Page 42 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3237383940414243444546475292 ... LastLast
    The father of this thread has spoken. Props to Techjunk for bringing it together.
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    Mods, I think this is a good idea to sticky this thread since GSM release is the hot topic this month. I second the motion.
    EDIT: Magic Man, I feel your pain. But we did not complain when the CDMA version got all those stickies. I thought it was essential so every could see what was going on. Besides that....one sticky was released yesterday, so space "wise" there would be little difference.
    bcaslis -- what are you referring to?
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    The other thread is useless. Someone posts a photo and someone else claims it's official. It's official when Cingular or P1 announces it and not before. The only thing different on this photo is the Cingular phone startup screen. Big whoop, like we didn't know it would have this?
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    bcaslis -- what are you referring to?
    He's referring to this thread about the GSM Treo being "official" according to Engadget.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=68353
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  4.    #824  
    The father of this thread has spoken. Props to Techjunk for bringing it together.
    LOL. No props needed. I started the thread to voice my frustrations. The thread would've been useless without all the great info posted by all the GSM masses.
    Last edited by techjunkie; 01/05/2005 at 06:00 PM.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    What I do care about is that, for whatever reason, with 638 CDMA phones in a disributors wharehouse, P1 will not sell me an unlocked GSM phone at any price.
    I'm a little confused about the continuing emphasis on unlocked phones.

It's easy enough to go round the corner to a shop or market stall and get it unlocked for 10. Or are Treos different?
    Well I just got off the phone with Cingular B2B... AND...... They said something different then the normal we have no idea... This guy said "Actually we do have some information for you, they will be available Jan 25 or 26th. Would you like me to take your name so I can call you when they come in...." I called back to verify it with another rep. and he said the same thing.... My original information was that there was going to be a Treo 650 announcement today Jan 5th, and a release the 20th from my sources before (the25 or 26th is pretty close)... So maybe this is the info that everyone is looking for.. Of course it is still a wait and see what happens......
    Last edited by Hayswj; 01/05/2005 at 02:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    I'm a little confused about the continuing emphasis on unlocked phones.

It's easy enough to go round the corner to a shop or market stall and get it unlocked for 10. Or are Treos different?
    I apologize if my emphasis is personal. It seems likely that, as P1 has entered into an exclusive marketing agreement with Sprint for the CDMA phone, they will do the same thing with Cingular for the GSM phone. This agreement will be enforced against the consumer by binding these phones to Cingular. That means further delay and or cost to those of who are subscribers to Orange, T-Mobile or other providers.

I am not interested in cheating Cingular out of something that they have paid for nor am I interested in paying a premium for a phone that I cannot use on my service provider.

Since most of the shops here have an affinity with a carrier, the kind of service that you suggest is not as readily available or cheap in dollars as in pounds.
    If Cingular is the first provider with GSM, will it be unlocked like it was with the 600? I bought a Cingular 600 in Nov '03 and it worked perfectly with my ATT sim (back in the good ol' pre-merger days). If it is locked, can't you just hack the software iD to INT rather than CNG like you could with the 600?
    No, the Cingular Treo 650 will be locked. See this link http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,CASE=obj(16778)

The hack for the Treo 600 changing the ID to INT instead of CNG only changed the recognition of the device for firmware upgrades. It did not unlock it (it was unlocked to begin with) so that will not work. Cingular might provide a way to unlock but you will certainly need to be a Cingular customer to get it. palmOne will certainly provide an unlocked GSM (as shown in the link above) but the question is when that will be available.

EDIT: Well that's interesting. The link above used to have a line in it for the unlocked GSM. It looks like that has changed in the past couple of days. I wonder what that means?

Quote Originally Posted by treomendous
    If Cingular is the first provider with GSM, will it be unlocked like it was with the 600? I bought a Cingular 600 in Nov '03 and it worked perfectly with my ATT sim (back in the good ol' pre-merger days). If it is locked, can't you just hack the software iD to INT rather than CNG like you could with the 600?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman
    This has to go down as one of the worst product launches ever.
    have you heard of gran turismo 4. same thing almost
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    What is this obsession about being the first to break the news and post the arrival of the GSM Treo 650? When I see someone post something new -- first, I don't automatically think they are more informed than I am. Or that they are an insider. Or that they have some advantage over me.

What is it about? Perhaps first posters are looking for props.
    What is this obsession about being the first to break the news and post the arrival of the GSM Treo 650? When I see someone post something new -- first, I don't automatically think they are more informed than I am. Or that they are an insider. Or that they have some advantage over me.

What is it about? Perhaps first posters are looking for props.
    I do n't understand either. Lot of the energized posts ( for last 2 days)
    are out of focus,people are discussing pro's and cons of GSM.I am nauseated and sick of all this.
    I want' know WHEN.....
    Mark eagle is in vegas and has confirmed that endgadget was invited to a press only event and that's where the cingular T650 was shown or the picture.This only assures me that a GSM treo exists.
    Anyhow, for all those attending the show in vegas
    Gamble carefully and make sure you have enough money left for T650.
    Now that another prediction January 5th has come and gone -- it is certain that most of our deep throat operatives are shallow. There is really no excuse. Why do we trust these people who pass along bad and inaccurate information? Perhaps all of this is fueled by our impatience and desire. GSMers we should allow more sane minds to prevail.
    Now that another prediction January 5th has come and gone -- it is certain that most of our deep throat operatives are shallow. There is really no excuse. Why do we trust these people who pass along bad and inaccurate information? Perhaps all of this is fueled by our impatience and desire. GSMers we should allow more sane minds to prevail.

Possibly a confusion with Jan 05 (2005) instead of the Jan 5th.?
    Lots of angst caused by anticipation as expectations are raised and then not fulfilled. As you know, I've turned my attention elsewhere. Thanks for the last sentence......LOL. I won't arrive at the show until tomorrow afternoon. Perhaps I will run into Mark Eagle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    I do n't understand either. Lot of the energized posts ( for last 2 days)
    are out of focus,people are discussing pro's and cons of GSM.I am nauseated and sick of all this.
    I want' know WHEN.....
    Mark eagle is in vegas and has confirmed that endgadget was invited to a press only event and that's where the cingular T650 was shown or the picture.This only assures me that a GSM treo exists.
    Anyhow, for all those attending the show in vegas
    Gamble carefully and make sure you have enough money left for T650.
    Thanks so much. I don't want to be confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by webtoker
    Possibly a confusion with Jan 05 (2005) instead of the Jan 5th.?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    ........I want' know WHEN.....
    Only P1 knows and they will not say. By now, it should be obvious to anyone following this that not saying is part of their strategy. They are P1. Get over it.
    My opinion now is that P1 really DOES NOT know (at least not with any specificity). If the GSM phones are still under "testing" by the carrier(s) as "THEY" say and until the carrier has all the updates & fixes made to their liking P1 can't release a GSM model or know when the carriers will accept what they are presenting to them as a finished product. Rather then sending out incorrect information about releases they just aren't talking. (Just my opinion of course). I don't like it, but that seems to be the way it is. Frankly, I don't see it happening soon either if the devices are still in testing. Once all the issues are resolved to their (carrier's) liking they will have to update ALL the existing GSM models sitting in warehouses or in Taiwan which isn't a quick process I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Only P1 knows and they will not say. By now, it should be obvious to anyone following this that not saying is part of their strategy. They are P1. Get over it.
    I think we are fairly certain that there are PalmOne moles who lurk TC to report back information from the bleeding edge of discussion from early technology adapters, but I was wondering if there are Cingular moles doing same?
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    ........Frankly, I don't see it happening soon......
    Well, we certainly agree there.

However, if there is as much uncertainty as you suggest, that uncertainty puts into question, by definition, whether or not there is a 650 GSM product. All we have is an intention, without a commitment, to offer such a product of some kind at some uncertain time in some future from a company that is notorious for vaporware.
    I posted this yesterday, but nobody appeared to read it.. This is straight from Cingular B2B, who at the beginning of the week said they had no idea. BTW I'm not looking for props, I just want to share my information, because I know how badly I want this phone....

Well I just got off the phone with Cingular B2B... AND...... They said something different then the normal we have no idea... This guy said "Actually we do have some information for you, they will be available Jan 25 or 26th. Would you like me to take your name so I can call you when they come in...." I called back to verify it with another rep. and he said the same thing.... My original information was that there was going to be a Treo 650 announcement today Jan 5th, and a release the 20th from my sources before (the25 or 26th is pretty close)... So maybe this is the info that everyone is looking for.. Of course it is still a wait and see what happens......