Page 32 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2227282930313233343536374282132 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I guess that means T-Mobile users are stuck with paying full price for the phone. Yuck.
    Terrible,

We did sign an online petition for this, hopefully they will think about it.
    A personal request (chances less likely to succeed)
    Buy the most popular Tmobile phone at discounted price ,unlock it, ebay it. Use the extra $$$ to justify your purchase.
    Well, they had GSM models to play with at the Treo roadshows (at least the one I went to in Boston). I think the most useful things to dig at them about are 1) have the carriers given them a better sense of a release date, 2) will they release an unlocked version themselves (via the palmOne stores and online) before/concurrent with/after the first of the carriers, 3) do they have any firm details on the tweaks that the carriers have asked them to make to the GSM model (Bluetooth functionality mods, add-on/replacement utils, etc.), as opposed to the unlocked version they will sell.

At this point, the only announced carrier is Cingular, and it's likely that they'll defer most if not all of this to them for answers. But worth a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    What letter did you get ??? Mine definately says UNLOCKED but no hint towards anything else (especially the "having them already" part).

Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 12:05 PM
    To: Demo and sales customers
    Subject: Treo 650 GSM order status

We wanted to provide you and update that your Treo 650 GSM unlocked model order (works on any GSM network, ie. Cingular, AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile) is received and in our system.

We are awaiting inventory from the manufacturer and will notify you as soon as it is shipped to our facility. It may be 5-8 weeks before we can ship so we appreciate your patience. We know you are looking forward to receiving your Treo 650.

We will contact you as soon as inventory arrives and please know that if you are buying the device, no charges will be assessed your credit card until the date of shipment.

Vienna Channels
    palmOne Road Show Demo Program
    Here is my letter from Dec 23, ok, I admit he doesn't say he has them but definitely sounds like he is shooting for a simultaneous release. Again, I really think Sprint had the strong arm here not allowing Sprint Roadshow and Sprints release the same week. For GSM I don't think there will be any delay.
    Subject: Note from Joe at palmOne

Dear Road Show-er

Thanks again for attending the Treo Mobility Roadshow. This is Joe from
    palmOne. I'm writing to give you more information on the "Try a Treo"
    program that you signed up for. I want to highlight what I said at the
    Roadshow - this is not a store, but a program, with some limitations.

First status, followed by the backstory

So where are we -

CDMA world: we have hundreds of Sprint units right now with Roadshow-ers and
    353 Sprint requests remaining in the queue. I've put in another order for a
    few hundred units that released today from the factory. I also got more
    budget to order more, so that's in the works. This should help get most
    CDMA people covered relatively soon.

In the GSM world, no carrier is shipping yet, and I'm trying hard to get all
    the units I need in the queue to match the launch date of the carriers, but
    I can't guarantee timings.
    There are 519 of you in the GSM queue.
    Mtreosexual,

How about starting a T-Mobile 650 Users Thread? Find out how many potentital T-Mobile users are in TreoCentral and perhaps cross link it to Howards Forum. I recently contacted a Third Party manufacturer for another Treo 650 related product. We spoke over the phone. While on the phone, I asked him to browse to TreoCentral. Believe it or not, he wasn't aware to TreoCentral. He said, "I knew there were a lot of Treo users out there, but I did not knew about this." (referring to TC) I was able to make a compelling requests to him that he instruct his development department to make certain accomodations for the Treo 650. I have a working email address -perhaps T-Mobile's silence can be pierced: marketing@t-mobile.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Terrible,

We did sign an online petition for this, hopefully they will think about it.
    A personal request (chances less likely to succeed)
    Buy the most popular Tmobile phone at discounted price ,unlock it, ebay it. Use the extra $$$ to justify your purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Mtreosexual,

How about starting a T-Mobile 650 Users Thread? Find out how many potentital T-Mobile users are in TreoCentral and perhaps cross link it to Howards Forum.
    You can add me to that list. I'm a T-Mobile customer who will be leaving them for Cingular if they don't carry/support a T650.
    I am also a T-mobile user waiting for the 650.

:shortcut:
    Nokia???? -> 270 -> 650
    anyone know when the GSM will be available?
  8.    #628  
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy
    anyone know when the GSM will be available?
    That's the $1 million question.

Rumored between Mid-January to Early February. Take your pick.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Ok, I take responsibility for the wrong date under my "Cingular GSM Release Date" a few weeks ago. But that was based on a very good Cingular insider. It seems Cingular puts all phones through trials before they release, as I said they were doing with the Siemens SX66 weeks before it was released. The date of Dec 16/17 was set and then it was decided that the 650 was a no go. That is what has caused the delay. From my good source the word of today is that, because of "issues" the phone has been delayed probably towards the end of January, if not the first of Feb. He/she did not know if the current delay was because of "issues" that Cingular was rejecting the phone or because of Palm holding back because of "issues".

He/she could not give me anything other than the warehouse is saying "towards the end of Jan beginning of feb." That is the most I could get and it is not very helpful.

So really no news that is helpful to us now.
    Mtreosexual,

How about starting a T-Mobile 650 Users Thread? Find out how many potentital T-Mobile users are in TreoCentral and perhaps cross link it to Howards Forum. I recently contacted a Third Party manufacturer for another Treo 650 related product. We spoke over the phone. While on the phone, I asked him to browse to TreoCentral. Believe it or not, he wasn't aware to TreoCentral. He said, "I knew there were a lot of Treo users out there, but I did not knew about this." (referring to TC) I was able to make a compelling requests to him that he instruct his development department to make certain accomodations for the Treo 650. I have a working email address -perhaps T-Mobile's silence can be pierced: marketing@t-mobile.com
    Good idea.
    Will have to do a little research on this first, before intiating new thread
    More delays per Alter ego.....frustrating..........
    Right now its CDMA or wait for GSM T650.
    I hope the delay does not make it CDMA T700 or GSM T650
    and hence a revolutionary new thread.
    "Let us dump GSM T650 and wait few more months for CDMA T700".Who is with me?

Sharp has announced 65 inch LCD TV to be available in mid 2005.
    So, I will wait until than before upgrading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego
    Ok, I take responsibility for the wrong date under my "Cingular GSM Release Date" a few weeks ago. But that was based on a very good Cingular insider. It seems Cingular puts all phones through trials before they release, as I said they were doing with the Siemens SX66 weeks before it was released. The date of Dec 16/17 was set and then it was decided that the 650 was a no go. That is what has caused the delay. From my good source the word of today is that, because of "issues" the phone has been delayed probably towards the end of January, if not the first of Feb. He/she did not know if the current delay was because of "issues" that Cingular was rejecting the phone or because of Palm holding back because of "issues".

He/she could not give me anything other than the warehouse is saying "towards the end of Jan beginning of feb." That is the most I could get and it is not very helpful.

So really no news that is helpful to us now.
    From my Cingular sources they still are a go for mid January. One person even ventured to say that they should announce ~Jan 5th and the release will be Jan. 20th. I hope they are right I am dying for this phone... These are the same sources that have verified that there are thousands of boxed Treo 650s in a warehouse in Memphis waiting to be shipped out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayswj
    From my Cingular sources they still are a go for mid January. One person even ventured to say that they should announce ~Jan 5th and the release will be Jan. 20th. I hope they are right I am dying for this phone... These are the same sources that have verified that there are thousands of boxed Treo 650s in a warehouse in Memphis waiting to be shipped out...
    I hope you are right. My person is generally right on but usually has time to dig for information. Right now he/she is dealing with christmas issues and merge issues, ATT/Cing, that seem to plague every market that open towers to both customers in. This person got info from the warehouse and said it was vague.

What I don't get is if these units are sitting in a warehouse waiting to ship, because of issues, does that mean that we are going to immediately put patches updating the units when we get them? I can't imagine Cingular is going to update each phone in the warehouse, already boxed.

I am hoping your time line is right. Even if Vienna Channels releases the third week of Jan, it still would be in line with their original 5-8 week email.
    It's all just pure speculation. When people suddenly pop up here for the first time with "inside sources" and dates it just makes me wonder even more (no offfense to the poster of the info, I'm hoping he's correct). EVENTUALLY someone has to be right if for nothing else the pure luck of guessing the right week or month. The general consensus has always been January due to the alleged Sprint Exclusivity "deal" until EOY '04.

If there are "thousands of boxes" sitting in a warehouse (and I don't doubt that for a second) filled with "issues" that the CDMA version has, there is NO WAY in he11 that they'll be fixing them for release in even six weeks. They certainly could release them soon "as-is" but that's a pretty lousy idea ... and probably that's exactly what they are going to do.
    And how was this verified? Did they see the boxes themselves? If so, send a picture and I'll be convinced, otherwise I don't believe this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayswj
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    just think february. you probably wont be disappointed.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I may be with you on CDMA T700. I'm tired of waiting. I have to buy a new phone before March 15, 2005 so I might get something else. Samsung, HelloMoto, BenQ P50 might come out. I am changing my focus to the Sharp LCD TV -- 65 inches. I hope they show it at CES.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Good idea.
    Will have to do a little research on this first, before intiating new thread
    More delays per Alter ego.....frustrating..........
    Right now its CDMA or wait for GSM T650.
    I hope the delay does not make it CDMA T700 or GSM T650
    and hence a revolutionary new thread.
    "Let us dump GSM T650 and wait few more months for CDMA T700".Who is with me?

Sharp has announced 65 inch LCD TV to be available in mid 2005.
    So, I will wait until than before upgrading.
    ...<snip>...I am changing my focus to the Sharp LCD TV -- 65 inches. I hope they show it at CES.
    I want big LCD TV, too!
    Yes, I am thinking about upgrading to 600 myself. Should I keep waiting for the 650?

:shortcut:
    Nokia???? -> 270 -> 650
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I read a number of posts on another forum about how Cingular does not cover any of their highest priced phones with their insurance. The Treo 650 will not be covered, nor is the 600. Since the 650 will probably cost $600 (mayber $500) from Cingular when it comes out I would rather just buy something better, and unlocked, from overseas...for the same price! Its not like I'd be missing out on the insurance coverage...

There are ALOT of cool smartphones coming out and the Treo has them beat in many respects, I kinda miss some WM features that the Treos don't offer...
    GSMers,

MisterEd and Felipe have got it right. Nobody is an insider. We're all outsiders guessing. I will have no more anxiety about the GSM Treo 650 and its release date. I do still think it's a tragedy that PalmOne does not have simultaneous release of their CDMA and GSM products. I will buy be resigned to buy a T650 if one is available. However, I will be monitoring closely the release of the BenQ P50 -- because who really knows when we will see the T650.