Page 39 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2934353637383940414243444989 ... LastLast
    I'm waiting as well - we just finished out a 2-year Sprint contract and couldn't wait to get to Cingular so we could use our cells in the south end of the house :-)

I had hoped to toss the Palm Vx at the same time, but I'm making do with the free Nokia from Cingular and still carrying the Palm for now.

The question is HOW LONG? The local Cingular rep said it would have been on his December internal newsletter if it had a chance of coming out in January. Hope it doesn't become a birthday present (5/2) :-)

Maybe one of the folks who got one at the roadshow will eBay it...perhaps I'll set up a favorite search....

Meanwhile I'm at least distracted with Christmas and setting up a surround-sound system.
    In this post from today, spacehog, who appears to have a "deep contact" inside PalmOne, said,

Quote Originally Posted by spacehog
    ...the gsm unlocked 650 will be out in less than 2 months...
    That means just about March. Maybe.....
    I has been widely reported on HowardForums that Cingular is changing it's policy beginning this year to lock world phones. I have no inside knowledge to say whether this is true or not but it does seem to be coming from multiple individuals. If true, it makes sense that this would first happen on new models.

FYI, T-Mobile has always locked it's phones. However they have a very liberal policy of unlocking for existing customers (doesn't help if you are not a customer). AT&T had a policy of locking their phones and never unlocking them. I have no idea what a Cingular policy would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayswj
    I had never seen that post before.. And it is very valid, but what I don't understand is why would a company (Cingular) who has a policy to have all their World Phones unlocked (previous and present) suddenly change it with the Treo 650.... It just doesn't make sense.. Just like it doesn't make sense why Palmone would say it is locked and it not be... So it is just another one of those wait and see things...
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    If you buy a phone without a plan, you will be paying the whole real price of the phone. However, if you buy it with a plan then you get some discounts, but you probably need to use the service for more than 1 or 2 years. I don't see how a cellphone company can lose money like that. Seriously, if I pay money for a phone then I have the right to do whatever I want with it. It would be different if I get it for free. At the end aren't they getting big bucks for the phone?

Al
    Yes. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Those who think that they are getting a true discount on the phone are merely kidding themselves. It is a scam to lock people into long-term contracts.

History suggests that the alternativew price of service may fall substantially during the term of that contract.

I do not like long term contracts. It is worth more to me to avoid them than it is to the carrier to lock me into one.
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    In this post from today, spacehog, who appears to have a "deep contact" inside PalmOne, said,

That means just about March. Maybe.....
    Not. We have been at March and holding for a month now. This is P1. This is a slip; we are now at April.
    One thing I want to do is use the phone on T-Mobile. T-Mobile has been a lagger in getting Treos offered. Also last time with the 600 launch, they didn't offer unbranded unlocked 600s until all the GSM vendors were available which was several months. In that situation, I bought a Cingular unit, put in my T-Mobile sim and everything was fine. I would love it if I could do that this time also, but the data makes me believe that won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Can I ask what everyone does with their unlocked phones? Seems like everyone is hot for one. Are you just using them on networks that don't carry the device, or is it something else? Curious. One reason some carriers don't carry a certain model of phone it because it does not pass thier internal testing standards.
    If P1 directly sells the Cingular unit, it will be locked to Cingular if Cingular locks it also. This has happened in the past with AT&T and T-Mobile.

I do firmly believe that P1 has an unlocked, unbranded unit. Last time they only offered it outside the U.S. until all GSM vendors in the U.S. offered the Treo also. I bought one from a mail order place in Singapore and when I called P1 about an issue with the screen, the P1 customer service insisted that the unit didn't exist (as I held it in my hand). This was because it wasn't being sold in the U.S.

I have no doubt that P1 can fulfill the VC orders in a number of ways for a few hundred GSM units. But they didn't offer the seminar in my state so I didn't go to one and I want an unlocked unit. If the GSM launch is a Cingular exclusive in the U.S. (which I'm betting it will), then the only choice will be getting Cingular or getting an unlocked unit from an importer at a big additional cost.

