Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, I've been aching to order my 650 but I'd say there is good chance now that I'll be sitting this one out. I am not trying to troll or anything, for me this just doesn't seem to make sense

You see, after much (exciting) reading and research I guess I've come to conclude that while the 650 represents a significant improvement over the 600 I can't justify to myself on a 'cost-per-value-of-new-features-to-me' basis. I either need to find a way to lower the cost of the handset to me or find a way to increase the value of the new features to me.

Taking the "value of new features to me" angle first, I realize that I am dying for GPS via bluetooth. Also, I would kill to be able to use WiFi from inside my own network to control the various LANs I support, when I didn't feel the need to use Sprint's to accomplish the task (though even that would be fine if I could at least tunnel PalmVNC through SSH - but the Garnet OS appears to limit me from doing that). Next, I'd love to be able to forget about dragging along a digital camera to capture spontaneous events but even though I have heard the new camera is worlds better than the one found in the 600, I fear the resolution of the camera in the 650 will leave too much to be desired. These little things all add up to to too much to ignore in considering the upgrade.

So now I try considering lowering the cost of the handset to tweak this value proposition. This is tough because it is mostly out of my control. I took advantage of Handspring's very fair upgrade offer to move from my Treo 300 to the 600. I had wrongly assumed that Palm1 would realize the value of keeping a satisfied base of Treo-vangelists around and would offer something similar. No cigar. Then I figured that Sprint would love to keep sucking $150/mo from my coffers to keep me a loyal Sprint customer but, again, no cigar. I am suprised by both parties here. I sold many people on the 600 as did many of the people on this forum. Now I'll be silent as I won't be able to speak from experience with the 650 and I won't promote yesterday's technology (the 600). Difference to Palm1? They'll lose out on many sales opportunities because of my silence and they're probably not going to make any more on me in the future because I won't move to the 650 until it's cost-to-value is more in alignment for me -- and by that point their margin probably won't be as great. I won't get into my amazement with the carriers' weirdness here but it always cracks me up when I buy a $600 or $700 handset and I give them $150/mo, to boot, that I also have to sign something that says if I leave before my time is up I have to repay my whopping $150 rebate!!!! Hahahahahaha, give me a break!!! Oh no not the $150 to keep me from changing carriers to save way more than that on a new activation -- anything but that!! Consider letting me subscribe to the hardware -- not just service, I'd be willing to pay even more to be able to do that.

I usually wind up popping for the latest and greatest but I think I've managed (for the time being) to wait on this a bit. I qualify for a measly $150 rebate from Sprint in May. Of course by then the Treo 850 will be an enticing rumor...Bluetooth 2.0, WiFi, 5 MP camera, Cobalt OS, 1Ghz processor and some fricking RAM so I don't have to be so anal about keeping all my apps on an SD card.

Anyway, these are my opinions and they are opinions so I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings. But for me (and it is hard for me to do this) I think I'll be waiting on the 650...

Thanks for reading.

Gus
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Well said...I don't think you are being inflamatory at all. I agree with you on most of your points. However, I will probably be swayed to buy it, especially if I can get a reasonable price for my Treo 600 on ebay. Then, I will no doubt be sucked into buying the 850 or whatever it is as well, assuming they don't charge $1000 for it!
    If you have had the chance to hold one in your hands, you wouldn't give it a second thought.
    Have you ever given thoughts of perhaps reducing your monthly bill? $150 a month seems to be a lot of $$ for one person. If you can cut it to $80 a month, then you can afford to buy a new phone every year.
    Sometimes you can overanalyze things and you just have to go with your gut. I can pretty much rule out the need for any new phone, PDA or gadget if I analyze the situation. But that wouldn't be much fun, now would it?
    Crazy to spend $150/mo on wireless when T-Mo does 3000 anytime minutes plus unlimited data for $70.
  7.    #7  
    If you have had the chance to hold one in your hands, you wouldn't give it a second thought.
    I'll bet this is very true. You know I wasn't that convinced moving from the 300 to the 600 -- but my poor wife still has to use the 300. I cringe everytime I have to try and use it. The processor speed increase alone was enough for that move (besides that I *hate* clam-shell designs).

Have you ever given thoughts of perhaps reducing your monthly bill? $150 a month seems to be a lot of $$ for one person. If you can cut it to $80 a month, then you can afford to buy a new phone every year.
    My bill is for two people (and two handsets) and the plan fits nicely so I don't think I could save much there.

Well said...I don't think you are being inflamatory at all. I agree with you on most of your points. However, I will probably be swayed to buy it, especially if I can get a reasonable price for my Treo 600 on ebay. Then, I will no doubt be sucked into buying the 850 or whatever it is as well, assuming they don't charge $1000 for it!
    This is irrational of me but I have this thing about spending more on a hand-held that a laptop would cost. Funny - it makes no sense to me but I just can't see myself ever doing it. That said, I decent laptop will probably cost $700 in a year and I'll be facing this behavior...

Sometimes you can overanalyze things and you just have to go with your gut. I can pretty much rule out the need for any new phone, PDA or gadget if I analyze the situation. But that wouldn't be much fun, now would it?
    You are absolutely right on -- it isn't much fun. And I may throw caution and sense to the wind and go ahead and order anyway. I mean I might suffer from some sort of identity crisis if someone else in my town had this thing before me!!

TreoCentral -- you all are awesome.

Gus
    ON top of it is the atrocious record of dependability of the Treo 600 ( I have had 5 in 1.5 months) and calling in to ask a question about the Pre-order and being left on hold for more than 20 minutes. I can only conclude that these people DO NOT CARE.
    You have replaced your Treo 600 5 times? Is that right? How on earth - I don't question you...just unbelievable! I have had mine almost a year with not one problem. It has never dumped on me like the Samsung I330 used to do occasionally, losing everything.
    Eric
    I am in the same boat from a 'cost-per-value-of-new-features-to-me' basis. I don't ever come close to running out of battery and bluetooth isn't simply something that I use. That largely leads me with no real new "features", but lots of upgrades like processor, camera, screen (to high-res), keyboard, etc. I had figured that with the "new-features" part of the equation coming in at zero, there was no way I would upgrade.

Now there are some reviews starting to surface and it seems like all the upgrades add up to more than the sum of the parts. It seems as if everyone really loves not just the Treo 650, but all the upgrades from the software, to the keyboard, to the camera, to the screen. I haven't really come across a posting of someone who's had the Treo 650 that said, "eh, it's okay, but it's really nothing too amazing." This has made me start to re-evaluate the final cost. I have to check with Sprint, but as I have no contract, I can probably get $100 service credit for signing a year. And I can sell my old Treo on eBay for hopefully something like $275-$300. That's $400 off (yeah the service credit is fudging the numbers as I don't have to get the Treo 650 to get that), of the $600 price. Thus in my fudgy accounting system, it's really only $200 and that I can probably swing.
    I guess its easy for me to decide, for I haven't even owned a T600.
  12.    #12  
    ON top of it is the atrocious record of dependability of the Treo 600 ( I have had 5 in 1.5 months) and calling in to ask a question about the Pre-order and being left on hold for more than 20 minutes. I can only conclude that these people DO NOT CARE.
    and

You have replaced your Treo 600 5 times? Is that right? How on earth - I don't question you...just unbelievable! I have had mine almost a year with not one problem. It has never dumped on me like the Samsung I330 used to do occasionally, losing everything.
    Eric
    I am on number 7 in 12 months. I haven't broken a single one either -- I have just had about every known defect (some more than once). I am very hopeful the quality of the 650 will be much higher.
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    Why are you trolling these boards peddling the PDA2k?? Do you work for MS or are in someway affiliated with this product....do you get $$$ for referals?

What's your story, Jack?
    Nice try, but I think this person wants to stick with Sprint and I don't see what new features the Sprint version has, except for the ability to add wifi. Independant reviews (i.e. Mossberg) seems to say that it's keyboard is behind the Treo's. Looks like the screen is bigger with fewer pixels which isn't going to be nearly as sharp. It will probably look a lot like the sharpness of a Treo 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by jflynn
    Crazy to spend $150/mo on wireless when T-Mo does 3000 anytime minutes plus unlimited data for $70.

Uh, where can I get this deal?
    How much for add-a-phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Eric
    3, 4, 5, 6 times replacement is not uncommon with the Treo.

I know one person who had to have his replaced EIGHT (8) times.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasparks
    Why are you trolling these boards peddling the PDA2k?? Do you work for MS or are in someway affiliated with this product....do you get $$$ for referals?

What's your story, Jack?
    I'm an attorney, definitely not associated with MS or any other company. At first, I was in here every day, excited about the 650, almost drooling over it. Over time, when we started to get more and more bad info about it and I learned just how crappy it was going to actually be, I got upset with Palm, and began searching for an alternative that is actually worth buying. Once I discovered the pda2k I was very satisfied. This device is actually what the 650 should have been, but it didn't even come close. So now I try to help others see the light. Partly because I like to help people (I am a plaintiff's attorney, so the jokes don't work on me), and partly out of spite for Palm. I want everyone to use a device that they actually have been searching for. I am convinced that many in here are also very angry with Palm, but for some reason live in denial and will still buy that piece of crap 650. By doing so, you are all justifying Palm's lack of concern for their user's opinions and wishes in a device. Why congratulate them for a terrible job? I want everyone to get what they really want and need from their PDA, and the 650 doesn't do it. The pda2k meets all of our needs, even though it is on a PPC platform. Everything you need and want is on the pda2k, switch and you will see.

I am Ocean18, and I approve this message...
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

- Bart Simpson
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Nice try, but I think this person wants to stick with Sprint and I don't see what new features the Sprint version has, except for the ability to add wifi. Independant reviews (i.e. Mossberg) seems to say that it's keyboard is behind the Treo's. Looks like the screen is bigger with fewer pixels which isn't going to be nearly as sharp. It will probably look a lot like the sharpness of a Treo 600.
    WiFi, screen size, landscape view - big improvements for the same price...

- Bart Simpson
    WiFi, screen size, landscape view - big improvements for the same price...

Not to mention the memory 128mb
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast