Page 47 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3742434445464748495051525797 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    My guess, probably $$$$$. That's probably how they are able to be one of the (if not the) lowest cost "national" provider with probably the least overall coverage of all (but with some of the "coolest" devices of all the providers). They also have the most beautiful spokesperson. From their advertising their market seems to be the young "hip" crowd and don't hit the business world too heavily.
    their coverage is awful! their voicemail system also sucks! i dont know how they pull off getting some of the newest and koolest phones though?
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Another aspect of this to consider: T-Mobile is a truly global company, with more emphasis on the European and Asian markets than the rest of the US carriers. They offer EDGE and 3G services overseas, but have not chosen to deploy them in the US.

There are usually two theories posed about this: they don't see next-gen data services as a big upside for them in the US market (in terms of raw sales and/or differentiating against other carriers), or they are planning to take a different approach to offering high-bandwidth wireless, perhaps something based on the 802.11x family of protocols. I'd guess it's probably a mix of the two.
    Something I forgot.

There was another company selling a WIFI sled for the Treo 650. It had its own self contained battery and was very lite weight. However, it was a sled and it changes the characteristics of carrying around something compact. My apologies, I can't think of the name of the company.
    Enfora
    Check this out :
    https://www.enfora.com/shop/SearchRe...x?CategoryID=3

and this :
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/509-1.htm

I wonder when BenQ P50 will release...
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    Another aspect of this to consider: T-Mobile is a truly global company, with more emphasis on the European and Asian markets than the rest of the US carriers. They offer EDGE and 3G services overseas, but have not chosen to deploy them in the US.

There are usually two theories posed about this: they don't see next-gen data services as a big upside for them in the US market (in terms of raw sales and/or differentiating against other carriers), or they are planning to take a different approach to offering high-bandwidth wireless, perhaps something based on the 802.11x family of protocols. I'd guess it's probably a mix of the two.
    I think one of the main advantages of GSM is it's world wide use. This makes handsets cheaper and means we will get more cool handsets because the manufacturer just needs to make one model for sale nearly everywhere on earth. If T-Mobile is going with some idea of thier own, it seems unlikely to me that it will work. There is no need for another one vendor technology like iden. As for WiFi, hotspots are great, but it isn't going to work for me when I am out moving around unless the deploy it all over. I don't hang out and play with my phone in Starbucks all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by piterh
    Enfora
    Check this out :
    https://www.enfora.com/shop/SearchRe...x?CategoryID=3

and this :
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/509-1.htm

Too bad I didn't see anything about EDGE mentioned on there. It's cool, but who want's yesterdays technology? I want tomorrows , or at the very least todays.
    Sorry guys, couldn't wait any longer. T-MOBILE customer service pissed me off. I was on my eigth TREO 600 and they tried to charge me 500 bucks for it. I picked up my TREO 650 yesterday and IT IS OFF DA CHAIN. Not even close to 600 or TREO 270. I even had the TREO 180 and this is by far the BEST. I am now a SPRINT 650 user and the WEB and email access is 10X faster
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    As for WiFi, hotspots are great, but it isn't going to work for me when I am out moving around unless the deploy it all over. I don't hang out and play with my phone in Starbucks all day.
    I completely agree. Wifi has it's place, like in my living room allowing me to freely surf with my laptop while watching tv, but for my phone I want seemless connectivity. The Nokia 9500 has Wifi and from what I've read in reviews it will automatically switch from GPRS to Wifi when a hotspot is dectected (saving you money and increasing access speed,) and then back to GPRS when you leave the hotspot and this seems cool, but ultimately I just want always-on highspeed access from my cell network.

The other thing about hotspots, like in a Starbucks, is that you have to pay for access. If I pay a flat-rate for data access on my phone I don't want to pay extra for Wifi when I'm out.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    I wonder when BenQ P50 will release... [/QUOTE]

Feb 05'
    The BenQ rep said the 2nd Quarter. I asked her when was the 2nd Quarter and she said April-June 05.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual

Feb 05'[/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    I think companies that provide EDGE now have been primarly focused on the PC wireless card business.
    True. My understanding is that AT&T now has EDGE in about twenty cities. It is $80-/mo. A news article this week said that there are about 2M GPRS modems in the US, almost all PCMCIA cards.

This article http://www.mobiletracker.net/archive...le_3g_at_l.php

says that T-Mobile will begin to intoduce EDGE in selected markets in 2005 but does not plan to introduce 3G (UTMS) before 2007. The article mentions that they have allocated $2.64B for acquiring additional spectrum, suggesting that that may be the limiting resource.
    AWS and thus Cingular has EDGE nationwide, they have WCDMA in 6 cities though
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    ATTWS launched EDGE nation wide a long time ago. It seems like a year or close to it now.
    I believe EDGE is now almost everywhere AT&T/CINGULAR has a signal and it's part of my $24.99 "unlimited" internet. You're probably thinking of the new broadband service they are rolling out. I was in some small town in NY State on business last year (about 40 miles from Albany), and I was getting EDGE speeds tethering my Nokia 6620 to my laptop.

You're probably confusing EDGE with 3G UTMS

Edit: Helpermonkey's post seems to confirm that.

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    True. My understanding is that AT&T now has EDGE in about twenty cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    The BenQ rep said the 2nd Quarter. I asked her when was the 2nd Quarter and she said April-June 05.[/B][/I]

Feb 05'
    [/QUOTE]
    Not sure, but this was my source
    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/smart...800-029039.php
    [QUOTE=MisterEd]I believe EDGE is now almost everywhere AT&T/CINGULAR has a signal

Still not 100%
    Check this out
    http://www.attwireless.com/global/ma...u=Y&zipInput=Y
    Well, you still need to add Cingular to that coverage and I did say "ALMOST." [QUOTE=Mtreosexual]
    I believe EDGE is now almost everywhere AT&T/CINGULAR has a signal

Still not 100%
    Check this out
    I don't think T-Mobile will attempt to push a proprietary protocol. If (a big "if") they do push into WiFi-based data services, it will be based on standards, just as they've done with their current GSM and EDGE services around the world.

In terms of location-dependence, I fully agree, based on the current WiFi protocols, which only span several dozen meters under optimal conditions. But remember that the new generation of WiFi protocols, such as WiMax, include spectrum and protocols that can span several kilometers from a single access point. That starts to align WiFi deployment fairly well with the model currently used by carriers: a reasonable number of repeater towers to cover a region. They'd have to convince the phone manufacturers to embed these WiFi radios into their devices, which could be a struggle if other carriers choose different paths, but this opens up new markets for T-Mobile outside of just phone access to network services. Starbucks is just the start.

Again, I don't know that this is what T-Mobile is planning for the US. It could also be that they are skipping the EDGE generation and planning to deploy Mbps-level 3G services in the US sometime later.

As for the pay-for-access issue, if you have T-Mobile service, you can bundle HotSpot access into the same flat-rate plan along with GPRS. It will be a higher flat-rate plan, of course, but it's just as simple as a GPRS-only plan.
    [QUOTE=Mtreosexual]
    I believe EDGE is now almost everywhere AT&T/CINGULAR has a signal

Still not 100%
    Check this out
    Cingular edge Map, I am guesing including ATT
    http://www.cingular.com/download/GPR...rage_01_06.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    their coverage is awful! their voicemail system also sucks! i dont know how they pull off getting some of the newest and koolest phones though?
    T-Mobile is almost as good as Verizon in my area in regards to reception. I wish Sprint was as good.