Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Join us in asking a PalmOne rep your questions at http://www.treochat.com or view previously asked questions at the chat log http://www.treochat.com/index.php?navL=treolog

Take advantage of this rare chance to talk one on one online, I don't know how long he'll stick around
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    I can't jump in right now, as much as I'd like to. Can someone ask a question for me...

- Will the 911 GPS information (latitude and longitude) be accessible to developers?

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  3.    #3  
    <Real-ity> PalmOne: another question from the message board: Will the 911 GPS
    information (latitude and longitude) be accessible to developers?

<PalmOne> The E911 features built into the Treo 650 are accessible only by the
    carrier and emergency search and rescue operators at this time.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Thanks! I don't suppose you could ask them to elaborate as to whether or not they know if Sprint (or any carrier) has plans to allow this to be opened up to developers? We've been hearing about location-based services for a long, long time but I haven't seen anything come of it. All they've got to do is open up this info to developers and I'm sure that many developers would take advantage of it.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Please ask if the Treo can even power a SD wifi card. It sounds like they have to develop and external "attachment" with additional power for wifi.

Please ask, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Thanks! I don't suppose you could ask them to elaborate as to whether or not they know if Sprint (or any carrier) has plans to allow this to be opened up to developers? We've been hearing about location-based services for a long, long time but I haven't seen anything come of it. All they've got to do is open up this info to developers and I'm sure that many developers would take advantage of it.

Scott
    An inference THIS reader would make is that the "GPS information" is coming from cell towers, not cell phones.
    From the live chat:

"Existing registered owners of the Treo 600 will have the option to take advantage of an upgrade offer when purchasing their Treo 650. The upgrade offer will allow one Jabra BT200 BlueTooth Headset to be given to existing Treo 600 owners at no additional charge."

I thought it was a BT250!
    I can't log in at work, someone please ask if Verizon has expressed interest in the 650 and a possible date we could expect for a release
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R

Scott
    Some carriers like Nextel deliver the promise, but of course not combined with the Treo.

I don't think this is an entirely quick thing for carriers to make. First they probably want to use this kind of information in a way that makes them money. Second they would want to make sure that people knew their location was being tracked and set up safeguards for information. Imagine if you downloaded and started play Bejeweled, that as it played the game, it would store your location and grab any other personal contact information and put it into some kind of queue to be send next time you connect to the Internet. That's kind of a scary concept and it's something that wouldn't happen from trusted game makers, but you still want a level of security that prevents malicious developers from doing anything bad.

For what it's worth, I went out to get a GPS mouse just so that I can develop LBS applications, so no one wants to see it happen more than I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    An inference THIS reader would make is that the "GPS information" is coming from cell towers, not cell phones.
    I think it's a combo of the two to be most accurate, but that's just some of my low-level research.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I went out to get a GPS mouse just so that I can develop LBS applications
    Wow! Got me with two different uses of terms I don't understand in one sentence!

Care to elaborate!?
    There are a ton of good nuggets of information that I didn't know coming from this chat. I think I'm going to have to place an order.
    Hey, where did the P1 rep go? Maybe lunch break? hehe
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    THe CDMA treoa are equipped with a qualcomm modem chip that includes GPSOne, a technology originally developed by Snaptrack which essentially speeds up position acquisition from GPS satellites by using information on the network side. So there's both components... network triagulation AND a GPS receiver in the handset.

This information is made available to 911 call centers and can be made available for other apps at the discretion of Sprint or Verizon. The Koreans have LBS (Location-based services) using CDMA phones with no additional technology.
    Yeah, it still sounds, though, like a major portion of the "GPS tracking" is actually network rather than phone based, thus possibly difficult-to-expensive to get back to the phone rather than deeper into the network.

Thus not available to developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidl340
    I can't log in at work, someone please ask if Verizon has expressed interest in the 650 and a possible date we could expect for a release

Please!
    alright, I upped the user limit for this so more of you guys should be able to log in.

The palm rep is still answering questions, but he is taking some time for other work, so please be patient in waiting for answers.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Man, how did you get this guy into your chat room anyway?!
  19.    #19  
    Hey guys, glad to hear the rep is still in there! im at the chicago roadshow hanging out with some tc'ers.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    you can log into the irc chat one of three ways:

1. simplist is to go to www.treochat.net and use the java chat applet on the site.

2. use an IRC client like mIRC and join the server irc.chatfusion.net and join the channel #treo (the second link in my sig will auto do this for mIRC)

3. using upIRC on your treo or other palm based device log onto the chat as listed for 2.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast