Page 9 of 133 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959109 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    i think gsm users will be happy when utms is fully rolled out
    UMTS is already partially rolled out in many key markets, including the one that P1s HQ resides in.

happy i'll be when P1 engineers & senior management FINALLY pull their heads out of their butts and realize that *right at this very moment* they could be using their Treos at 300 kbps for only $25/mos for unlimited UMTS.
    Off to iPhone land...
    100 percent correct. all of the cdma/gsm handsets that i have seen so far have been for vodapfone and verizon customers. so the frequencies for gsm for north america will not becovered very well in these current handsets
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    [QUOTE=ghileman]UMTDon't get me started...QUOTE]

Man, I know how you suffer
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    Gotta be careful, some of the those dual mode GSM/CDMA handsets that you see support GSM 900/1800 and CDMA2000 on 850/1900, thereby allows Verizon and Sprint subscribers to access GSm networks in other countries while still remaining on the native CDMA2k network domestically. Big difference there in WCDMA and CDMA2k. Gotta watch out for that my man
    If you look at the Samsung GSM/CDMA handset it supports CDMA at 800 and 1900 mhz for USA coverage and GSM 900 (part of Europe) and GSM 1800 (Asia). What is missing is GSM at 850 and 1900 mhz needed for use in the USA and parts of Europe.

This means the phone will not work on TMobile (mostly 1900 mhz) and Cingular (850 mhz)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartphone Fan
    If you look at the Samsung GSM/CDMA handset it supports CDMA at 800 and 1900 mhz for USA coverage and GSM 900 (part of Europe) and GSM 1800 (Asia). What is missing is GSM at 850 and 1900 mhz needed for use in the USA and parts of Europe.

This means the phone will not work on TMobile (mostly 1900 mhz) and Cingular (850 mhz)...
    Agreed. It is clear that this phone is intended to operate only CDMA in the US while giving its owner access to GSM in the rest of the world. Its significance is that it demonstrates that it is easier to converge phones than services or networks.
    In a nutshell, the upside for GSM is better for the future.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I have really been experiencing some "inner turmoil" over this whole issue.

Last week I was determined to do the switch to Sprint after 5 long years w/ AT&T. The truth, at the time, was Sprint's internet/SMS plans were so much cheaper than AT&T's. So, yeah, I was going to switch, based on the fact that I would save roughly $40 a month—getting the 650 was just an added bonus.

Well Cingular just opened up in my market yesterday, so I decided to take a trip to the store and take a gander at their rate plans. To my surprise, they had unlimited internet and SMS (1500 messages) for $20.00 which is exactly what I would be paying Sprint for the same services! I was faced with a dilemma.

I broke it down: The truth is, in my humble opinion, Cingular is going somewhere. They have already started implementing true 3G technologies in major cities, they are now the largest cellular company in North America, and their coverage is at least on par with Verizon's. None of these things I could say about Sprint.

I think I can wait a month or two for a new "toy", and now I can use my old toy without paying an extra $40 a month.

FYI: The account migration was quite painless from AT&T to Cingular and I was able to keep my corporate discount; took them only about 15 min or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    FYI: The account migration was quite painless from AT&T to Cingular and I was able to keep my corporate discount; took them only about 15 min or so.
    I would hope so since they are now the same company...
    SpiVeyx

No more inner turmoil. I think the Treo 650 is a much more enhanced device for the GSM user. It's worth the wait. We'll get: 1) EDGE technology which is slightly faster than CDMA, 2) Quad Band, 3) More GSM towers because of ATT/Cingular merger, 4) Higher re-sale on phone since it can be used in Europe, and many more things that you started to enumerate, 5) ability to receive a phone call while browsing the web.

Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    I have really been experiencing some "inner turmoil" over this whole issue.

Last week I was determined to do the switch to Sprint after 5 long years w/ AT&T. The truth, at the time, was Sprint's internet/SMS plans were so much cheaper than AT&T's. So, yeah, I was going to switch, based on the fact that I would save roughly $40 a month—getting the 650 was just an added bonus.

Well Cingular just opened up in my market yesterday, so I decided to take a trip to the store and take a gander at their rate plans. To my surprise, they had unlimited internet and SMS (1500 messages) for $20.00 which is exactly what I would be paying Sprint for the same services! I was faced with a dilemma.

I broke it down: The truth is, in my humble opinion, Cingular is going somewhere. They have already started implementing true 3G technologies in major cities, they are now the largest cellular company in North America, and their coverage is at least on par with Verizon's. None of these things I could say about Sprint.

I think I can wait a month or two for a new "toy", and now I can use my old toy without paying an extra $40 a month.

Last edited by specimen38; 11/17/2004 at 06:45 PM.
    I'm waiting for the GSM! Yesterday I ordered my discounted GSM Treo 650 after attending the PalmOne roadshow in NYC! Can't wait to get...& part from my T600.
    Stay strong! My experiences -w- Sprint's customer service people (our corporate service is with them - at least until the contract can be rebid) have been scary-bad. Cingular has not always been/is not perfect, but the Cingular contracts I deal with have been much less hassle than with Sprint.
    Cal Stuart
    argh!!!
    i can't wait for the gsm version people!!!
    I gotta stick with GSM, it's the only way I can get one unlocked and brought into Canada eh?
  15.    #175  
    I know.. all these Sprint threads are killing me.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    yeah, but poor voice qulality on CDMA kills me more
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    palmOne, show me my treo 650 GSM PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

right....and everyday am close into becoming a post-***** cause palmOne doesn't have their treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    I know.. all these Sprint threads are killing me.
    TechJunk,

You started this GSM THREAD. Don't you go soft on me....man. When we get our GSM Treo's, CDMA-ers will be jealous.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlstang
    I'm waiting for the GSM! Yesterday I ordered my discounted GSM Treo 650 after attending the PalmOne roadshow in NYC! Can't wait to get...& part from my T600.
    how much did u pay?
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
  20.    #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    TechJunk,
    You started this GSM THREAD. Don't you go soft on me....man. When we get our GSM Treo's, CDMA-ers will be jealous.
    Temptation to get a CDMA version is getting harder and harder to resist. I need a little bit more GSM support, guys. I need to see a glimpse of light at the end of this long *** GSM tunnel.

Any GSM rumors? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Cingular? AT&T? Can you hear me now? Help!!!
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)