Page 75 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2565707172737475767778798085125 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 2657
    I've been a T-Mobile customer for years and have been generally happy with them. But get more what? More Wifi hotspots I have to pay for? More stupid sidekicks? More PPC phones that are slow, huge, and buggy? If some hint of an unlocked GSM doesn't come soon, I'll be dropping T-Mobile and either staying with the Sprint 650 I got, or maybe getting a Cingular one with EDGE. T-Mobile offers a reasonable cost data plane, but they really need to learn that we don't want to hang out at hotspots just to get fast data.

Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    We are coming up to another "choke point" January 27, 2005. For some it might be their first time seeing a release date come and go. I do not want to appear pessimistic as I sure hope I am wrong. But it will be futile to waste any more time in this thread. Rehashing, rehashing, rehashing and rehasing. Spinning like a dog chasing his tail.

wh...some will depart to Sprint if there is no relief by January 27, 2005. No Sprint for me.. Perhaps T-Mobile. I think I want to GET MORE!

http://www.t-mobile.com/images/promos/czj_image.jpg
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    According to P1, Cingular (and AT&T) have ALWAYS intended to sell the 650 locked. The P1 chart from their website has only been posted here at least 20 times stating that fact. What makes you think otherwise?

http://img88.exs.cx/img88/4344/picture00017ku.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    What if P1 just inked a new GSM exclusive deal with Cingular and Cingular is going sell them locked.
    Last edited by MisterEd; 01/20/2005 at 05:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    According to P1, Cingular (and AT&T) have ALWAYS intended to sell the 650 locked. The P1 chart from their website has only been posted here at least 20 times stating that fact. What makes you think otherwise?
    No need for the bold type. I don't care one way or another whether Cingular releases the phone locked or unlocked. (It's not a discussion I've participated in.) It has been rumoured that P1 would release the unlocked, unbranded 650 at the same time as the Cingular release. I was just thinking out loud about how it would suck if that didn't happen because P1 were hypothetically giving Cingular a window of exclusivity that people like myself can't take part in.

Now it's true I specifically mention the Cingular phone being locked, which I guess implied that I thought originally it wouldn't be, but I referred to it as locked in my silly speculative postulating just to be clear about how such a scenario would suck for non-Cingular GSMer's.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  4. MVP
    Need to switch from Treo600/CDMA to Treo650/GSM. I live in New Jersey but travel to New York City and San Fransisco often and CDMA works great for that and I am using Sprint. However, I also travel alot to Europe, Asia and the Middle East and so I need to switch to GSM. I am a heavy data user (real time stock quotes). What is the best carrier for me to switch to given my heavy data use and my frequent travels witin the US and around the world? I am thinking about Cingular since with the AT&T wireless merger it appears to have the widest coverage (but maybe not the best concentration). What is an "unlocked GSM version" and should I consider that? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by MVP
    What is an "unlocked GSM version" and should I consider that? Thanks!
    an "unlocked GSM" phone can take the SIM card of any GSM carrier, as opposed to a locked phone which will only work with SIM cards from a specific carrier the phone has been locked to work with. Because carriers offer handset discounts and because you can so easily swap SIMs on GSM phones some carriers lock their phones to prevent customers from easily switching to competitors.

The advantage for you in getting an unlocked phone is that when in Europe you can pick up a local SIM and save the often expensive roaming fees that would be charged by your US carrier. As for which carrier I can't help you, I'm not at all familiar with US carriers. (I'm stuck with a single Canadian GSM provider and their expensive data plans.)
    Sorry ... the "bold" was only meant to set it off from the posted image and not for any other reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    No need for the bold type.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Sorry ... the "bold" was only meant to set it off from the posted image and not for any other reason.
    no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MVP
    Need to switch from Treo600/CDMA to Treo650/GSM. I live in New Jersey but travel to New York City and San Fransisco often and CDMA works great for that and I am using Sprint. However, I also travel alot to Europe, Asia and the Middle East and so I need to switch to GSM. I am a heavy data user (real time stock quotes). What is the best carrier for me to switch to given my heavy data use and my frequent travels witin the US and around the world? I am thinking about Cingular since with the AT&T wireless merger it appears to have the widest coverage (but maybe not the best concentration). What is an "unlocked GSM version" and should I consider that? Thanks!
    I have been a happy T-Mo customer for more than 5 years. I have recently switched to Cingular for local coverage, EDGE, and Voice Connect. (Local coverage trumps all other considerations.

The choice of carriers to overseas locations is a function of their roaming agreements and the rates under those agreements. It is common for a country to have as many as six GSM carriers, some with GPRS but others without, with very different local coverage. If, in order to get coverage or GPRS, one is forced to a carrier with whom one's primary carrier does not have a favorable agreement, one might spend a lot of money.

I simply chose not to worry about it. It is too complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    If AT&T is introducing the GSM T650, see link below, then I doubt that Cingular will introduce it for quite sometime. This explains the removal of the online pictures and announcements.

http://www.attwireless.com/midtolar...almone650.jhtml

That link will give you the option of signing up for the AT&T release date notification.

They still have it here...
    http://www.attwireless.com/midtolarg...lmone650.jhtml
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayswj
    Perhaps. However, for many purposes, AT&T Wireless and Cingular are now one. With all the games that P1 is playing in this space, it is hard to tell if this is one of those cases.
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/20/2005 at 08:22 AM.
    Choke point or release point = January 26, 2005?

I spoke with Lorraine on the AT&T side of Cingular B2B and as many of you stated January 26th is a lock as far as she is concerned. She said that I could order an AT&T phone and data plan if I wanted. So perhaps January 26th is a release point?
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Choke point or release point = January 26, 2005?

I spoke with Lorraine on the AT&T side of Cingular B2B and as many of you stated January 26th is a lock as far as she is concerned. She said that I could order an AT&T phone and data plan if I wanted. So perhaps January 26th is a release point?
    I spoke with Bill at Cingular B2B, and he said that At&T would release Jan 26th, and Cingular Jan 27th, BUT this was from a memo last week and hasn't had any further information, and he says he hasn't seen any inventory yet either.. Still hopeful, but starting to look a little bleak....
    what is the att b2b number you dialed.
    Does anyone know if you can use the treo 650 on a shared family plan. ATT told me no, due to the t650 being primarily a data device.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Still the 27th, and reason for pulling the same, they don't want to steal Cingular's Thunder. (imo)
    I'm really hoping that cglaguna is correct on this point, but does anyone have any other ideas on why P1 pulled "coming soon" from their website and asked Treonaughts to pull photos of GSM 650?

I'd love this thing to come out on the 26th or 27th, but as Hayswj says:

Quote Originally Posted by Hayswj
    I spoke with Bill at Cingular B2B, and he said that At&T would release Jan 26th, and Cingular Jan 27th, BUT this was from a memo last week and hasn't had any further information, and he says he hasn't seen any inventory yet either.. Still hopeful, but starting to look a little bleak....
    I am trying to still be hopeful but I gotta say yesterday's pull of photos from Treonaughts at the request of P1 was a sharp pin in my bubble of optimism.

cglaguna you seem to have well-established relationship with Cingular people, any new info?
    I forgot my dang Treo yesterday. How we forget how dependant we are on these things, it's scary. My whole life, contacts and passwords are in a small little device. My main Cingu Rep has been out sick, I will try him/her again today. I am supposed to hear from a B2B rep today or tomorrow regarding my company. Will let you know as soon as I hear something.
    I Just recieved Emails from a PalmOne Exec. & a Cingular Data Exec. Both In response to Questions I sent to them asking about the Teaser on the Palmone website and Treonaut being asked to remove the GSM 650 Images from his Blog. according to the Palmone gentleman Cingular is running the show as far as the release Date that is why the Up & Down the Cingular Data Guy said the same thing but added they had originaly planned a Jan 20th release and that HAS been changed to Jan 27th....

Keep Your fingers crossed
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney
    I Just recieved Emails from a PalmOne Exec. & a Cingular Data Exec. Both In response to Questions I sent to them asking about the Teaser on the Palmone website and Treonaut being asked to remove the GSM 650 Images from his Blog. according to the Palmone gentleman Cingular is running the show as far as the release Date that is why the Up & Down the Cingular Data Guy said the same thing but added they had originaly planned a Jan 20th release and that HAS been changed to Jan 27th....

They are SICK! I do not think I even like them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney

I hope you are right..
    GSM Release
    6 Days remaining
    1501 posts

Ocean's 12 move over for:

Treo's 12
    Techjunkie
    specimen38
    whmurray
    cglaguna
    MisterEd
    Mtreosexual
    100thMonkey
    Boobookins
    bcaslis
    helpermonkey
    Thunder God
    Hayswj

(data compiled from the top 12 posters)
    (honorable mention Tanner, Barney, MacUser, Daddyof 3, Felipe, Smartphone Fan)