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    There are many here that are GSM and Vienna Channel users. Where has it been determined that P1 would not sell concurrently with Cingular? Executives told me to my face that GSM version would be available from them UNLOCKED. (they did not specify a time though, so maybe this is a catch)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayswj
    I had never seen that post before.. And it is very valid, but what I don't understand is why would a company (Cingular) who has a policy to have all their World Phones unlocked (previous and present) suddenly change it with the Treo 650.... It just doesn't make sense.. Just like it doesn't make sense why Palmone would say it is locked and it not be... So it is just another one of those wait and see things...

I agree.
    Anyway, right now, it doesn't really matter if Cingular will offer it locked or unlocked or whatever P1 stated..... I just want the GSM version to be available. Period.
    I want to see how it compares to the Sprint version and find out if P1 (or carriers) fixed the few problems some people encountered.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Can I ask what everyone does with their unlocked phones? Seems like everyone is hot for one. Are you just using them on networks that don't carry the device, or is it something else? Curious. One reason some carriers don't carry a certain model of phone it because it does not pass thier internal testing standards.

Another reason I prefer unlocked devices is that I travel to Europe often and need to be able to use a local SIM card when there.
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    .....Can I ask what everyone does with their unlocked phones? Seems like everyone is hot for one. Are you just using them on networks that don't carry the device, or is it something else? ........
    You may well ask. Most of us simply want the freedom to use our phone wherever we like, in any geographical location and on any network. We like the idea that we can use the phone on any carrier without having to coordinate with the carrier. We like the freedom to use local country SIMs when we are on an extended stay in a foreign country. We like the freedom to go where we get the biggest bang for the buck.

"GSM Roaming offers the convenience of a single number, a single bill and a single phone with worldwide access to over 205 countries. The convenience of GSM Roaming has been a key driver behind the global success of the GSM Platform."

We want the phone unlocked for the same reason that we do not want to be Sprint customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    We want the phone unlocked for the same reason that we do not want to be Sprint customers.
    Well, I don't want Sprint because the coverage sucks here in the NYC/Northern NJ area.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    One probable reason for locking phones may have resulted from Cingular needing to customize the phones to work "optimally" on their networks.
    The only thing that P1 does with their Cingular settings is to insert all the network settings automatically, that is the only thing different, the phone numbers for data access.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    If P1 directly sells the Cingular unit, it will be locked to Cingular if Cingular locks it also. This has happened in the past with AT&T and T-Mobile.

I do firmly believe that P1 has an unlocked, unbranded unit. Last time they only offered it outside the U.S. until all GSM vendors in the U.S. offered the Treo also. I bought one from a mail order place in Singapore and when I called P1 about an issue with the screen, the P1 customer service insisted that the unit didn't exist (as I held it in my hand). This was because it wasn't being sold in the U.S.

I have no doubt that P1 can fulfill the VC orders in a number of ways for a few hundred GSM units. But they didn't offer the seminar in my state so I didn't go to one and I want an unlocked unit. If the GSM launch is a Cingular exclusive in the U.S. (which I'm betting it will), then the only choice will be getting Cingular or getting an unlocked unit from an importer at a big additional cost.
    I have been with three phone co's up to today. Sprint, T-Mobile and Cingular. I have had hmmm (Visor phone, 180, 270 and 600) Never bought a Cingular Phone, always had first GSM available from Palm One. What is different with this release? I bought non-branded from P1 NOT LOCKED. Then hounded Cingular for some retention (always got it, NO CONTRACT), which used to work but have heard money is tight with the merger.
    When did you get your GSM Treo 600 from P1? I think they were first available late November/December 2003. That was the Cingular one which was unlocked and could be used on any GSM network.

P1 (at least in the U.S.) didn't directly sell an unbranded GSM until they also were selling the T-Mobile version which I think was around March 2004.

It comes down to time. If the Cingular is locked and an unbranded isn't made available from P1 in the U.S. then it might be a long wait for non-Cingular customers.

Hopefully we will know something this week. If we don't, I have a feeling it's going to be March until we see the GSM version.

I have been with three phone co's up to today. Sprint, T-Mobile and Cingular. I have had hmmm (Visor phone, 180, 270 and 600) Never bought a Cingular Phone, always had first GSM available from Palm One. What is different with this release? I bought non-branded from P1 NOT LOCKED. Then hounded Cingular for some retention (always got it, NO CONTRACT), which used to work but have heard money is tight with the merger.
    When did you get your GSM Treo 600 from P1? I think they were first available late November/December 2003. That was the Cingular one which was unlocked and could be used on any GSM network.

P1 (at least in the U.S.) didn't directly sell an unbranded GSM until they also were selling the T-Mobile version which I think was around March 2004.

It comes down to time. If the Cingular is locked and an unbranded isn't made available from P1 in the U.S. then it might be a long wait for non-Cingular customers.

Hopefully we will know something this week. If we don't, I have a feeling it's going to be March until we see the GSM version.
    My receipt is dated November 16 for the 600, non-Cingular, non branded.
    it cracks me up to read all of the people that think that GSM is a superior technology to CDMA. Sprint could have bought into GSM alot easier than buying and building up a 1900mhz CDMA network. The reason that they didnt is becasue CDMA has more capabilities as far as data speed and has clear calls. Which brings me to my next thought... I've read in this post many times that GSM has better voice quality. This makes no since from a technological standpoint and from personal experience. I use to have Tmo... it was no where near Sprint as far as quality. The only benifit I see is that internationally GSM is used, and that in many areas they have more reception due to the extra 2-3 mile footprint of their towers. All that said... if you live in the states Verizon still has the best coverage, and after Sprint starts converting some of Nextel's IDEN towers to CDMA and building more with the new found money from an extra 18 million customers they will be neck and neck with Verizon in reception. Maybe I am blinded by my satisfaction with Sprint, but explain to me why (in list form) that you would rather have GSM.

Maybe I'm just crazy...
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    icanbeatali, I totally agree...however to be on point Palm just posted a GSM only kb article...we will all know which is better in a matter of time

Really? No offense but are sure it was unbranded? The only branding on the Cingular Treo 600 was the Cingular logo when the phone part was turned on or off.

If not, I'll take your word for it but you are only person I know that got an unbranded phone direct from P1 in the U.S. in 2003.

My receipt is dated November 16 for the 600, non-Cingular, non branded.
    icanbeatali
    but explain to me why (in list form) that you would rather have GSM
    1. Because I have Sprint now, and no, in Southern Cal the coverage is worse.
    2. The sound quality is comparable but definitely not better.
    3. Data is unreliable Read just the listings today on these boards.
    4. Sms is always slow and unreliable, read TC everyday.
    5. More dropped calls in my area with my sprint phone.
    6. Customer service is without a doubt 5000% better with my GSM carrier (Cing)
    7. GSM is a world phone and no Sprint does not give you a free phone to carry to europe and no it is not cheaper to rent one and no I dont want to buy a cheap GSM phone and stick a Sprint Sim card in it, I want to use my treo.
    You want more, please read the TC board regarding Sprint service, customer service, billing, data, sms, battery issues?

If Sprint meets your needs great, I have both and Sprint doesn't meet mine.
    Last edited by cglaguna; 01/04/2005 at 06:12 PM.

Really? No offense but are sure it was unbranded? The only branding on the Cingular Treo 600 was the Cingular logo when the phone part was turned on or off.

If not, I'll take your word for it but you are only person I know that got an unbranded phone direct from P1 in the U.S. in 2003.
    Maybe it was because Handspring offered discounted upgrades at that time. I forgot about that.
    1. Because I have Sprint now, and no, in Southern Cal the coverage is worse.
    2. The sound quality is comparable but definitely not better.
    3. Data is unreliable Read just the listings today on these boards.
    4. Sms is always slow and unreliable, read TC everyday.
    5. More dropped calls in my area with my sprint phone.
    6. Customer service is without a doubt 5000% better with my GSM carrier (Cing)
    7. GSM is a world phone and no Sprint does not give you a free phone to carry to europe and no it is not cheaper to rent one and no I dont want to buy a cheap GSM phone and stick a Sprint Sim card in it, I want to use my treo.
    You want more, please read the TC board regarding Sprint service, customer service, billing, data, sms, battery issues?

If Sprint meets your needs great, I have both and Sprint doesn't meet mine.

As stated before I have sprint, and maybe the area you are in suffers, but from my experience traveling around the east coast and mid-america I dont suffer from the problems you mentioned... and I do read these posts everyday... alot of the problems people come on here and complain about are easily fixed, or are cause from user ignorance. ie how the problem is fixed. I will give you the international fact, but customer service is based on carrier... not GSM vs CDMA. Also Sprint outsourced Customer Care to IBM to remedy the problem... so it is getting better. I guess its all about where you are... and more importantly where you travel.