Page 92 of 133 FirstFirst ... 42828788899091929394959697102 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 2657
    edited out b/c I'm confusing people. sry.
    Last edited by Tanner; 01/23/2005 at 08:27 PM. Reason: edited out b/c I'm confusing people. sry.
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Is that a good thing?

... , I was referring to your long posts.
    Simm D.. man
    I think you will shorten them once you have the 650. This damn wait is affecting people in strange ways.
    Only 4 more days.

guess what guys...and gals.

on the phone w/ cingular today over a billing problem...finally got to a "level 2 CSR"

she was able to pull up the Treo 650
    tell me the price for a 2yr committment ($449)
    One year contract ($499)
    and no contract...(couldn't hear...but probably $599)

said can I sign up for that now...

please hold I'm transfering you to telesales

GAME OVER! IDIOTVILLE! Their official answer in tELEidIOTS!

we're not getting that 'til this summer I laughed and thanked her for her help wow...clueless would be a far out goal for them to reach someday
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner
    maybe this was mentioned in the 3 pages I have not read yet in the past cople hours...but if it was, it's certainly worth mentioning again so people don't forget...

Speaking to a CSR in a Cingular store (not an agent, the realdeal - as if it matters - he also told me they weren't getting a treo 650)

He said that he's keeping his 32K SIM b/c Cingular told him it's a new way to lock down the useage of a SIM card to a specific phone.

If this is so totally wrong, then I'd be glad to edit this post and help everyone NOT flip out but I knew that it @ least warranted a post for youall to check it out...
    I believe you.
    P1 website is still busy selling that Atkins crap.I don't see any signs of GSM 650 coming soon or may be coming soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    That's interesting you say that. Things may have recently changed with that. I've been carrying 2 phones (a Blue Nok 6620 and an Orange LG 4015) for the last month just to test and see if I want to migrate. Coverage has been excellent and virtually identical on both because the Orange phone is said to be using AT&T's towers now. I live in Union County and travel in NYC for work (mid-town) and the signal strength has been the same (I spend a lot of time in various buildings as well). Had you been on Orange recently (since Sept/Oct)? However I'm sticking with Blue based on what I have been reading about the edge lockout from the MW plan (I'm using the AT&T mMode unlimited plan currently on the 6620 until VC ships the 650).
    MisterEd,
    I am not sure what SIM you have ( Cingular or ATT) but while in NYC, do you get EDGE speed while browsing with your 6620 on Blue ?
    What about on Orange ?
    Thanks in advance !
    1900mhz CDMA (it says so on the website). The $35 is a bit misleading. They nickel and dime you to death for all the extras you'd normally get for free. My father had them (he lives in Ft lauderdale FL which they serve). His $35 bills cost him close to $60 before he was done. He switched to a 1000 minute plan from Cing. for $39. I guess if you use 1million minutes froom your house or the local shopping mall to someone within their local calling area it's good but their local coverage area is so small that once you leave it it gets VERY expensive, but if you never leave your town it's a good deal. THIS MAP (BLUE PART) SHOWS THEIR LOCAL FL COVERAGE and THIS MAP SHOWS THEIR "TOLL FREE" CALLING AREA If you CALL to anyone out of that area you pay LD charges. I'd rather have an AT&T"prepay" phone then Metro because it's just like a regular plan w/no roaming.

Sounds promising on the surface. I wonder what technology they are using, do you know?
    TOTALLY wrong.

A 64K sim card will do NOTHING for you (unless your phone is ENS compatible and THAT has nothing to do with locking down your phone).

He was probably trying to say (and didn't have a clue): "A 64K sim card removes the NETWORK SELECTION OPTION from your phone."

That prevents you from MANUALLY selecting (for example) ATT(blue) signal if your Cingular (orange) signal is weaker from the NETWORK menu of your phone.

Many of these "reps" are dangerous (with some exceptions I'm sure ) in that their knowledge is so limited they don't have a clue as to what they are talking about and people ASSume they are correct and get the wrong information then pass it around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner
    He said that he's keeping his 32K SIM b/c Cingular told him it's a new way to lock down the useage of a SIM card to a specific phone.

If this is so totally wrong, then I'd be glad to edit this post and help everyone NOT flip out but I knew that it @ least warranted a post for youall to check it out...
    Last edited by MisterEd; 01/23/2005 at 07:46 AM.
    I have a AT&T 6620 w/ATT sim with unlimited mMode and YES, I get edge speeds in NYC and anywhere else that I am in the area.

My Orange phone/SIM/plan doesn't have any data plans so I can't try. It is a test phone for coverage comparison purposes only (and coverage has been virtually identical).

Quote Originally Posted by brightcell
    MisterEd,
    I am not sure what SIM you have ( Cingular or ATT) but while in NYC, do you get EDGE speed while browsing with your 6620 on Blue ?
    What about on Orange ?
    Thanks in advance !
    I'm 99.99999999% sure he already has one (GSM) ..... He has pretty much said so a number of times. This was a hint as to his position: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=717
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    ... , I was referring to your long posts.
    Simm D.. man
    I think you will shorten them once you have the 650. This damn wait is affecting people in strange ways.
    Only 4 more days.
    Actually they don't nickel and dime you to death. It more like penny and nickel you to death. Sprint and Cingular nickel, dime and quarter you to death, especially Sprint. I have a Metropcs on one phone and it is truly for me $35/mo + tax. No contract. The "no contract" thing is awesome and eventually we will all succomb. The networks are honesty better than ATT networks in the SF Bay.

From Oakland to New York, I would rather take Jet Blue over United. Not because of the price. But because of the quality and experience while flying. In the SF Bay Area, it's MetroPCS, MetroPCS, MetroPCS....over ATT. I have never dropped a call on this network....period.

When making my purchase decision, I put that $39/mo Cingular plan in a spreadsheet and costed it out against MetroPCS, Verizon and Sprint. Cingular was the highest per minute. MetroPCS is great for local call area and evetually we will all adapt this. It's speading. I am sure Cingular will one day offer this price structure. It's why United Airlines had to create TED.

1900mhz CDMA (it says so on the website). The $35 is a bit misleading. They nickel and dime you to death for all the extras you'd normally get for free. My father had them (he lives in Ft lauderdale FL which they serve). His $35 bills cost him close to $60 before he was done. He switched to a 1000 minute plan from Cing. for $39. I guess if you use 1million minutes froom your house or the local shopping mall to someone within their local calling area it's good but their local coverage area is so small that once you leave it it gets VERY expensive, but if you never leave your town it's a good deal. THIS MAP (BLUE PART) SHOWS THEIR LOCAL FL COVERAGE and THIS MAP SHOWS THEIR "TOLL FREE" CALLING AREA If you CALL to anyone out of that area you pay LD charges. I'd rather have an AT&T"prepay" phone then Metro because it's just like a regular plan w/no roaming.
    JetBlue is NATIONAL ..... Metro is LOCAL. I don't want to fly (or talk) in a 250 mile radius. If you contain your talk area to their very limited local coverage you're fine. It also seems that isn't your only phone. I'd much rather pay $39.99/month for 1000 minutes and get full nationwide coverage, SMS, voicemail, call fowarding etc. You don't have to take a contract if you supply your own phone. Just walk into a Cing store and buy a SIM. BTW, sice they are CDMA they are probably using Sprint or Verizon's netowrks anyway.

How long do you think "TED" will last before it puts UAL into bankruptcy. They are all trying the same thing - it's killing them. They can't complete with JetBlue. No one can.

Edit (and OT): did you know JetBlue reservations people ALL work out of their homes via remote PC connection to their data center ? There is no call center.

Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Actually they don't nickel and dime you to death. It more like penny and nickel you to death. Sprint and Cingular nickel, dime and quarter you to death, especially Sprint. I have a Metropcs on one phone and it is truly for me $35/mo + tax. No contract. The "no contract" thing is awesome and eventually we will all succomb. The networks are honesty better than ATT networks in the SF Bay.

From Oakland to New York, I would rather take Jet Blue over United. Not because of the price. But because of the quality and experience while flying. In the SF Bay Area, it's MetroPCS, MetroPCS, MetroPCS....over ATT. I have never dropped a call on this network....period.

When making my purchase decision, I put that $39/mo Cingular plan in a spreadsheet and costed it out against MetroPCS, Verizon and Sprint. Cingular was the highest per minute. MetroPCS is great for local call area and evetually we will all adapt this. It's speading. I am sure Cingular will one day offer this price structure. It's why United Airlines had to create TED.
    Last edited by MisterEd; 01/23/2005 at 09:01 AM.
    month and a free QUOTE=MisterEd]Yes, you are a Cing customer but you can still buy ATT plans from Amazon (these are actual ATT and not Cingular plans) as well as from the B2B number. I was just offered 4 lines, (as a new customer) on the ATT minute plans using an ATT 650 when available and an ATT SIM. The rep even suggested I go on "the Blue side" (his words) because the plans are better, You can't do it in a store or online but you can do it through B2B by phone. They are most definately still selling AT&T service. Yes, the bill will say Cingular but it's still an ATT SIM & plan (Free 7PM off peak and free INcoming SMS & MMS).

What do you mean "If you are a formet ATT client, and still have the SIM, a new 650 will only be using those ATT sites?" That's not so. AT&T has been using Cing towers since last August in many parts of the country with an ATT SIM. This started even before the merger was official.[/QUOTE]

I just called ATT business, and got 1020 minutes for 39.99 month and a free nokia 6820. Better deals at ATT
    BTW, sice they are CDMA they are probably using Sprint or Verizon's netowrks anyway.
    I thought he same thing, but on the web site it did mention they own spectrum in the PCS - C band. That makes me think it is their network. Not neccessarily true though, somone else could be using thier spectrum and then they are putting customers on that network. Who knows?

spec.38 - you make Metro PCS sound very good. I find it had to believe that they are the best in SF, but you are the one with experience there, so who am I to say they aren't. Just curious, since you are in the area, have you ever checked out the ATT UMTS there? I am curious what kind of speeds they can get one data and what the voice is like.
    I'm 99.99999999% sure he already has one (GSM) ..... He has pretty much said so a number of times. This was a hint as to his position: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=717
    WOW!!
    I had no clue.
    All right helpermonkey help us out . Your latest treo model(we do not know which one it is) is worth buying ?
    Tell us about simple things such as battery life etc.
    Sounds promising on the surface. I wonder what technology they are using, do you know? Do they have roaming partners etc so you can make calls outside their small networks? IS the network quality and service good? If all was equal, it would be a great deal for the customer. I would imagine that they are at a disadvantage spectrum wise (don't know if they have 10Mhz or 30Mhz licenses). Also with a company like that, I would think if they started to be a threat a bigger carrier would just buy them or adopt a competitive plan to put them out of business - that's how Microsoft does it (disclamer I hate Microsoft). I wonder if you are right about it being the future. You probably are though. Next question is how far into the future? My guess would be after more network consolidations take place, how would all these carriers servive with a system like that?, and also after all voice traffic is packetized and goes VoIP. the VoIP part should be fairly soon anyway...
    I must be missing something. MetroPCS' $45- price does not include nationwide roaming which I get from Cingular for $40-. Admittedly my Cingular plan may be limited to as few as 600 minutes but that is more minutes than I have ever used. MetroPCS gives unlimited nationwide minutes but only for calls that originate in their home area. The comparison is no roaming and unlimited nationwide calling against nationwide roaming with a possible surcharge on the marginal minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I must be missing something. MetroPCS' $45- price does not include nationwide roaming which I get from Cingular for $40-. Admittedly my Cingular plan may be limited to as few as 600 minutes but that is more minutes than I have ever used. MetroPCS gives unlimited nationwide minutes but only for calls that originate in their home area. The comparison is no roaming and unlimited nationwide calling against nationwide roaming with a possible surcharge on the marginal minutes.
    I think you have it right... for someone who does not use the phone over thier alloted minutes, it does not seem to offer any advantage on that front. I think specimen38 likes the no contract part best though (what's not to like about that?). What about phon prices? Most wnat cheaper phones with a contract than more expensive without - I rrealize many on this formu do not fit the "most" catagory though.
    Originally Posted by specimen38

From Oakland to New York, I would rather take Jet Blue over United. Not because of the price. But because of the quality and experience while flying. In the SF Bay Area, it's MetroPCS, MetroPCS, MetroPCS....over ATT "I have never dropped a call on this network....period"

That last Line alone Would Be a deal maker for Me!! If only I could get that from Cingular. My wife has a phone on a "local" network and it has great service for about a Hundred miles around us, Unfortunatly they are stuck in the old TDMA/analog world and the treo wont function on there system. That and I need Nationwide Coverage for work....
    I have a AT&T 6620 w/ATT sim with unlimited mMode and YES, I get edge speeds in NYC and anywhere else that I am in the area.

My Orange phone/SIM/plan doesn't have any data plans so I can't try. It is a test phone for coverage comparison purposes only (and coverage has been virtually identical).
    Thanks for the info MisterED.
    I tried a 6620 with a Cingular SIM once and was not getting EDGE speeds.
    Hopefully, Cingular will be using ATT Data network ASAP.

Speaking of MetroPCS, I never heard of this company until I visited a friend in SF. I was wondering if it was using GSM or CDMA technology so I checked her phone, opened it to see if it had a SIM card.
    Surprise !!
    It seemed to be a GSM phone (place for a SIM card) but there was no actual SIM in it.... that was weird.
    Is it possible to "transform" a GSM phone into CDMA ?
    Quote Originally Posted by brightcell
    It seemed to be a GSM phone (place for a SIM card) but there was no actual SIM in it.... that was weird.
    Is it possible to "transform" a GSM phone into CDMA ?
    I would think that if that could be done, there would be no CDMA phones. Imagine a CDMA/PCS SIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I would think that if that could be done, there would be no CDMA phones. Imagine a CDMA/PCS SIM.
    No kidding.
    That was weird though... I should have taken a pic.