Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jasparks
    Why are you trolling these boards peddling the PDA2k?? Do you work for MS or are in someway affiliated with this product....do you get $$$ for referals?

What's your story, Jack?
    Maybe he is just like some of us that is so happy with the move away from a long line of faulty and reliable hardware... and move to something that is solid. i-mate has a long history of quality.

The company I work for sells GoodLink. GoodLink's primary device of choice is the Treo600. Every customer I have has had a horrible time with the Treo600's reliability. The number one failure is the "BUZZING" phone problem everyone knows about. Even with the problems though, the Treo600 was the best device around. The problems were just something we HAD to deal with.

I have personally replaced my Treo600 7 times in the past year, my wife 6 times. One of my workmates got his Treo600 last May and has replaced his 3 times. See the pattern? Before the Treo600 I was using the Treo270 for 8 months. My wife and I combined replaced our Treo 270's 5 times.

Anyway, I am hoping the Treo650 is a reliable product. Please please please Palm1. Are you hearing us?
    sorry farzon but have you checked out the club imate boards recently? its nothing short of spectacular the amount of complaints and quality control issues that have been popping up with the pda2k. bluetooth is actually a small concern which will be addressed very soon, but stuff like dropped calls, wifi/gprs conflicts, slider mechanism leaving permanent scratches on the bottom part of the imate, reception issues... the list goes on. i work for a company that gives me the chance to use all imate and all palm products. i have personal experience with the ENTIRE lineup of both companies, and can safely say carrierdevices and palmone are running at parallels in terms of quality control and reliability. not the best, but still.

if anything, palmone can be excused to a certain extent for their lemons cause their assembly lines (at HTC) handle somewhere in the vicinity of 50k manufactured devices a day! HTC only makes about 5-10k a day of the imate devices if you discount the older imate2.

and finally, long history of quality?? the comany's been in existence for 3 years man, what are you talking about?
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Gus, have you explored using a regular VPN client to satisfy your secure connectivity requirements? I use Mergic's VPN, DDH Software's Mobile Terminal Services, and Mochasoft's terminal emulator (for AS/400 access) just fine from my T600. I'm assuming all will still work on the T650.
    - Fushigi
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jflynn
    Crazy to spend $150/mo on wireless when T-Mo does 3000 anytime minutes plus unlimited data for $70.
    Anyone seen T-Mobile's coverage area? You'll be saying a lot of "can you hear me now"'s You get what you pay for.
    I certainly have no plans of having my 650 replaced more than once or twice. If it turns out like the 600 problems you all are describing I'll ask for a refund. Regardless of whether I receive it, I won't be using a fourth Treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    WiFi, screen size, landscape view - big improvements for the same price...
    I didn't think the Sprint version comes with wifi. This thread is about a customer who doesn't want to leave Sprint. Please confirm it does come with wifi. I'm sure I could add wifi at added cost, but that will be possible (at least in theory) with the Treo 650.

As for screen size, it's bigger, but it has less resolution, meaning that it's going to look like a Treo 600 in quality. The Treo 650 is smaller I'll give you, but with more pixels it's going to be the sharpest screen on the market. Landscape view is related to the screen dimension argument. It's not a relevant feature on the Treo's because the screen is square. In other words, would you consider landscape view a big improvement on the Treo 650? Of course not.
    I think you have to throw out all the quality control issues of the Treo 600 out the door. It's being manufactured by a new company that makes many of the competitors.

Personally, I don't see the big deal with the quality control issues. I did have to replace mine a couple of times due to the network search errors, but after the third time or so, I got a brand new phone each time. That means no nicks or anything like that. Essentially when I sell my phone on ebay it will be 5 months old instead of a year plus.

I understand that other people had bigger issues that stopped them from using their phone or made them make a 30+ mile trek to the nearest carrier store or what-not. I'm just giving my own account, which will vary from yours.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The CDMA version of the PDA2K does not come with wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I didn't think the Sprint version comes with wifi. This thread is about a customer who doesn't want to leave Sprint. Please confirm it does come with wifi. I'm sure I could add wifi at added cost, but that will be possible (at least in theory) with the Treo 650.

As for screen size, it's bigger, but it has less resolution, meaning that it's going to look like a Treo 600 in quality. The Treo 650 is smaller I'll give you, but with more pixels it's going to be the sharpest screen on the market. Landscape view is related to the screen dimension argument. It's not a relevant feature on the Treo's because the screen is square. In other words, would you consider landscape view a big improvement on the Treo 650? Of course not.
    no the ppc6600 doesn't have wifi. Watch out on the 650, the 600 was sold as supporting third party wifi solutions. . . which it doesn't.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    As for screen size, it's bigger, but it has less resolution, meaning that it's going to look like a Treo 600 in quality.
    That's really not true. The 600 did not have as many colors and 160x160 is a lot less sharp than 320x240 on the ppc.
    The Treo 650 is smaller I'll give you, but with more pixels it's going to be the sharpest screen on the market.
    I agree, but a lot smaller screen size.
    Ocean18:

All good points (in favor of the PDA2K), but for some of us size is the breaking point. The Treo 650 (600?) is THE LARGEST converged device I'm willing to carry and use. In fact, what the world needs is a Samsung i500 with 400mhz processor, SDIO, and hi res screen in SAME EXACT FORM FACTOR, not even the "fatter" i550. That said, the PDA2K, despite far superior feature set, just won't cut it. And yes, I've seen the comparison picture with the T600 on top of the PDA2K - it's just too big for most our tastes (I never got over the laughs I got when I'd put the Treo 300 up to my ear).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Ocean18:

All good points (in favor of the PDA2K), but for some of us size is the breaking point. The Treo 650 (600?) is THE LARGEST converged device I'm willing to carry and use. In fact, what the world needs is a Samsung i500 with 400mhz processor, SDIO, and hi res screen in SAME EXACT FORM FACTOR, not even the "fatter" i550. That said, the PDA2K, despite far superior feature set, just won't cut it. And yes, I've seen the comparison picture with the T600 on top of the PDA2K - it's just too big for most our tastes (I never got over the laughs I got when I'd put the Treo 300 up to my ear).
    That actually may not be as big a deal anymore now that bluetooth is making an appearance. You don't need to hold either brick up to your ear to talk on them. Esecially now that headsets like jabra's bt800 are comming with caller id and call rejection ability on the headset itself.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Ocean18:

I just don't get the size issue - MILLIMETERS, at best! The much larger screen size more than makes up for it, but that's me. Regardless, I really do not believe that when you hold a Treo 300 to your ear the room breaks out in laughter. That must be an exaggeration. I used to have the Samsung i700, large PPC phone, and I held to my ear many, many times, in public, without a single giggle. Quite the opposite, actually. I got many interested questions about it, which allowed me to demonstrate some of its abilities, which I enjoy doing. I actually like using a device that most others have never seen or heard of - it's kind of empowering, I guess. It makes me feel like I am on the cutting edge. Geeky, I guess, but I don't care. I like the latest in technology, and as long as it evolves I will insist on having the very latest, which, at this point, is certainly the pda2k. So when mine arrives I will proudly hold it to my ear for phone conversations. BTW, I have seen many an individual hold a Treo 600 to their ear in the past, and I was able to spot it a mile away. It is not a small device. Keep in mind that most phones out there that are not PDA types are very small, in comparison. Anything other than a Motorola flip or small Nokia will draw the attention as a large "brick" being held to your ear. I seriously doubt if two people were standing a few feet away from one another and one was holding a 650 to his ear and the other a pda2k, spectators would gasp and laugh at the pda2k and not even notice the 650 because of its "much smaller footprint." That is ridiculous, we all know it.
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
    farzon - reply to my pm's on hofo please...
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

- Bart Simpson
    I dont think MDA3 / XDA3 / PDA2k or what ever you wanna call it is better ... well may be it has more memory but dont forget it's running MS OS and i think most of the people buying treo are buying it because of palm os.
    A friend of mine has a MDA 3 from t-mobile germany and he had it replaced 5 times in not 1 m and he says its still bugy.
    Using MS is sooo much easier - I don't know what you guys are complaining about.

To check your batter life just go to: Start - Programs - Microsoft accessories - Microsoft system - Microsoft devices - Microsoft power things - Microsoft sub folders and files - Microsoft things that start with the letter B - Microsoft battery and power - Microsoft powerup functions manager - Microsoft amps and volts - Microsoft percentages left - and Voila! you are there. Just don't do this too often because going through this process may use 2% of your battery each time you do it.

If this is too many steps you can buy a program licensed by Microsoft that tells you how much battery is left for $40.

NOTE: This is an exaggeration.
    I've owned both the PDA2K and the Treo 600. While its true that the size difference isn't that much in terms of stats, there is a definite difference in how the size difference "feels". The Treo seems smaller than it really is when compared to the PDA2K, its just hard to explain.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    I've owned both the PDA2K and the Treo 600. While its true that the size difference isn't that much in terms of stats, there is a definite difference in how the size difference "feels". The Treo seems smaller than it really is when compared to the PDA2K, its just hard to explain.
    Now this statement I can actually appreciate. I definitely understand what you are saying, I just get frustrated when others cite the fact that the size is a huge difference, when it is not. I agree that the 600/650 feels smaller, as it is more conforming to the dhape of your hand, I guess. But it is still millimeters in actual size.

- Bart Simpson
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsnpixels
    Using MS is sooo much easier - I don't know what you guys are complaining about.

To check your batter life just go to: Start - Programs - Microsoft accessories - Microsoft system - Microsoft devices - Microsoft power things - Microsoft sub folders and files - Microsoft things that start with the letter B - Microsoft battery and power - Microsoft powerup functions manager - Microsoft amps and volts - Microsoft percentages left - and Voila! you are there. Just don't do this too often because going through this process may use 2% of your battery each time you do it.

If this is too many steps you can buy a program licensed by Microsoft that tells you how much battery is left for $40.

NOTE: This is an exaggeration.
    Funny, but a bit true, I admit. There are some things I wish were a little easier to navigate, but that's what add-ons are for. BTW, there's several for under $10...

- Bart Simpson
    It most likely has to do with the fact that the body of the T600/650 is a lot shorter, but the antenna makes it just as tall. Just... feels different when you have it up to your ear or in your pocket.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast