Page 71 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2161666768697071727374757681121 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 2657
    I am still betting the GSM Treo 650 is released at 1850 post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney
    New Prediction!!
    # of Posts will excede 5000 & T700 Will be announced prior to release of the GSM T650
    Does anyone know how mhz bandwidth is divided up by Cingular. I know they operate on 850 and 1900, but what specifically is the 850 used for and the 1900? I know T-Mobile operates on 1900 alone.
    It's more of an impression than a belief about PalmOne. This is supported by the fact that I have talked to these people face to face, and I came away with a different perspective. I do not think PalmOne is a victim. I think this industry just (GSM) shrank to two companies. Beggarly, the remaining second GSM company T-Mo has to lease the towers of the first company. Cingular is calling all of the shots in the market. They are the 3000 pound gorilla. I don't think there is a PalmOne/Sprint conspiracy. Now if you had said Nokia/Sprint conspiracy I might have bought that because Nokia sells the most phones period to all of the carriers. PalmOne doesn't sell a million Treos. whmurray...here is my bottom line.

If you have ever watched a dog chasing its tail, it's a curious site. Some of the commentary here recycles itself bitterly after one of these GSM release dates comes and goes. It reminds me of that dog chasing its tail. However, the moment I figure out PalmOne or Cingular or whoever won't deliver a Treo in February 2005, I won't be here in "I Will Wait For GSM Model. Who's With Me?" rehashing why did they do this, when is it coming out, etc. ad noseum. I will move on and do something else and not be captivated in discussion about a PDA/phone. ...............Holla back
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I understand that this is what you believe. What I do not understand is why. It is clear that you do not want to believe that P1 is doing you over; you are prepared to believe evil of anyone except the most obvious villain. Poor little P1; the victim of Cingular. Not Sprint, mind you, the beneficiary of all this; but Cingular with nothing to gain. I just do not get it.
    Consipracy whatever, as comments by executives at Roadshow. They HAD to make Sprint happy. When one on one with execs, asking why certain features where curtailed, they said they had to keep Sprint happy. Whether that involved money or acceptance and promotion, whatever.

A good reason why Palm is not releasing without Cingular, is that the phones end up on Cingular's network. Better with blessing that without, that way Cingular sells the phone, and supports it.

Back in Visor phone 180 days, they sold regardless of carrier acceptance, pre-Sprint. I don't think carriers carried the phone, I can't remember. I know they didn't release it first. I remember searching the internet for network settings, we could't call Cingular. My Cingular rep would call me to help with Treo questions. (she still does from time to time)
    Precisely......... "Consipracy whatever....Better with blessing than without"
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Consipracy whatever, as comments by executives at Roadshow. They HAD to make Sprint happy. When one on one with execs, asking why certain features where curtailed, they said they had to keep Sprint happy. Whether that involved money or acceptance and promotion, whatever.

A good reason why Palm is not releasing without Cingular, is that the phones end up on Cingular's network. Better with blessing that without, that way Cingular sells the phone, and supports it.

Back in Visor phone 180 days, they sold regardless of carrier acceptance, pre-Sprint. I don't think carriers carried the phone, I can't remember. I know they didn't release it first. I remember searching the internet for network settings, we could't call Cingular. My Cingular rep would call me to help with Treo questions. (she still does from time to time)
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    However, the moment I figure out PalmOne or Cingular or whoever won't deliver a Treo in February 2005, I won't be here in "I Will Wait For GSM Model. Who's With Me?" rehashing why did they do this, when is it coming out, etc. ad noseum. I will move on and do something else and not be captivated in discussion about a PDA/phone. ...............Holla back
    I would have to second that. I'm not sure what other choice is really as viable for me as the Treo, but I guess maybe we should start looking?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I would have to second that. I'm not sure what other choice is really as viable for me as the Treo, but I guess maybe we should start looking?

Count me in.
    Will stay with good old T600.
    Explore Ben q 50 or next SE 900 series.
    It's a matter of principle for me. A phone company can not take us (gadgetaddicts)for a ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I already have a good alternative. It is called the Treo 600 GSM. Works for me.
    I agree. I do not much care what you call it; I never used the word conspiracy. However, this is all about Sprint, not Cingular. Sprint benefits; Cingular does not. Cingular looses customers to Sprint.

Here I do not agree. This is GSM; the functionality that Cingular really cares about is on the SIM, not the phone. This is GSM; Cingular has all kinds of phones, roaming and otherwise, on its network that it did not sell and does not even know about, much less control.

It may well be that P1 wants Cingular to sell it and support it. However, if one takes Sprint out of the equation, it is hard to identify a motive that P1 and Cingular share in doing it late rather than early. This should be particularly true when they know that it is angering many of their customers.

I understand the argument that there is a problem with the phone that is holding it up. That argument does not account for why this is the second product on which this has happened. If there had been a problem with the 600 GSM that accounted for why it was late, I never heard about it. Is there anyone here who really believes that Sprint will not get an unspecified lead on the Treo 700?

Again, this is GSM. A service provider only has to support devices that it sold. It has no obligation to support arbitrary devices on its network. In any case, 650 will never account for more than a small part of devices that Cingular must support.
    Cingular is not putting a block on the unlocked GSM Treo 650. PalmOne is holding that in place. At CES, one of the marketing managers stated to me that it did not make good business sense to release the unbranded/unlocked GSM Treo 650 prior to Cingulars release because it might offend their customer i.e. Cingular. As I said before, the AT&T merger was not a good thing. It took competition in the GSM spectrum out of the market and has allowed Cingular to monopolize this space now. We used to have choices.
    Allow me to give my admitedly very biased oppinion. The Cingular merger is / was not a bad thing. Most people agree that there are too many carriers in the market and that consolidation must take place. Now that Cingular has purchased AT&T you see that Sprint and Nextel are merging too. Personally I am not expecting much out of T-Mobile in the long term either (just my feeling). By ATTWS and Cingular combining thier networks and spectrum, you have the largest (Cingular claims) network in the country coverage area wise. You also have no problem migrating to 3G (as you would have with either carrier on their own - 3G is a spectrum hog and it is hard maintining 3 or more (Analog, TDMA, GSM, UMTS for example) technologies on the spectrum you originally only had intended for one or two. The netowrks will be successfully merged,the network will expand rapidly at the same time the network consolidation is going on and UMTS is on the way too. Cingular plans to be the best carrier in the nation, now it is at least a possibility. Before Cingular and ATTWS were just too small.
    Just of the phone with my third party vendor who just got off the phone with Cingular, head of Business Division for the west Coast, date has not been changed, still end of Jan. I asked for an exact but it is probably being finalized. Will get back to me by Thursday.

Today is the official handover of ATT to Cingular, big corporate meeting to hash everything out together.
    Can you explain exactly what you mean by the official handover? Cingular already owns ATTWS, so I am not clear.
    I think that when ANY 2 MAJOR PLAYERS merge in ANY industry the only people to suffer are the consumers. While it might be good on the "technological" side only the consumers truly suffer in the end. Service declines and prices go up.
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Allow me to give my admitedly very biased oppinion. The Cingular merger is / was not a bad thing. Most people agree that there are too many carriers in the market and that consolidation must take place.
    Does anyone know how mhz bandwidth is divided up by Cingular. I know they operate on 850 and 1900, but what specifically is the 850 used for and the 1900? I know T-Mobile operates on 1900 alone.
    Different markets own different spectrum so this can not be answered on a company wide basis.
    In any case, 650 will never account for more than a small part of devices that Cingular must support.
    . . . I have to put my two cents in about now. I am as anxious as any one here. I lurk here a lot. . . My original screen name was Treo600Doug. . . .My 600 got stolen months ago and I decided to just wait for the 650 . . . .But . . .

Bottom-line, Cingular probably just doesn’t care too much when they launch the Treo 650. They already have the Treo 600, the Blackberry, and now the Siemens SX66. The Treo 650 is no big deal to them. They have much bigger fish to fry . . . As alluded to above, to them it is just another low volume, high maintenance phone Plus, I am sure the merger with ATT is sucking the productivity out of much of their staff. . . No great conspiracy. They will launch it when they get around to it. . .

I am over-stating this just to make the point, that this is much bigger to us than them . . .
    People like most of us here, while vociferous and opinionated, represent a very miniscule % of the users. The couple or few hundred (and I even doubt that) users lost to Sprint are meaningless in the general overall scheme of things. 99% of the "possible" Treo users don't ever see boards like these. When the phones are officially announced and come into a store they buy them not caring 1 iota about the crap ALL OF US are posting. Most of us (me included) really just need to get a life and not worry about when or if a Treo 650 ever comes out. We're just having fun but are not even close to the normal user either corporate or personal.
    I agree. I do not much care what you call it; I never used the word conspiracy. However, this is all about Sprint, not Cingular. Sprint benefits; Cingular does not. Cingular looses customers to Sprint.
    Bullseye.....MisterEd ...we represent a miniscule % of users. This is the "bleeding edge." Marketing people have a word that describes us -- "early adopters." They also know if they deliver a product that pleases the bleeding edge -- they got a hit -- providing it has enough unsophisticated appeal for your average Joe & Jane Lunchbucket.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    People like most of us here, while vociferous and opinionated, represent a very miniscule % of the users. The couple or few hundred (and I even doubt that) users lost to Sprint are meaningless in the general overall scheme of things. 99% of the "possible" Treo users don't ever see boards like these. When the phones are officially announced and come into a store they buy them not caring 1 iota about the crap ALL OF US are posting. Most of us (me included) really just need to get a life and not worry about when or if a Treo 650 ever comes out. We're just having fun but are not even close to the normal user either corporate or personal.
    HelperMonkey,

I understand your bias. And I agree there will be some benefits of having Cingular take over AT&T such as more towers, migration to 3G, etc. The angst expressed here is that of people who live on the "bleeding edge." It is my humble opinion that your average Joe Lunchbucket is not bleeding edge needing this phone. He'll stroll into his local Cingular store few months from now and squander his living on a 2-year contract and will hardly know the difference between the T600 and T650 as presented by the sales person. He'll peer into the display case glass and say... "Er...what's the difference between the two?"

However, I do believe competition in the market place is healthy and pushes companies to innovate for their customers, and captivate their customers. It has not been to our advantage (to our neccessity....sure, but not our advantage) that Microsoft is the 3000 pound gorilla in the OS space. I like Microsoft products and I use them everyday, but I am now wowed by them. I see their practices and I don't think its good, but I know the average consumer never sees what they do.

For Cingular, the Treo 650 is a product roll-out, but for some of us the Treo 650 is an hour by hour vigil and wait for its release. I choose align with the idea that "it gets rolled out in February" -- no more vigil angst like January 6th. [EDIT] I want to use the thread to have fun until it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Allow me to give my admitedly very biased oppinion. The Cingular merger is / was not a bad thing. Most people agree that there are too many carriers in the market and that consolidation must take place. Now that Cingular has purchased AT&T you see that Sprint and Nextel are merging too. Personally I am not expecting much out of T-Mobile in the long term either (just my feeling).
    Last edited by specimen38; 01/19/2005 at 10:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    agreed.

this thread is actually entertainment for me.

If it never existed...well, I'd still be a mostly-happy treo600 user.

But, boy I could REALLY get into some Bluetooth action, and some screen upgrade, and oh, I dunno...anything else they can offer. =)

outtie!
    wahoo, top of pg 72! =) (If you're set to 20 posts per page )
    Welcome Lurker Treo650Doug,

Bottom line the Treo 650 is just one of many consumer products Cingular plans to roll out this year. Cingular does what is best for Cingular. We all know there is not conspiracy. I only use the word to character something another poster here alluded to. Instead of "no great conspiracy" as you posted, how about no conspiracy. Isn't funny how the use of certain words get attributed to you when you were using them to characterize something else.

Insightful first post. Join and enjoy the dialogue. Have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo650Doug
    . . . I have to put my two cents in about now. I am as anxious as any one here. I lurk here a lot. . . My original screen name was Treo600Doug. . . .My 600 got stolen months ago and I decided to just wait for the 650 . . . .But . . .

Bottom-line, Cingular probably just doesn’t care too much when they launch the Treo 650. They already have the Treo 600, the Blackberry, and now the Siemens SX66. The Treo 650 is no big deal to them. They have much bigger fish to fry . . . As alluded to above, to them it is just another low volume, high maintenance phone Plus, I am sure the merger with ATT is sucking the productivity out of much of their staff. . . No great conspiracy. They will launch it when they get around to it. . .

I am over-stating this just to make the point, that this is much bigger to us than them . . .
    Last edited by specimen38; 01/19/2005 at 10:38 AM.