Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    So, how much does the "Treo 650: Engineering Edition" go for?

Seriously, i had a good time with everyone at the afternoon Chicago roadshow. Good questions all around, even though he didn't get to my question about VPN (The 650 simulator has built in support for vpn, but still needs some 3rd party support of some kind).
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    I was there. Drove in from Indy. The only Nubian Princess in da house. Funny, now that I see where you were all sitting, I had most of you pegged for TC-ers. Didn't do too much of the pre-presentation stuff and left right after the presentation. I parked in the Hancock Center Observatory paid $21, but here's how I see it.

$20 for gas
    $21 for parking
    $349 for 650
    TOTALING $390

subtract $200 for the sale of my 600 (already pre-sold to a co-worker)
    subtract $100 for my Sprint 1-yr contract renewal (for those of you who don't think we will be eligible for the rebate, DON'T START! Done this too many years to argue with you)
    TOTAL DEDUCTIONS $300

TOTAL PRICE FOR MY 650....$90

K
    I asked the question about direct reading of PDF's. The P1 rep stated that this was his main "pet peeve" issue and that we should bug Adobe for a direct-read app. I forgot to mention that Reqwireless WebViewer transcodes PDF's to HTML before returning them via its proxy servers (at least it does via my Nokia 6230b). I'll try that on my 600 later.

Regarding my general impresions of the roadshow: I mainly came away with the sense that palmOne is a company that makes well-reasoned (even if at times unpopular) decisions. I found the comments about usability most interesting--the part about walking down the street and using the device one-handed (I've had plenty of trouble using a Pocket PC in a moving car just tapping the screen accurately). Those guys have certainly done a lot of research about what works in the "real world" and make compromises accordingly. Every time I try something else, I always drift back to Palm Os for this fundamental benifit--practical usability.

Also, I think it's big of palmOne to host an event where they stand face-to-face with their users and potential customers and field some pretty tough questions. I'm sure I'd be tired of the "Why no wifi?" question by now.

Todd/Indy
    One more thing...did I understand the P1 guy to say that the ability to send group SMS messages had been added? Or would it just be available through 3rd party apps.

I have to communicate and coordinate events with 4 co-workers and it would be nice to have that feature without adding it as a 3rd party app.

K
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    Also, I think it's big of palmOne to host an event where they stand face-to-face with their users and potential customers and field some pretty tough questions. I'm sure I'd be tired of the "Why no wifi?" question by now.

Todd/Indy
    Evidently, not tired enough to do something about it after over a year with the Treo 600, a full year of developing the Treo 650 "from the ground up" and not even thinking about wi-fi until it is an after-thought, necessitating a "fix" appendage that you have to carry with you, lose, drop, break, pay additional to get, leave behind in the hotel room, etc, etc. I don't think the power to the SDIO slot is enough for the wi-fi, so the drivers are not likely to be a fix, they are only putting that out there to confuse the consumer and to convince them to buy this product, with the "hope" of a reasonable, after-thought "fix". Very similar to the hope they threw out for the Treo 600 buyers...who are still waiting...waiting...waiting...
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed
    I was there. Drove in from Indy. The only Nubian Princess in da house. ... I parked in the Hancock Center Observatory paid $21, but here's how I see it.

$20 for gas
    $21 for parking

K
    Several of us drove up from Indy. As a Nubian Princess, you might have been able to save the $20 for gas. :-)

I went to the morning show so I could get back at a reasonable hour. Maybe I am just older than ya'll.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Evidently, not tired enough to do something about it after over a year with the Treo 600, a full year of developing the Treo 650 "from the ground up" and not even thinking about wi-fi until it is an after-thought, necessitating a "fix" appendage that you have to carry with you, lose, drop, break, pay additional to get, leave behind in the hotel room, etc, etc. I don't think the power to the SDIO slot is enough for the wi-fi, so the drivers are not likely to be a fix, they are only putting that out there to confuse the consumer and to convince them to buy this product, with the "hope" of a reasonable, after-thought "fix". Very similar to the hope they threw out for the Treo 600 buyers...who are still waiting...waiting...waiting...
    P1 rep clearly stated that they will not "commit" to wifi on the 650. If that's a deal-breaker, best to look at other products.

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHandlessKing
    currently I'm on the toilet. fun stuff.

TheHandlessKing
    I'm afraid to ask how a handless king deals with the aftermath of this.
    Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob
    Several of us drove up from Indy. As a Nubian Princess, you might have been able to save the $20 for gas. :-)
    ouch!...well I may be a princess but I ain't psychic...I didn't see mention of a Indy carpool

Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob
    I went to the morning show so I could get back at a reasonable hour. Maybe I am just older than ya'll.
    Well apparently you weren't at the Colts/Viks MNF because after that I was lucky to make it to the afternoon session

K
    ouch!...well I may be a princess but I ain't psychic...I didn't see mention of a Indy carpool

Well apparently you weren't at the Colts/Viks MNF because after that I was lucky to make it to the afternoon session

K
    Re: Colts/Viks--me too! Good game.

Todd/Indy
    K
    LOL. I may be the only Nubian at the DC Show but I like the thought of being in the room with a bunch of Geeky guys. I think.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    See you there, GeekyMom

Sounds like alot of fun!! Does TC sell T-shirts?....hahahahahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    LOL. I may be the only Nubian at the DC Show but I like the thought of being in the room with a bunch of Geeky guys. I think.
    Your gonna love it. The treo breaks "boundaries". The Chicago show was great!! Ordered by 650 last night....order #600 +/-.

IGO
    (The Nubian King)
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    I asked the question about direct reading of PDF's. The P1 rep stated that this was his main "pet peeve" issue and that we should bug Adobe for a direct-read app. I forgot to mention that Reqwireless WebViewer transcodes PDF's to HTML before returning them via its proxy servers (at least it does via my Nokia 6230b). I'll try that on my 600 later.
    Just tried this as reported in the "experiments with the new blazer" thread. Yes, WebViewer reads PDF files. The formatting is a bit compromised, but this is a huge benefit. Also noted that the notorious "page too large to be displayed" error usually demonstrated via the "My ebay" page is circumvented via WebViewer.

Todd/Indy
  15.    #115  
    I parked at a meter one block north of the westin! $20 for 2 hours. Was there longer than that of course but got by w/o a ticket!
    Okay here are some pics I took with my Treo from the Chicago roadshow. Sorry I couldn't post pics I took with my cybershot, but I couldn't find the dang usb cable for my digicam! Anyway, I'll try to post those pics later...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    My wife and I went to the morning show and both enjoyed the presentation.

It was our 1st time in Chicago, so we ended up walking around and shopping till 8 that night. Paid $24.00 for parking at the Westin. Got back to St. Louis around 1 this morning. Was up at 5 getting ready for work!

All-in-all, with all the shopping we did on Michigan Street, the 650 will end up costing me a few grand!
    LOL

Todd/Indy
    Man, Phattire...I wanted to do precisely what you did. I didn't make the trip from St. Louis because it would have been too exhausting to do by myself. I should have gotten my gf to drive. heh.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Okay here are some pics I took with my Treo from the Chicago roadshow. Sorry I couldn't post pics I took with my cybershot, but I couldn't find the dang usb cable for my digicam! Anyway, I'll try to post those pics later...
    g, when you post does pics, start a new thread.

and include these pics and your thoughts you already posted.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast