Page 5 of 133 FirstFirst 123456789101555105 ... LastLast
    Four reasons:

1) I travel internationally and need quad-band
    2) I have good GSM coverage for most places I travel in the US
    3) GSM America (AT&T Wireless) makes roaming convenient
    4) GSM is a standard for worldwide cell communications

but I will only buy an unlocked version...
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    We GSM folks have to stick together. I too am very tempted to jump on the Sprint CDMA wagon, but I decided to wait until the GSM version comes out.

I need some support on this because the temptation to get it now is so overwhelming. GSM people... give a little shoutout, will ya?

FYI, I am a current T-Mobile customer. I am planning to switch to Cingular/AT&T when it comes out.

Go GSM / EDGE!
    Hang in there.

One month ago I changed from TMobile to Cingular. Reason was simple... More comprehensive coverage. Network coverage on Cingular much improved since ATT Wireless merger. Despite advertising, in the past year there was very little roaming between TMobile and Cingular/ATT towers in my home area. I noted that in California and NYC roaming was permitted, but in other areas I was SIM blocked from using an ATT or Cingular Towers even when there was no TMobile signal.

Customer service was better on TMobile but TMobile has been systematically blocking internet access using WAP. Internet Access with Cingular has been about 20% faster.

Note when you move to Cingular you will need to add the MediaWorks package for unlimited internet, 1500 text messages, and 200 multimedia messages each month. If you use email, then there is "charge" for a picture message.

My only real complaint with Cingular is that the SIM blocks access to the Network menu in the Phone App so you can not observe or manually select the network you are on.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonlTreo
    No CDMA coverage at my house (I ate my wife's $175 early termination fee from Verizon) + I travel internationally too frequently to NOT have GSM. Do ya wanna be 'cool' sooner, or 'cooler' in a couple months??
    You probably could have terminated from Verizon without the penalty for the no CDMA coverage...
    The reason roaming is permitted, at least in California is that T-Mobile had, I don't know now, no towers of their own. They were sharing Cingular's towers actual signals. But I think that is winding down or their is some sort of limit on it as I have both companies right now and my coverage here is much better with Cingular. And since the merger (ATT) the signal is better, as well as the internet.

What does this mean?
    "Note when you move to Cingular you will need to add the MediaWorks package for unlimited internet, 1500 text messages, and 200 multimedia messages each month. If you use email, then there is "charge" for a picture message." There is no charge for picture messaging with MEdia Works. Or with adding picture to email.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    The reason roaming is permitted, at least in California is that T-Mobile had, I don't know now, no towers of their own. They were sharing Cingular's towers actual signals. But I think that is winding down or their is some sort of limit on it as I have both companies right now and my coverage here is much better with Cingular. And since the merger (ATT) the signal is better, as well as the internet.

What does this mean?
    "Note when you move to Cingular you will need to add the MediaWorks package for unlimited internet, 1500 text messages, and 200 multimedia messages each month. If you use email, then there is "charge" for a picture message." There is no charge for picture messaging with MEdia Works. Or with adding picture to email.
    Sorry if I was not clear. There is a per message charge on all carriers for Text or Picture (multimedia) messages. If you take a picture, on some camera phones, the only way to get a picture off the phone is with picture messaging. You can not transfer the picture via a smartcard or cable. So the phone carrier charges you for the picture message. If the phone supports email and attachments, you can email the picture without the charge.

With TMobile or Cingular, there is a charge for the picture message. If you use email with the internet connection, there is no charge.

Cingular has multiple plans for PDA internet support. The $19.99 per month Mediaworks package includes unlimited internet plus 1500 text and 200 multimedia messages.

To get the Mediaworks package, I went to the Cingular Store and established basic service and received a phone number and a SIM for GSM service. After the account was activated WITHOUT internet service I needed to go home and call customer service to get the MediaWorks package added.

You will also need to access the Cingular Site and establish a MediaNet account and password. Once the MediaNet account was established, I was able to use the Treo 600 to access most web sites and WAP sites.

I was also able to use email with one problem... I could not get the cingular smtp server to accept my emails (photo.mycingular.net). I changed to the smtp server for bellsouth (mail.bellsouth.net) and have had no problems.

Check with Cingular technical support for the exact smtp server to use. In the past Cingular did not have a smtp server at all and suggested that you use your isp's email servers. (did not work for me since they did not support send mail from off network even with authentication). However with the ATT merger, use of the smtp servers from att wireless or from either Bellsouth or SBC should work as well...
  6.    #86  
    Great info guys. Keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Smartphone Fan
    My only real complaint with Cingular is that the SIM blocks access to the Network menu in the Phone App so you can not observe or manually select the network you are on.
    I'd imagine that this will no longer with a problem since all Treo 650 GSM models will be unlocked.

I truly hope that the early Jan 2005 date is an estimate, and maybe Cingular/AT&T will release it sooner.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Anyone know if the Cingular/AT&T Treo option where you can buy from viennachannels through the RoadShows will/may ship earlier?
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    Great info guys. Keep them coming!

I'd imagine that this will no longer with a problem since all Treo 650 GSM models will be unlocked.

