Page 4 of 133 FirstFirst 1234567891454104 ... LastLast
    I know but if i order it online i'm sure i will have to wait atleast a week till i get it in my hands ... And if i got to the US to get it, i can visit some friends too...
    Maybe i get a few more and sell it on ebay/germany and get the money for the trip back
    Does anybody know when the GSM unit will be sold?

sorry for my bad english it's really rusty
    Do you think that by holding out for the GSM version, that several of the bugs found with the Sprint version will be corrected before the GSM is released? Maybe they will have the wi-fi drivers completed. Maybe they will expand the memory a bit. Maybe the BT will be upgraded to at least ver. 1.2.

Any possibilities the GSM will be "upgraded" a bit based on the early-adopter CDMA experiences?
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Do you think that by holding out for the GSM version, that several of the bugs found with the Sprint version will be corrected before the GSM is released? Maybe they will have the wi-fi drivers completed. Maybe they will expand the memory a bit. Maybe the BT will be upgraded to at least ver. 1.2.

Any possibilities the GSM will be "upgraded" a bit based on the early-adopter CDMA experiences?
    We are talking three to four weeks difference. I am sure GSM's are in boxes already on a slow boat from China
    We can only hope...
    But it's going to be hard to walk by a Sprint store and see a 650 and not succumb to the lure...
    Sorry for the double post, I thought I might get a thorough discussion here.

So, other than the GSM network vs. the CDMA network, there is no advantage to waiting for the GSM?

I do not travel internationally very often, and don't typically use my cell phone when I do, so the GSM advantage is lost on me there.

It seems the CDMA network is faster in real world speeds than EDGE so the GSM advantage is lost on me there.

I have never used the SIMM card, and don't see the advantage for me there, either.

The CDMA data packages seem to be less costly.

So, is there advantage for "ME" to wait for the GSM version?
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    We are talking three to four weeks difference. I am sure GSM's are in boxes already on a slow boat from China
    I want on that ship ... anyone is willig to help me track it down ... and get some treos of it
    No, this is definitely not the reaosn GSM is coming out later. For one, any upgrades that the GSM model gets, so will Sprint. And it's doubtful that any significant hardware changes will occur with the 650 unless some major horrible flaw crops up that can't be fixed with a firmware upgrade.

The reason Sprint's getting them first is because they were first in line and made the first comittment, that's all. They comitted to buying a certain number and stocking them, and that's money in PalmOne's pocket... all the preorders direct from the P1 site are just icing on the cake for P1.

Remember the T3? Even its SD card issues were fixed with a new software release. As for hardware features being added, unless there's a bug that severely cripples the phone, it's doubtful that any significant changes will be made to the 650, when they can just release a new model in 14-18 months like they did with the 600 (the average life of a phone is around 16-18 months anyway, before a user decides they want something new).

As for me, I've pre-ordered and am getting a CDMA version. I've been a Sprint customer since 96 and I really don't know what podunk towns you guys live in, but the coverage has been excellent for me, and has only gotten better now that F&C America has come out. They were the first major carrier to cover all of the cities I travel to (Denver, West Texas, New Orleans, upstate New York, NYC, and Central NJ). GSM took years to catch up, and ultimately they're going to migrate services to WCDMA anyway.

Of course the picture is different if you live or travel frequently outside North America. But at the moment, the rest of the world doesn't look on us Yanks very favorably, so I intend to stick within US borders for at least the expected lfie of this phone.
    Last edited by scaredpoet; 11/09/2004 at 09:12 AM. Reason: adding a quote
  8.    #68  
    Just in case GSM folks haven't gotten a chance to look at PalmOne LiveChat, GSM Model will be available early Jan 2005.

Nov 09 09:34:56 <PalmOne> The GSM version of the Treo 650 will be available for purchase in January 2005 from our website, http://www.palmone.com.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
  9.    #69  
    Also, T-Mobile will not carry Treo 650 at this time... according to LiveChat

Nov 09 10:07:51 <PalmOne> At this time T-Mobile has not expressed interest in carrying the Treo 650. The Treo 650 will be available through SprintPCS Wireless first, closely followed by Cingular-AT&T Wireless.

But all Treo 650's GSM Model will be unlocked.

Nov 09 10:11:56 <PalmOne> We at PalmOne sell our GSM Treo 650 sim card unlocked, meaning that the device can be used with any GSM carrier supporting the Treo 650.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    I guess that means T-Mobile users are stuck with paying full price for the phone. Yuck.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!

Didn't I see this post on another thread?

GSM or Die!!
    Sorry for the double post, I thought I might get a thorough discussion here.

So, other than the GSM network vs. the CDMA network, there is no advantage to waiting for the GSM?

I do not travel internationally very often, and don't typically use my cell phone when I do, so the GSM advantage is lost on me there.

It seems the CDMA network is faster in real world speeds than EDGE so the GSM advantage is lost on me there.

I have never used the SIMM card, and don't see the advantage for me there, either.

The CDMA data packages seem to be less costly.

So, is there advantage for "ME" to wait for the GSM version?
    Didn't we also see this post on another thread?
    I thought we were talking about who was going to hold out for the GSM version.

GSM or Die!!!
    Sprint sucks.
  13.    #73  
    I am dying over here.... impatiently waiting for my GSM model!!!
  14.    #74  
    We should start a petition to PalmOne. This is getting really ridulous. Who's with me?
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    We should start a petition to PalmOne. This is getting really ridulous. Who's with me?
    I'm in! P1 bemoans the fact that the Treo 600 didn't sell in Europe. Could it be they're concentrating too hard on the US CDMA market and ignoring the rest of the world?
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    I will always wait for a GSM model. Traveling to Europe requires access to GSM network. I knew when I placed my order with viennachannels, that it was going to be a wait. Palmone is doing everything it can to keep Sprint happy.

I will be so happy when my GSM 650 finally arrives
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgal
    I will always wait for a GSM model. Traveling to Europe requires access to GSM network. I knew when I placed my order with viennachannels, that it was going to be a wait. Palmone is doing everything it can to keep Sprint happy.

I will be so happy when my GSM 650 finally arrives
    I agree, I am sure both phones are ready now, and they are gearing for shipping. They made the deal with Sprint, keep them happy, and ease the shipping nightmare they are going to experience for the first few weeks. Can you imagine how many orders are piling up. They will ship Sprint models, and just when the rush eases, they can start shipping GSM, makes things easier. (I can say that but, I want my GSM Treo now now now now!)
    I'm waiting. I travel internationally and need it. Plus, I'm in one of the markets that TMO is supposed to go to EDGE soon and that will be just fine.

J
  19.    #79  
    I spoke my mind on the feedback form. Told them that we are weighing our options in their competitors products (i.e. PDA2K). This is totally GSM Discrimination.

http://store.palmone.com/helpdesk/in...isplay=contact
    I will wait for the GSM model. Just got my Treo600 in April; sank quite a bit of hard earned $ on several new softwares and a few upgrades not too long ago. Thus, the heightened separation anxiety. I'd be jealous of you CDMA users and other GSM users who will be getting T650s earlier.

A couple ramblings (I hope you folks put up with me):

1) Anyone NOT selling her/his T600? I moved from T180g to T180 to T270. I had given away the first two(both units are still working according to current owners). Up until today, I had hang on to the T270. Once in a while, I would move my sim card to it just to "see how it is doing". It is still humming along beautifully and I hope its "new" owner gets as much use out of it as I had. I plan to hang on to my T600 when I get a T650 to use as a back-up unit.

2) Prior to the Treos, I had a Casio (forgot the model). I paid almost $300 for it including taxes- it had a calendar, an address book, a to do/task monitor and I think a calculator. For several years, that Casio unit saved me from touting those bulky, brick-weight day planners. These days, I get reminded of that Casio PDA when I see someone with a day planner (yes, people are still using them); and, I appreciate my T600 even more. Long live the Treo.