Page 89 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3979848586878889909192939499 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 2657
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Hmm, I can not tell, is that internet sarcasm?

If it is not clear to anyone I am saying it would be wack to use data on your 650 on GPRS. What's the point? Too slow.

T-Mobile has a lot of work to do to launch EDGE nation wide, so I don't know how long that will be. I would guess about 9 months or so to deploy nation wide if they wanted to. Who knows when they will start. Do we know that they will? I have read both that they will and that they will wait for 3G.

Oh no..
    My bad. I got it wrong.
    I thought, T- Mo will have HSPDA and UMTS.
    I do n't see EDGE coming to T-mo.They are thinking of creating more hotspots than concentrating on getting faster wifi everywhere.
    That's good & hip for young teenagers ,not for people like us.
    But with growing competition and mergers they may have to rethink it.
    At the same time according to discussion at CES
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodworth
    When?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Answering for almost everyone on this board

YES
    Oh no..
    My bad. I got it wrong.
    I thought, T- Mo will have HSPDA and UMTS.
    My understanding is that that is true. But way out.

I do n't see EDGE coming to T-mo.They are thinking of creating more hotspots than concentrating on getting faster wifi everywhere.
    That's good & hip for young teenagers ,not for people like us.
    But with growing competition and mergers they may have to rethink it.
    Late 2005. Their hotspot strategy is not to the exclusion of their cell strategy.
    flip phones have 3 advantages. flip acts as screen protector, opening the flip answers the phone, and flip prevents accidental key presses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    The FAA has already announced plans to remove the ban on cell phones in flight within 2 years. Nytimes had article about it, and CNN mentioned it. FAA has also already recieved 1200 written complaints by people who say flights are the last sanctuary of not having to listen to loud people on their phones. (Personally I don't want to talk, I just want to play games, watch movies, etc. Some stewardesses don't recognize "flight mode" and allow that.)

In Europe Virgin Atlantic already allows cell phone use. I don't know what show you were watching, but I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a single incident conclusively linked to interference from phones. (Maybe a phone was suspected because they didn't know what else it was.)

No you are absolutely correct, there is no proven link at all. I think it is just like the notice at the gas station about not using your phone when pumping gas. They would rather be safe than sorry. Cell phones causing explosions at the gas pump sounds pretty crazy to me. I am not saying it couldn't happen under some freak conditions, but I'm not worrying about it.

One the other hand, I don't know how a cell phone is going to work at altitude. The hight is not the problem, a GSM site can handle a call at about 20 miles with no real problems (longer than that and you get into timing advance problems). My concern would be the speed and the fact that the antenna is not pointing up - is not intended to cover the skies. Also yes, I would also want to punch someone yelling on their phone in the cabin with me. It is hard enough dealing with out of control kids on the plane as it is...
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddyof3
    I called the cingular number and told them I had signal issues. After troubleshooting, they asked what kind of sim card I had. Then they told me to go to any Cingular store (but make sure it is a real Cingular store or they will charge) and get it switched out. They said the programming in the old 32k sim cards likes to hold onto cell towers, so if you were driving away from a particular cell tower and another one approaches, the old card still liked to hang on to the weaker one. They added that additional programming in the 64k card allows for the phone to pick out the tower with the strongest signal.

Anyhow, they flagged my number to get a 64k sim card, so when I walked into the store, they looked up my number, and swapped it out, no questions asked. Hope that helps!
    I keep reading this info about the 64K SIM online. Unless I am completely missinformed, and I would like to think of myself as being much better informed on such matters than a sales person or a cust. service rep., the information above it completely FALSE.

Daddyof3 I am not saying it's your fault... sounds like bad info was given to you.

The SIM is not an inteligent device. It can not tell the phone how to hand off or camp or anything like that. The network does that. The SIM can tell the phone what network is it's home network and what networks are the prefered networks (and in what rank). My understanding is, other than additional memory for the user, that the 64K SIM allows for the SIM to be reprogrammed over the air in a way(s) that was (were) not previously possible. For example if you are Cingular now, but have a BLUE SIM from ATT, then they would not be able to change the home network to Cingular via over the air programing. I can see some people thinking "good, Cingular's coverage sucks here I want to stay on ATT". True, but there is currently no reason to switch you anyway, so they wouldn't need to. On the other hand if they start cutting those blue sites over to the cingular network as the two networks integrate... do you still want to be on a network that is going away? At that point I am guessing you would say "no". That is just one possible scenario, don't think it is the way it is going to happen in your particular area or jump to any conclusions like that (although netowrk integration is going to happen no doubts about that). I am just trying to point out what I know to be the purpose of the new 64K SIM. It doesn not give you better coverage or service or anything like that.

Anyone else have information besides what I have stated?
    One the other hand, I don't know how a cell phone is going to work at altitude.
    The plan is to have a small cell on the plane that talks to a satellite. The advantage is that the phones will register on that cell and will not keep polling.
    does anyone know if att has the 64k simm card. Or is it only for cingular.
    As far as I know only Cingular will have it. And ATT is dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Currently there are no palm voip clients.
    I think that there is one for the Tungsten C
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    As far as I know only Cingular will have it. And ATT is dead.

