Page 66 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1656616263646566676869707176116 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 2657
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Look at what I have been reduced to waiting for the GSM Treo 650. However, I am having a ball of it. PalmOne, I know you guys are lurking. So send me one of the advanced versions.

What do you mean?
    They have taken the GSM treo off the website.It was there this afternoon .
    Now i really feel like kicking someone........in the....
    Damn those P1 ba$00ds.....
    Pretty wierd. I thought you didn't refresh and was about to tell you to hit your F5 a few times, but wow! They actually did take it off! Maybe because it is not "coming soon" anymore, and it's available Tuesday morning! Ha ha ha!
    Tried for 10 minutes,hit the refreshing button a few times. Does not work
    I am continuing to keep my hopes up!
    Will know by tomorrow.
    Well lets hope they have a data plan that is equal to the media works they have now. Right now I am thinking I should get a free phone with the media works and when they(p1), come out with the T650, buy it from them for the outrages price they will ask. And swap the sim into it.
    Ya it's gone. The page used to alternate between the Atkins and the gsm 650 coming soon, but now it alternates between Atkins and some stupid weather program. (A weather program? WTF!) As optimistic as I've been about an imminent release tuesday is just too much to hope for DaddyOf3, so I do wonder why it's gone now.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    Well lets hope they have a data plan that is equal to the media works they have now. Right now I am thinking I should get a free phone with the media works and when they(p1), come out with the T650, buy it from them for the outrages price they will ask. And swap the sim into it.
    Would that really work?

I'll be new to the GSM world when I switch to Cingular to get the 650, so please excuse my ignorance.

So... I'm just wondering. Do gsm phones have anything like an ESN that's used in CDMA phones, or does the phone truly take on the identity of the SIM? Along those same lines, if someone were to steal your phone and then pop their SIM into your phone, would the carrier be able to track down who is using your stolen phone?

Mark
    Don't go and buy a phone. Visit a store and tell them you want a SIM card for an unlocked quad band GSM phone you have at home. Tell them you want the 1-year service agreement. They will give you a free SIM with your current GSM phone number. Now if you don't have a GSM phone number then they will give you one. Just make sure you tell them your phone at home works on 850, 900, 1800 and 1900 mhz freq.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    Something similar to the ESN is on a portable SIM card. Advantage: you can pluck out and plug into another phone and everything follows. Even the personal phonebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer
    Would that really work?

I'll be new to the GSM world when I switch to Cingular to get the 650, so please excuse my ignorance.

So... I'm just wondering. Do gsm phones have anything like an ESN that's used in CDMA phones, or does the phone truly take on the identity of the SIM? Along those same lines, if someone were to steal your phone and then pop their SIM into your phone, would the carrier be able to track down who is using your stolen phone?

Mark
    I am not sure what that means. I would say its bizzare. I am setting my sites on February as I did when I left CES. If it comes sooner as the B2B commission earning guys profess then great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    GSMers,

After much alarm about the Cingular data plan, I decided to visit 2 of my local Cingular stores. At each store, I presented a unlocked Motorola GSM V600. This really caught them off guard. I enjoyed this a lot. At each store, they didn't quite know what to do. However, I was able to get them to agree to giving me a one-year contract, MediaNet Unlimited @$19.99/mo and a SIM card - for $18.00 total which a migration fee to Cingular from ATT.

I feel okay now. However, there is still one question remaining. Does the 1)MediaNet plan limit browsing in any way because the phones it is designed for use internet-lite.... 2) can the EDGE data speeds be accessed through the MediaNet service. I think the 100thMonkey will know the answers to these questions.

Finally, I would like to say to all GSMers. hold on....Cingular may roll out a new data structure specially for PalmOS. I think we should start firing emails to the B2B guys working on commission. They should know that they are going to lose market share in this space if they don't conform and become more competitive. Hmm...T-Mobile, an unbranded Treo 650 and WIFI hotspots might start looking better to some of us.
    1. I have never found a limitation but, I have heard ther was some VPN port blocked or something if you are into VPN. I think I have a way around it but have yet to get the 650 to try it.
    2. As far as I understand from my rep, they are not limiting EDGE in anyway, if you have data, you have EDGE.

Your right 100th Monkey may hav more particulars than I. I just have been with Cingular for years, so I know that even if they do change this, they will flex.
    Very good insight. Thanks.... What's the worst that could happen? I'm moving forward with the $19.99/mo.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    1. I have never found a limitation but, I have heard ther was some VPN port blocked or something if you are into VPN. I think I have a way around it but have yet to get the 650 to try it.
    2. As far as I understand from my rep, they are not limiting EDGE in anyway, if you have data, you have EDGE.

Your right 100th Monkey may hav more particulars than I. I just have been with Cingular for years, so I know that even if they do change this, they will flex.
    How will you integrate your GSM Treo 650? The following is partly how I plan to integrate my GSM 650. If you are a stickler for "off topic" then stay "on topic" and read the next post below this. My goal to achieve by March 26, 2005.
    Let's see if I can do this, never tried before, picture virgin

This car (on order)
    http://www.bmwusa.com/NR/rdonlyres/8.../0/0446_01.jpg
    http://www.bmwusa.com/NR/rdonlyres/7...0446_12_tn.jpg

and this truck: (on hand except I didn't get two tone, I like solid red and my dash is Lariat model with tan instead of off white)
    http://www.engine-power.com/img/spec..._lariat_03.jpg
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/...50interior.jpg

GSM of course, to stay on topic.
    Last edited by cglaguna; 01/18/2005 at 02:53 AM.
    Cool looking Beamer, CG.

Will you donate the truck to charity when you get the BMW? I qualify as a charity organization of one
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Cool looking Beamer, CG.

Will you donate the truck to charity when you get the BMW? I qualify as a charity organization of one
    BMW-Well it will be darker blue I think. Thanks!

Truck going away? === No Way. I would give up my Treo and the Beamer before that truck went away. My favorite vehicle of all my life.
    Sexy!....Treo 650 integration..cglaguna

The Beamer....and very, very, very cool Ford Truck. I came reallt close to getting the 540i in the Beamer. Bluetooth built in and a really cool center console. whoa....!
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Let's see if I can do this, never tried before, picture virgin

This car (on order)

and this truck: (on hand except I didn't get two tone, I like solid red and my dash is Lariat model with tan instead of off white)

GSM of course, to stay on topic.
    I am not sure what that means. I would say its bizzare. I am setting my sites on February as I did when I left CES. If it comes sooner as the B2B commission earning guys profess then great.
    Oops! Big slip in schedule. When specimen38 abandons January, can Spring be far behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    What do you mean?
    Cingular has joined P1 in teasing.