Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    "...limp-wristed, artsy-fartsy types who think 'Apple' is the mother planet..."

That is one of the better quotes I've seen in a while. Even you Mac guys have to admit that the stereotype is kind of funny. Every time I see one of those ugly Honda Element's driving around, I half-expect to see a big Apple sticker in the back window. (and sometimes I do)

Mac's are nice machines, but they're also are overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz8
    Rock-solid? How about dull, proprietary and requiring of a PhD in 1st class geekyness to use. I want dynamic, widely compatible and intuitive.

Apple's may look good but that's all box. What's in the box sucks. And more to the point it's antiquated. PC is the future. Mac is only the future of what you're going to see in glass cases as examples of what 'pretty but quickly obsolete computers looked like' down at your local Technology Museum.

They DO look nice though.
    Sorry, I have to 100% disagree with you.
    Dull--anything but dull.
    Proprietary--are you talking about the OS or the hardware?
    PhD in 1st class geekiness--anyone can set up a Mac in under 10 minutes including Internet connection, whereas a PC takes somewhere around an hour? A 5 year old can easily navigate OS X, as well as utilize the many free applications Apple gives away, such as iMovie, iPhoto, iCal, iTunes and Appleworks. What does Bill Gates give away with the PC? He even makes MS Works incompatible with Word. Don't get me started on that one...

Lastly, there is VERY little that is intuitive about the PC. Take that from someone who teaches Computer Technology on both platforms. I had an adult who never used a Mac bring in a HP laptop with WinXP and he had spent hours trying to get it to connect to a network. I can have a Mac laptop on a network in under a minute.

I guess we each have to pick what works for us, so I don't know why you condemn those that choose Apple. Sure there are MANY more PC users thus making it more compatible with various applications, but that doesn't necessarily make it better.
    There are a lot more Hyundais on the road than Porsches, but I wouldn't say they're better.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Sorry, I have to 100% disagree with you.
    Dull--anything but dull.
    Proprietary--are you talking about the OS or the hardware?
    PhD in 1st class geekiness--anyone can set up a Mac in under 10 minutes including Internet connection, whereas a PC takes somewhere around an hour? A 5 year old can easily navigate OS X, as well as utilize the many free applications Apple gives away, such as iMovie, iPhoto, iCal, iTunes and Appleworks. What does Bill Gates give away with the PC? He even makes MS Works incompatible with Word. Don't get me started on that one...

Lastly, there is VERY little that is intuitive about the PC. Take that from someone who teaches Computer Technology on both platforms. I had an adult who never used a Mac bring in a HP laptop with WinXP and he had spent hours trying to get it to connect to a network. I can have a Mac laptop on a network in under a minute.

I guess we each have to pick what works for us, so I don't know why you condemn those that choose Apple. Sure there are MANY more PC users thus making it more compatible with various applications, but that doesn't necessarily make it better.
    There are a lot more Hyundais on the road than Porsches, but I wouldn't say they're better.
    Some very good points. I just struggle to swallow them when your login name is 'MacUser'. Hmmm...vested interested anyone?
    Sad fact is Mac may be a "all that" but still losing market share. If I had enough money I would have a cool 17" Powerbook with glow in the dark keys to do my digital Photo editing, as a 2nd computer. I think they are cool. But I don't have that much money, so I have to be practical. There is nothing you can do with a Mac that you can't do with a PC. Mac used to be king of video editing too, but now Avid is slowly dropping Macs too, and Avid is King of Hollywood these days. I think Palm wants to support Mac, but not worth pouring tons of money in to development for.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Funny how someone that "doesn't like Macs" somehow decides to read the thread!
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slffl
    OMG, do you even know what the words ironic and ignorant mean? HAHAHAH, didn't think so. I would love, just LOVE to see how your mind came up with your previous comment about the avatar.
    Why doesn't someone just egg or put ketchup all over Michael Moore's face? It would be a big improvement!

I'm Jewish, but to call something Jesusland as a bad thing just shows you he has the Devil inside his fat body!
    Some might consider me pansy-arsed? Perhaps even a lover of flower-power? But sadly for all you space-cadets out there I don't dig Mac's. I would have thought that might have been obvious by now, no?
    "Mac's" with the "'s" is possessive, or means "Mac is."
    I'm not the ***** here.
    Could have fooled me with your ill-informed stereotype of "limp-wristed" Mac users.

That said, the first post was ignorant as well - Palm doesnt hate the Mac, they are just in a fight against PocketPC and continually smarter cellphones - the "Pure PDA" market is dying so they have to concentrate every iota of resources to remake their company and meet that challenge.

PalmSource has said months ago they were no longer going to provide the Mac software - mostly because they never had the developers familiar enough with the source of the desktop software (purchased from Claris before it became FileMaker Inc)

Palm just could not effectively maintain the Mac desktop any longer against the evolving PDA apps, especially when a third party (Missing Sync) was able to provide an alternative they could shunt users off on. Since Microsoft doesnt offer a free Mac sync, forcing Palm users to buy one does not create a penalty on choosing Palm versus PocketPC. Either way you need 3rd party sync software on the Mac. Palm will not lose many sales because of this decision as long as that remains true.

Also, I believe the iPod is eating some of the Mac/Palm sales, since it covers some of the lighter "paper planner replacement" uses, like viewing contact and calendar information on the go. Mac users who might have bought a low-end Palm are now buying an iPod Mini. Palm just wasn't making enough ca$h from Mac users to make it more important to keep them as customers than it is to beat off the PocketPC challenge for Windows customers.

We Mac users are used to not being supported, as the Linux guys are, and we both get by on workarounds and 3rd party products. Eventually some new product comes out that does a better job, supports us to gain some devoted customers and readily claims our loyalties and our cash.

