Page 24 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1419202122232425262728293474124 ... LastLast
    I just bought the treo600 less than 3mths ago...shoulda have waited but it's an unlocked GSM version and I love it...will definitely wait for the GSM version of 650...then I will sell my 600 one...
    Bumping by question from the last page in case someone didn't see it... Here's a question I have from another thread, hopefully you can help me. How do you guys do it?? What if you accidentally dropped the phone and you get a huge crack on your touchscreen?? What do you do???

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Quote Originally Posted by jposin
    Every cell provider makes their own decision to offer insurance, and who to get coverage from. Sprint and I believe also Verizon do offer coverage for Treos. Cingular does NOT cover Treos. Lockline just does what the carrier wants (and pays for). If you for some reason are paying $$ to Cingular (?old phone) and think that it will cover your new Treo, do not be fooled. Some folks have skirted the issue by buying smartphones at BestBuy or the like and getting their coverage, or looking for 3rd party insurance. You could also add your Treo to your scheduled personal articles on your homeowners policy.
    I was considering switching to Cingular, or at least trying out GSM and EDGE against the Sprint equivalent for comparison. But this is definitely very bad news to hear. I'm probably not even going to bother thinking about Cingular anymore, unless anyone has a better solution than buying it from BestBuy and using their incomplete insurance. What other companies would provide insurance (comparable to lockline) for the Cingular 650??
    Quote Originally Posted by brightcell
    Speaking of Treo 650 GSM, I was reading this review:
    http://blog.treonauts.com/2004/10/treonauts_verdi.html

The device was definitely a GSM version on AT&T (pics). At any time, the reviewer mentioned all the sound/clarity issues that others have on Sprint.

FYI, I spoke to 2 different Cingular store managers (in NYC) and both told me that they should have the 650 at the beginning of January.

Holding my breath.....
    I hope so...I saw the pics of the Siemens SX 66 and that thing makes the Treo 650 a memory for me. I want the 650 but,...the sx 66 is here and the 650 is not!
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Regarding the shortmail sms problem, just change the settings to be sms only and not email. Not too difficult to fix that one.

Regarding the diatribe regarding sprint...As has been said before in this forum....apparently there are some strong feelings regarding cdma or gsm etc. Hey, its an easy choice. You should buy where you get the best performance/coverage in the area where you use your phone most!

GSM does not have what I would call stellar service in our area here. (Indy area) while Sprint specific cdma has very good service. Verizon btw, is ok, but spotty.

Also, Don't take that edge map as gospel. That map has edge in Indy, and cingular around here is pretty vague if it is really offered here yet.

I couldn't care less which carrier I use, I just want it to work! Which also means, I am holding off moving up from my 600, to let some of these "issues" work themselves out.
    yes but when will cingular have the 650....when when when?
    You know I started out so enthused about getting this phone, but now, with all the reported problems...sticky keys, poor phone sound quality, constant resets, low memory...I'm not sure buying this phone is still a good idea! Sounds like a constant pain in the a$$ to me...

I think I'll keep monitoring things here on Treo Central, but for now I'm just going to forget about rushing out to buy this.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    Don't let all the bad stuff get you down. You almost always hear the complaints and the bad stuff, not the good.

IMHO the biggest screams are coming from Treo 600 users who want it to be exactly like the 600 "what the favorites are different", "what the PIM apps are improved". I think there are lots of neat little improvements in it, but some people can't handle change easily.

FYI, I rushed to get the GSM Treo 600 when it first came out. I don't regret it at all. In the first month I have two dead 600s that had to be replaced by Handspring. I got the Treo 270 when it first came out and had two dead ones in 10 days and gave up on it for several months.

I'm on my second Treo 650 in 12 days right now. The first one was perfect except there was a stuck blue pixel in the middle of the screen. I was actually not real hot to return it. If I had tried to exchange an Apple laptop for the same problem, a store would normally refuse since their policy is stuck pixels are normal. I asked at the store and they almost insisted on replacing it. The second one was fine except the battery cover was a very tiny bit looser than the first one (just enough for a small squeak now and then). I used the "velcro" fix in other threads (the foam piece in this one was a little too thin, a piece of the soft side of velcro is just enough to fit perfectly).

I would greatly prefer a GSM one, but Sprint has worked much better than I expected. The data speeds are alot faster than my 600 on T-Mobile. Unless there is a Cingular announcement in the next two days, I will be keeping it until there is a GSM one (and maybe beyond depending on what gets announced).

I really don't think the 650 is generally flawed. I'm sure there are bad units out there. This especially happens on first runs of new complex technology like this. In my mind the 650 is heads and shoulders better than the 600. The only real valid complaint I see is that memory is less efficient than the 600. For me it's not really a problem. For those who kept their 600 at 90%+ full then it will be a problem. These people seem to forgot that P1 kept the memory at 32MB to keep price down so they could walk out the store with one at an equal or less price than they paid last time for a much less feature rich product.

Quote Originally Posted by paris
    You know I started out so enthused about getting this phone, but now, with all the reported problems...sticky keys, poor phone sound quality, constant resets, low memory...I'm not sure buying this phone is still a good idea! Sounds like a constant pain in the a$$ to me...

I think I'll keep monitoring things here on Treo Central, but for now I'm just going to forget about rushing out to buy this.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    The last time I heard from my GAM (Global Account Manager) is that 650 will available to AT&T Wireless's Business customer on December 17th (this Friday), but I've heard people over at HowardForums that it could be delayed, but will be out before Christmas. Don't quote me on this but I did posted some of those threads:

One
    Two
    waiting...I heard that it goes on cingular sale on dec. 5th (source: Engadget)
    bcaslis
    What I am worried about, even though I will be sticking with sprint, is when the gsm DOES arrive, you folks will have the exact same problems the sprint phones are having. Mainly, what seems to be a large number of microphone problems. It seems to have something to do with the noise cancelling in the microphone, or so the consensus is. The folks with that problem say it is so bad, the memory issue is iconsequential! That is the issue I am waiting for most, and IMHO, I think folks here might consider waiting to see what the reports are on the microphone. Some of those guys have gone through 3 or 4 phones, and are still having the problems!

I dont think verizon, or tmobile, cingular, att, etc is going to make any difference on a hardware issue like that, if that indeed is what is causing it.
    Very, very few consumer products are announced and released on Fridays. Unless -- you are talking about the release of a movie shown at a movie theatre. All new DVD movie releases occur on Tuesday. Marketing rule of thumb = release new product on Monday/Tuesday. For instance, the Treo 650 was announced Monday October 25th. Then Monday November 8th PalmOne announced the start of taking preorders for Sprint labeled phones. Perhaps something is different this time -- I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsmooth
    The last time I heard from my GAM (Global Account Manager) is that 650 will available to AT&T Wireless's Business customer on December 17th (this Friday)
    Last edited by specimen38; 12/15/2004 at 06:46 PM.
    [QUOTE=jrsmooth]The last time I heard from my GAM (Global Account Manager) is that 650 will available to AT&T Wireless's Business customer on December 17th (this Friday)[QUOTE]

A week ago I heard from a very good source at Business source at Cingular that the date was the 16th. But, trying to coordinate that with another really good source at Cingular, s/he can't find information on the 650 release date. And the second source is the one that told me over week ago that they had the SX66 in their hands (which they did apparently because of this weeks release). Hopefully this week.
    Dec 5th? Uhhhhh ... 2005 ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner
    waiting...I heard that it goes on cingular sale on dec. 5th (source: Engadget)
    Just got a big color Cingular catalog (sent to AT&T customers). It has the SX66 and a bunch of other not yet released new phones in it + all the old phones but doesn't even mention the Treo 600 (yes 600) or 650. Maybe that means AT&T B2B will have a short exclusive on it.
    I talked with my ATT rep and got some info on the Treo 650 and SX66.

ATT has the Treo 650 and is in the 400 hr test period. He said if the testing goes through with out any problems, we are looking at the last week of the year or the first week of January. He also said they were fixing the memory issue, so the testing must include a new firmware. The SX66 is ONLY available to Cingular, ATT can not sell these yet. He said that is due to the inventory systems of the two companies have yet to merge. They call it the orange and blue inventories. So time will tell when ATT will get the SX66. Just wanted to share the info that I got today, so take it for what itís worth.
    Call him back and find how exactly are they fixing the memory issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    Call him back and find how exactly are they fixing the memory issue?
    He wasnít sure how they were fixing the issue, Iím guessing a firmware update. He just said that Sprint was doing itís ďtestingĒ with itís customers and found out the hard way on the memory issue. So ATT/Cingular decided to fix the problem BEFORE it is released to the users. Thatís nice of them to do testing/bug fix before releasing it to us. Of course, take it for what itís worth, it coming from an account manager.
  18.    #478  
    Now that Sprint is buying Nextel, who will move to Sprint for the possible Push-to-Talk feature in the near future (aka ReadyLink) on Treo 650?

Or do you think that PTT won't happen on the 650?
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    The 650 has the ability with the extra button.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
  20.    #480  
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzydiver
    The 650 has the ability with the extra button.
    But has anyone heard of any phone who can do PTT on the GSM network?
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)