Page 23 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324252627283373123 ... LastLast
  1.    #441  
    GSM vs CDMA is like VHS vs Betamax.

Even though Betamax was a better technology, it's extinct due to the lack of popularity.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Not to knock GSM, but the U.S. and South Korea are heavy CDMA users. 3G is WCDMA (not WGSM) so eventually both CDMA and GSM users will be going there.

I think that GSM definitely has advantages on the world wide side. But comparing CDMA to Betamax is not a good analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    GSM vs CDMA is like VHS vs Betamax.

Even though Betamax was a better technology, it's extinct due to the lack of popularity.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    For all the GSM holdouts. Cingular just released the GSM version of the PPC-6601, called the SX6600. It is a super cool converged phone/pda, GSM, Wi-fi, Camera, 128MB, BT 1.2, BT DUN, BT Headsets, everything the Treo 650 wants to be when it grows up.

Check it out. If GSM is your thing (very slow data), then this could be your baby TODAY.
    Yeah the HTC Harrier also known as the PDA2k on other providers

That has been a huge debate back and forth to which one to get.

Myself, i want the treo 650, sole reason EDGE. Its time i move up in life as my provider has gone live with EDGE since June 1 i believe (of 2004).

However i will be happier when rogers gets it (i preferred to get a rogers authentic phone). But if they wont get it (which is not true from what i am hearing) i will consider the unlocked version of course. Everyday i look at my Treo 600 in the box in the corner of my room. I hear it cry at night ^_^

Back to the Harrier. It looks great dont get me wrong, and I really want a Windows OS smartphone, however with no EDGE it makes me cry (just like the iPaq h6315), and wlel i hear that activesync and the stability of a PPC os is very hit and miss

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=569
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=570

But of course there is always the Brick phone the Nokia 9500 Communicator which comes fully loaded, or the dumbed down version the 9300. But man i have gotten so used to touch screen that i miss it big time with my new blackberry
    GadetLuvR,

You said, "Very slow data" -- where? In the SF Bay Area, GPRS data rates consistently seem equal, and mostly faster on a Treo 600 than Sprint data rates. Especially between downtown Oakland and Emeryville, CA. My experiences with Sprint data outside of the Bay Area are null, so I guess I have to take everyone's word for it. It just surprises me to hear so many people raving about Sprint data speeds. Because it's not my experience here. The SF Bay/Northern Cali is one of the regions in country where it's very good to be a GSMer.

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetLuvR
    For all the GSM holdouts. Cingular just released the GSM version of the PPC-6601, called the SX6600. Check it out. If GSM is your thing (very slow data), then this could be your baby TODAY.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    GadetLuvR,

You said, "Very slow data" -- where? In the SF Bay Area, GPRS data rates consistently seem equal, and mostly faster on a Treo 600 than Sprint data rates. Especially between downtown Oakland and Emeryville, CA. My experiences with Sprint data outside of the Bay Area are null, so I guess I have to take everyone's word for it. It just surprises me to hear so many people raving about Sprint data speeds. Because it's not my experience here. The SF Bay/Northern Cali is one of the regions in country where it's very good to be a GSMer.
    Do we know whether or not the 650 supports EDGE or UMTS?
    GadetLuvR,

You are right, same is true here, again I have both. But it's they only thing that Sprint arguers have left. Pin Drop, please more like call drop. Data for SPrint here is not faster than GSM, It seems in other areas Sprint is a little faster. At the same time in the speed reports there was many areas in which Sprint dipped way below. But in another month the point is moot as we will have EDGE with the 650.
    Okay, so you agree that GSM is very slow, however, you argue that Sprint, in your specific areas, is also slow. Well, that is very sad. A lot of people are fortunate that Sprint is not as slow as GSM in every area.

I think the VZN option, with EV-DO is probably the best way to go, but that also might not be an option for you.

If GSM is the only choice for you, then I guess it is something you have to live with. It sounds sad, maybe another option will open one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    EDGE- yes

WCDMA-no
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Okay, so you agree that GSM is very slow, however, you argue that Sprint, in your specific areas, is also slow. Well, that is very sad. A lot of people are fortunate that Sprint is not as slow as GSM in every area.

I think the VZN option, with EV-DO is probably the best way to go, but that also might not be an option for you.

If GSM is the only choice for you, then I guess it is something you have to live with. It sounds sad, maybe another option will open one day.
    NotsoBright,
    No, I didn't say it was slow, I said that my Sprint data speeds were not noticably faster. My data speeds are great, and with the merger are even better as reported by all Cingular/ATT users on this board whose markets have merged.

Not so bright, I have a question. If this were so earth shaking of an issue, why wouldn't I jump ship? You supposedly pay less and get better service. Cingular, unlike Sprint does not require me to resign a contract when they give me phone rebates. I have not been under contract since Cingular was PacBell. So it would be easy to go to Sprint if that were my wish. Cingular, for me, has awesome coverage, data speeds, reliable sms and best of all customer service. I am the happy one, I am not the Sad loser Sprint user who is trolling this board, which does not pertain to you and trashing your service, am I? I feel sad for you.

GSM users take note, again nothing to argue on except data speed, and EDGE supposedly will increase our already improved data speeds.
    waiting..... as usual.
    I had Sprint for 6 years. I switched to Cingular 2 months ago. I consistenly get equal or better data speeds on my edge-enabled phone (6230b) as I did on my Sprint Treo 600. I would imagine the 650 would be comparable.
    The SX66 just came out on Cingular. It has WiFi, Blue Tooth, SD card slot, 400Mhz processor, 64mb rom, 128mb ram, quad gsm/gprs. No camera however.

http://www.siemenswireless.com/inter...h.html?content

This is a pocket PC phone which I have never used Pocked PC before.

Quick guys, tell me why it would be a mistake to get this SX66 instead of waiting for the 650.

I don't know how long I can wait for the 650, my impulsive buyer nature is taking over as we speak. Please hurry set me straight.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Latin Traveler
    The SX66 just came out on Cingular. It has WiFi, Blue Tooth, SD card slot, 400Mhz processor, 64mb rom, 128mb ram, quad gsm/gprs. No camera however.

Quick guys, tell me why it would be a mistake to get this SX66 instead of waiting for the 650.

I don't know how long I can wait for the 650, my impulsive buyer nature is taking over as we speak. Please hurry set me straight.

Thanks.
    This looks like the PDA2K, which has been compared extensively in another thread to the 650. (Every other day I debate going with this phone myself, so I don't have a strong preference one way or the other, although I do say to myself that if I decided on the 650 as the best phone for my needs then I shouldn't switch just because I'm impatient.)

Anyway I think you should search for PDA2K here on Treocentral and see for yourself what others have to say about this phone.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers

Thanks.
    Latin and BooBoo,
    I too, am in this boat. I was considering it. Why don't you order it, try it out for 30 days. The keyboard looks awkward to me, but some report it is better.

I just don't want to hassle the return. I tell you if the 700, 750, 800 or whatever does not make some big improvments, I will jump ship next go round, otherwise I hope I will be happy with 650. Also I am disappointed SX66 no camera.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Thanks.
    Form factor. The Treo 650 is a bit smaller and easier to carry on you belt.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    100thMonkey is absolutely right.

Treo 650:
    EDGE = Yes
    UMTS/WCDMA = No, not supported

SF/Oakland/San Jose Bay Area
    EDGE = Yes, available on GSM
    UMTS/WCDMA = Yes, available on GSM

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    100thMonkey is absolutely right.

Treo 650:
    EDGE = Yes
    UMTS/WCDMA = No, not supported

SF/Oakland/San Jose Bay Area
    EDGE = Yes, available on GSM
    UMTS/WCDMA = Yes, available on GSM
    DANG IT!!! I'm moving to San Francisco!! Everybody reports that they have better data speeds than anywhere else in the country. It must be nice to have a data network that the rest of us won't see for another year or two.
    Here's a question I have from another thread, hopefully you can help me. How do you guys do it???
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Quote Originally Posted by jposin
    Every cell provider makes their own decision to offer insurance, and who to get coverage from. Sprint and I believe also Verizon do offer coverage for Treos. Cingular does NOT cover Treos. Lockline just does what the carrier wants (and pays for). If you for some reason are paying $$ to Cingular (?old phone) and think that it will cover your new Treo, do not be fooled. Some folks have skirted the issue by buying smartphones at BestBuy or the like and getting their coverage, or looking for 3rd party insurance. You could also add your Treo to your scheduled personal articles on your homeowners policy.
    I was considering switching to Cingular, or at least trying out GSM and EDGE against the Sprint equivalent for comparison. But this is definitely very bad news to hear. I'm probably not even going to bother thinking about Cingular anymore, unless anyone has a better solution than buying it from BestBuy and using their incomplete insurance. What other companies would provide insurance (comparable to lockline) for the Cingular 650??
    Speaking of Treo 650 GSM, I was reading this review:
    http://blog.treonauts.com/2004/10/treonauts_verdi.html

The device was definitely a GSM version on AT&T (pics). At any time, the reviewer mentioned all the sound/clarity issues that others have on Sprint.

FYI, I spoke to 2 different Cingular store managers (in NYC) and both told me that they should have the 650 at the beginning of January.

Holding my breath.....