Page 41 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3136373839404142434445465191 ... LastLast
    Hang in there...
    So I was all set to bypass the 650 and wait for real WIFI sometime in the future, then I got my hands on a 650 and the screen is gorgeous, oh well I'd better join the long line impatienty for the GSM release!
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Yes. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Those who think that they are getting a true discount on the phone are merely kidding themselves. It is a scam to lock people into long-term contracts.

History suggests that the alternativew price of service may fall substantially during the term of that contract.

I do not like long term contracts. It is worth more to me to avoid them than it is to the carrier to lock me into one.
    Do you know how much it costs a carrier to aquire a customer? With the discount on the phone it is a rather large chunk that takes them some time to even break even. That is why you are locked into a contract. People here would freak if the contracts were done away with and the phone prices went way up and the monthly bills too. ATTWS had planned to stop offering discounts on phones with the launch of GSM, but with all the other carriers in the US doing it, it is not even an option. They have to offer the discount - people in the US are too cheap I think to pay the full price. I know I am. But then I have never payed for one yet.
    hi,

it's January 5th and I do NOT see the Treo 650 on cingular's site

more waiting.
    HelperMonkey,

icanbeatali is beaten......(no offense) Not that it was your goal to landslide and rain down serious info on our zealous CDMA-er. I enjoyed reading what you said. I learned something new. The cell phone market is nearly saturated in the US. So...it's difficult to grow a customer base unless you figure out how to reach a vertically segmented/alienated group of potential consumers. I think MetroPCS found a new market of people who want the no frills - JetBlue antidote. I think all carriers will eventually move to this model over the next 10 years. As for now, it's carriers will continue to secure their customers with contracts. One day the economy of scales will tip in a directions and using a cell phone will be commodotized purchase so to speak and contracts will be done away with. There will be some new compelling application like the new stuff that networks and integrates your home security, heating, lighting,etc. thru your cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Do you know how much it costs a carrier to aquire a customer? With the discount on the phone it is a rather large chunk that takes them some time to even break even. That is why you are locked into a contract. People here would freak if the contracts were done away with and the phone prices went way up and the monthly bills too. ATTWS had planned to stop offering discounts on phones with the launch of GSM, but with all the other carriers in the US doing it, it is not even an option. They have to offer the discount - people in the US are too cheap I think to pay the full price. I know I am. But then I have never payed for one yet.
    It's time: "I Will Wait For GSM. Who is with me? -- become a STICKY! In light of the pending or possible release this month.

Who is with me?
    when is the US going to adopt the metric system already?
    I give you an Amen on that one.
    Fight On Trojans!! Great Job tonight!
    When I go skiing, I put my sim in my Samsung and Ski without a 2nd thought. When I skied one time with my Treo in my pocket, I stressed the hole time that I was going to fall and wipe it out. With GSM I can live on the edge and enjoy my schnapps.
    Ha. Yes please do not fall on your Treo! That would be a shame to crack that screen...
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    I understand that there is a value to the carrier of a subscriber. I do not much care how carriers price to get new subscribers.

I have been a cell phone user since AMPS, circa 1986. My first phone cost me $1500-. A year earlier a similar phone would have cost $3000-. It is not about the money. I am willing to pay a premium for what I want when I want it.

T-Mo has me. Sprint has me. I have had accounts with both for a decade. P1 has me; I am on my 5th Palm. I am the industry's dream customer, loyal, price insensitive, cheap to serve. Yet I am the customer that is injured by all of these, arguably illegal and obviously inequitable, shenanigans.

That said, I have no problem with subsidized phone acquisition at the expense of higher service costs AS AN OPTION. I just prefer to pay the true cost of the phone purchase and lower service costs. In the long run, i.e., over decades, my way is cheaper. In any case, equity requires that I be served on the same schedule as everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    It's time: "I Will Wait For GSM. Who is with me? -- become a STICKY! In light of the pending or possible release this month.

Who is with me?
    I second the motion...with a swagger after sipping cgluana's snapps
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    and the motion passes?

well, I'll third the motion for stickification If it didn't pass

Cingular update on Treo 650 @ the January 5th Date

"Do you have the treo 650 available?"
    Shana from Cingular: just a moment, let me look. I see a Treo 600...lemme check another place to see... we're not showing that phone...sooooooooo...you can check w/ the cingular store. They'll have to get the phone in before it's available...soo... they should know first.

My cingular store said that they wouldn't be carrying them, based on the fact that they didn't carry the T600.

hm...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner
    .....My cingular store said that they wouldn't be carrying them, based on the fact that they didn't carry the T600.

hm...
    I was in my Cingular store yesterday PM. They did not know anything about the 650 except that it exists and that Cingular has not released it. They offered to take my number and call me when and if they have one.
    I am waiting for the GSM version to be shipped here in Europe.
    Does anyone know when the launch is due??
    Just came from my local Cing "Company store" while making holiday returns at the local mall and asked the usual question (just for yucks and chuckles of course) and the (very) young man said "as soon as Sprint RELEASES them" to which I asked the usual question. He said "Sprint had a 100 day exclusivity contract on them just like we (Cingular) have on the Razr V3."

Yawn ......

I rate his knowledge about 1 :menu: out of a possible 10 :menu: but it's just fun hearing all the "informed" opinions.

So when did they release the Sprint 650? November 17th ?? Based on his "knowledge" around March 1st?
  16.    #816  
    Just to consolidate as much GSM info as possible into this thread, here's are a few links about the Cingular GSM Treo 650 from CES...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=68353 (posted by another TreoCentral member)
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...50_for_ci.html
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
  17.    #817  
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38

Who is with me?
    Mods, I think this is a good idea to sticky this thread since GSM release is the hot topic this month. I second the motion.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    The other thread is useless. Someone posts a photo and someone else claims it's official. It's official when Cingular or P1 announces it and not before. The only thing different on this photo is the Cingular phone startup screen. Big whoop, like we didn't know it would have this?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    Mods, I think this is a good idea to sticky this thread since GSM release is the hot topic this month. I second the motion.
    Yes ..... And ONLY this month I hope.
    Why sticky it when enough people already post in this thread to keep it at the top of the page anyways? I really don't like all these stickys. Pretty soon there will be nothing but stickys on the 1st page and we will have to go to the 2nd page just to see any new threads.