Page 99 of 133 FirstFirst ... 4989949596979899100101102103104109 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 2657
    Finally, someone older than me
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Windowns 3.1? 14.4 kbps modem? You were lucky! I just had an 8088 processer running DOS, with a 9600 baud modem. I spurged and got an amber colored monitor instead of the green monitor. It seemed like magic when I could download something directly onto my computer.
    My first computer was a Apple IIE... but the first PC was a 286 16 Mhz, with 512 kb RAM, 40 MB HD, DOS, and a 2400 baud modem.. I then ungrade to the 14.4 which was lightning fast, and then a 28.8 (cost me $300), That was back when a 1 gb HD was $1000...... Ahhh the good old days...

Now the Treo 650 is like 300 times as powerful..... (just to stay on topic)....
    Quote Originally Posted by eugarps
    Hey, I still use my HP 200LX with a 14.4 kbps pcmcia modem and it's running DOS 5.0! The WAY down side is I couldn't hook it up to my Treo 600.
    And what are you using it for?! Wordperfect?
    I have a question! I ordered a T650 from VC and used a credit card. I just realized that I recently cancelled a couple credit cards due to high interest rates and I'm afraid the one I used to order my Treo may be one of them. Is there a fast way for me to contact them to check my billing?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    And what are you using it for?! Wordperfect?
    Actually I can run Word 3.0 for DOS on it! IMO, the HP 200LX is still the reigning champ of PDA's. Unfortunately, it's just not very connectable to anything very modern and cannot support Bluetooth. Therefore, I just use it for speadsheets (Lotus 123) and various vertical market software for my civil engineering work.

If someone knows of a BT card with a DOS 5.0 driver, I'll be back using it every day to connect to my Treo.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    I just visited my local Cingular store (in the Chicago-land area) and spoke with a twenty-something young sales rep. He said he had just checked the computer and his inventory for what they were expecting for shipments and he said that nothing was in the computer or in the inventory list for the Treo 650 GSM. He said that now the expected date is mid-February and that they pushed it back. Granted this may not be the 'end all' to the release. Perhaps PalmOne will release it directly? I don't know. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, trust me I want the Treo 650 GSM as bad as the next guy, just thought I would post this and see what everyone thinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiralEx
    I just visited my local Cingular store (in the Chicago-land area) and spoke with a twenty-something young sales rep. He said he had just checked the computer and his inventory for what they were expecting for shipments and he said that nothing was in the computer or in the inventory list for the Treo 650 GSM. He said that now the expected date is mid-February and that they pushed it back. Granted this may not be the 'end all' to the release. Perhaps PalmOne will release it directly? I don't know. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, trust me I want the Treo 650 GSM as bad as the next guy, just thought I would post this and see what everyone thinks.
    The only release information that has been posted as somewhat 'reliable' is from B2B and that is that they will have it for Cingular Thursday, and with overnight shipping ($15) you can have it by Friday... They have said from the begining that they have no idea when stores will recieve them. Other managers have said that the treo 600 stock must be gone before the store carry it. Just my take on the informatino that has been given to me..
    SpiralEx,

We haven't been talking about getting this phone from Cingular stores in this thread. Ours are "hot right out of the oven." Welcome to the bleeding edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiralEx
    I could not have said it better. Had it not been for the dismantling of the Apple Newton project, Palm (later PalmOne) would have never been born. Former Apple employees founded Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Put simply I will say because Apple product quality and design are second to almost none. .
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Put simply I will say because Apple product quality and design are second to almost none.

Guess you haven't heard the horror stories of the PowerBooks G4 keyboard problems.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...P9.2@.689bc46e

http://www.appleorlemon.com
    Okay while we continue to wait (for the Treo 650, thus staying on topic), I will demonstrate my age:

My first computer was an Apple II Plus with 48K. I had a 300 baud modem. I was 30 something at the time . . . .

So that I could do dBASE II programing, my company bought me a Z80 card, a 16K memory card, an 80 column card, and a second floppy disk drive. I performed the “shift key modification” so that I could get upper and lower case! It ran CP/M 2.2 which was a predecessor to DOS. (long story there, BTW)
    Last edited by Treo650Doug; 01/25/2005 at 01:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    I could not have said it better. Had it not been for the dismantling of the Apple Newton project, Palm (later PalmOne) would have never been born. Former Apple employees founded Palm.
    Bring back the Newton! I would love to see an Apple branded Palm type device. That would be awesome, but I'm relatively sure it's not going to happen.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    So I tried to search this gargantuan thread but couldn't find an answer: I'm not familiar with GSM but if I where to buy a gsm phone, does that mean I could use it pretty much anywhere worldwide? Are all gsm phones the same and do they all accept these "SIM" card thingies or are there different types of sim cards etc? Finally, how do I go about finding a service provider when I travel to another country? Thanks all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozzer
    So I tried to search this gargantuan thread but couldn't find an answer: I'm not familiar with GSM but if I where to buy a gsm phone, does that mean I could use it pretty much anywhere worldwide? Are all gsm phones the same and do they all accept these "SIM" card thingies or are there different types of sim cards etc? Finally, how do I go about finding a service provider when I travel to another country? Thanks all.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question537.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Hey, I ordered one also. I was wondering how long you thought we were going to have to wait for VC to ship. I am tempted to buy one if PalmOne sells them on their site and sell the one I eventually get from VC. Any thoughts?
    Well, yes, My thoughts are that my third party vendor is about to to ring the necks of both VC and P1. They will release together within 4 days is my prediction. I also go with my previous assumption that the VC units are sitting in boxes, waiting for charge confirmation and labels and they will be out the door.
    My Atari 800 is all I really need. I still have the printer for it, too!
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Thanks, but that page doesn't really answer any of the questions I had...
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I have a question! I ordered a T650 from VC and used a credit card. I just realized that I recently cancelled a couple credit cards due to high interest rates and I'm afraid the one I used to order my Treo may be one of them. Is there a fast way for me to contact them to check my billing?

Thanks
    Other people have reported that they will send you an email saying that your card unable to be charged, was there another way for you to pay.

I would contact them prior to avoid delay, shipping is going to be a hectic time and you wouldn't want them to put you in a stack of "issues".
    Can we revitalize the discussion on data plans? cglaguna and 100thMonkey: give me the break-down again. I'm sorry to ask, but I think a strategy is order. Some guy started a new thread and says he has a GSM today. Let's find out what data plan he has and see if he will let us probe.

Spoke with B2B on the AT&T side of Cingular and everthing is still a go for tomorrow. The data plan is the pits. 39.99 for 3 megs and 49.99 for unlimited. "I Will Wait For The GSM Model. Who's With These Prices?" Perfect if I do VoIP was possible, but it is not. I will look closely at PalmOne tomorrow for unbranded/unlocked phone at retail price.
    Last edited by specimen38; 01/25/2005 at 01:28 PM.
    You've got to be kidding me. $49.99 for unlimited data?????? $20 on T-Mobile and $15 on Sprint. Unbelieveable if true!

Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Can we revitalize the discussion on data plans? cglaguna and 100thMonkey: give me the break-down again. I'm sorry to asking, but I think a strategy is order. Some guy started a new thread and says he has a GSM today. Let's find out what data plan he has and see if he will let us probe.

Spoke with B2B on the AT&T side of Cingular and everthing is still a go for tomorrow. The data plan is the pits. 39.99 for 3 megs and 49.99 for unlimited. "I Will Wait For The GSM Model. Who's With These Prices?" Perfect if I do VoIP was possible, but it is not. I will look closely at PalmOne tomorrow for unbranded/unlocked phone at retail price.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680