Page 22 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223242526273272122 ... LastLast
    What can we say after drbuzzo's post?
    I am still waiting on GSM, who is with me?

drbuzzo's experience is not my experience in the SF/Oakland Bay Area. We have UMTS networks running from Richmond to San Jose. If the Treo 650 had UMTS data protocol my level of personal satisfaction would be close to nervana. However, I'll take the EDGE network until that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by drbuzzo
    GSM Sucks so unbelievably much.

GSM is an OLD standard, based on TDMA, the great-grandaddy of CDMA. GSM infact is TDMA and it comes with some of the lovely features of TDMA:

1. Less effecient sharing of bandwidth (ie: lots of people on in a cell, lots less bandwidth)
    2. Less penitrating power - The modulation of gsm makes it inherantly a less strong signal that will not as easily penitrate walls and buildings.
    3. More lost bits, meaning slower, lagier speeds.
    4. Less bandwidth per channel - Crappier call quality
    5. Completely insecure. It can be cracked with a 486.

GSM can die a long painful death and rot in hell where it belongs

-Steve
    Last edited by specimen38; 12/11/2004 at 11:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    By the way, sprint (at least here in California) was the worse provider EVER about 1 1/2 years ago. Nothing even came close to it (maybe nextel).

Verizon CDMA (and now Sprint) is a very strong network. Coverage almost anywhere.

I wouldn't underestimate GSM coverage in the USA anymore though. With Cingular/ATT combined coverage its AMAZING now. I would say before the merger I had 90-95% coverage. Now its in the 99% for sure.
    And Cingular/ATT has soo many towers that they're probably going to be forced to sell some. Which only benefits T-Mobile's coverage in reality. Clearly, the networks will very by location. But I have found Sprint and Cingular to be the only two worth considering. I have a few friends on Verizon, and they always say that Verizon has the best network because of the "Can you hear me now?" commercials, but Verizon doesn't even work while they're inside their own homes. It boggles the mind that they kept their phones after the trial period, knowing that they would have to keep it for 2 years. Anyway...Sprint Rules, and Cingular does too, but they're the ones playing catch up.
    Yes, but although Sprint has the right idea for data ($15 unlimited per month) Cingular is still stuck in the AT&T mode of trying to charge through the roof for data. Although you can get data $20 per month apparently the official line is $40 per month for a PDA phone. Only Sprint and T-Mobile seem to have their act together on data. And to be honest in the areas I travel in T-Mobile coverage has been excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    And Cingular/ATT has soo many towers that they're probably going to be forced to sell some. Which only benefits T-Mobile's coverage in reality. Clearly, the networks will very by location. But I have found Sprint and Cingular to be the only two worth considering. I have a few friends on Verizon, and they always say that Verizon has the best network because of the "Can you hear me now?" commercials, but Verizon doesn't even work while they're inside their own homes. It boggles the mind that they kept their phones after the trial period, knowing that they would have to keep it for 2 years. Anyway...Sprint Rules, and Cingular does too, but they're the ones playing catch up.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    bcaslis,

I think Cingular is going to elimate the ATT way of charging for data. Cingular knows they need to be competitive. I just went to the Cingular website to simulate purchasing a Treo 600 and I did not get the $40.00 official line.

Nation 450 w/RolloverChange Plan$39.99 palmOne Treo 600Change Phone $349.99 AFTER MAIL-IN REBATE $399.99 Services & Features Change Features - Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Calling Included - Long Distance Included - Enhanced Voice Mail Included - Detailed Billing Included - Call Waiting Included - Caller ID Included - Three-Way Calling Included -

MEdia Works $19.99 Accessories Add Accessories
    Deposit Amount $0.00
    One Time Activation Fee $36.00
    Sub totals
    Shipping and Tax Calculated at checkout
    ======================================
    Calculated at checkout
    Total Due Monthly $59.98
    Total Due Today $399.99

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Yes, but although Sprint has the right idea for data ($15 unlimited per month) Cingular is still stuck in the AT&T mode of trying to charge through the roof for data. Although you can get data $20 per month apparently the official line is $40 per month for a PDA phone. Only Sprint and T-Mobile seem to have their act together on data. And to be honest in the areas I travel in T-Mobile coverage has been excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    So much hate...
    Must be very corrosive.
    back on topic.

show actually thinks some gsm provider will annonce this week?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    And we are forgetting horrible customer service with sprint......
    Felipe

Another day without an ACE, how will I survive? Have you seen my ACE?
    .................................................................................................... ..................
    You have survived last 2 months, and you will survive several more.
    (Advice from a Physician).
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Hi,

The local Cingular store told me that the Mpx220 Moto would not be available through Cingular stores in our market (Washington/Baltimore) but that the Treo 650 would be "sometime before Christmas." FWIW...
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    show actually thinks some gsm provider will annonce this week?
    Who is "show"?

Quote Originally Posted by eugarps
    The local Cingular store told me that the Mpx220 Moto would not be available through Cingular stores in our market (Washington/Baltimore) but that the Treo 650 would be "sometime before Christmas." FWIW...
    Encouraging.... PalmOne recently opened a new Treo Store in one of the Valley Fair Mall in San Jose, CA. It's about 50 miles away. I may go up there and check it out. Perhaps they will have some news. Ironically, PalmOne headquarters is closer to my house than the mall. It would be easier to drive there on my lunch break at work.

Mtreosexual
    Thanks for keeping us healthy.
    Last edited by specimen38; 12/11/2004 at 11:26 AM.
    Thanks for keeping us healthy.[/QUOTE]

LOL.
    Keep up the goodwork of making life easy and organized for overworked physicians, like me.
    I live in San Jose and have been to the Valley Fair store several times. No, they have no information on the GSM model. I will post should they be the first to tell.
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    Levyesq, I am glad you live closer. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Levyesq
    I live in San Jose and have been to the Valley Fair store several times. No, they have no information on the GSM model. I will post should they be the first to tell.
    Thanks... Tell us about the first Treo storefront in the U.S. What does it look like inside? I assume Sprint Treo 650s are pervasive and prominently displayed.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Levyesq, I am glad you live closer. Thanks. Thanks... Tell us about the first Treo storefront in the U.S. What does it look like inside? I assume Sprint Treo 650s are pervasive and prominently displayed.
    Yes, there are Sprint Treo 650's out to play with, calling out to you with their high-res screens. There has been a Palm Cafe there for over a year on the second floor. They spun off a Treo store on the first floor. It is well stocked with accessories, and the staff are very nice, if especially well informed. Both stores have no doors - they are out in the open. The Palm Cafe is particularly pretty, with several round stands holding Palm's to play with. The Treo store is by the escalator and not as imposing - just a counter and one round stand of Treo's, both 600's and 650's, for demonstration. Wait until after the holiday crowds to pay a visit, unless the GSM Treo 650 shows up before .
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    hang tight guys, i just saw the treo 650 commerical on tv and at the end i saw cingular and att logo along with sprint's as service provider. so it should be out soon.
    GSM people don't be fooled by these wanna bees. Sprint is certainly cheaper, why would we not move if it were better?
    Facts:
    I currently have Cell service with Cingular, Sprint and T-Maybe.
    In my areas So Cal, Cingular kicked **** on Sprint before the merger, and after the merger it really dominates, no question.
    Dr Buzzed or whatever says EDGE is newly Rolling out, please! the look at this EDGE map of EXisting coverage.
    http://www.cingular.com/download/GPR...rage_10_28.pdf

Media Works includes MMS, SMS and unlimited internet for $20 bucks, that is expensive?

I depend on messaging, read the boards, Sprint cares nothing of messaging or Vision. It works half the time and sometimes text messages take 2 to 3 days. Verizon users are getting $1000 data bills. Before unlimited, I got $60 data bill and Cingular took it off.

With GSM Cingular you can hav converstaions with SMS, thats what it was built for. Sprint, with me, feels no obligation to have messaging working at all.

If you look at these boards at issues always related to Sprint and Verizon why would anyone care about a few extra bucks. GSM rules.
    I guarantee that GSM users will not have half the issues that Sprint users are experiencing with 650's. We didn't with 600's, reports of 4 or 5 replacement phones, please. And still their battery life sucks.

Unfortunately in SO Cal T-Maybe really isn't that good, I think in the mid west it is pretty good. I am moving all 3 phones to Cingualar. If you read the news today it said that if the merger goes through for SPrint and Nextel, they are going to be poor for a whiles because they are going to have to support 2 incompatible networks for until thye can convert their customers, and it is prodicted that many of thier customers would bail.

I am not arguing that CDMA is newer technology, but at the level of service they are providing it is not better, not from what I read from users or from my experience here in So Cal.

Cingular will be updating their lines to provide even faster data than EDGE, it was announced two weeks ago. I am worried about compatibility, no, I am going to have gone through 2 new phones by that time and The Treo 1000 will probably support it.

And to top it, we have coverage in over 100 countries, and no it's not cheaper or easier to rent a phone. CDMA has three coutnries, US, Japan and South Korea, wow. CDMA tried to muscle Iraq into CDMA but the whole international community went into an uproar since no one else uses it.

GSM GSM GSM We have a choice.
    As I am leaving this forum of course another one of the daily messages about SPrint SMS and shortmail:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=63559
    cglaguna, that is interesting info on coverage. I'm using a Sprint 650 because I'm weak and couldn't wait. I will likely go back to GSM, although the data speeds on Sprint are very good. I don't have personal experience with EDGE, do you know how it compares to the CDMA data speeds in real life?

Finally, I had a really bad experience with AT&T but none with Cingular do you know: 1.) Does Cingular provide unlocking of their phone? AT&T used to refuse completely, T-Mobile would do it easily. This would be important for using a sim card in Europe for example. 2.) Does Cingular provide international roaming? T-Mobile would add it on request for no fee, AT&T charged a monthly fee to provide this.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Thanks Levyesq for the description. I will have to visit after the holidays. Cool Siamese cat in your avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Levyesq
    Yes, there are Sprint Treo 650's out to play with, calling out to you with their high-res screens. There has been a Palm Cafe there for over a year on the second floor. They spun off a Treo store on the first floor. It is well stocked with accessories, and the staff are very nice, if especially well informed. Both stores have no doors - they are out in the open. The Palm Cafe is particularly pretty, with several round stands holding Palm's to play with. The Treo store is by the escalator and not as imposing - just a counter and one round stand of Treo's, both 600's and 650's, for demonstration. Wait until after the holiday crowds to pay a visit, unless the GSM Treo 650 shows up before .
    cglaguna, EDGE map is compelling -- thanks for everything you said. Hopefully, we'll hear something this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    cglaguna, that is interesting info on coverage. I'm using a Sprint 650 because I'm weak and couldn't wait. I will likely go back to GSM, although the data speeds on Sprint are very good. I don't have personal experience with EDGE, do you know how it compares to the CDMA data speeds in real life?

Finally, I had a really bad experience with AT&T but none with Cingular do you know: 1.) Does Cingular provide unlocking of their phone? AT&T used to refuse completely, T-Mobile would do it easily. This would be important for using a sim card in Europe for example. 2.) Does Cingular provide international roaming? T-Mobile would add it on request for no fee, AT&T charged a monthly fee to provide this.
    EDGE I honestly don't know, I have been reading conflicting reports, so since the merger my speeds have been increased without EDGE, anything better is icing. But I use email and SMS heavily, data is not huge for me and I do admit that Sprint has faster data until we hear from the GSM EDGE 650 users.

1. Cingular has never locked a Treo up to now, I have tried to get info on this for the 650 and my rep cannot find any information confirming or denying this. I have heard rumors. Even if I did buy a Cingular 650, which I am not, I know I could get Cingular to unlock it. But P1 has said they were NOT locking GSM phones that they sell. ATT refused to unlock, but it was still done. I recently helped someone unlock his phone, get a free Cing/Sim and new Cing Plan.
    2. Yes they have it at no fee, and they must have just dropped the calling prices:
    http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/roaming_we

This is good to know as I am planning a 7 week tour of 6 different countries this summer, and it is going to be easier and cheaper just to roam. I was planning to buy sim cards there, but I think I will just Roam at $1.29 a minute I think that will be easier. Free incoming SMS. 50 cent out going is alot but, I guess I will be easy on that.