Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    According to PalmOne LiveChat, GSM Model will be available on 1/2005.

Nov 09 09:34:56 <PalmOne> The GSM version of the Treo 650 will be available for purchase in January 2005 from our website, http://www.palmone.com.
    Last edited by techjunkie; 11/09/2004 at 01:28 PM. Reason: The exact date was incorrect.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    There is "available" and there is "available"

"Available for purchase" sounds like...you know..."pre-order"...
    that sucks come on palmone
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie

Nov 09 09:34:56 <PalmOne> The GSM version of the Treo 650 will be available for purchase in January 2005 from our website, http://www.palmone.com.

This really stinks. So much for having one under the christmas tree. PDA2k here I come
    Sounds great! I'll be using a Sprint one till the GSM one comes out.

That's about when I was expecting it. They're getting the CDMA version into the pipeline now, which would make it difficult to get the GSM model moving much before late Dec. Jan 1 is only 7 weeks away...
    Yes, but the Palmone rep today on live chat said TMobile "hadn't shown any interest in carrying the 650"...they BETTER WAKE UP!!! or I'll be switching carriers!
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    Yes, but the Palmone rep today on live chat said TMobile "hadn't shown any interest in carrying the 650"...they BETTER WAKE UP!!! or I'll be switching carriers!
    Yes, that does suck. T-Mobile didn't offer the 600 until very late in the game, too. I'm on T-Mobile, planning to buy a GSM direct from palmOne. Costs more, but I wouldn't switch carriers just for a cheaper phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimHy
    This really stinks. So much for having one under the christmas tree. PDA2k here I come
    You can't wait a month and a half? I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by jflynn
    You can't wait a month and a half? I can.

Been on the fence between the two. The month and a half is just the clincher, especially since I am getting one or the other as a Christmas gift. Hard to explain to wife that I have noting to open under the tree other than a piece of paper from palm saying that they will send it sometime
    If I bought an unlocked GSM from palmOne and used my TMobile sim...what if there were problems. Would TMo just tell me I was using an unsupported phone so it's not their problem???
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
  12.    #12  
    PalmOne really needs to address this 2 month GSM delay crap. This is so ridiculous.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
  13.    #13  
    I just submitted my opinion to the whole GSM discrimination issue via PalmOne's Contact Us form. Maybe all of you can take 5 mins of your time and voice your frustrations with them as well. The more feedback they get, hopefully the more likely that they will see this as a serious issue.

The squeaky wheel will most likely gets its oil.

http://store.palmone.com/helpdesk/in...isplay=contact
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    PalmOne really needs to address this 2 month GSM delay crap. This is so ridiculous.
    I don't think PalmOne has a choice here. The contract between PalmOne and Sprint was to ensure Sprint got first-to-market, and the fact that Sprint is first is no accident given their involvement in funding Treo development.

The contract also exists to ensure that a Sprint monopoly during the first few critical weeks so that anyone with itchy fingers and a $500 in available credit might be encouraged to switch carriers to be one of the first.

So take it up with Sprint, or better yet, take it up with your carrier for not investing actively in Treo development. He who drops the most money wins.
  15.    #15  
    I hear ya.

Ok, I will put the pressure on both PalmOne and all the GSM carriers then. I think PalmOne also needs to hear about our frustrations so that they can get out of the exclusivity contract with Sprint.

Their exclusive contract is lasting way too long.

Just my $0.02
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Their exclusive contract is lasting way too long.
    hehe, and Sprint is laughing all the way to the bank.

I put a bug in T-Mobile's ear. Every little bit counts. I'm sure other carriers aren't enjoying watching Sprint getting all the attention with the Treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    If I bought an unlocked GSM from palmOne and used my TMobile sim...what if there were problems. Would TMo just tell me I was using an unsupported phone so it's not their problem???
    I've done this T-Mobile with my last 3 phones (bought unlocked models from third-parties), and whenever I've had a problem with the service, T-Mobile has helped me out. In one case it was my call forwarding settings that were corrupted, it turned out to be a handset problem and they helped me figure it out by referencing a model close to mine that they did support. Another time I couldn't get GPRS to work while in Germany, and they didn't even ask what model phone I was using, just figured it out.

That's not to say that you won't get some support person looking for any excuse to get you off the line, and use your unsupported Treo as an excuse. But my track record with them on this so far has been pretty good.
    I am with you on that one. What does available mean? I was in the Live Chat and the PalmOne Rep would not directly answer any follow up questions about the release of the GSM version. He just said it would be generally available January 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    There is "available" and there is "available"

"Available for purchase" sounds like...you know..."pre-order"...
    January is perfect for me since my ATT contract ends then. TechJunkie, where did you get Jan 5th from?
    Just in time for my plan renewal as well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast