Page 34 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2429303132333435363738394484 ... LastLast
    My advice is that you at least wait until Friday. PalmOne will be at CES and will have to say something definitive about their GSM plans. Beware of the dark side. Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. -- Yoda
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_monkey
    I've been reading this board for awhile looking for info on the GSM models, but I finally succumbed. I'm a T-Mobile customer w/ treo 270 and I decided to make the switch to Sprint CDMA. I can't imagine waiting another 6 months or more and then paying full price for the 650. T-Mobile is just too caught up with the Sidekick and their PocketPC phones and I don't think the Treo is a priority for them.

I bought the $369 (w/ rebate) deal on Amazon and I'm going to port my number. Free two-day shipping so I get it by this Tuesday. I tried to wait...but I just couldn't help myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Thunder,

By all means the get Fujitsu 40 inch. It's going to be a great TV as I will state below. But give a look at the comparable LCDs.

As you probably know, Fujitsu is the inventor of plama television and they have the most R & D $$$$ in plasma technology followed secondly Pioneer electronics. Plasma television is in its 8th or 9th generation with the release of the lastest TVs. You can't go wrong with Fujitsu and Pioneer since they have been the leaders all the way in quality. Plasmas are generally brighter than LCDs with wider viewing angles. After numerous generations of refinements to increase consumer confidence about dead pixels, video noise, displaced phosphorus and phosphorus stain, Fujitsu has basically solved the big problems. Their manufacturing technique has been perfected and it's a great product. The price of a Plasma per/inch is less expensive than an comparable LCD. It is my humble opinion that the lastest in plasma picture quality developments has brought us to the beginning of enhancements on LCD picture quality. The best plasmas are equal in quality to new high end LCDs. However, you have to look at each of these units feature by feature. Especially interfaces and the type of integrated technology. Some TVs are just monitors without ability to receive or process certain types of video signals. The highest signal standard for a television is a monitor with the microprocessing power to produce a 1080p picture on a screen with resolution of 1920 x 1080 -- using HDMI or DVI interfacing. There are not any broadcasters sending HD content at 1080p*, but it won't be long. I have been a Pioneer Elite fan for many years, but Sharp Aquos caught might attention because it processes at 1080p and has both of the interfaces I mentioned. Sorry for being so verbose in writing.

Knowing that you are a Treo 650 lover, I know you will be demanding in the type of electronics you outfit yourself with.

Edit:
    *1080p = the "p" stands for progressive scan. 1080i stands for interlace, which is 50% inferior to "p". I am warning you in case you see a TV boosting the "i" standard.
    thanks for the great info. i actually almost bought a sony plasma over this last weekend becasue i have always loved sony, but the salesperson at best buy told me that sony has been buying their plasma technolgy from others lately. he said it would be better to go with either the fijutsu, pioneer, or the panasonic. the only thing i miss going with the fijutsu is the large sizes that sony seems to offer. i saw a 60 inch plasma that had me going ga ga. i am going to research and see what larger sizes fijutsu offers.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Thunder,

I love Sony for their leadership and invention in tube television technology. The Trinitron was a major breakthrough in the 1970s for CRT/Tube television technology. So superior was Trinitron technology that it became the standard for broadcast monitors used in studios everywhere. In fact, it still is! However, Sony missed the boat so to speak on plasma and Fujitsu has taken a strong position. However, Fujitsu does have the "marketing might" that Sony, Pioneer and Panasonic have. By the way, Panasonic does make a very good plasma at a great price. But it's not the best stuff. If I were buying a 43" plasma today, I would probably settle on the Elite Pro 910 HD. Don't go into sticker shock over the MSRP, it probably about half that or less at your local high end electronics store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    thanks for the great info. i actually almost bought a sony plasma over this last weekend becasue i have always loved sony, but the salesperson at best buy told me that sony has been buying their plasma technolgy from others lately. he said it would be better to go with either the fijutsu, pioneer, or the panasonic. the only thing i miss going with the fijutsu is the large sizes that sony seems to offer. i saw a 60 inch plasma that had me going ga ga. i am going to research and see what larger sizes fijutsu offers.
    Sorry GSMers about all of the "off topic stuff" -- back to Treo 650 angst.
    no angst, just anticipation. This last week's events should be a prime illustration that it is just a handset. not really important, just fancy lace on the garter belt that is life
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Intresting projects,
    Any news on G5 powerbook.
    I need to upgrade my dying ol G4 powerbook.
    I would love to know when that is due to come out. I've gotten burned by buying one model when the next improved model was just a month off
    The only advice I can give to you gsm users is.....WAIT!!! The CDMA version has some serious problems as we know, with bluetooth, voice quality, and memory (as we all know when viewing this forum), and it only stands to reason, if it comes out soon, it will indeed have the same problems. I'm keeping my 600 till these issues are solved. I have NO desire to downgrade to a phone with all these problems. I want to upgrade when they are solved. (oh, and I can't wait for a g5 12 inch powerbook either, but sure hope it doesn't melt my polarfleece warmup pants!)
    As a GSM Treo 600 user now using a Treo 650 I can tell you it's not a downgrade. Most of the issues are being way overblown here. I don't it's fair that those without first hand experience are giving advice on a product they have not touched.

Sent from my "serious problems" CDMA 650!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I'll be on the look out for the G5 powerbook. I don't know what Apple has up its sleave. Here are some of the links that speculate on what they might be doing.http://www.macosrumors.com/122104D.php

This second site is what I use to cross-check my MacInfo.http://www.macrumors.com/ PalmOne used to come to this show, but they stopped a coming a couple of years ago.
    Thanks,
    I use that site also. I don't think apple is going to announce G5 powerbook in 05'.
    There may be some minor changes to existing models.
    I remember reading about G5 's heating issues which may be a major porblem in a laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I would love to know when that is due to come out. I've gotten burned by buying one model when the next improved model was just a month off
    My assumption from existing rumors would be at least 10 months,no official info yet.
    I bought a 80 gb Firefly Firewire smartdisk to free up space on my powerbook till than.
    Specimen 38, will keep us posted in next few weeks about any new developments.
    With apple announcing < $500 imac's, life will be much easy for us diehard Mac fans...
    Well stated. "just a handset on garter belt of life"
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    no angst, just anticipation. This last week's events should be a prime illustration that it is just a handset. not really important, just fancy lace on the garter belt that is life
    Who knows? I will be watching Steve's annual webcast on next Monday. He always has a surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Thanks,
    I use that site also. I don't think apple is going to announce G5 powerbook in 05'.
    There may be some minor changes to existing models.
    I remember reading about G5 's heating issues which may be a major porblem in a laptop.
    An interesting discussion about GSM phones and Cingular started over in the GSM Carriers forum yesterday. A TC member browsing Cingulars site for the GSM T650 discovered a new Nokia phone. As most of you know, visitors to the site are required to enter a Zip Code before viewing the selection of phones. When you enter Zip Code 10006 for NYC - you can see most and best selection of phones. Punch in 37402 the zip code for Chattanooga, TN and the choices are different. In California 94124 and New York, the Treo 600 is listed for 399.00 w/2year agreement and in Chattanooga it's listed for 499.00 w/2yr agreement.

When I was with ATT, I noticed rate plans varied as much as 5.00/month and 200 minutes between Zip Codes. Thoughts?
    it is official, it sucks to live in chattanooga, tn.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Generally the most competitive markets get the best selection & pricing.
    I would have to agree with Mr. Ed. Cingular is likely is likely to tailor their plans to be more competitive with other national and regional carriers. If someone like Dobson or Unicell were to offer some really attractive packages, Cingular would have to offer plans accordingly to attract and retain subscribers. On the national note, Cingular has to compete with T-Mo for the largest value based carrier.
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    10006 is very interesting indeed! I wonder if a Price Match is possible w/ an Amex card?

Also interesting is that the SX66 IS listed when you put THAT zhip in there....grrrrrrrrrr...
    Amex won't match internet prices any longer (for the last year or so).
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    I did some research when I bought a plasma TV last year. What I found was that some Sony models use Fujitsu plasma screen glass, but you'd want to investigate the particular model if you want a Sony w/ Fujitsu (they'll be easier to find than Fujitsu brand plasmas). Philips also uses Fujitsu plasma screen glass and mostly Fujitsu components for their plasma TVs, but they have a partnership with LG for their LCD TVs. The Philips 50" I saw at Best Buy is pretty sweet.

Both Panasonic and Pioneer manufacture their own plasma screen glass and the components and I've only heard good things about them (but they're HD plasmas are very pricey).
    Who knows? I will be watching Steve's annual webcast on next Monday. He always has a surprise.
    So that puts it on the 10th? Do you have a link to the webcast, or will it be streamed through QT?