I truly hope that the early Jan 2005 date is an estimate, and maybe Cingular/AT&T will release it sooner.
    I am not talking about the handset being locked. I was referring to the SIM card. Even if the handset is not locked and can take SIM cards from different carriers, what features and what network features or network towers that can be used are controlled by the SIM.

A SIM locked feature is controlled by the SIM, not the phone. In my experience TMobile uses SIM locking to prevent a user from using a tower where there is not a roaming agreement. Cingular uses SIM locking to prevent access to the Network menu in the phone application. With my unlocked Treo 600, I was able to use the Network menu with a TMobile SIM, but a Cingular SIM did not display the same menu.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    What if Verizon acquired Sprint? Then what would y'all do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Latin Traveler
    GSM is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. Its just awesome to land in some other country turn on my phone and it works as well as in my home city for both GSM and GPRS. At&t has a great international roaming plan. I also get very low rates calling overseas from the U.S., Mexico $0.09/minute, Venezuela $0.20/minute, etc. Lower rates than what I get on my land line at home.

Also, the treo has some great apps for international travel. World Mate is my favorite, it works with GPRS to get instant weather updates as well as currency exchange rates and an instant clock sync with the Bolder, CO atomic clock

I can give up the Treo 650 but can't give up the GSM so I am waiting. GSM or bust.
    LT,
    Can you refer me to a page or other source for these rates to Mexico, please? I'm just finding this: http://www.attwireless.com/internati..._rates_pop.jsp
    Gracias.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartphone Fan
    In my experience TMobile uses SIM locking to prevent a user from using a tower where there is not a roaming agreement.
    In my experience, T-M will unlock your card after 90 days.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I have been thinking about this for several days now. The AT&Tingular merger is going to truly improve GSM coverage. In some cases there will be lots of overlapping. Now that AT&Tingular have better coverage, the one STRONG argument for choosing Verizon for a carrier is gone. Verizon needs an upper-hand. They are generally more expensive, unlimited nights and weekends start at 9:00 p.m. If they don't become more competitive in the next 24 months, I see defection. Great observation..Glenda.

Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    I would rather use my banana to call home than leave GSM---!
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    Think about 1 second and say no. Who care about Sprint and Verizon. This was announced as outdated technology 10 years ago.
    The world uses GSM!
    When you read all the issues that are CDMA specific, why would you ever want it? Everyday Sprint/Verizon Issues on this forum: Call waiting control, three way calling control, battery-no connection error, Vision up-down-sideways, Messaging on/off/on, poor battery life, bluetooth/nobluetooth, If in searching area battery wears in 2 hours.

I have never had an issue with 600. Have you read the 9 times replaced with Sprint?
    Easy Decision: Don't care about $150 Sprint retention, don't care if I have to wait.
    GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    In my experience, T-M will unlock your card after 90 days.
    TMobile will unlock a phone after 90 days. You can then use any SIM from any carrier (including prepaid GSM SIMs) in your phone.

The SIM card will always be locked to the network. You can activate international roaming. There is no way to get TMobile to allow connections (911 aside) to other US GSM networks if there is not a roaming agreement. So, unless you are in California, NYC, or northern Nevada, if you have a TMobile SIM, you will not be able to use (network authenticate) on Cingular (or ATT Wireless) towers.

A problem Windows Smartphone users are having is application locking where the phone is not locked to a carrier, but is locked to prevent you from adding software to the phone.

Again, phone locking and SIM locking are different issuesl.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Think about 1 second and say no. Who care about Sprint and Verizon. This was announced as outdated technology 10 years ago.
    The world uses GSM!
    When you read all the issues that are CDMA specific, why would you ever want it? Everyday Sprint/Verizon Issues on this forum: Call waiting control, three way calling control, battery-no connection error, Vision up-down-sideways, Messaging on/off/on, poor battery life, bluetooth/nobluetooth, If in searching area battery wears in 2 hours.

I have never had an issue with 600. Have you read the 9 times replaced with Sprint?
    Easy Decision: Don't care about $150 Sprint retention, don't care if I have to wait.
    GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM GSM
    actually cdma is a newer technolgy than gsm. the thing is that the reason people prefer gsm is becasue it is much more widely used becasue it is older and people can unlock their phones and use them with many different carriers
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    I stand corrected
    Wait for GSM? Hell, I can't stand waiting till next week, let alone for GMS.
    I'm with you--current AT&T/Cingular customer. Excellent so far
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    actually cdma is a newer technolgy than gsm. the thing is that the reason people prefer gsm is becasue it is much more widely used becasue it is older and people can unlock their phones and use them with many different carriers
    I think it's even more fundamental than this: Vision has been out for several years now, so data service is much better on CDMA. True, AT&T/Cingular are rolling out Edge, but everything I've seen is that it's a slightly faster version of Vision, and is NOT across their entire network. It is not the 3G solution that Sprint's EV-DO (and future EV-DV) that are over the horizon.

True, GSM is much more of an international standard, but excuse my USA-centric viewpoint - how many of us travel that much to deny ourselves better data service stateside?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.