Page 64 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1454596061626364656667686974114 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 2657
    I have been reading where some have posted that there will be no ROM updates for the GSM version of the 650. Perhaps that is true. But the one thing that has worked in our benefit is time. I am really glad the CDMAers addressed these issues in advance, and I am certain PalmOne has been working on them for sometime. Perhaps the GSM's delay is the result of PalmOne making changes, and updating the ROM for the GSM release. It is very possible Cingular imposed it. Perhaps Cingular did not want the PRPRPR $nightmare$. $Perhaps$ $Cingular$, $although$ $bigger$ $than$ $Sprint$, $is$ $more$ $sensitive$ $to$ $their$ $customers$ $needs$. $I$ $would$ $like$ $to$ $think$ $that$ $is$ $true$. $If$ $it$ $is$ $true$, $I$ $would$ $have$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $respect$ $for$ $Cingular$ $as$ $a$ $company$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Very positive, S38!
    This thread will be over in 7-10 days.
    We are going to need a new whining thread, where all GSMers will give there input.I bet we will have a lot to complain.
    Cingular is not perfect, BUT they are much better than Sprint on the customer service side of things. I have spent 4 months trying to discontinue a line my mother has with Sprint. They kept sending us one final bill until finally we realized we had a + credit. Now the problems is getting them to send our credit balance back.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisutley
    I already got rid of my Sprint 650... Hoping the GSM model will have some of these bugs worked out, and that Cingular will suck less than Sprint.
    Mtreosexual,

I like the ideas you suggested about the future Treo 700, but I will keep the 650 for a year and pass on to a family member or sell it. I will wait for the GSM 700. That's my plan. The 650 is going to be an interim phone for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Mtreosexual,

I like the ideas you suggested about the future Treo 700, but I will keep the 650 for a year and pass on to a family member or sell it. I will wait for the GSM 700. That's my plan. The 650 is going to be an interim phone for me.
    Yea right, homes...the Treo 777 is off the chain, B!!! That's the 1 I'm keepin' 4 life.
    Confirmed Cingular Treo 650 unlimited data plan is $39.99 as of 1/6/05

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=69549

Al
    If that is the case you won't see the phone for 2 more months. There is no way they can call back all that were (allegedly) produced, update them and repackage them for resale if that were the case. If they are released next week they will be "as is."

The only exception you might see is the sound problem. That issue may have been directly related to the CDMA radio itself which the GSM obviously won't have.

The other possibility is the phones are being produced NOW with all fixes (and were never "sitting in warehouses" as alleged). If that's the case, they may be fixed, but you won't see them next week. If you believe THIS CNET ARTICLE from late October (that Sprint has all 650 production for at least 2004) then I can't imagine them producing many GSM 650's over the last 2 weeks. That would mean VERY VERY short supply when first released.

Perhaps the GSM's delay is the result of PalmOne making changes, and updating the ROM for the GSM release. It is very possible Cingular imposed it. Perhaps Cingular did not want the PRPRPR $nightmare$. $Perhaps$ $Cingular$, $although$ $bigger$ $than$ $Sprint$, $is$ $more$ $sensitive$ $to$ $their$ $customers$ $needs$. $I$ $would$ $like$ $to$ $think$ $that$ $is$ $true$. $If$ $it$ $is$ $true$, $I$ $would$ $have$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $respect$ $for$ $Cingular$ $as$ $a$ $company$.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    If that is the case you won't see the phone for 2 more months. There is no way they can call back all that were (allegedly) produced, update them and repackage them for resale if that were the case. If they are released next week they will be "as is."

The only exception you might see is the sound problem. That issue may have been directly related to the CDMA radio itself which the GSM obviously won't have.

The other possibility is the phones are being produced NOW with all fixes (and were never "sitting in warehouses" as alleged). If that's the case, they may be fixed, but you won't see them next week. If you believe THIS CNET ARTICLE from late October (that Sprint has all 650 production for at least 2004) then I can't imagine them producing many GSM 650's over the last 2 weeks. That would mean VERY VERY short supply when first released.
    I don't think they would just be sitting around waiting. I work for a manufacturing company and inventory turn around time is important. If they have all these treos packaged ready to go, they have $$$ invested with no return. Whoever is making them (HTC?) should be lean enough to manufacture and ship them in just enough time to get them to our greedy little hands.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner
    allow me to begin...

man...they took forever releasing this thing...and it's STILL got issues!
    Ditto's.......

Still trudging towards 2000 Post's
    Cingular's goals is to lock you in to a 2-year contract at the monthly data rate of $40.00/per. The website is a farse. It's design to get you into a 2-year deal. You would be wise to spend a little extra upfront and go into the store because in the end--the subsidized stuff is going to cost you more. Sprint wants 2-years also. You will have to walk into the Cingular store with a GSM phone of any type, establish a 1-year contract, get a sim, and walk out. That is step 1. Step 2 is up to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas

Al
    I'm estimating 1800 post is the target at the time of GSM release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney
    Ditto's.......

Still trudging towards 2000 Post's
    Mtreosexual,

I am afraid that it may only be 6-8 months for T700.With all the outrage and concernns there is a possibility that both version of T700 will be announced at the same time.
    Do not expect a foldable plasma screen in T 700.
    Wifi,more memory,next os is your best bet.
    Major hardware change will include a trimmed antenna.
    Mtreosexual,

Aren't all of them interim phones . By the way according to your release predictions and statistics, shouldn't the Treo 700 be rumored and announced now for a Jan 2006 actual delivery date?
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas

Al
    ATTENTION CINGULAR USERS

Don't sign up for $40 account. Sign for either measured service or MEdia Works, if your rep won't let you, don't sign for Data at all. After you have service add Media Works $20. This is not a big deal.

If you need to stick your sim card in your best friends regular Cingular phone, call them up and sign for $20 Media Works. They also have measured data plans which I used for a long time without a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddyof3
    I wouldn't trust any of those thin imitation leather (or even real) cases with the belt clip. I used to have one of those and it broke off while hiking. Now I use the Basecamp from Grinder Gear. There are a lot of places that sell it; the link is one of them. The basecamp can be your wallet too; it has pockets. With nothing but a PDA, memory cards, and business cards, it fits very snugly against my waist. It has multiple ways of attachment, clip included, but I run my belt through the high quality straps in the back. The case is lined with scratch-resistant padded cloth. I know it is pricy, but it is really the only way to go if you're going to be rough with it (I rolled over it in my crawspace while working on my water pump, and didn't cause any harm.

Hope this helps!
    http://www.bagpeddler.com/pda-gg.shtml
    http://www.extremepda.com/page/XPDA/.../GRINDERGARMIN
    I wouldn't consider $25 to protect a $600 investment to be pricey . I did have a couple of questions though. I have no idea what EPV sandwiched foam is. Is that like a hard plate or something? Do you put your Treo in the case face in or face out?
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Aren't all of them interim phones .
    I can hardly remember all my PDAs much less all my cell phones. I upgrade about once a year. However, each upgrade is harder than the last. 600 to 650 promises to be a bear, only in part because it has less, rather than more, effective memory. There is a limit out there somewhere and we are getting close. [I have had this PC for 30 months and dread having to upgrade.]
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I can hardly remember all my PDAs much less all my cell phones. I upgrade about once a year. However, each upgrade is harder than the last. 600 to 650 promises to be a bear, only in part because it has less, rather than more, effective memory. There is a limit out there somewhere and we are getting close. [I have had this PC for 30 months and dread having to upgrade.]
    Yes you are right, the issues experienced are overcomable but the memory and memery issue is not.
    I'm estimating 1800 post is the target at the time of GSM release.
    You are truly the world's greatest optimist, Dr. Pangloss.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Yes you are right, the issues experienced are overcomable but the memory and memery issue is not.
    They are all overcomable but only with an investment of my time. Priced at the alternative use of my time, a 650 will cost me about four times its system price.
    [The system price is much higher than it needs to be because Palm broke its word about not changing the cable one more time, thus making obsolete power supplies and other devices.]

Even though I follow this thread, I confess that I am really not in a hurry. I can visualize taking delivery and then putting it in a drawer rather than go through the migration.
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/17/2005 at 10:51 AM.
    I just found this preorder form....

http://www.gadgetfreeks.com/treo650.html
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo
    I just found this preorder form....

http://www.gadgetfreeks.com/treo650.html
    I don't think a pre-order form means much, except that you can place an order in queue with Gadgetfreeks and they will process and ship your order whenever P1 supplies them, but who knows when that will actually be. (When they have stock and are taking order orders then it means something.)

That said I still think all signs point to a January 25th release.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers