Page 30 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2025262728293031323334354080130 ... LastLast
    according to the dec 16th conf call, p1 has strong interest from its current carrier partners and believes they will all be carrying the 650 withinn the next 2 quarters.

they implied the delay was with the internal testing process of the carriers.

they didnt give any clue on who would be the first gsm carrier or even if the first gsm carrier will release the phone in the upcoming quarter or in the next quarter.

btw, they sold 332,000 treos in this quarter. they didnt break it down, but one could assume that was mostly 600.

the analyst never really any good questions. they didnt ask when one could expect the gsm treo. they didnt ask about the memory issues. they did ask about future product.. palm decline to answer.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Originally I would have agreed with you 100% ..... but now with all the "issues" they MAY be calling them back for update before release either on their own or because the carriers rejected them. WORSE case is they are holding them boxed in some warehouse ready to release on Jan 5th in their original buggy condition. Frankly I'd prefer waiting a few more weeks for "deloused" versions especially considering Cingular & AT&T won't insure the suckers beyond factory warranty.
    How about this one Since the Reps at the show were using GSM phone & They seemed fine Maybe the the "Sound Quaility" Issues Only exist on the CDMA versions , Or is that too much to hope For..

BTW MisterEd Your just about running out of room with your graphic Got a New one planned for the New Year?
    On 11/19 i got this:

We wanted to provide you and update that your Treo 650 GSM unlocked model order (works on any GSM network, ie. Cingular, AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile) is received and in our system.

We are awaiting inventory from the manufacturer and will notify you as soon as it is shipped to our facility. It may be 5-8 weeks before we can ship so we appreciate your patience. We know you are looking forward to receiving your Treo 650.

We will contact you as soon as inventory arrives and please know that if you are buying the device, no charges will be assessed your credit card until the date of shipment.

Jeff Marinangel
    Vienna Channels
    palmOne Road Show Demo Program
    tomorrow, the 24th, will be the end of the 5th week. I got a feeling we wont be seeing any shipments of gsm phone in the next 3 weeks.
    Felipe
    I don't think GSM TREO 650 exists .
    I have been watching the PLMO and Palmsource news at the office daily. It appears, the 650 after a BIG opening, is slowing down, more than they expected (well DUH, so many of us are telling folks to wait!!!) Will be interesting to see what whole new crop of problems show up in GSM. Or, if we are lucky, they will be fixed by the time the GSM version comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    it exist, i've seen it.
    Felipe
    All the Palm employees and vendors had them at the Roadshows. They were AT&T branded. Whether they were "pre-release" beta versions or final versions just not released due to Sprint exclusivity or carrier testing I have no idea.
    My brother-in-law used to work for Cingular and still has any managers as friends, and they say that there are plenty of Treo 650 in the warehouse in Memphis, TN.. But they are still in a testing phase.. And don't know when they will be released. But they do exist, boxed somewhere.... Talking to other cingular reps, I have heard first of Jan, mid Jan, as far out as Mid. Feb. I am hoping for the Jan 1st...
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    according to the dec 16th conf call, p1 has strong interest from its current carrier partners and believes they will all be carrying the 650 withinn the next 2 quarters........
    Note that the unit of time has gone from weeks to months to quarters. P1 calls that integrity.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    All the Palm employees and vendors had them at the Roadshows. They were AT&T branded. Whether they were "pre-release" beta versions or final versions just not released due to Sprint exclusivity or carrier testing I have no idea.
    Just expressing my frustrations. I know all that
    Your avatar is funny.
    Let me guess.hmmm.....
    L@u dobbs pushing Mark...!!
    Last edited by Mtreosexual; 12/24/2004 at 12:01 PM.
    Mtreosexual,

Look at it from this stand-point. Thank goodness, you aren't a Verizon or T-Mobile customer. You wouldn't see the T650 until the summer of 2005. Certainly, I am embellishing a bit, but I don't think that is too far off the mark. By this time next month, you'll have a T650 in your hands, that is of course, if you are not waiting on VC.

I am going to the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas on January 6th. I will have a better grasp of things when I return. I'll be looking at those LCDs also.
    Just expressing my frustrations. I know all that
    Your avatar is funny.
    Let me guess.hmmm.....
    L@u dobbs pushing Mark...!!
    Are you talking about an unlocked GSM or cingular branded GSM?
    Unfortunately i am with Tmobile and there ROCK SOLID T600 for last 6 months.
    Absolutely no complains..
    Do you think cingular T 650 can not be used with Tmobile ?
    I believe you can, as was told by my Tmobile rep.
    BTW,Keep me posted about LCD TV..
    Will cancel some medical conferences next year for one of these consumer electronic shows,bet they are fun to visit..
    No you won't be able to use the Cingular 650 on T-Mobile.

Here is an article in the knowledge base on P1 website. It shows that although the Cingular 600 was unlocked, the Cingular 650 will be locked to Cingular. This stinks, but P1 is confirming it. The only hope is an unlocked GSM or T-Mobile. Like others, I expect T-Mobile to be the last GSM carrier (like it was with the 600) so it could be a long wait. My biggest concern is that with the 600, they did not release the unlocked GSM in the U.S. until the T-Mobile was released also. If that happens again, it will mean a very long wait or a huge price for trying to get an unlocked from Asia or Europe.

Will cancel some medical conferences next year for one of these consumer electronic shows,bet they are fun to visit..
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    How bout asking the mighty shadowmite and gang for unlocking cingular 650 ?
    Should n't be a big deal as you can unlock any GSM T 600 easily esp Tmobile or cingular.
    Tmobile will take another 6 months before they adopt 650.
    I do n't understand, why P1would be so dumb not to offer unlocked GSM T650 to the rest of the world?
    No wonder P1 stocks are downhill....
    They are in desperate need for some analytical thinking.
    Ah.. What do i know about management ?

Completing the 600th post on this thread..
    Last edited by Mtreosexual; 12/24/2004 at 10:44 PM.
    Mtreosexual and Bcaslis,

I am of the opinion that version of GSM Palm Treo 650 will be widely available in January either through PalmOne or Cingular. http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wire...sp?phoneid=597

There will vendors like the one in the link above who will be happy to sell it unlocked for a bounty. Last time, customers waited for months. I truly don't believe that scenario will play out. The Palm rep who conducted the online "live chat" here at TreoCentral was explicit in saying "...the GSM version will be generally available in January." It was late October when he initially said that. And I remember not liking the sound of it. But the eventuality is apparent. Also, there is a new Palm store (not a kiosk) that just opened up in San Jose. It is the first of its kind. It operates in a busy mall. I don't believe PalmOne will operate this store like an appendage. There is a international community that wants to get there hands on an unlocked phone. I believe that's going to happen in January.

http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wire...sp?phoneid=597

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    No you won't be able to use the Cingular 650 on T-Mobile.

Here is an article in the knowledge base on P1 website. It shows that although the Cingular 600 was unlocked, the Cingular 650 will be locked to Cingular. This stinks, but P1 is confirming it. The only hope is an unlocked GSM or T-Mobile. Like others, I expect T-Mobile to be the last GSM carrier (like it was with the 600) so it could be a long wait. My biggest concern is that with the 600, they did not release the unlocked GSM in the U.S. until the T-Mobile was released also. If that happens again, it will mean a very long wait or a huge price for trying to get an unlocked from Asia or Europe.
    Last edited by specimen38; 12/26/2004 at 08:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Mtreosexual and Bcaslis,

There is a international community that wants to get there hands on an unlocked phone. I believe that's going to happen in January.
    Agreed, if BenQ's P50 doesn't get there first. I prefer the Palm OS but could be swayed by the P50. Unlike the SX66 (or Blue Angel) its form factor is more Treo 650 like.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Quote Originally Posted by eugarps
    Agreed, if BenQ's P50 doesn't get there first. I prefer the Palm OS but could be swayed by the P50. Unlike the SX66 (or Blue Angel) its form factor is more Treo 650 like.

Second quarter of 2004 will be gone in 7 days.
    Where is Ben Q ??
    I played with two up close at Road, all GSM, none branded, none production model. Peter Skillman uses T-mobile. They said at the Roadshow that the GSM phones that P1 sells will not be locked.
    I certainly hope a GSM unlocked will be available in January. I just have my doubts. And I believe I mentioned this before, don't take one vendor with a listing as proof. That same vendor had the Motorola Razr V3 listed as being available 9/10/2004 for $599. They didn't have it until November and the price was $749.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Second quarter of 2004 will be gone in 7 days.
    Where is Ben Q ??
    Guess it depends on whether they're using calendar year or fiscal year and, if fiscal year, whether they start that year in June or October..... I guess it's fuitless to speculate on when a particular product will be released. It would seem to be fiscal suicide for P1 to ignore the world market much longer though. The Treo 600 was not much of a success overseas and now they're killing the 650's chances. Makes no sense to me.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!