Page 6 of 133 FirstFirst 12345678910111656106 ... LastLast
    after attending the chicago roadshow and noticing that all of p1 reps 650's were on the att network and most of the vendors too plus the presentation of the edge addition in the 650, obviously even palm sees the advantage of gsm
    from adiehard t600 att user
    I had Sprint for many years previous to my Treo 180 and then 600 with Tmobile, and always hated their customer service and fairly lousy reception in Atlanta. Well, Sprint was almost always 5 bars till it dropped a call. Then it would be zero, then after a few moments it was 5 bars again. And I was standing still. That happened many times with different phones from Samsung and Motorola (I went through 1 Sprint Touchpoint (nice phone for the most part), 4 Samsung 8500's, and one Motorola Timeport).

So, you can mention all the technical superiorities of CDMA and Vision, and whatever Sprint is peddling at the moment, but when it comes to actual day to day use I have been much happier with Tmobile and my Treo 600 than I was with Sprint.

And of course I ditto all the other things people say about GSM being a decent standard, available all over the US, and around the world.

-Sim

NoisyGecko
    dstrauss,

I think your perspective is USA-centric. I truly understand your position because I am more US based than abroad. However, from these forums I have learned two things: there are a number of Europeons members on TreoCentral and secondly, there are a number of members who travel to Europe frequently.

Everything is relative = EDGE is only slightly faster than Vision. If you like Sprint CDMA, it's clear you should stay with them. However, I think there is a lot of irrational behavior going on. From reasonably objective data, Verizon is #1 in coverage, customer service, & customer satisfaction. [Don't quote me, but I think Verizon is rated best carrier by J.D. Powers & Associates] In addition, Verizon is known for its careful testing and implemention of its CDMA technology. I am with AT&T and I am impatient. I am hoping I can refrain from being impulsive about my purchase of the Treo 650 and a new carrier. I would consider Sprint, but they are not the best CDMA carrier. However, Sprint is good just not the best. GSM is going to get better, but it depends on what's important to you. AT&T and Cingular are not the best carriers. They're Okay. I might be willing to accept "okay" if it falls within a pattern consistent with my Treo 650 useage. I think they call that "relativism."
    I have a Sprint phone in my family, right now. Sprint's technology may be better, faster whatever, but I HAVE Both services, right now. I don't use them for claims, I use them for phone calls and data. Where I am at, with all the phones I have had, Cingular GSM is far above SPrint. Without, doubt when I get all my 650's, all three phones are moving to Cingular. Why would I do that, certainly Sprint is slightly cheaper. In California at least, there are always issues with Sprint.
    Supposedly you can hear a pin drop, but all I ever get is calls dropped.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    I know it's been said before, but Europe ONLY had GSM. This is a huge market that P1 can't ignore. And yes, I'd love a GSM Treo 650!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    LT,
    Can you refer me to a page or other source for these rates to Mexico, please? I'm just finding this: http://www.attwireless.com/internati..._rates_pop.jsp
    Gracias.
    http://www.attwireless.com/internati..._rates_pop.jsp

You have to subscribe to the enhanced discounted international plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    I know it's been said before, but Europe ONLY had GSM. This is a huge market that P1 can't ignore. And yes, I'd love a GSM Treo 650!
    I could not agree more.

70% of world wide cell phone users are on GSM. 20% of world wide cell phone users are on CDMA. The largest US carrier is on GSM. Do the math.

P1 is making a mistake by catering to the loosing team.
    is there any chance that the gsm model is earlier available outside the US?

ok, saw the hint that available around feb in europe - but what about asia?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartphone Fan
    TMobile will unlock a phone after 90 days. You can then use any SIM from any carrier (including prepaid GSM SIMs) in your phone.

a carrier, but is locked to prevent you from adding software to the phone.

Again, phone locking and SIM locking are different issuesl.
    I sit corrected: I meant phone.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by amb34
    Wait for GSM? Hell, I can't stand waiting till next week, let alone for GMS.
    gms??? i think you will waiting for a while, i dont think they are even using this technology yet...
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigmccoy2
    after attending the chicago roadshow and noticing that all of p1 reps 650's were on the att network and most of the vendors too plus the presentation of the edge addition in the 650, obviously even palm sees the advantage of gsm
    from adiehard t600 att user
    what was the color of the attws 650's?
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Latin Traveler
    http://www.attwireless.com/internati..._rates_pop.jsp

You have to subscribe to the enhanced discounted international plan.
    Thanks a lot; I knew Sprint had similar rates, but hadn't run across ATT's.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    what was the color of the attws 650's?
    all 650s are silver, the ones at the show were preproduction and they were blue and silver or silver.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    all 650s are silver, the ones at the show were preproduction and they were blue and silver or silver.
    Too bad. I would like to see a generic GSM in the dark charcoal...
    I'd love to get a Blue one, personally, even if it is preproduction
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Even the Sprint ones? Are they silver also?
    This thread will not go away. More than a week in the top 20. Lots of good dialogue. Very little whinning. My compliments to the nation of Treo GSM users.
    Last edited by specimen38; 11/13/2004 at 09:53 PM.
    We kicks A**
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    i'm a little confused. Wasn't ATT CDMA or other before? Now I see tha ATT touts is system as GSM. For years I had ATT before they had SIM cards from 1998 - 2001. The service was incredible until it started to wittle down in 2001 for no reason. I moved then from los angeles to st. louis and it got worse. I switched to GSM T-mobile and now I couldn't be happier for the past 3 year!

So is ATT GSM or not? My friend has ATT right now but doesn't have a SIM card.
    Physician User

Yes, ATT is GSM and TDMA, (not CDMA) however TDMA is an older technology. By the way, are you aware on www.bluefishwireless.com Rx writing software for the Palm. I manage and train the providers of my job to use it.

Actually, GSM is older than TDMA, but GSM is more useful. TDMA is more like an adequated technology. TDMA is being phased out and that might account for interruption and sparse service.
    Last edited by specimen38; 11/13/2004 at 11:57 AM.