Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Do you think that by holding out for the GSM version, that several of the bugs found with the Sprint version will be corrected before the GSM is released? Maybe they will have the wi-fi drivers completed. Maybe they will expand the memory a bit. Maybe the BT will be upgraded to at least ver. 1.2.

Any possibilities the GSM will be "upgraded" a bit based on the early-adopter CDMA experiences?
    Maybe they will have the wi-fi drivers completed.
    If so, they would work for both cdma+gsm Treos afaikafaikafaik.

Maybe they will expand the memory a bit.
    Not going to happen. They are not changing the hardware specs for GSM vs CDMA Treos...

Maybe the BT will be upgraded to at least ver. 1.2.
    Nope. PalmSource lisenced BT ver 1.2 for Cobalt based devices only. The Treo 650 uses the older Garnet based platform and thus will only support ver.1.1.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    So, other than the GSM network vs. the CDMA network, there is no advantage to waiting for the GSM?

I do not travel internationally very often, and don't typically use my cell phone when I do, so the GSM advantage is lost on me there.

It seems the CDMA network is faster in real world speeds than EDGE so the GSM advantage is lost on me there.

I have never used the SIMM card, and don't see the advantage for me there, either.

The CDMA data packages seem to be less costly.

So, is there advantage for "ME" to wait for the GSM version?
    It seems the CDMA network is faster in real world speeds than EDGE so the GSM advantage is lost on me there.
    Actually, that's probably the reverse...but only slighty. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $real$ $world$ $EDGE$ $transfer$ $rates$ $are$ ~ $80$-$100$ $kbps$ $while$ $real$ $work$ $1xrtt$ $is$ ~$60$-$80$ $kbps$. $However$, $CDMA$ $carrier$ $may$ $imporove$ $this$ $via$ $update$ $codecs$ $etc$. $Sprint$ $has$ $the$ $best$ $1xrtt$ $rates$ $while$ $both$ $Tmo$ $and$ $Cingular$ $offer$ $$20$ $unlimited$ $rates$ $afaik$. $However$, $I$ $bet$ $rates$ $for$ $EDGE$ $will$ $be$ $higher$...

Finally, GSM Treos also have a much better battery life compared to CDMA Treos...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Finally, GSM Treos also have a much better battery life compared to CDMA Treos...
    Hmm, that could be a nice factor. How much better is "much better"?

Also, is it me, or does the CDMA version look slightly larger (wider) than the GSM version? A little more bulk?
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    It depends entirely on how each network is in your area. Sprint and the 2 major GSM networks in the USA, while constantly improving, do suffer from coverage issues in various parts of the USA.

Switching carriers because you like a handset is always the wrong way to go. Nothing worse than getting locked into a 1 year contract with a network that doesn't meet your specific needs. If Sprint is "better" in the areas you travel, it's worth considering switching. If GSM or Verizon is "better" in your area, it's worth waiting.

The 650 may seem like the coolest device on the planet, but it is not without its faults. Once the "new" wears off, you'll care a lot more about what network its on, and less about the device itself.
  7.    #7  
    Most of my life is spent in Atlanta, GA, Tucson, AZ, Del Mar, CA, San Diego, and Washington, D.C.

Sprint seems great in Atlanta, one of the only decent providers in Tucson, and not sure about Del Mar, San Diego, and DC.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic

If I recall correctly, the difference will be narrowed (perhaps erased?) in the 650. You are right that in the 600 there was definitely a difference.
    So, other than the GSM network vs. the CDMA network, there is no advantage to waiting for the GSM?

I do not travel internationally very often, and don't typically use my cell phone when I do, so the GSM advantage is lost on me there.

I have never used the SIMM card, and don't see the advantage for me there, either.

The CDMA data packages seem to be less costly.

actually there are advantages. GSM has longer battery life and GSM offers you more flexibility when it comes to switching carriers.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    actually there are advantages. GSM has longer battery life and GSM offers you more flexibility when it comes to switching carriers.
    How much longer batter life are we talking here?

Honestly, I don't switch carriers all that often, and if I did, I would probably be out of contract and ready to start all over anyway. And aren't there back up programs synched on your pc that can store all of your contact information to transfer to your new palm phone in the future...if you switched carriers?

I might not be a typical user in that I hardly ever switch carriers, in fact, I have had the same carrier (Sprint) for at least 6 years, mostly with the same plan that I started with in the beginning. I guess I am looking to see if there is a real need for me to switch to a GSM carrier. I have not used the data on Sprint, or any other carrier. All the data I use has always been wi-fi. I am willing to give CDMA or GSM EDGE the chance to replace my coffeeshop wifi surfing, but don't know which would be help me deal with the switch better.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    On my Treo 600, the battery life has been impressive. I usually don't run it down past 60% in one day. I only get it that far down on days I talk for over two hours and use the email and web functions alot. I doubt that they can do much to close the gap between the CDMA and GSM phone on battery, every phone I've had that was CDMA got much worse battery life than its GSM counterpart.

I do not think that there is any big advantage to waiting for the GSM verison if you think you'll be happy with the Sprint phone. The battery life on it is still good, and alot of people here have it and like it on the 600. Everyone I know personally who has Sprint seems to hate it though, and since they tend to go to the same places I do, I will avoid Sprint.
    dreaming on changes in hardware. Pick the network that works best for you and your needs.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    They didn't really change anything on the T600 when they released the GSM, so I can't imagine it would be any different for the T650.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Has anyone tested battery life with EDGE? I gotta think that the EDGE radio has to draw more power than GPRS does.
    Most of my life is spent in Atlanta, GA, Tucson, AZ, Del Mar, CA, San Diego, and Washington, D.C.

Sprint seems great in Atlanta, one of the only decent providers in Tucson, and not sure about Del Mar, San Diego, and DC.
    I don't go to DC that often but haven't had any troubles with Sprint there and haven't heard of any troubles with the exception of on the subway which to my knowledge is only covered by Verizon.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks Primate, that is very helpful information.

So Sprint seems to be fine for Atlanta, DC, AZ, and hopefully, CA.

I may as well stick with Sprint.

Whew. One major decision down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    I don't go to DC that often but haven't had any troubles with Sprint there and haven't heard of any troubles with the exception of on the subway which to my knowledge is only covered by Verizon.
    Sprint-homed Treo's will automatically digitally roam on Verizon's Metro (subway) network.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeshur
    They didn't really change anything on the T600 when they released the GSM, so I can't imagine it would be any different for the T650.
    I couldn't have put it any better.
    San Diego is the home of Qualcomm, the "inventor" of CDMA (and parent company of Kyocera) - Although I have never been, I would be willing to bet that Sprint/Verizon are the top providers in that area
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshark
    San Diego is the home of Qualcomm, the "inventor" of CDMA (and parent company of Kyocera) - Although I have never been, I would be willing to bet that Sprint/Verizon are the top providers in that area
    Just a minor point of correction: Qualcomm is NOT Kyocera's parent company. While Qualcomm did sell off their handset division to Kyoto Ceramics Concern, Ltd. (hence "Kyo-Cera") the company itself has been around for a very, very long time and manufactures office products, copiers, automotove components and of course, industrial ceramics.

But yeah, it would stand to reason that the area around Qualcomm's headquarters would be well bathed in a CDMA signal.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast