Page 52 of 133 FirstFirst ... 242474849505152535455565762102 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 2657
    MacUser,

Is PalmOne on the exhibitors list for MacWorld Expo San Francisco? I have been browsing around for a list and I can't find anything.
    Thanks Hayswj. It would be nice, but I don't think it will happen in January 2005.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayswj
    No you don't have to have a business account to buy through the Business to business office.. It is the office for businesses to get large quantity, but it is also the side of Cingular that get the more business oriented equipment... All you have to do is call the number and if it is available they will send it out.. Now if you go to a few of the stores that handle Business contracts (call your local store to find the nearest one) they can also request a phone to be sent to the store usually overnight if they are in the warehouse.. Either way you are going to want to get in on the deal quick.. i have a feeling they will sell out quick and you may be waiting for a extra couple of weeks for the next shipment..
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    any harm? any foul?
    none as far as I can see, but this is why that multiple threads on the same subject are frustrating because things are discussed and dealt with re-emerge and then get treated as new when its old news
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    Haha, I actually remember the Newton... god I'm old.

After thinking a little more, I really doubt that the iPhone would be the ultimate Treo 650 killer because it would most likely lack the keyboard. I love Mac's industrial design so I'm always curious as to what's up their sleeves.
    Ya, I had the original Newton. Then I had the 120. I guess I'm also old. D'oh!

I completely agree, I doubt the iPhone will have a keyboard or be of much interest to a Treo person. The iPhone will be about merging a music player with a phone and in the keeping with good design it will focus on those 2 things and try to do just those 2 things very well rather than packing in other features.

My lament was for Apple to get back into the PDA market, but I don't think that will happen and in their absense I'll happily settle with what P1 has to offer.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Thanks Hayswj. It would be nice, but I don't think it will happen in January 2005.
    You might be right, but I'm still optimistic that we'll see the 650 on the 26th of this month. Unfortunately my optimism is based purely on wanting this phone. I'm at the point where it's enought for me to hear one person say they talked to a guy who talked to a guy and I get hopeful. So anyone talk to guy?
    MacUser, I am happy to do it. But was is Mark/Space?
    Yeah, sorry I was away from my keyboard. They're the guys who do Missing Sync. Did you find them? I'm watching the Quicktime video of the highlights now.
    We covered this ground before. The January 5th and 26th release dates were discussed and here we are going in circles. This is one of the problems with having two concurrent threads. CONFUSION! I am referring to HOFO and TC. As a footnote I am referencing HOFO MOFO and Boobookins comments. (see below) Understandingly, there are other inferences to be made between that "I Will Wait For GSM, Who Is With Me?" and the sublime Lastest 650...
    For the record I agree that we didn't need this second thread, but it exists and until the moderators decide to merge threads what are you gonna do. For my part I wasn't trying to create confusion. (and don't see much confusion myself but what do I know.) I was just passing along info in this new thread for people who haven't been obessively-compulsively following everything going in terms the GSM release. I was lazy however and didn't provide links back to my sources (which were the other treocentral thread and the hofo thread,) and maybe that would have helped. My bad.

Anyway specimen38 sometimes it's difficult for me read tone but it seemed like you were annoyed. I hope not, and I would like to say in all sincerity that your CES post was great and I'm glad you've repeated it here because I think it'll help others who may not find it in the "I willing to wait..." thread where I first read it. While waiting I thought it fun to speculate, share info, on occassion stray off topic and yes even defend GSM against CDMA evangelists. Okay I'm officially rambling so I'll shut up now.
    I'll check it out tomorrow. I was near Moscone Center today and spoke with a guy who attended the SteveNote. I am going to an SBC conference in the morning at Moscone West. In the afternoon, I will go over to Moscone South Convention Center to see the MW Expo.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Yeah, sorry I was away from my keyboard. They're the guys who do Missing Sync. Did you find them? I'm watching the Quicktime video of the highlights now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    You might be right, but I'm still optimistic that we'll see the 650 on the 26th of this month. Unfortunately my optimism is based purely on wanting this phone. I'm at the point where it's enought for me to hear one person say they talked to a guy who talked to a guy and I get hopeful. So anyone talk to guy?
    OK you asked for it...

I really did talk to a friend of mine (he works for Disney). His Cingular business rep said that he would be able to ship out a new 650 before the end of the month. And to add to the drool factor, the lucky devil gets a 50% discount on all hardware purchased through his rep, but the discount only applies when activating a new account and only for folks that work for the company (so I can't finagle my way into any deal on the Treo -- though I may be able to tack something extra on to his order to get a discount on some accessories!).

I don't know if this means that us full-retail buyers will see anything on the same time-frame though...
    Here's hoping!

Mark
    Report back and let us know if your friend gets the phone before February 2005. Reading this post, a regular guy like me has no chance of getting this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer
    OK you asked for it...

I really did talk to a friend of mine (he works for Disney). His Cingular business rep said that he would be able to ship out a new 650 before the end of the month. And to add to the drool factor, the lucky devil gets a 50% discount on all hardware purchased through his rep, but the discount only applies when activating a new account and only for folks that work for the company (so I can't finagle my way into any deal on the Treo -- though I may be able to tack something extra on to his order to get a discount on some accessories!).

I don't know if this means that us full-retail buyers will see anything on the same time-frame though...
    Here's hoping!

Mark
    <merged>
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 01/12/2005 at 03:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    <merged>
    YEah!!!!
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Is this the guy? http://img133.exs.cx/img133/7894/images9uu.jpg Actually, from personal experience, I doubt the accuracy & knowledge of any B2B rep. However the timeframe sounds quite possible because even Palm1 stated "in the next 1 or 2 months" which would certainly include the stated "end of January."
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer
    I really did talk to a friend of mine (he works for Disney).
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Is this the guy? http://img133.exs.cx/img133/7894/images9uu.jpg Actually, from personal experience, I doubt the accuracy & knowledge of any B2B rep. However the timeframe sounds quite possible because even Palm1 stated "in the next 1 or 2 months" which would certainly include the stated "end of January."
    LOL. Well, I was just posting what he told me... can't promise anything.... yada, yada.

Nevertheless, he certainly made it sound like it was right around the corner. And I just can't wait to dump my Kyocera 7135 already!

Mark
    The following is a quote from this thread at howardforums:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...5&pagenumber=2

Quote Originally Posted by cali0028@HowardForums
    got confirmation today that cingular will have the unit's in the warehouse on the 21st. if any one cares.
    Now I'm not a member of Hofo, don't know these people, have been checking the site recently so I have no idea how reliable the info is but I thought it was worth sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayswj
    Consumer opinion is a big part of any business... I don't see why ti wouldn't be part of a cell phone company.. The opinion of the users as far a customer service, how thier calls sound, dropped calls, coverage.. These are the things that are going to cause them to either praise or chastise a carrier to friends and others, which determine how well thier stock does. Benchmarking is great on paper, but in practice it is quite different...
    Hayswj - I never said anything to the contrary. I said that customer perception does not tell you actual network quality etc etc. drive testing is the only way to know for sure. Customer perception is effected by lots of things like things they hear, not just their personally experience. Also customer perception usually lags about 6 months at the least.

As to stock prices, all carriers do not even have stock. Cingular is an example of that.

As stated before customer perception is important to business, but it is not a good way to tell how a network actually performs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddyof3
    Looking forward to the 650? Remember to make sure you have an up-to-date SIM card or you will be waiting to use your new toy (after you get it in your hands) until you get one from your GSM provider! If you have a 32k, you'd better be getting a 64k. Cingular switches them without cost if they are your provider. I heard from a Cingular rep that the new cards actually have different programming to allow better coverage. I didn't believe her until I changed... She was right!

This may be old news, but I wanted everyone to be prepared. It would stink if you got it in your hands on Jan 26 (crossing fingers) or earlier, and not be able to use it right away.

Blue skies
    Isn't Cingular the only carrier with a 64K SIM? As far as I know that is the case.

The 64K card is not going to allow you to get better coverage. How could a SIM do that?

I could be wrong, but I don't think that a 64K SIM is required to use the 650.
    Better coverage? Does it lower chloresteral too? (used in moderation)
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Isn't Cingular the only carrier with a 64K SIM? As far as I know that is the case.

The 64K card is not going to allow you to get better coverage. How could a SIM do that?

I could be wrong, but I don't think that a 64K SIM is required to use the 650.
    All I know is that the cingular rep said it involved the programming of the SIM. Specifically, older programmed SIM's liked to hold on to towers, so that when you were traveling, it would hold on to a weak one until it lost contact, instead of using the strongest signal. I didn't believe it at first, but I have noticed a very considerable difference in my hometown (maybe a coincidence of new towers going up or something). Again, it is not the 'physical' component of the SIM that caused this. It was the programming. It is, however, a physical limitation with the treo 650: it won't accept old SIM cards, like the 600. It will only use SIM cards that operate on a lower voltage. Says so in the manual of the 650 offered at the FCC site. That is why I posted; to get those with old SIM cards to get new ones (Cingular updates theirs for free) so that you can take advantage of your 650 right after the first charge! Enjoy!
    If you are not an international traveller, is there still an advantage to GSM phones over CDMA in the US as far as coverage and performance?