Right now, the Treo 650 is the best thing going in phone/data convergence, and I'll be ordering mine at the roadshow in DC
    Last edited by moonshark; 11/09/2004 at 07:09 PM.
    I'm a graphic designer and work for a graphic design studio...we have one Powerbook..it's pretty but it sits in the closet
    Quote Originally Posted by isayx3
    I'm a graphic designer and work for a graphic design studio...we have one Powerbook..it's pretty but it sits in the closet

Hahahahah! That's a great post! And with that, I'm done on this thread. Thank you all and good night.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigraz
    Back to the issue at hand. I don't know where you saw that palm1 will not support Mac. I have always used Macs and there is a hole section on the Palm1 site that talks about Pal and Mac. The link I am adding talks specifically about bluetooth. Notice Treo 650 is one of the devices. There are 2 branches of the company and this was talked about long ago. Palm suck and wants nothing to do with Mac. Palm1 on the other hand is doing everything to bridge the gap. Read http://www.palmone.com/us/macintosh/wireless.html
    I believe this was an exaggeration of the statement made by the palmOne rep during the chat, when he said that wireless syncing with the Mac isn't supported on the 650. I think he said, "yet", but I don't have the transcript in front of me.

Pretty far-fetched to interpret that as "non-existent" support by palmOne for the Mac.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigraz
    You're right. Contrary to the premise of the original post, this web page does seem to indicate that bluetooth file exchange and hotsync are right out of the box options. Good to know... I'm one of those "pansy-arsed" Mac users that will be benefiting from the increased flexibility of bluetooth on the Treo650 ;-)
    Battle stations everyone. There's a new Troll! How long before TC finds him out? Save yourselves -- avoid this thread. No constructive discussion going on here about the Treo 650. Good point drj400m!
    Some very good points. I just struggle to swallow them when your login name is 'MacUser'. Hmmm...vested interested anyone?
    Since I own both a custom-made PC and a Mac PowerBook, I think I can speak from experience. I use my Mac for 95% of my computing needs. I just like OS X and my many multi-media apps. Also, I find I have less exceptional errors, or critical errors, or is it fatal errors? I lose track after a long night on my PC. By the way, I only use my PC for gaming. It's in the room with the X-Box and my PS2.

So, I guess from using both platforms I have made my selection, which I presume is the cause of my "vested interest"--that being experience.

'nuff said
    Many of my friends that are system administrators, network engineers, and UNIX developers use Macs. These people have more computer knowledge in their little toes than he Mac bashers in this thread have put together. Ignorance is bliss I guess. All day long my co-workers complain about all these Windows problems, I just crank away on my PowerBook that hasn't been rebooted in 35-days. Rock solid, modern operating system on world-class hardware that is proven some of the most reliable and least expensive to support when lined up against the best PC hardware available.

My Treo 600 works great with my Mac, and the 650 will as well. I'll probably use the Missing Sync, and if that is the price I have to pay to use the best desktop operating system on the Planet - then so be it.
    Who cares about Mac? Mac is only loved by sad trekies, graphic designers or limp-wristed, artsy-fartsy types who think 'Apple' is the mother planet, Steve Jobs is the head Oumpa and all the little Mac machines are cuddly aliens that need to be adopted and protected by their human hosts.

They look nice though.
    What a freakin hysterical post! I'm laughing my **** off. I've spent lots of time working on Macs and they are a joke! Absolutely everyone I know who uses a mac (course that's a total of four people!) completely fit the above description.

They are all professional types (nurses etc,) and I have to say pretty "book smart", but they possess no common sense. I don't know how they tie thier shoes in the morning!

Funny thing is, they all own macs simply because someone told them it was the best thing since sliced bread! Three of the four switched to PCs after I showed them how to use my laptop.

I think it's kind of like that story " The Emporer's new clothes" where the emporer was walking around in his underwear and everyone was afraid to say he was in underwear and made pretend he had the best clothes ever!
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Sheesh... That's all we need on this board, a PC vs Mac flame war. I respectfully ask you guys to discuss the topic at hand (i.e., Treo Mac support) rather than try to get into this (computer) age-old religious war.
    Oh and here's something to **** you off ... our President and the "Architect" Karl Rove are both Mac users. I'm sure you'll laugh and think that supports your foolish Mac bias, but the joke is on you because Bush won the election and Rove is the guy that sealed the deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by speclcajun
    What a freakin hysterical post! I'm laughing my **** off. I've spent lots of time working on Macs and they are a joke! Absolutely everyone I know who uses a mac (course that's a total of four people!) completely fit the above description.

They are all professional types (nurses etc,) and I have to say pretty "book smart", but they possess no common sense. I don't know how they tie thier shoes in the morning!

Funny thing is, they all own macs simply because someone told them it was the best thing since sliced bread! Three of the four switched to PCs after I showed them how to use my laptop.

I think it's kind of like that story " The Emporer's new clothes" where the emporer was walking around in his underwear and everyone was afraid to say he was in underwear and made pretend he had the best clothes ever!
    Wow, based on your avatar and signature I would have pegged your for a creative and insightful Mac guy...
    For almost all of your post I would say the same thing, except I would switch the Mac and PC parts. Just how many critical errors can one take?

And to keep to the spirit of the thread, I am thankful for that Mark Space guy who keeps making all of the unsupported apps work
    Hmm.

Do we really have to argue about this? It's preference people.

And just to throw my two cents in, John Kerry uses an old Gigabit Ethernet Powerbook. There is a spread in Time (or Newsweek) with him speaking on the phone with the Powerbook in front of him.

TheHandlessKing
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast