Page 95 of 133 FirstFirst ... 458590919293949596979899100105 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 2657
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney
    Much better.....
    I was presently surprised that MetroPCS was so good in my area. I really did not expect much from it, but the proof is in the pudding. Of course I need ATT/Cingular, but I use it to buffet minutes on my contract plan. Most of my calls are local and if I wanted nationwide I could just add $5.00. But I can call nationwide on my ATT plan.

I am very aware of UMTS here. I called ATT and discussed it with their data division. It covers an area north from the City of Richmond (near Berkeley) south to San Jose. I checked into for a PCMCIA card for my laptop. I have not had the priviledge of getting my hands on a device that uses that network. I have however used a laptop with EDGE and it sold me the new Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    spec.38 - you make Metro PCS sound very good. I find it had to believe that they are the best in SF, but you are the one with experience there, so who am I to say they aren't. Just curious, since you are the area, have you ever checked out the ATT UMTS there? I am curious what kind of speeds they can get one data and what the voice is like.
    Last edited by specimen38; 01/24/2005 at 12:21 PM.
    First of all, why do you assume I'm angry? I was just reponding to what was said to me on a point by point basis. Can you hear my voice? Did you check my blood pressure? Are you my psychiatrist?

In any case you are absolutely 1,000,000,000% correct in your comments about that type of service. I agree without question. You made my point in 1 sentence. If he stated it as you did, that plans like that had a place in the market (like for Grandmas who never leave town) I'd never even have replied because he'd have been absolutely correct as you are. He insists on comparing them to a major carrier and how it is such a great deal when in reality it isn't.

If I misunderstood HIS POINT about who those plans are marketed towards then I stand corrected and apologize.

Actually (as for your grandma's situation), thinking about it, she'd still be better off with a Cingular Prepay plan. Get her a phone for $99 and get her 80 minutes of calling (25c/minute) for $20 which is good for 90 days. If she autorefills every 90 days by credit card it would only cost her $80/year vs. $420 for MetroPCS (assuming she's lucky enough to live in one of the 4 areas they serve around the country). PLUS what would she do if she visited a friend out of town or went on vacation to DisneyWorld with her gin rummy group? With a prepay she could STILL make calls to and from anywhere in the country. Since she would "hardly ever use the phone" 80 minutes over 90 days should be more then enough. This would be a much cheaper solution for her. No? That's what we did for my 93 year old mother-in-law. At least she can use the phone (if she could only figure out how to answer a call ) while she's up here in NJ from Sun City AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    MisterEd,
    Chill Out, it's just a phone plan. . .
    Why all the anger?

I'd have to agree with Spec, that simple low cost phone plans do have a place in the market, it's just not YOUR market.

These types of plans are for folks who use there phones for emergencies and a few calls a month.

My grandmother is a perfect example, she hardly EVER uses her phone, but takes it with her when she leaves the house. This kind of plan is PERFECT for her. She can use it when she needs to and never feels like she's "on the clock".

She doesn't need voicemail, data, SMS, etc. She just needs to make a few calls a month away from the house and if she has car trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by webtoker
    I am thinking about setting up a quicky mailing list for people to report where they found the treo 650 gsm. At least till they seem to be easy to get a hold of. This way come Wednesday, if someone calls b2b and is able to order it, they can email the list. What do you guys think?

please!

shall we just PM you the email addresses?

thx!
    I think it's much easier to post here since we all seem to check in quite often and would post here anyway.
    I am thinking about setting up a quicky mailing list for people to report where they found the treo 650 gsm. At least till they seem to be easy to get a hold of. This way come Wednesday, if someone calls b2b and is able to order it, they can email the list. What do you guys think?
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Cingular does not insure Smartphones.

True
    Cingular doesn't insure anything...they actually sub it out to Lockline who insures phones.

False
    Lockline replaced my treo600 for the $50 deductible.

how it worked
    I called Lockline and explained that when I picked up the insurance a while back that they had indicated that the Treo600 WAS insured. All of their literature indicated that it was, as well as a phone call I made to their hotline w/ a CSR saying the same. So, when I called them back one day, they have this recording that specifically mentions the treo600 NOT being insured. So, I proceeded to ask for all of my monthly fees back as they never notified me of the change in terms...

Well, really wanting to keep customers happy and a great reputation (at least from my perspective) they said, we'll replace the phone one time and cancel your policy, how's that sound... GOOD!

so, their general policy is: No replacing Treo's, but if you have at least a decent case, make it, and maybe they'll help ya out... MAYBE...
    bawhahahah!

I called palmone's 800 # and it has a special AUTOMATED message to tell you that they have NO information on the GSM version Musta been inundated
    I think it's much easier to post here since we all seem to check in quite often and would post here anyway.
    I PM'd 'em so that @ least we can share info not everything makes this thread first...

lurkers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner
    bawhahahah!

I called palmone's 800 # and it has a special AUTOMATED message to tell you that they have NO information on the GSM version Musta been inundated
    That has been there for at least the last month... As far back as I started calling....
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    look back a few pages, someone already listed discount pricing for one of the Cingular sides...
    I thought the AT&T pricing was different than the Cingular pricing?
    I was just able to sign up for cingular's media works for 19.99 a month. Hopefully I can just pop out my sim and put it in the treo 650. Does anyone think this is going to work with the edge network speeds? I figured I should sign up for this feature before I buy the treo 650, cause I heard that this service was going to be more if you put this on the 650. Does anyone know if this is going to work?
    Webtoker,

Not sure if you set up the mailing list, yet, but I think it's a great idea. If not, I would suggest using Yahoo Groups or Google Groups

Should we PM our email addys to you?

Thanks!
    While I'm not against setting up a mailing list for updates, (very nice to offer,) I do hope we all continue posting updates here, as I'm sure we're helping a lot more people than we realize. That's right lurkers I'm talking about you.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by koolio
    Webtoker,

Not sure if you set up the mailing list, yet, but I think it's a great idea. If not, I would suggest using Yahoo Groups or Google Groups

Should we PM our email addys to you?

Thanks!

I will use my mail server. You can get added by emailing the following address.

treo650-subscribe@webtoker.com
    Last edited by webtoker; 01/24/2005 at 11:08 AM.
    I decided to call one of the local Cingular agents in the Chicagoland area and probably got the most unusual response yet. She said that Cingular was originally planning to launch the 650 this month but decided to postpone the 650 until the end of this year! She said there was an exclusivity agreement between Sprint and Treo on the 650 so Cingular would have to wait until the agreement is up at the end of 2005. Rest assured, I called the next closest dealer and he said that it's still planned for this week. Suddenly, I'm reminded of the game we all played as kids where we would whisper a sentence to the person next until it got to the last person and the sentence went from "Billy goes to school" to "Tommy just got arrested for stealing donuts at the local Krispy Kreme".
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney
    MisterEd,

1) Hyperbole, rationale shifting, red herring.....now you come on! Read your own stuff.

2) There are no walk in store "no contract" plans from Cingular unless you've been on a contract a year. You can not prove that! If there was a cost effective plan with "no contract" from Cingular, we would all be on it. (510) 985-8440 Beside I checked....

3) You are re-stating conclusions I had already drawn in my first post about MetroPCS. I have already told you MetroPCS wasn't a full blown company and that it was emerging. It's a revolution that is spreading. It's very popular here. Eventually, it will be everywhere.

4) You spent time getting certain facts, but not all the facts. I dont believe that you think a 0.25 cents/minutes is a cool plan.

5) I don't believe for one minute that you thought the discussion was silly or that you were bored. I think you said that because you want to feel less exposed, so as to convey, a quasi dis-interests and unwillingness to address the issue in front of our peers. You were very lengthy "off topic." That was a dead give away. You have marginalized your feelings and it comes out in your writing.

6) If you were thinking Private Messaging -- you should have PM'd rather than waited until the end of your post, to get the last word in, then attempt to project the appearance of taking the "moral high road to protect the thread from off topic dialogue."

7) Let's agree to disagree and move on. No harm, no foul. We are both looking forward to the Treo 650 release. That's what we are both excited about.

Gimme a break. Please. This discussion is silly (and off-topic). The cost is FAR from the issue, but even that is no bargain. I wasn't even going to respond, but I'm bored. The comparison between this local yokel service and a true nationwide service is totally ridiculous.

Yes, Cing has a no contract plan. Walk into a store, tell them you have a GSM phone that works on Cingular, tell them you want to buy a Sim on a monthly plan (not prepaid) .... no contract. Of course they don't advertise it and you have to find a rep who wants to sell it . Verizon has it as well. Sure, you don't get free bonuses but you do get nationwide service. You can buy GSM phones for $10-$30 off eBay. I just bought 3 (refurb) LG 4020 phones for $10 each from AT&T and had them unlocked for $10 each. Forget pre-pay, but they do have a 25c/minute plan without the $1 fee. You can use PrePay with ANY GSM phone from anywhere in the USA. Can you do that on Metro for $35 so-called ""UNLIMITED""?

You asked me: Who On This Board Talks Under 250 minutes a month? Aside from the fact there are a lot more people who use cell phones then those on this board, probably more people then you might think (in fact 3 of the 4 people in my family (who only pay $10/month on my shared plan) use less then 60 minutes. 4 of us share 1100 minutes for a total cost of $90 (that's $22.50 each and we can call to and from virtually anywhere in the US and if we call each other it's FREE). 4x$35=$140 on MPCS. Sure, everyone doesn't need 4 lines but even with 2 people on a shared plan it comes out equal. ($70 for 2 Cing or Verizon shared lines and $70 for 2 separate MPCS lines). LOTS of families have more then 1 line.

Now I ask YOU: Who needs to leave their "local calling area" and be able to make a phone call? I'd venture to say, everyone. Who needs voicemail? I'd say everyone. Who needs free long distance calling? I'd say everyone. Who needs text messaging? I'd say quite a few. NONE of this is included in your so-called "$35 unlimited" plan.

And FINALLY (thank G-d), you say: Show me the money! Eventually it will all be like MetroPCS

My answer: Heaven forbid.

If you wish to take this any further, we should do it via PM.
    Last edited by specimen38; 01/24/2005 at 01:13 PM.
    If it does come out Wednesday, where will you all buy it from? Many seem to be proponents of using AT&T via Amazon. I am not a business person, so I don't have that option.