Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I agree, Goodlink is a much better choice to both blackberry and to ActiveSync.

Goodlink is its own server so there a lot of great things you can do with it. For example, I can force my users to password protect their device. Then, in the case that they loose it, I can erase it remotely.

We have both goodlink and blackberry server running at my company. Goodlink is so much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by daf999999
    Has anybody tried loading existing GoodLink software on the 650? What happened? My office uses GL and 600's and I'd love to start using my 650 as soon as it arrives (hopefully today)
    Thanks
    So has anyone gotten v 3.7 to work with the 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by joshkerr
    I agree, Goodlink is a much better choice to both blackberry and to ActiveSync.

Goodlink is its own server so there a lot of great things you can do with it. For example, I can force my users to password protect their device. Then, in the case that they loose it, I can erase it remotely.

We have both goodlink and blackberry server running at my company. Goodlink is so much better.
    How much does it cost for a Goodlink Server then? My wife and I are total geeks and this would only be for our own family use. If it's cheap enough, I may be able to justify it.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Can anyone confirm that activesync exchange(wireless) will sync contacts? Also, anyone have any detailed server side configuration details on the "push" set up? We are about to configure our exchange server to allow the activesync wirelessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    How much does it cost for a Goodlink Server then?
    $330 per user per year is what they're charging us, a small company, with a five-user minimum license, so $1650 per year min. Server software is included in that.

Quote Originally Posted by ttoppins
    Can anyone confirm that activesync exchange(wireless) will sync contacts? Also, anyone have any detailed server side configuration details on the "push" set up? We are about to configure our exchange server to allow the activesync wirelessly.
    Yes, it will. In Exchange 2003, it is enabled in system manager, global settings, mobile services, properties, click the boxes. In Active Directory Users and Computers, you can enable/disable access for individual users on the Exchange Features tab. I don't know how it works in 2000, I think you have to have Mobile Information Server or something else added on.
    Last edited by ntaylor; 11/19/2004 at 09:00 PM.
    [QUOTE=techjunkie]How much does it cost for a Goodlink Server then? QUOTE]
    $230 per year for a large company.
    Guess Goodlink is out of our equation. :P
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Here is a link to a Hi Res add for GoodLink from their website.

GoodLink Video
    After having a Blackberry, I don't think I could go back to the 'pull' email, which is what it sounds like ActiveSync is. Is GL the only push option? I'm kinda intrigued by GL and all the features. Can someone who uses GL answer a question - does the price for the GL service include all the data services? If i pay the yearly fee, do I also need a data service through Sprint/Att/T-Mo?
    Quote Originally Posted by wadeemmert
    After having a Blackberry, I don't think I could go back to the 'pull' email, which is what it sounds like ActiveSync is. Is GL the only push option? I'm kinda intrigued by GL and all the features. Can someone who uses GL answer a question - does the price for the GL service include all the data services? If i pay the yearly fee, do I also need a data service through Sprint/Att/T-Mo?
    Yes, you still need to pay for data service. The price for GoodLink only covers the fee for the GoodLink software (server and client). In my company we have 8 Blackberry users and 5 GoodLink users. Everytime happens faster for the GoodLink users plus they have full Calendar and Contact sync.
    What about the redirector solution? Where does it redirect the email to? Does it redirect to an email address setup for the Treo and then automatically notify you of a new email? Or does the Treo still have to poll every so often to learn of the new email? With my Blackberry, I use the Webclient. My Outlook as a server side rule which redirects certain email to the Blackberry email address set up by T-Mo (***@tmo.blackberry.net). The email is then pushed to the BB. Is that how it is for the Treo using a redirector? Thanks for any answers.
    I'm not sure exactly how the treo synchronizes with outlook. Good provides servers which push the content to your Treo. There is also a server app that runs in your office on a box near your Exchange server. I think your local good server sends updated content to the Good server running at Good and then the content is sent via SMS (I'm guessing) to your Treo. When the good app on your treo receives the SMS message, it processes it.

Then, when you go to send content or update a calendar entry, your Treo sends an SMS message to the Good server running at Good. Then it sends that data to your local goodlink server which puts it into exchange.

This is just a guess on how it works.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    UPDATE -- Good.com has the new client software on website as of today. Installed it on 650 and it appears to be working fine
    GOOD RULES!

A single user can use it... you just need to use a hosted exchange solutionn like "utopiasystems.com" (Thats who I use)

Then you pay the single user license fee for Good, and use utopia's exchange hosting and good server.

hope that this help for you small buisness types who dont own an exchange server.

I can tell you, once you go exchange... you'll NEVER go back
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    3.8 has been great for the week I have been using it...short of the standard Good shortcomings.
    weebit, how much did the solution cost. the goodlink license and utopiasystems? sounds like a great solution
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeBitObsessed
    GOOD RULES!

A single user can use it... you just need to use a hosted exchange solutionn like "utopiasystems.com" (Thats who I use)

Then you pay the single user license fee for Good, and use utopia's exchange hosting and good server.

hope that this help for you small buisness types who dont own an exchange server.

I can tell you, once you go exchange... you'll NEVER go back
    WeeBit,

Would you mind elaborating. I just visited the Exchange Server website but I am still not getting it. How about a few bullet points? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalvor
    3.8 has been great for the week I have been using it...short of the standard Good shortcomings.
    We're in the middle of a 30-day risk-free GoodLink trial.

I'm curious what you find to be the the standard Good shortcomings?

My quick list:
    * I can mark sub-folders to be automatically synced up, but it doesn't catch existing messages; only new ones. So it didn't fit in to my workflow of having a folder for every trip I take usually containing my AA intinery, my Avis itinerary, and my Hampton Inn itinerary -- I have to create the folder, let it sync, move the messages in to it. Sort of a bother.
    * Poor SMS integration on Treo 650 (SMSs from people in Contacts do not "resolve" to their name)
    * Hard to get around the app; not geared for the 5-way, not enough option+LETTER shortcuts
    * "Push"-based email is nice, but perhaps it fetches TOO often; it seems a third of my phone calls go straight to voicemail now. It seems a batch approach like ActiveSync AUTD does would be smarter. [Q: Does GSM have this problem, when you use data calls go to VM for the next 30 seconds or so?]

That's all I can think of at the moment, however I know there are more where I've said "if only they'd spend 15 minutes on this... But as a whole, the pros FAR outweight the cons. Now if only I could get Versamail to SHUT THE F#$* UP and quit telling me automatic sync failed (seeing as I've never even run it, since the last hard reset).

Long live Good.

-jd
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I don't understand all the fuss between Goodlink and Chatter:

Chatter costs $25/license (one time) and if you pay $20/year with Fastmail (www.fastmail.fm) you get a hosted email account that connects to the Treo/Chatter through IMAP. So you can only sync online 8 folders - and I would also bet that the pushes with Chatter are faster than Good - I know that they are faster than BB!

I currently utilize my corporate email account (we run Exchange 2000) and personal email (fastmail) accounts through Chatter. I sync 4 folders (inbox/outbox for each email account) and best of all, I can file emails to any of the sub-folders on the server, whether or not they are sync'd (up to 125 per account). All of these actions happen real-time. Sometimes my emails will be rec'd in Chatter b4 hitting Outlook!

So let's compare--->

Good: $1600 per year annual 5 user license, extra computer required to run software (cannot be the server), quasi-push technology utilizing sms triggers, ok-syncs all components of outlook vs.

Chatter: $25 one-time license fee per user, no software is required to be installed on any computer, real-time email pushes (i swear, quicker than BB), online syncing of 8 folders, works with exchange or any other IMAP email client....

Unless you're IBM, why in the world would you choose Good over Chatter?
    Quote Originally Posted by doogles
    We're in the middle of a 30-day risk-free GoodLink trial.

I'm curious what you find to be the the standard Good shortcomings?

My quick list:
    * I can mark sub-folders to be automatically synced up, but it doesn't catch existing messages; only new ones. So it didn't fit in to my workflow of having a folder for every trip I take usually containing my AA intinery, my Avis itinerary, and my Hampton Inn itinerary -- I have to create the folder, let it sync, move the messages in to it. Sort of a bother.
    * Poor SMS integration on Treo 650 (SMSs from people in Contacts do not "resolve" to their name)
    * Hard to get around the app; not geared for the 5-way, not enough option+LETTER shortcuts
    * "Push"-based email is nice, but perhaps it fetches TOO often; it seems a third of my phone calls go straight to voicemail now. It seems a batch approach like ActiveSync AUTD does would be smarter. [Q: Does GSM have this problem, when you use data calls go to VM for the next 30 seconds or so?]

That's all I can think of at the moment, however I know there are more where I've said "if only they'd spend 15 minutes on this... But as a whole, the pros FAR outweight the cons. Now if only I could get Versamail to SHUT THE F#$* UP and quit telling me automatic sync failed (seeing as I've never even run it, since the last hard reset).

Long live Good.

-jd
    You can sync old email from any exiting sub-folder using the DEBUG command.

There are many many one button shortcuts. You do not have to use the Option button.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast