Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I wonder if the "size" difference has a lot to do with the size of your hands. If you have larger hands then the 6601 might feel better to you, and smaller hands might prefer the more curvy, rounded T650. All about comfort, matching your hand size.
    I am excited about the treo650. The 600 has been fantastic and hope the treo650 will be better.
    Why? Faster, much better rresolution, able to get GPS with bluetooth, the camera is slightly better. That is more than enough for me.
    I sold another tre600 in ebay for $280 and hope to sell this one for a similar price.
    Sure MS mighte be easyer ... but what does that helps if it crashes more often and the bt headset option is not the best too.
    I'm MS OS on my desktop to ... if i have to sync my palm or do office stuff like word etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by spacehog
    sorry farzon but have you checked out the club imate boards recently? its nothing short of spectacular the amount of complaints and quality control issues that have been popping up with the pda2k. bluetooth is actually a small concern which will be addressed very soon, but stuff like dropped calls, wifi/gprs conflicts, slider mechanism leaving permanent scratches on the bottom part of the imate, reception issues... the list goes on. i work for a company that gives me the chance to use all imate and all palm products. i have personal experience with the ENTIRE lineup of both companies, and can safely say carrierdevices and palmone are running at parallels in terms of quality control and reliability. not the best, but still.

if anything, palmone can be excused to a certain extent for their lemons cause their assembly lines (at HTC) handle somewhere in the vicinity of 50k manufactured devices a day! HTC only makes about 5-10k a day of the imate devices if you discount the older imate2.

and finally, long history of quality?? the comany's been in existence for 3 years man, what are you talking about?

I appreciate your feedback. Considering your experience with working at a company that supports many handhelds not just one. Basically, your feedback ranks higher for me because you have more experience than most.

Questions for you: Don't you think you are being a little biased about the complaints on clubimate? Looking on the clubimate board makes me laugh really. There are MAYBE a handful of people with real problems, but the rest are big-time whiners compared to what we are used to. <--- that's exactly my point though. Things that we are used to being as something we have to deal with, these guys complain to all ends about. Wanna know why? Its because the people overseas are used to getting better support. Where is Palm1's support board? i-mate (while infrequent) has support people who respond to questions on their board. In addition, 8-12 hours a day you can click on "live support" and get live help for your i-mate. Then lets add that they have released a ROM update in less than a month of releasing this device. Palm1 came out with 1 ROM update only after 8 months!! of releasing the Treo600.

Anyway, the guy with the slider problem, yeah.. but that could of been anything. Could of dropped it, could be because of shipping, could be a random error on the assembly line... who knows. 98% of the other people are whining about Bluetooth (a known issue, and a patch is coming withen a week or so). The others are people who don't know how to configure their i-mates IMO.

In the usa we have the benefit of only having a handful of carriers. So its easy to have our phones pre-set for the cell carrier and internet etc. i-mate is an international device which comes with nothing preset because there are literally 100's of carriers out there.

As far as the company only being around for 3 years. That's fine by me (if its true). In those 3 years they have had extremely well built products. I can't say that for the Treo line AT ALL. I had my Treo270 replaced 3 times, and my Treo600 replaced 7 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarface83
    Sure MS mighte be easyer ... but what does that helps if it crashes more often and the bt headset option is not the best too.
    I'm MS OS on my desktop to ... if i have to sync my palm or do office stuff like word etc.
    Not sure why you would think that PPC crashes more often. In my experience it doesnt. As a matter of fact I feel its more fluid of an OS, maybe partly because it is multitasking.

I hated when my treo tried to connect to the internet that it would stop whatever I was doing and make me wait until it connected. This was usually pretty fast, but at least once per day I would have to wait at least 1-2 mins for it to finish connecting to the internet. Sometimes I couldn't afford to wait and just soft reset my Treo just so I could use my phone again.

On PPC this never happends, you can really multi-task. There are other areas like this, but you get the general idea.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    I seriously doubt if two people were standing a few feet away from one another and one was holding a 650 to his ear and the other a pda2k, spectators would gasp and laugh at the pda2k and not even notice the 650 because of its "much smaller footprint." That is ridiculous, we all know it.
    Don't be speaking for ALL of us. Speak for yourself, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Don't be speaking for ALL of us. Speak for yourself, please.
    Apologies. I thought this was certainly ridiculous for the masses, but if you disagree, then, well, you're in the minority. To each his own.
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
    Quote Originally Posted by scarface83
    Unfortuantely, the idea that MS devices crash more often than Palm devices is a bit of an urban legend. I've owned Pocket PC phones (Samsung i700, XDA II, iPaq 6315 and MDA III) and Palm phones (Samsung I700, Kyo 6035, Kyo 7135 and Treo 600). MS phones have had no more problems than any of the Palm phones I've had. MS devices do require a little more maintenance due to their more complex file system and Palm's simpler flat file system, but MS has been no less stable. The truth is, a converge device will have more problems than a regular phone whether it be Palm or MS. And as Palm becomes more "MS-like" with Palm v6 and beyond, expect more complexity and more problems with Palm.

Also, the quality of the hardware is a major factor. The Treo was more stable than the PDA2K but the PDA2K was more stable than the Kyo 7135. Sometimes OS doesn't mean much. Its all in the hardware and third party applications than can make or break a PDA phone.
    DaleReek:

I wonder if you can give us a perspective on the HP 6315 vs the pda2k.

Can anyone compare the HP6315 to the PPC6600/6601? That would be useful, too.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    Apologies. I thought this was certainly ridiculous for the masses, but if you disagree, then, well, you're in the minority. To each his own.
    Thanks, no apology needed. I do agree with you on one thing: with the keyboard closed, the PDA2K is essentially the same size as the Treo. So if that's how you're using it as a phone, you have nothing to be concerned about.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    DaleReek:

I wonder if you can give us a perspective on the HP 6315 vs the pda2k.

Can anyone compare the HP6315 to the PPC6600/6601? That would be useful, too.
    Well, the biggest difference between the 6315 and PDA2K (the 6600/6601 is just a PDA2K without the WiFi) is capability. The PDA2K is much more capable. Widows Mobile 2003 vs Windows Mobile 2003 SE, 64MB memory vs 128MB memory, 200MHZ processor vs 400MHZ, a huge antenna vs no visible antenna and (IMO) a more washed out screen vs a much brighter one.

However, the PDA2K seemed buggier (though they both had their share). For instance, the 6315 had problems with the bluetooth, static-ky phone sound and trouble regaining a lost GSM signal (it seemed to try and re-connect forever). The PDA2K was a better phone and had better sound quality. But the bluetooth also had probelms, the backlight seemed to cause problems with locking up and Activesync dropped enough to be annoying. Also, unlike the 6315, the PDA2K did not have the option to hear standard sounds through the bluetooth headset, just for calls. On the 6315, I liked to listen to audio books through the bluetooth headset.

It was a tough call, but I eventually sold both of them and went for a dual combination. An iPaq 4700 (gorgeous VGA screen, 624MHZ processor and CF slot) and a Motorola V710 on Verizon. The best of both worlds in my opinion. I wait for the day that a VGA Phone Edition device comes out.

Of course, I may be putting aside the V710 for the Treo 650 I'm still knocking that idea around.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    3, 4, 5, 6 times replacement is not uncommon with the Treo.

I know one person who had to have his replaced EIGHT (8) times.
    HAHA so is that how PalmOne just recently reached the 1 million unit sales milestone??

http://blog.treonauts.com/2004/11/exclusive_treo_.html
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    I appreciate your feedback. Considering your experience with working at a company that supports many handhelds not just one. Basically, your feedback ranks higher for me because you have more experience than most.

Questions for you: Don't you think you are being a little biased about the complaints on clubimate? Looking on the clubimate board makes me laugh really. There are MAYBE a handful of people with real problems, but the rest are big-time whiners compared to what we are used to. <--- that's exactly my point though. Things that we are used to being as something we have to deal with, these guys complain to all ends about. Wanna know why? Its because the people overseas are used to getting better support. Where is Palm1's support board? i-mate (while infrequent) has support people who respond to questions on their board. In addition, 8-12 hours a day you can click on "live support" and get live help for your i-mate. Then lets add that they have released a ROM update in less than a month of releasing this device. Palm1 came out with 1 ROM update only after 8 months!! of releasing the Treo600.

Anyway, the guy with the slider problem, yeah.. but that could of been anything. Could of dropped it, could be because of shipping, could be a random error on the assembly line... who knows. 98% of the other people are whining about Bluetooth (a known issue, and a patch is coming withen a week or so). The others are people who don't know how to configure their i-mates IMO.

In the usa we have the benefit of only having a handful of carriers. So its easy to have our phones pre-set for the cell carrier and internet etc. i-mate is an international device which comes with nothing preset because there are literally 100's of carriers out there.

As far as the company only being around for 3 years. That's fine by me (if its true). In those 3 years they have had extremely well built products. I can't say that for the Treo line AT ALL. I had my Treo270 replaced 3 times, and my Treo600 replaced 7 times.
    well, try looking at it this way. club imate is to imate users what treo central is to treo users. bigger scale of course, but thats cause there are a lot more treo users around than imate users. i wouldnt dismiss the allegations "some" people have on club imate cause as the product gets more and more popular, the same issues will start creeping up here and there in correlation to its propagation across the continents.

for the live support thing, again, you cant compare carrier d's market share to palmone. if palmone were to offer live support to every single user as carrier devices does (incidentally, youll be lucky if you actually get a live person on the other line as most of the time its either busy or the service is shutdown for the day), it would pretty much wipe out whatever margins they make selling overseas (this is already quite limited, with the duties, fcc approvals and such..)

carrier devices is a middle east based company, who's single biggest market is, you guessed it, the middle-east. so obviously service and support is easily accessible to those who live there. but for those who buy the imate from expansys, for example, will either have to deal with expansys directly or have the device shipped to dubai (which can prove costly). i simply dont think carrier devices can maintain this level of service once theyve outgrown their local market and branch out into the US and europe (which will be coming about shortly).

as for the extremely well built devices, i would disagree. talk to imate 2 and smartphones 1 and 2 owners. those pdas all started off with terrible, near atrocious quality control levels, and levelled out over time as the assembly process became more efficient. and again, keep in mind there is an issue of scale. of course there will be less lemons in a production line of 20k vs. one of 500k. doesnt necessarily mean the percentage of lemons is different between the two scenarios...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123