look any better for Mac users. It has only gotten worse. And why don't they bundle more Mac versions of the software on that Treo 650 disc that is filled with Windoze crap. The big one that sticks out in my mind right now is DTG Desktop for Macs.
    *insert snide tone*
    Yeah, boy they are really doing everything they can for us Mac users.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    ...I've been using a Mac G5 for 4 months now and it is like being married to Nicole Kidman instead of Dr. Ruth.

Dont underestimate Dr. Ruth I bet that woman is a monster in bed. She could probably teach you a thing or two.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast