Page 49 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3944454647484950515253545999 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    We GSM folks have to stick together. I too am very tempted to jump on the Sprint CDMA wagon, but I decided to wait until the GSM version comes out.

I need some support on this because the temptation to get it now is so overwhelming. GSM people... give a little shoutout, will ya?

FYI, I am a current T-Mobile customer. I am planning to switch to Cingular/AT&T when it comes out.

Go GSM / EDGE!
    You will have to switch to Cingular, because there will not be a T-Mobile Treo 650. You can use an unlocked one on T-Mobile though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    Another aspect of this to consider: T-Mobile is a truly global company, with more emphasis on the European and Asian markets than the rest of the US carriers. They offer EDGE and 3G services overseas, but have not chosen to deploy them in the US.

There are usually two theories posed about this: they don't see next-gen data services as a big upside for them in the US market (in terms of raw sales and/or differentiating against other carriers), or they are planning to take a different approach to offering high-bandwidth wireless, perhaps something based on the 802.11x family of protocols. I'd guess it's probably a mix of the two.
    It still amazes me that they wouldn't offer the Treo 650 for lack of wi-fi. Unless they plan to introduce something huge this year...which is doubtful.
    You might be able to sell your number to Deuce Bigalow, male gigaloo. You don't have to make any excuses--I think we were all there at one time.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Yeah, I always torture the Sales people until they find me a descent number, even with land lines. All i asked for was something easy to remember. I wasn't really looking for something quite that "blunt" but figured that it would be easy to remember. I was much younger and single when I got it.
    Easy digits. Cool..
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddyof3
    I got xxx-xxx-0123!
    Felipe...give us a piece of the digit loop. My imagination is not working so well today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    my number minus the area code is a loop. u start at a number and end at the same number.
    The name is Bond8. James Bond8
    Quote Originally Posted by RH1
    What's wrong with 007? I'm xxx-xxx-0078!
    The perfect number. A fragment of your name. Now that's an idea. If you could get fragments of both names -- even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by ayasin
    Been lurking here for a while (mainly for the 650 info...which is great btw), but I had to jump in on this. I used to have xxx-xxx-amir (my first name). Super easy to remember, but I had to give it up when I moved from the city I was living in .
    Kirson,
    It's sexy and sleek. The form factor is familiar because it is like the Treo. The keyboard is prickly to the touch. Each key has a little "pointy" nipple on top just like the Treo 600. The keys are spaced close together like the Treo 600, but I would say there is perhaps a few centimeters more space between keys on the P50 than the Treo 600. On handling it, (of course this is subjective) and flicking through a few menus -- it seemed more like a PDA than a phone. Honestly, I did not spend enough time with it to make a fair assessment. I did not look to see if it had a stylus. When I brought up the phone application, I immediately thought the touchscreen keys should have been larger and in the center of the screen more prominently. Also, the screen did not seem as bright as the Treo 650. It reminded me of the Treo 600 screen. I could be wrong and there might have been an adjustment button that would have brighten the screen and given it more resolve. Otherwise, all the bells and whistles are there like WIFI, which I did not get to test out and memory. It's a good phone. For me (being subjective again), in a world where there is not a Treo 650, I would start having a self-debate about buying the P50 or a Treo 600. All things considered, it edges out the Treo 600 by a "couple of hairs," but not much.
    Quote Originally Posted by kirson
    Thanks for the great post! Can you share a little more information about the BenQ P50? I must admit that I find it very interesting. The recently released images look pretty nice, the specs seem strong, and I like to think that the last 12 months have been spent getting rid of bugs One of the things I care about most is the keyboard. You reported that it reminded you of the T600. Can you elaborate? How does it feel? Good tactile response? Are the keys positioned well? Is there backilighting? Just curious...

Thanks!
    Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Felipe...give us a piece of the digit loop. My imagination is not working so well today.
    The name is Bond8. James Bond8
    the following is not my number.

start at 1
    go across
    go down one
    go across
    go up one to end at 1.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    ...For me (being subjective again), in a world where there is not a Treo 650, I would start having a self-debate about buying the P50 or a Treo 600. All things considered, it edges out the Treo 600 by a "couple of hairs," but not much...
    Thanks my friend!

Being a huge gadget freek, I love having all the bells and whistles possible. The Wi-Fi and 1.3 Mpixel camera seem like really nice features to have. On the other hand, I really am a power user as well, and I need a rock solid OS, flawless email capabilities (including top notch keyboard), clear and robust phone, and well integrated and robust PIM. Yup. Still looking

I have been pretty happy with the Blackberry 7230 for the past year or so, but that's because my focus was email. When I began using the phone more, and needed the more robust PIM -- it really didn't deliver. I switched to the 7100t and while the phone was much better, the keyboard is absolute garbage (the keyboard, mind you, not the SureType technology which is actually OK), and the processor is so slow that the device is really hard to use. Moreover, the PIM is STILL not up to snuff.

So, I am exlopring the T650 and the P50. I will buy one of these 2 in the next 3 to 6 months. I have been closely monitoring both the Treo and the PPC boards to try and see which device is the better one. At the moment, it's a bit of a toss up. I will have to get them both in my hands and get a better sense for what each can and can't do.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the information! Any other thoughts on the relative strengths and weaknesses of the two devices willl be much welcomed!

Oh, and almost completely off topic -- any idea how easy it is to create full push quality email delivery on the PPC? Seems like it's quite manageable on the Treo -- not all that much discussion on the the PPC boards, which leads me to think it's a bit more complicated...

Regards,
    Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by rysmith
    It still amazes me that they wouldn't offer the Treo 650 for lack of wi-fi. Unless they plan to introduce something huge this year...which is doubtful.
    Sure they will the T700 with WiFi & 64 Meg of Ram will more than likely be announced in september.....
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    .....I really hate to leave T-Mo after all these years.
    Perhaps. But I am finding more reasons to help justify it. For example, I get 20% more minutes than my T-Mo plan plus roll-over. Cingular also has "Voice Connect" voice activated dialing.
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/11/2005 at 01:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rysmith
    I'm not clear on the reasoning for T-Mobile not offering the 650. They may claim it's because of lack of WiFi, but I'm sure there's more to it than that. They offer plenty of new devices without WiFi support. They may be avoiding too much dilution/confusion of support, with PPC and Blackberry platforms already in their mix, and are considering dropping PalmOS devices after the Treo 600 fades away. They might not want to emphasize their lack of EDGE services in the US by offering a phone with EDGE. Or some other political issue may be at play here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    I'm not clear on the reasoning for T-Mobile not offering the 650. They may claim it's because of lack of WiFi, but I'm sure there's more to it than that. They offer plenty of new devices without WiFi support. They may be avoiding too much dilution/confusion of support, with PPC and Blackberry platforms already in their mix, and are considering dropping PalmOS devices after the Treo 600 fades away. They might not want to emphasize their lack of EDGE services in the US by offering a phone with EDGE. Or some other political issue may be at play here.
    Keep in mind that the report that it had to do with WiFi was hearsay. On the other hand, youir suggestion re: EDGE rings true.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    This seems to re-enforce that thought:

T-Mobile USA Likely To Skip 1st Generation 3G Rollout

FRANKFURT -(Dow Jones)- T-Mobile USA, a unit of Deutsche Telekom AG's (DT) mobile operation, Monday said that it will likely pass on the first generation of third-generation mobile services.

"We will probably go directly to an upgraded version called HSDPA" or High Speed Downlink Packet Access, that delivers faster data speeds, T-Mobile USA Chief Executive Robert Dotson told a Citigroup (C) investor conference in Phoenix Monday.

He noted that it will likely take a couple of years before T-Mobile USA, part of Deutsche Telekom's T-Mobile International AG (TMO.YY), will implement 3G, as it will focus in coming quarters to start rolling out the so-called EDGE technology - Enhanced Data GSM Environment.

EDGE is a faster version of the current GSM - Global System for Mobile Communications - standard, enabling consumers to surf the Web or play video clips on their mobile phones.

T-Mobile USA Monday repeated it expects to reach 20 million subscribers by the end of 2005, compared with 16.3 million at the end of the third quarter of 2004.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    ......"We will probably go directly to an upgraded version called HSDPA" or High Speed Downlink Packet Access, that delivers faster data speeds, T-Mobile USA Chief Executive Robert Dotson told a Citigroup (C) investor conference in Phoenix Monday......
    HSPDA offers speeds of 8-10Mbps, near WiFi speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney
    I would Be willing to bet that we will surpass 1000 messages on here way before the first GSM is shipped....
    Almost there!
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    HSPDA offers speeds of 8-10Mbps, near WiFi speeds.
    I should have said promises speeds of 8-10Mbps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddyof3
    Almost there!
    Well at HowardForums a couple of people are reporting that Cingular B2B is quoting January 26th as the 650 release date. We'll easily hit a 1000 posts before the 26th. At this point I just want the 650 in my hands BEFORE Treocentral starts a Treo 700 rumour thread.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Okay..cool! a loop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    the following is not my number.

start at 1
    go across
    go down one
    go across
    go up one to end at 1.

Anybody opposed to letting TechJunkie have post #1000?
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney
    I would Be willing to bet that we will surpass 1000 messages on here way before the first GSM is shipped....
    LOL, those are the people who saw the post here repeating it on HoFo. (It's in the GSM section I think). The rumors and speculation goes round and round and round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    Well at HowardForums a couple of people are reporting that Cingular B2B is quoting January 26th as the 650 release date. We'll easily hit a 1000 posts before the 26th. At this point I just want the 650 in my hands BEFORE Treocentral starts a Treo 700 rumour thread.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Anybody opposed to letting TechJunkie have post #1000?
    Well heck yes, he should have it!

Only 18 more thought.... I hope his awake and lurking....
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!