Page 38 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2833343536373839404142434888 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cingularguy1234
    I just called them also, they told me one or two days and the price was 249.99 but then the guy realized i was talking about the 650 and was so confused that he put me on hold for 20 minutes than said oh one or two days and the price is 849.99
    glad to see there is finally some certainty about the release of this phone
    Maybe you're correct (and I certainly hope you are,) but on the other hand no update on the P1 site, and another re-seller of unlocked GSM phones (Expansys) that I've been following still doesn't have an announced release price yet.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/product....O_650_GSM_GPRS

They've been taking pre-orders like this for since the Sprint version came out, and the whole time they've listed the expected release date as Jan 05 if I remember correctly. Might be that Expansys has also been told by P1 2 days, or monday, or something but that they are more conservative than others about posting prices/release info.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    The Motorola V710 on Verizon was THE worst

Your right, that one was bad. However, Palm needs the treo 650 to be a big success as all indications are that they are moving away from the handheld business to smartphones. This is their flagship product.
    [QUOTE=Hayswj]Like Felipe said T-mobile will unlock the phone upon request of a customer in good standings.. But Cingular send all of their world phones out-of-the-box unlocked. I just bought a phone for my wife last night the SE z500a and it was unlocked. A friends t-mobile sim worked just fine. From my friends that work at Cingular they say that since the new SE is unlocked there is no reason why the Treo 650 will not be unlocked also.

FWIW. I was just on Cingular's site and they have lowered the price of the Treo 600 down to $299.99. I would guess to get rid of units before the Treo 650 launches... So hopefully it will come within 2 weeks.. I'm dying for this thing...QUOTE]

I checked 2 Cingular stores yesterday evening (in NYC) and the Treos 600 were removed from display (and of course sold out)
    I was told that they were expecting a new shipment very soon (this month) and probably of the 650.

I tried a Nokia 6620 from Cingular and I can confirm that it was unlocked (worked perfectly with my T-Mo SIM; voice & data). If it's the same with the 650, even without contract, it should still be cheaper to get it from any Cingular store.
    I can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [QUOTE=brightcell]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayswj

FWIW. I was just on Cingular's site and they have lowered the price of the Treo 600 down to $299.99. I would guess to get rid of units before the Treo 650 launches... So hopefully it will come within 2 weeks.. I'm dying for this thing...QUOTE]
    I do not see the lowered price on cingular.com although that would be reassuring the t650 would be on its way out to stores
    If time and opportunity permits, see post #676 through 682 or so... A discussion about ZIP CODES and how Cingular bases the price of the phone according to your Zip code. Marketing stuff.
    I do not see the lowered price on cingular.com although that would be reassuring the t650 would be on its way out to stores
    EDIT: I just checked SF/Bay zip code/market and the price is $299.00 after rebate. I did not check Chattanooga, TN.
    It is on the Homepage www.cingular.com without entering any zipcode..

Here is the actual webpage it takes you to:

http://www.cingular.com/treo600
    wow thanks, that is really something
    It would really help if some people would read past posts. While Cingular may unlock for a customer, and the Treo 600 was unlocked, the Treo 650 WILL BE LOCKED:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,CASE=obj(16778)

Direct from palmOne. Why do people think they wouldn't post correct info? It's not like they have anything to gain by saying that Cingular will be locking it.

[QUOTE=brightcell]
    Like Felipe said T-mobile will unlock the phone upon request of a customer in good standings.. But Cingular send all of their world phones out-of-the-box unlocked. I just bought a phone for my wife last night the SE z500a and it was unlocked. A friends t-mobile sim worked just fine. From my friends that work at Cingular they say that since the new SE is unlocked there is no reason why the Treo 650 will not be unlocked also.

I checked 2 Cingular stores yesterday evening (in NYC) and the Treos 600 were removed from display (and of course sold out)
    I was told that they were expecting a new shipment very soon (this month) and probably of the 650.

I tried a Nokia 6620 from Cingular and I can confirm that it was unlocked (worked perfectly with my T-Mo SIM; voice & data). If it's the same with the 650, even without contract, it should still be cheaper to get it from any Cingular store.
    I can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I just called them also, they told me one or two days and the price was 249.99 but then the guy realized i was talking about the 650 and was so confused that he put me on hold for 20 minutes than said oh one or two days and the price is 849.99
    glad to see there is finally some certainty about the release of this phone
    Interesting. This gives us prices with which to compare the 600 and the 650. I cannot believe that the crippled 650 is worth $600- more than a 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    It would really help if some people would read past posts. While Cingular may unlock for a customer, and the Treo 600 was unlocked, the Treo 650 WILL BE LOCKED:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,CASE=obj(16778)

Direct from palmOne. Why do people think they wouldn't post correct info? It's not like they have anything to gain by saying that Cingular will be locking it.
    Whatever, if it is locked, which I can't find anyone at Cingular to confirm. I am sure Cingular will unlock it. If they won't, someone will find a way. They already promised me that they would, not that it matters because i am buying through VC and although everywehere it says that it will be unlocked there, people are arguing that the VC are going to be locked, which is WRONG. Why is this such an issue?
    I'm sure the units from VC will not be locked since this is what they stated.

But for those of us not able to get units from VC we need to get them someplace else. As a T-Mobile customer, I'm sure that if I buy a Treo 650 from Cingular they WILL NOT unlock it for me just to be nice unless I become a customer which I don't want to. Maybe someone will develop a hack to unlock, but don't you think that someone at P1 might have learned from last time and make it harder to unlock? Also I believe that last time the unlock trick originally required someone with an unlocked phone to figure out what to do. So there needs to be an unlocked one available someone to get this and most of us did not attend the VC seminars.

Finally, I really love all these comments that Cingular didn't lock phones before, or you can't find someone at Cingular to confirm (can you find someone at Cingular to confirm a date?). P1 has explicity said it will be locked. What is do hard to understand about that? If this doesn't matter to you fine, but why does everyone here seem to think they know more about the plans of P1 than P1?

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Whatever, if it is locked, which I can't find anyone at Cingular to confirm. I am sure Cingular will unlock it. If they won't, someone will find a way. They already promised me that they would, not that it matters because i am buying through VC and although everywehere it says that it will be unlocked there, people are arguing that the VC are going to be locked, which is WRONG. Why is this such an issue?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680

But for those of us not able to get units from VC we need to get them someplace else. As a T-Mobile customer, I'm sure that if I buy a Treo 650 from Cingular they WILL NOT unlock it for me just to be nice unless I become a customer which I don't want to. Maybe someone will develop a hack to unlock, but don't you think that someone at P1 might have learned from last time and make it harder to unlock? Also I believe that last time the unlock trick originally required someone with an unlocked phone to figure out what to do. So there needs to be an unlocked one available someone to get this and most of us did not attend the VC seminars.

Finally, I really love all these comments that Cingular didn't lock phones before, or you can't find someone at Cingular to confirm (can you find someone at Cingular to confirm a date?). P1 has explicity said it will be locked. What is do hard to understand about that? If this doesn't matter to you fine, but why does everyone here seem to think they know more about the plans of P1 than P1?
    There are many here that are GSM and Vienna Channel users. Where has it been determined that P1 would not sell concurrently with Cingular? Executives told me to my face that GSM version would be available from them UNLOCKED. (they did not specify a time though, so maybe this is a catch)

I had never seen that post before.. And it is very valid, but what I don't understand is why would a company (Cingular) who has a policy to have all their World Phones unlocked (previous and present) suddenly change it with the Treo 650.... It just doesn't make sense.. Just like it doesn't make sense why Palmone would say it is locked and it not be... So it is just another one of those wait and see things...
    I bought my 600 GSM from GSM Phones in Dec 2003. It became available at about the same time as from Cingular and before it was available from HS or P1. It was HS, not Cingular, branded. However, it did have Cingular software and, to this day, the Cingular logo shows up when it is registering on the network. It was not locked. I immediately put in my T-Mobile SIM; both voice and data worked without any further setup.

It is possible, not to say likely, that those GSM phones sold by Cingular will be locked to Cingular while the same phone will be available from distributors, unlocked, admittedly at a higher price but, at the same time.
    shopblt.com shows 638 Treo 650s Sprint on-hand with none on order. There qty 1 price is $618.42. That just makes my day.
    I had never seen that post before.. And it is very valid, but what I don't understand is why would a company (Cingular) who has a policy to have all their World Phones unlocked (previous and present) suddenly change it with the Treo 650.... It just doesn't make sense.. Just like it doesn't make sense why Palmone would say it is locked and it not be... So it is just another one of those wait and see things...
    Well one reason Cingular MIGHT change their policy about something all of a sudden, is that Cingular is not just Cingular any more. Cingular and AT&T WIreless are merging. Sure ATTWS no longer exists, but it is a work in progress as the two companies actually become one. Cingular didn't buy ATTWS just for their spectrum or their customers, there were other reasons too. Don't just expect ATTWS to be gobbled up, there were a lot of very talented people there, and some things are bound to change at the new Cingular as a result of these people's influence.

I can't comment on the fact that Cingular has sold phones unlocked in the past. And I can see them unlocking a phone for a good customer with a track record. But selling a phone at a loss just doesn't make sense. It is a bad idea, why should they subsidize the cost of a mobile they are selling to some other carrier's customer? Selling the 650 like that would be stupid. That doesn't mean they won't, but it does mean that they shouldn't.

Can I ask what everyone does with their unlocked phones? Seems like everyone is hot for one. Are you just using them on networks that don't carry the device, or is it something else? Curious. One reason some carriers don't carry a certain model of phone it because it does not pass thier internal testing standards.

Someone had commented that this really needs to be a hit for P1. Well that is probably why it is taking so long to get them out. If they are trying to make sure that the phone is as good as it can be before release it just takes longer. From the sound of it, I will assume that Sprint's internal testing program for mobiles is not so good. Maybe I am wrong, but there are a lot of problems I see listed with their version of the 650 on these forums. Looks like they just wanted the Christmas exclusive at all costs. ?
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Well one reason Cingular MIGHT change their policy about something all of a sudden, is that Cingular is not just Cingular any more. Cingular and AT&T WIreless are merging. Sure ATTWS no longer exists, but it is a work in progress as the two companies actually become one. Cingular didn't buy ATTWS just for their spectrum or their customers, there were other reasons too. Don't just expect ATTWS to be gobbled up, there were a lot of very talented people there, and some things are bound to change at the new Cingular as a result of these people's influence.

I can't comment on the fact that Cingular has sold phones unlocked in the past. And I can see them unlocking a phone for a good customer with a track record. But selling a phone at a loss just doesn't make sense. It is a bad idea, why should they subsidize the cost of a mobile they are selling to some other carrier's customer? Selling the 650 like that would be stupid. That doesn't mean they won't, but it does mean that they shouldn't.

Can I ask what everyone does with their unlocked phones? Seems like everyone is hot for one. Are you just using them on networks that don't carry the device, or is it something else? Curious. One reason some carriers don't carry a certain model of phone it because it does not pass thier internal testing standards.

Someone had commented that this really needs to be a hit for P1. Well that is probably why it is taking so long to get them out. If they are trying to make sure that the phone is as good as it can be before release it just takes longer. From the sound of it, I will assume that Sprint's internal testing program for mobiles is not so good. Maybe I am wrong, but there are a lot of problems I see listed with their version of the 650 on these forums. Looks like they just wanted the Christmas exclusive at all costs. ?

If you buy a phone without a plan, you will be paying the whole real price of the phone. However, if you buy it with a plan then you get some discounts, but you probably need to use the service for more than 1 or 2 years. I don't see how a cellphone company can lose money like that. Seriously, if I pay money for a phone then I have the right to do whatever I want with it. It would be different if I get it for free. At the end aren't they getting big bucks for the phone?

Al
    I spoke with Cingular last week. If you buy and unlocked phone, it doesn't make any difference because Cingular only offers 1 and 2 year contracts to its customers. I personally think the 2 year contract is insane. However, the only way you can get month to month services is to have completed a 1 year cotnract. So take all of the discount you can get up to 1 year. By that time, you'll want the new Treo 700.
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    If you buy a phone without a plan, you will be paying the whole real price of the phone. However, if you buy it with a plan then you get some discounts, but you probably need to use the service for more than 1 or 2 years. I don't see how a cellphone company can lose money like that. Seriously, if I pay money for a phone then I have the right to do whatever I want with it. It would be different if I get it for free. At the end aren't they getting big bucks for the phone?

Al
    One probable reason for locking phones may have resulted from Cingular needing to customize the phones to work "optimally" on their networks.
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey

It shouldn't matter to Cingular if it is unlocked or not.. If you buy a phone from them and get a discount you have a two year contract. To break it it is $175. They offer $150 off the retail $599 price, so they still make money. An d if you buy it from them no contract why do they care if you take it somewhere else to use it? They got full price for it. I am looking for an unlocked Treo 650 because I am currently with T-mobile, and want a Treo, but I can't stand the low res screen. When My contract is up in Sept. I will switch to Cingular, but I need a converged device soon. And I bet you will see unlocked Treo 650 on Palmone for $599 just like the treo 600. So again if it is the same price at palmone or with Cingular no contract why lock the phone. Now AT&T locked their phone and didn't allow you to unlock.. But they sold thier phones for a lower price.. They had to keep the customers...