Page 45 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3540414243444546474849505595 ... LastLast
    Is the BenQ50 Palm or PPC?
    Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    Is the BenQ50 Palm or PPC?
    PocketPC. First one that isn't completely, hugely ugly as a phone. (I thought it looked great, but $800 is a little too much in my opinion, assuming that is indeed the price for it.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    PPC
    Wifi, 1.3MP camera,64MB RAM&64 MB ROM
    little Pricey.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    I think we are fairly certain that there are PalmOne moles who lurk TC to report back information from the bleeding edge of discussion from early technology adapters, but I was wondering if there are Cingular moles doing same?

Can you explain why they would do that? I am new to this whole "moles" on the forum idea.
    and Palm One doesn't know when the GSM Treo 650 will be released.
    I wish that a mole would tell them to friggin' DO SOMETHING! I'm sorta tired of waiting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner
    I wish that a mole would tell them to friggin' DO SOMETHING! I'm sorta tired of waiting
    I do not believe in moles. That would require that they care. They are P1. Why should they care? In the short run, it must be wonderful to be P1 and not care.
    baahahwhwhahahah!
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I do not believe in moles. That would require that they care. They are P1. Why should they care? In the short run, it must be wonderful to be P1 and not care.
    Have you seen there stock prices? They care.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_madness
    Have you seen there stock prices? They care.
    Just check the intraday chart for the last Month "OUCH" They Should Care
    CES was great and I have a different perspective about PalmOne as a company (of people).

First out... There was some buzz about Shadowmite. I got chummy with a couple of PalmOne staff and they started asking questions about him. The Director of Product Marketing joined the conversation and said PalmOne would like to like to talk with him. They seemed very impressed and in awe with what they had read on TreoCentral. They kept saying stuff like I wish we could get him on board with us. They passed me a name and card to forward to Shadowmite. I will do so tomorrow in a PM. Now I know by now you have probably read some of other reports from CES by other TC members. I was actually reading some while I was at the show. So I decided to take a different angle as it occured to me from talking to the first 2 PalmOne staff that they read TreoCentral and as one put it "on a regular basis."

So I decided to extend my question about their reading TreoCentral to up to 6 PalmOne staff and one PalmSource staff. The consensus was that they all read it. I asked the Director of Product Marketing was he aware of our beloved thread, " I Will Wait For GSM, Who's With Me?" and he smiled and nodded yes. Then the question was turned to back to me and of my username in the thread, which I did not disclose then, but if they read this post they will now know who I am. Two PalmOne staff persons said some of the negative and complaining make reading it difficult. I gathered they have knowledge that they can't comment on or correct in the thread, so that's what makes it difficult. I asked about The Muffin Man and if he was he an insider. Lots of grins and jokes from another manager. Overall, it was plainly stated to me from PalmOne staff that they listen to TreoCentral members and they learn a lot. It was said, on ocassion someone posts a really good idea and PalmOne seeks the person out to eloborate on it.

So while I had the Director of Product Marketing in front of me I asked him the big question. When can we expect the GSM version of the Treo 650? He said, in the next 1 to 2 months. He clearly [EDIT] wanted to be non-committal to an exact date, but the 2 months was the absolute maximum if unless something else significant transacts to delay it. He then said, "it will be soon and you will see everthing then." The "you will see everything then" was explicitly something he could not say about why there is a delay. I proceeded in asking 4-5 other staff in the booth about the GSM release date and they all had the same story. One guy on staff -- winked at me and said more like a month. Also, I learned that the GSM (non-Cingular version) will be released at the same time. Another manager told me plainly that they did not want offend their carrier customers by releasing the Palm branded GSM Treo earlier. One of the guys at the booth was using a GSM version on T-Mobile. He said it worked great. He said, there were no problems, but it doesn't have EDGE.

In the end, I gathered that the PalmOne employees are people first and that they really want to listen to their customers and do good delivering a killer product.

Mtreosexual -- I saw the 65" Aquos by Sharp and it is beautiful. It will be out at the end of the year. The MSRP is being negotiated the rep said.

I held and played with the BenQ P50. It's okay. Reminds of the Treo 600. Especially the keyboard. The touch screen dial pad is smaller than the Treo 650 and for that matter the 600. Seems like they wastes screen space with the arrangement of the on screen keypad. It's sexy, but not as sexy as the 650. [EDIT] It made me think BenQ has committed a lot of resources to copying the popular Treo 600 form factor and keyboard unaware that PalmOne would release the Treo 650 with a new keyboard.

PalmOne had an Audi A6 at its booth showing the telephone car kit capabilities of the Treo 650 and BlueTooth.
    Last edited by specimen38; 02/02/2005 at 08:00 AM.
    Alter,

This is not about you. It's about protocols -- that's all. If you made an apology, that's cool. I am not a Moderator. Just a commentator. Take care!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego
    Well if this is referring to me as the initiator of the "Cingular Announces 650 release date" or whatever is was called. I did apologize both in this thread and in the original thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...8&postcount=65
    Teh Cingular release date was set, as verified by more than just me. I had very good information and all I can tell you it has to do with the number of issues that Cingular experieinced during their in house trials with the 650, which cingular always does. I was right on on the Siemens SX66, it ws not my fault that the phone failed Cingular's in house testing. And again, when it was delayed, it apologized without any prodding.

By the way I do have a new date, and have had one. I just am not going to be caught with my foot in my mouth again.
    specimen38, excelent post. I can only hope that others reading it will also understand the personal side of things for the people at PlamOne and the Carriers who are working on the 650 project. No one working on such a product would not care about it. They are all doing their best to release this product and make everyone happy.
    CES was great and I have a different perspective about PalmOne as a company (of people).

First out... There was some buzz about Shadowmite. I got chummy with a couple of PalmOne staff and they started asking questions about him. The Director of Product Marketing joined the conversation and said PalmOne would like to like to talk with him. They seemed very impressed and in awe with what they had read on TreoCentral. They kept saying stuff like I wish we could get him on board with us. They passed me a name and card to forward to Shadowmite. I will do so tomorrow in a PM. Now I know by now you have probably read some of other reports from CES by other TC members. I was actually reading some while I was at the show. So I decided to take a different angle as it occured to me from talking to the first 2 PalmOne staff that they read TreoCentral and as one put it "on a regular basis."

So I decided to extend my question about their reading TreoCentral to up to 6 PalmOne staff and one PalmSource staff. The consensus was that they all read it. I asked the Director of Product Marketing was he aware of our beloved thread, " I Will Wait For GSM, Who's With Me?" and he smiled and nodded yes. Then the question was turned to back to me and of my username in the thread, which I did not disclose then, but if they read this post they will now know who I am. Two PalmOne staff persons said some of the negative and complaining make reading it difficult. I gather they have knowledge they can't comment or correct in the thread, so that's what makes it difficult I asked, about The Muffin Man and if he was he an insider. Lots of grins and jokes from another manager. Overall, it was plainly stated to me from PalmOne staff that they listen to TreoCentral members and they learn a lot. It was said, on ocassion someone posts a really good idea and PalmOne seeks the person out to eloborate on it.

So while I had the Director of Product Marketing in front of me I asked him the big question. When can we expect the GSM version of the Treo 650? He said, in the next 1 to 2 months. He clearly did not want to be non-committal to an exact date, but the 2 months was the absolute maximum if something else significant transact to delay it. He then said, "it will be soon and you will see everthing then." The "you will see everything then" was explicitly something he could not say about why there is a delay. I proceeded in asking 4-5 other staff in the booth about the GSM release date and they all had the same story. One guy on staff -- winked at me and said more like a month. Also, I learned that the GSM (non-Cingular version) will be released at he same time. Another manager told me plainly that they did not want offend their carrier customers by releasing the Palm branded GSM Treo earlier. One of the guys at the booth was using a GSM version on T-Mobile. He said it worked great. He said, there were no problems, but it doesn't have EDGE.

In the end, I gathered that the PalmOne employees are people first and that they really want to listen to their customers and do a good deliver a killer product.

Mtreosexual -- I saw the 65" Aquos by Sharp and it is beautiful. It will be out at the end of the year. The MSRP is being negotiated the rep said.

I held and played with the BenQ P50. It's okay. Reminds of the Treo 600. Especially the keyboard. The touch screen dial pad is smaller than the Treo 650 and for that matter the 600. Seems like they wastes screen space with the arrangement of the on screen keypad. It's sexy, but not as sexy as the 650.

PalmOne had an Audi A6 at its booth showing the telephone car kit capabilities of the Treo 650 and BlueTooth.

Specimen ,
    You da man.
    Great job.
    This is the most reliable info about the release and is very comforting.
    I do not want any more speculations on this thread unless someone has a GSM treo to show us.
    Also this tells us that there will be an unlocked version,put an end to that as well.
    Glad to know it works well with T mo, that's my provider.

Thanks for info about 65" Sharp, will need to save some dough for that baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    specimen38, excelent post. I can only hope that others reading it will also understand the personal side of things for the people at PlamOne and the Carriers who are working on the 650 project. No one working on such a product would not care about it. They are all doing their best to release this product and make everyone happy.
    Perhaps. Nonetheless, the report supports the proposition that the happiness of some is more important than the happiness of others. The happiness of carriers is more important than that of end users. The happiness of Sprint is the most important while the happiness of GSM users is least important.

I was particularly interested in the statement that "they did not want (to) offend their carrier customers by releasing the Palm branded GSM Treo earlier." So much for those who have argued here that it was a matter of contract rather than strategy. So much for those who have argued that the problem is that the phone is "not ready."

P1 is no longer about selling PDAs to consumers but about selling phones to or through carriers. This strategy cannot help but erode the loyalty of the consumer.

All that said, I too am grateful to specimen38 for a complete and illuminating report. I particularly appreciate his reporting all the winks and nods, though I probably interpret them differently than he has.
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/08/2005 at 11:24 AM.
    C....but it doesn't have EDGE......
    What does not? The 650?
    I couldn't stand the wait no more. Given I have to 'administer' to my wife's CDMA 650 everyday...I ordered mine Thursday. It will be here Monday...Goodbye GSM, hello toy, now!
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster
    I couldn't stand the wait no more. Given I have to 'administer' to my wife's CDMA 650 everyday...I ordered mine Thursday. It will be here Monday...Goodbye GSM, hello toy, now!
    Sprint was hoping you'd do that. It made the wait worthwhile. No offense, and congratulations!
    Specimen38, thanks! A really great and balanced report, much better than these "P1 sucks and they are stupid" ones. I'm really surprised but encouraged by the statement that the generic GSM will be out in the same timeframe.

whmurray, yes, P1 is in the business of selling to carriers and not to customers. If they want to sell oodles of smartphones (and stay in business) they have to be. If you read some of the recent analyst criticisms of Nokia and why they have lost some market share it comes down to not responsing and doing enough carrier customization and delays in new models. They specifically talk about Samsung gaining market share due to their willingness to do carrier customizations. P1 will continue to sell to individuals, but only after their carrier partners. This is a fact of life in the phone business and not something that is P1's fault or something they can affect.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    The PalmOne staff person said EDGE was not on his (prototype) Treo through T-Mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    What does not? The 650?
    Last edited by specimen38; 01/08/2005 at 01:40 PM.