What do you mean ATT is dead. ATT is getting the treo 650 as well as other new phones being released.
    I know they are merging. But cingular wont let me migrate my corporate business account since they have not worked out a contract as of yet. So I am forced to stay with att. Thank God, Att is getting the t650 on their side too. One benefit is ATT's rate plans are much cheaper. I just want to be able to take advantage of cingulars towers with the t650
    Quote Originally Posted by khart214
    I know they are merging. But cingular wont let me migrate my corporate business account since they have not worked out a contract as of yet. So I am forced to stay with att. Thank God, Att is getting the t650 on their side too. One benefit is ATT's rate plans are much cheaper. I just want to be able to take advantage of cingulars towers with the t650
    If you are what I am going to call a Cingular Blue customer, you are still a Cingular customer. There is no ATT any more. Any former ATT employees or custoemrs are now Cingular employee or customers. You may still have your legacy rate plans, you may still be dealing with the same former ATT employees, but you are now dealing with Cingular. You "should" get the same treatment from either side, but I realize that as ATT merges into Cingular it will take time before everything is the same for everyone. If you are a formet ATT client, and still have the SIM, a new 650 will only be using those ATT sites. A new 64K SIM will only change your coverage if they put you on the original Cingular network, it will not have you using both networks at the same time just because it si a 64K SIM.
    Man if they release a flip I hope it is as an optional model. I can't stand flip phones. I don't like how small they are, and they are hard for me to hold onto. Maybe a good design could change my mind, but I haven't seen one yet that I would take over a traditional phone. I know I seem to be in the minority here - silver flip phones are the hot thing for sales...
    I have never been into flip phones, but would having one serve more to protect the screen and keyboard on a Treo? Didn't an older model Treo have a flip, or was that a Kyocera?
    older treo did have flip - the Handspring original was a flip. Right?

Yes it would protect them, but mine is not having problems... and none of my phones really have.
    Yeah models that included flip were, 180, 180g, 270 and 300. They were nice but kinda resembled star trek communicators, which was cool at first and may in 30 years when retro 2000 items become popular but look a bit dated. I like the current version that allows you to use a flip case (Sena Piel Frama) if you want or go bare naked and every variation in between.
    older treo did have flip - the Handspring original was a flip. Right?

Yes it would protect them, but mine is not having problems... and none of my phones really have.
    Personally, I'm still concerned with keeping my T650 safe when/if I finally get it. I have a Nokia 3650 that I've beaten the crap out of by it getting knocked off my belt clip, being dropped, getting banged around while in my pocket, and falling apart from landing on the ground. How have people kept their Treos safe & secure?
    For those that keep asking, I believe I have said more than once on this very thread (that I know is super long and no one probably reads the whole thing) that the Treo 650 GSM with EDGE should be able to reach speads of someplace around 175K/sec. This is not a guess on my part.

Sure speeds can be slower with poor signal or high trafic (voice or data) on the serving cell, so don't expect top speed at all times...

For those planning to use the 650 on T-mobile have fun with your GPRS. EDGE is still not as fast as I would like, not by a long shot, but GPRS is even worse. It looks like UMTS will have to be released before I can get my data speed fix. UMTS should get you a current data rate of 384K/sec and with a later upgrade 2M/sec (next year?). HSPDA will offer data speeds up to 8-10 Mbps - I don't know what the ETA is for that.
    So, you would switch carriers from T-Mobile to Cingular because the data speed is MUCH faster?
    FWIW, a 64K sim card is totally meaningless unless your phone is ENS compatible (which the 600 or 650 is not). On the NEGATIVE side the 64K sim card will lock out the manual network selection option on your phone. If you can "read between the junk" there is some good information IN THIS THREAD ON HOFO

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner
    Bryant how did U get them to give U a 64K SIM Card w/o having to pay?

TIA from my T600
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    So, you would switch carriers from T-Mobile to Cingular because the data speed is MUCH faster?
    Very long story short, I happen to have Sprint, T-Mobile and Cingular until the 650 comes out and I will move all to Cingular. I have a great relationship with Cingular (for the past 4 years) and have followed the whole T-Mobile invasion in So Cal. As has been posted by others, At least in So Cal, T-Mobile and Cingular share towers.

This has been the case since T-Mobile came here. I had not really thought about it since I don't use my T-Mobile phone, but recently noticed at work, Sidekick users, had lousy coverage indoors compared to Cingular. We have many sidekick users (young twenties, and deaf) so this is not an isolated incident.

I called my Cingular Rep and he/she said that T-Mobile operates at 1900mhz and cingular operates at both 1900mhz and 850mhz. T-mobile only uses Cingulars 1900 mhz towers. Cingular is now moving to 850 mhz exclusively for two reasons. Better wall penetration (building) and ATT already has extensive 850mhz towers. So Cingular is selling off it's 1900mhz equipment (towers) to T-mobile.

So this may be something to think about too.