1.    #1  
    If I were a new sprint user, I would be ordering my 650 through TreoCentral. Not only will you be supporting this excellent forum (where Treo-freaks like us can find solace and communion in our pathetic psychosis), but in my opinion, the Bluetooth headset that TC is offering is much better than the Jabra, and Iíve had both.

Treocentral is offering the excellent Bluetrek G2 while palm is offering what appears to be the Jabra BT200.

Here are some differences:
    G2
    Talk time: 9 hours
    Standby: 400 hours
    Weight: 12 grams

Jabra
    Talk time: 3 hours
    Standby: 100 hours
    Weight: 23 grams

Also, the G2 feels smaller in your pocket than the Jabra.

You can check out the differences in the specs yourself here:

http://www.bluetrek.com/bluetrekG2/bluetrekG2.htm

vs

http://www.jabra.com/products/FreeSp...toothSpecs.htm

Unfortunately for me, I am already with Sprint and TC can only help new Sprint customers so I ordered through PalmOne.

I sold my old Jabra headset with my previous BT phone when I moved to the 600. I bought my G2 about a month ago in preparation for the 650 (and have been using it with my BT laptop).

So if you have a choice, my recommendation is that you go with TC and the G2 for your 650.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetpro
    Treocentral is offering the excellent Bluetrek G2 while palm is offering what appears to be the Jabra BT200.

G2

Jabra

vs

Unfortunately for me, I am already with Sprint and TC can only help new Sprint customers so I ordered through PalmOne.

I sold my old Jabra headset with my previous BT phone when I moved to the 600. I bought my G2 about a month ago in preparation for the 650 (and have been using it with my BT laptop).

So if you have a choice, my recommendation is that you go with TC and the G2 for your 650.
    Though I've never used the Bluetrek G2, I have to agree with this. I have the Jabra BT200 for non-bluetooth phones and I hate it. (The BT200 for non-bluetooth phones is identical in terms of form factor, weight and function.)

I would definitely go with something that is half the weight and has an overall smaller "hook" that goes around behind your ear. The BT200 feels huge and heavy. I also found it difficult to operate, figuring out which button to press while you're wearing it -- especially difficult if you have longer hair. Beyond that, it sounded hollow and static-y, though that may have been due to the phone system I was using it on.

I will pre-order the T650 and either give the Jabra headset to my SO who will be using the T600 now (if it works on the T600) or sell it.

arielmt
    FWIW, the Jabra BT200 is going to be phased out soon, with the intro of the BT500 as a replacement. There also will be a Jabra BT800 top-of-the-line with a display and other features.
    BT250 not BT200 (8 hours talk/240 standy), that is what PalmOne is selling.
    shanta,

Where's that stated? Can you post a link? Many thanks!
  6.    #6  
    Shanta,
    The picture in the email has the coloring of the Jabra 200, not the 250. How did you find out it was a 250?
    Here is the link for the Jabra website on the BT 250.
    http://www.jabra.com/products/BT250_Bluetooth.htm

I've been using the BT250 for a while now works great and the battery life is 8 hours or longer. Its comfortable to wear, you'll actually forget you have it on.

The only downside that I've experienced with any of the BT headsets that I've owned is that the slightest wind noise outside sounds like a wind tunnel on the receiving end, not the same as you'd experience with a normal wired headset.
    haven't tested either but the G2 has omnidirectional mic while the Jabra is UNI. seems like UNI is better. I don't want the sounds of the street going to my callers. just me
    - ag47
    It is not expressly stated anywhere but the specs are of a BT250 as it is the only freespeak with 8 hours talk time and 240 hours standby. The BT200 is spec'd lower.

I did call P1 this morning to ask which one it is and they said all they have are those specs.
    The big factor for me is that, according to P1, they offer the headset to anyone buying the T650... not just new Sprint customers. As a current customer, that's definitely an incentive.
    I don't know which headset is better. Quite frankly, I'm not a fan of the whole Bluetooth headset idea in general (one more thing to have to charge as far as I'm concerned).

I'll add that I don't know where I'll be buying my Treo 650. I'll be weighing various options. If I can swing making it out to the roadshow, I'll do that. Otherwise, I may wait for Amazon's bigger discount deals.

But if you absolutely must have it soon and aren't going to the roadshow, I would recommend either buying it from TC or, at the very least, buying some accessories or supporting TC in some other financial way. This site is the best Treo site around and I personally am shocked and dissapointed that palmOne (and, previously, Handspring) haven't shown more appreciation for the efforts over the years by the TC staff.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    From this link on PalmOne's site, it looks like the Jabra BT250 to me:

http://web.palmone.com/products/Prod...equestid=50780
    It is the BT250 (8 hours talk time, what the P1 site says), not the BT200 (2 hours talk time)
    98GSR,

Didn't see the specs before, it does indeed seem like it's the BT250 w/ 8 hours of talk time. Thanks for clarifying.
    Jabra FreeSpeak BT250 datasheet. This is the one in the PalmOne Treo650 offer.
    It has to be the bt250, I dont think they would give you a bluetooth headset for a non-bluetooth phone.
  17.    #17  
    Well, you are right, it appears that the Jabra headset will be the 250. However, I still think the G2 is slightly better/smaller.

I agree, whereever you get your 650, lets get some accessories from TC to keep them in business so we can hang out here for years to come ruminate about the Treo 700. :-)
    I have the BT200 and I LOVE IT. I have people telling me that I sound better on it than I do through the phone's microphone.
    i just emailed them to ask about us current sprint customers who have been there over 18 months and have no contract committment. supposedly we are entitled to the discount also, but i suppose i might have to buy right from sprint in that case...

just got my answer - nope... brand new customers only (quick response, though)
    Last edited by aarons12; 11/09/2004 at 12:10 PM.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetpro
    If I were a new sprint user, I would be ordering my 650 through TreoCentral. Not only will you be supporting this excellent forum (where Treo-freaks like us can find solace and communion in our pathetic psychosis), but in my opinion, the Bluetooth headset that TC is offering is much better than the Jabra, and Iíve had both.

G2

Jabra

vs

Certainly sounds like I am screwed too as a current sprint customer. Is Sprint offering at least the jabra when purchasing the 650? Does best buy offer anything with it?

Eric