1.    #1  
    Has anyone stopped to think about a few "upgrades" of the 650 that may actually be a hinderance?

While having a removable battery has its upsides, one has to wonder what potential problems this may bring. I think that the removable battery will give the 650 a greater susceptibility to corrosion damage from liquids, and carriers and PalmOne WILL NOT cover that under warranty. Furthermore, when our batteries go out on the 600s, it's up to our providers or PalmOne to replace the unit, as long as it is under warranty. I don't know about the 650, but I know many other phones carry a one year warranty on the phone, but only a three month warranty on the battery.

Also, I'm not so keen on the changing of the charger port. I've heard arguments as to the new accessories that the change will bring about, but I also know that if I go to my local Sprint store, that a car charger for this bad boy is $49.99. I'm also pretty sure they could make any accessory for the old charger port.

The last thing I'm disappointed with is actually trivial. GSM owners get to keep their signature silver Treos, but CDMA folks like me get stuck with an awful seafoam green/blue color that reminds me of one of my Grandma's blouses. I long for the gunmetal grey.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Want some cheese with that whine?
    I don't know about the 650, but I know many other phones carry a one year warranty on the phone, but only a three month warranty on the battery.
    Well thats better than having to replace the whole phone when the battery dies! Do a search for users who have expereienced the infamous "Red X" and you'll see what I mean!

Also, I'm not so keen on the changing of the charger port. I've heard arguments as to the new accessories that the change will bring about, but I also know that if I go to my local Sprint store, that a car charger for this bad boy is $49.99. I'm also pretty sure they could make any accessory for the old charger port.
    First of all, who the heck actually buys accessories from the Sprint Store! You can find them much cheaper online. Search Dan's accessories ebay store for instance. Plus the old Treo connector is not very reliable from my experience. For example read all the horror stories of the treo being wiped out b/c of faulty Treo connector being shorted out by minisync cables etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I absolutely prefer the removable battery. The only thing they could do is to offer a spare like Samsung does on their I300s and I330s. They not only included a spare but a long life spare on the I330. The benefit is for those rare cases when you are traveling and just dont have time or an outlet to go plugging in to. As for life expectancy, at least for those previous phones they last as long if not longer than the fixed batter. I also don't think corrosion is even an issue. The other positive is (assuming you eventually get a spare) is always having one charged. The Samsung I330 had a unique cradle where it had a battery slot and the phone slot so they could be charging simultaneously.
    Eric
    Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Well thats better than having to replace the whole phone when the battery dies! Do a search for users who have expereienced the infamous "Red X" and you'll see what I mean!

First of all, who the heck actually buys accessories from the Sprint Store! You can find them much cheaper online. Search Dan's accessories ebay store for instance. Plus the old Treo connector is not very reliable from my experience. For example read all the horror stories of the treo being wiped out b/c of faulty Treo connector being shorted out by minisync cables etc...
    The connector isn't the problem, it's the generic plugs, Treo Centrals wall charger is utter garbage.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    hey gfunk, where ya been? I have missed that cheerleader's booty, um, I mean, I have missed your intelligent and thoughtful posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    The connector isn't the problem, it's the generic plugs, Treo Centrals wall charger is utter garbage.

Maybe so. I've also had horrible experiences with Boxwave's minisync cables. The connectors always seem to wear out after a couple of months. However it's hard to say if this is b/c of the Treo connector or minisync quality...probably both to a certain extent.

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    hey gfunk, where ya been? I have missed that cheerleader's booty, um, I mean, I have missed your intelligent and thoughtful posts.
    Nice to know where your head is!

gfunk:

I think you need to be more concerned about where his eyes are!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    The drawback will be the software, not the hardware. PalmOS 5.4 (as on the T5) is requiring re-writes of a lot of software, i.e. DateBk5, Agendus, Bonsai, AcidImage, etc.