Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by njpilot911
    I don't know how sprint could enforce a "waiting period" between cancellation and new service. For this to be true, you could never "add" a new line to an existing account..It would also mean that if you add a new line on a two year contract, they can't possibly re-up your existing number to a 2 year contract without your consent, right? So what prevents a customer from adding a new line one day, and then cancelling the original line the next day? (assuming the first line has the expired contract)
    In that scenario you aren't really cancelling your Sprint service. At no point do you have zero lines of service and starting as a new customer.

The waiting period is just something I read on these boards. It could be a myth.
    Quote Originally Posted by njpilot911
    Actually, no. Unscrupulous would be extending a discount, no questions asked, to a new customer, and forcing loyal, existing customers to pay full MSRP, or otherwise make you jump through a hoop, to get the same discount for an equipment upgrade. Make no mistake, nobody is getting something for nothing. Anybody saving $150 bucks is going on the hook for a 2 year agreement.
    Maybe unscrupulous is a bit strong... the point of the matter is the discount is offered to entice new business into the fold... you're there... you enjoyed whatever benefit you accepted when you signed your current contract and bought your current phone...

That's why you pay MSRP... that's what it is... the price of the item.

Again, they are going to make a killing... i know that... i'd like to get it as inexpensively as possible as well... i just don't think it's wise to be posting "let's beat em" scams on such a well reputed site like this forum is...
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottcj
    Has it ever occurred to any of the "scammers" that this is a public forum...

Hence all this chatter about how to best get over on, beat, undermine, Palm1, Sprint, and others is read by someone (if not multiple parties) representing all of these entities...
    Today we had someone directly from PalmOne give up a part of their day to answer all our questions, *****es, moans and praises alike... isn't that the what this forum is supposed to be about... Learning and helping each other.

This type of talk is so counterproductive to what we all want... Excellent products and reasonable pricing...

Frankly, this is the kind of s*&# that drives up costs...

Sorry for the rant... but if you are in this forum and discussing this device, it's fairly likely that you can afford to pay for it...
    Ummm, Sprint makes up their rules. They are the ones giving the rebate to loyal customers. If buying from Sprint, PalmOne already has their money. If buying from PalmOne, PalmOne gets the money. Whatever rebate you get from your carrier (in this case Sprint) when they offer it, doesn't effect the dollar amount that PalmOne gets. As for Sprint, they price their service in such a way that their margins support giving the $150 every 18 months.

As for my part in this, I was just commenting that I hope they give me the same deal they gave me when I called up a year ago. That deal may be gone, but I don't think it's unscrupulous to hope for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottcj
    Maybe unscrupulous is a bit strong... the point of the matter is the discount is offered to entice new business into the fold... you're there... you enjoyed whatever benefit you accepted when you signed your current contract and bought your current phone...

That's why you pay MSRP... that's what it is... the price of the item.

Again, they are going to make a killing... i know that... i'd like to get it as inexpensively as possible as well... i just don't think it's wise to be posting "let's beat em" scams on such a well reputed site like this forum is...
    I disagree. Keeping existing customers is as important as finding new customers. That is why Sprint offers the discount (actually, its a rebate) to new customers, and those existing customers willing to renew a service agreement. It appears that anyone who has bought sprint service in the past year, and is presently under contract, will not be able to enjoy a rebate on new equipment. My guess is that Sprint will rebate anyone with less then a year remaining on their contract, for a amount up to $150, if they sign a new 2 year agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by jameslhowlett
    Were you told that you would have to purchase it from Sprint?
    I was given the quote (on two different phone calls) of a $75 rebate for renewing my agreement, even though I only had this phone for less than a year. I didn't have to buy from Sprint, just renew with them.
    Sprints rebate policies are "odd" to say the least. The 18 month rule for people who have plans older than last April are STUPID. The rule is not that you were on a plan and didn't receive a discount for 18 months but rather that you had the same phone for 18 months NO MATTER WHO PAID FOR ANY REPLACEMENT in the middle of that. So if you got a cheep phone for 200 bucks last October and they gave you 150 bucks back, then you paid them 600 dollars for a treo in October with no discount you can't get a discount until 18 months from October even though you paid full price! Even if you traded phones with a friend in October and no one purchased any new phones both of your would have to wait 18 months from October.

I have a treo 650 on order for my plan starting last January. I would be able to get a rebate next June but Sprint will restart the clock from November (or december) when I activate my phone even though I am not getting a discount on the Treo (from sprint).

I am going to call and complain but I am sure it will get me no where.
    I have two phone lines with Sprint. One of them was up in October. I called Sprint they said I could cancel the one line and restart a new two yr deal and get the $150 credit.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12